Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tripadvisor negative reviews

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Delacent

Patww79 wrote: »

Arrogant keyboard warriors who "punish" an establishiment because of what they perceive as failings and not giving even the slighest chance for the establishment to correct the issue is what makes tripadvisor bad.

But as above - some people are so perfect in the world and never ever make an error or do something a ittle off or ever have an off day. The Perfect Person.

So wonderful to meet you sir.

now we see it - a classic Tripadvisor Keyboard Warrior.

Most people of intelligence ignore all reviews by Keyboard Warriors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

• Advertisement

The classic response from a keyboard warrior "you must be in the business" - That tells me enough. You not as perfect as your posting made out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

So only leave good reviews or you're a keyboard warrior? You're absolutely deluded, are you running a charity for these establishments or what? Why do you want false reviews and inaccurate ratings? Have you a vested interest in keeping them false?

You are missing the point. None of us are perfect, we all have bad days (with exception to yourself). It's what we do in response to a mistake or failing which sets good customer service apart from bad customer service. Even the very best hotels have disgruntled customers and have to have CS departments. Simply because human nature being what it is, you can't please everyone.

If you are not happy with the cleanliness of a room, tell reception and see what their response is. If they say "tough s**t, the room was cleaned to the standards we expect", then by all means rip them apart. But if they apologise and send someone up straight away or upgrade you, then you be confident this is an abarration and they are very sorry for their mistake, would that deserve being ripped apart? I don't think so.

You on the other hand give no opportunity to the establishment and just ripped them. That is why posts like that on TA are usually ignored.

But hell, its great that you're perfect.

Melendez wrote: »
    Patww79 said that if he arrived at a dirty room he would mention it in his review. If it was fixed he would mention that in his review. That is just honest reviewing that should be encouraged. Some people would see it as a positive that a problem was quickly and efficiently fixed and maybe book on the basis of that. Possibly going through multiple reviews a trend might emerge of many people arriving to dirty rooms and some may choose to go elsewhere because of this. Alternatively there may be no such trend and the review showing a rare error being satisfactorily resolved stands out like a shinning beacon amongst the reviews.

I don't see any evidence of patww79 being a "Keyboard warrior" or "ripping apart" businesses without cause. I don't think you really understand how review sites work.

I travel extensively to many countries around the world on business and pleasure. And I use TA regularly when booking hotels and restaurants. I've stayed in fantastic 2star hotels and god awful 5star ones. I read reviews of both and have left multiple reviews both good and bad. So, I'd say I've a bit of experience and understanding, do you think it's a degree course?

If you read back through the thread, you would see patww77 said he does not agree with giving a hotel the chance to rectify the problem.

Here's what he posted:

"But all this 'offer the hotel the chance to remedy's is wrong. If it's bad it's bad and with the prices they charge then they need to be on the ball at all times. I want better service, not apologies."

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

OP hasn't even replied yet. Maybe something has changed recently but I've always found tripadvisor are transparent and fair when it comes to reviews. OP have you tried asking tripadvisor why it was taken down?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Sorry guys, long weekend of rugby.....

Let me just say that the hotel did ask us if we were happy with our stay on leaving and I said no. I gave a few examples of what happened and they did ask if we wanted to speak to a manager, to give feedback. Now the sweat was pouring out of me due to an illness (not going to say it was food poisoning) but myself and the missus were in the horrors, so we declined. Should have said something to the manager then but the missus wanted out.

I did email they hotel the next day when we received their survey and got the general canned response of "we'll take a look at the problems you pointed out" etc. Posted the review on tripadvisor the day after, which went into a pending state for 2 days and was then posted. I posted a detailed review not only outlining the issues we had but also the good points and the good experiences we had we hotel i.e the spa, swimming pool etc.

But when I checked the review again last week it was gone. Not only was it gone but the notifications from the posting were missing from my profile. They scrubbed the whole lot. I don't have a copy of the review, which in hindsight I should have taken, lesson learned there.

