Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tripadvisor negative reviews

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

This happens a bit on the Consumer forum. The OP raises what seems like a valid issue