I should also just mention that we were only back from honeymoon and had stayed in some 5 star hotels abroad which were miles ahead of the 5 star standard that we experienced here.

I've emailed TA about it and am waiting on a response

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Delacent wrote: »
    Would you not have written to the hotel first and see if they would remedy the issue?

Why do people rush to "punish" places without exhausting the normal decent channels of restitution.

My guess is you exaggerated something and made a defamatory statement.

The whole idea of reviews is for other people to make up their minds. If you travel half way across the world and stay in a hotel and have a bad experience there's no point in contacting them to remedy the problem, no point in closing the stable door when the horse has bolted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

dubrov wrote: »
    They take it down if it violates their guidelines. Some people just end up ranting.

Contact them and they should tell you why it was removed?

Would they do the same if people were exaggerating with a positive review, somehow I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

I've written a fair few TripAdvisor reviews good and bad... only one never went live in that instance my wife suffered food poisoning after dining there... the day we checked out we asked for a manager and flagged it they didnt actually apologise just made excuses... I felt it was worth pointing out after we'd given the hotel the chance to address it in person.... 

The review didnt get published because allegedly TA contacted me to check what I had done about the food poisoning... I never actually got any email though...

I had put a similar review on booking.com and the hotel at that point contacted us and apologised properly for the food poisoning as well as for the poor service when we gave them an opportunity to address the issues.

I will credit any place with good and bad points no place is perfect.

You left bad reviews???

Was this for people who were not as perfect as yourself?

For those that understand, no explanation necessary, for those that do not, no explanation possible.

Yes I have left bad reviews, no I am not perfect, but I understand that nobody is.

I had a meal a couple of months ago in a top restaurant in New York where I had brought some clients. The service and food was terrible, We sent 2 steaks back, I asked to see the manager before I paid, I explained my gripe and then he proceeded to tell me I knew nothing about fine food and dining. I left a bad review, not a scathing one because I knew no one would read it.

Now had he apologised and acknowledged the validity of my complaint, and maybe threw the wine in for free, I would thought it was just a bad night and tried it again some other time. But he was an arse, so bad review.

My point being, you base your review on one isolated incident when someone could be having an off day. By not telling them about your experience and allowing them to redress it, you come across as a keyboard warrior when you then rip them anonymously on TA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Graces7 wrote: »

..... Like the comment re Priests Leap, a wild wild drive, that there were no bathrooms at the top...American of course.

Now that's a classic! The main reason for driving The Priest's Leap (a hair raising route, my missus hates when I drive it!) is its scenery and views, its remoteness, isolation and wildness.

The Yanks were probably completely p1ssed off that the nearest McDonalds was in Killarney!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

There's possibly a simple explanation for why some posters' negative reviews get pulled, you only have to look to a local restaurant review site for how it works. www.menupages.ie offers people in the restaurant business a premium service whereby they pay for a subscription which allows them to delete negative reviews concerning their business. Look at the bottom of their homepage and you'll see a link for 'trade login'.

There are two glaring problems with this system, the obvious one being that bad reviews get deleted but also that it gives rise to the temptation on the part of the website to post fake negative reviews, then send one of their salespeople out to offer the restaurant the option to have them deleted by paying for a subscription - good old-fashioned blackmail. Of course I'm sure they would never stoop to these tactics.

• Advertisement

I don't think this is a valid situation (poster described it as a 'top restaurant in New York') to use in a discussion about the general principle of raising an issue with management on the spot.

For starters, a 'top restaurant' in NYC has probably enough glowing reviews in all the glossy mags and the NY Times such that they don't care about general review sites used by peasants.

Secondly, we need to distinguish between the dynamics which are at play in a hotel vs. a restaurant. In a hotel, most problems can be fixed with no fuss and minimal expense to the hotel. Person on the front desk deducts an item from your bill or they pick up the phone, call housekeeping or whoever and the problem is sorted.

It's a completely different ballgame in a busy restaurant where (1) you are occupying a table which somebody else is waiting for when you are finished so the business has a financial incentive to get rid of you if you are difficult (2) other guests can hear what's going on, meaning that the longer the 'incident' lasts, the more hassle there is for the staff (3) there is the potential expense of replacing the food that you complain about.

Which means that in a situation where your repeat custom is not an issue (i.e. you're not Rupert Murdoch or the editor of Vogue), they probably feel that the most effective way to deal with you is to write you off as a troublemaker and get rid of you as quickly as possible with no explanations and no apologies.

Quick Update :

So I submitted a second more abrupt review for the same hotel and got an email back from TA saying that :

Thanks for your contribution! It appears that your review was submitted to the wrong business. In fact, it looks like you’ve discovered a business that’s not yet listed on the site!

But I resubmitted it on the Hotels page, like I did the first time. Something odd is going here.

In fact, it looks like you’ve discovered a business that’s not yet listed on the site!

Is that possible in TA? Don't you have to track down the business listing on the TA website, then click to add a review?

coylemj wrote: »
    Is that possible in TA? Don't you have to track down the business listing on the TA website, then click to add a review?

I don't use it much but yeah that's the way it works. All very suspect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Squatter wrote: »
    Now that's a classic! The main reason for driving The Priest's Leap (a hair raising route, my missus hates when I drive it!) is its scenery and views, its remoteness, isolation and wildness.

The Yanks were probably completely p1ssed off that the nearest McDonalds was in Killarney!

I'd love a link to the review, as I can't see it on TripAdvisor.

Update from TA
    Feb 27, 16:06 EST

Hello,

Thank you for contacting TripAdvisor.

Your review is not posted because you did not respond to the verification email sent to you. We sent you this verification because we noticed that you mentioned a possible bed bug issue at the property you reviewed. We wanted to double check with you and ask you to confirm the accuracy of your description of the experience by clicking a link in the email. Failure to do so within seven days may result in the removal of, or non-posting of your review. The verification email is sent as an extra check, so we will not post a review when the review was not verified via this link.

Would you mind trying to re-submit your review again and take a screenshot of the error message you keep receiving so I can forward this to our engineering team?

Thank you for your understanding. We look forward to seeing your reviews and opinions on TripAdvisor!

Best regards,
    TripAdvisor Content Integrity

Caroline

All lies i tell ye

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Tripadvisor is very much a business. At present there is a poster claiming to have been in loads of different places all over Ireland (sometimes at the same time) , leaving reviews (which would appear to be googled) and Tripadvisor don't want to know.

I have come across hotels and services emailing customers to"remind" them to write a review. I have no problem with people leaving a negative review, sometimes there's very little positive to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I'm not a fan of TripAdvisor at all, and I don't use it, as it's too full of biased, false or just poor quality reviews. Most people don't even realize that they're writing a poor review, but TA has given them a platform for their opinion.

But even as much as I dislike TA, you've got to admit that TA has done a magnificent job of convincing the world that it should exist. Businesses push it on their guests because they don't want bad reviews and they want the rankings. Nothing more annoying than getting a post-visit email from a hotel or establishment asking you to review them on TA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

This happens a bit on the Consumer forum. The OP raises what seems like a valid issue but as more details come out the plot thickens.

The OP said in his review that the hotel had bedbugs. That's not the same as saying the receptionist was rude or the sausages were lukewarm. TA might be rubbish but it's massively popular and a report of bedbugs could be very damaging to the hotel.

Of course TA have to investigate further because they're on the hook if the hotel threatens legal action. If the issue is in doubt they have to take it down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

To be honest I take TA reviews with a pinch of salt most of the time. It's always far easier to moan and complain than it is to praise and half the time the negative reviews are concerned with petty gripes that any reasonable person would just move past as soon as they happened.

I have no issue with such reviews being removed either. If your grievance is genuine fair enough but the vast majority of reviews on TA are to my mind petty and written by people who are just looking for a reason to complain.

Advertisement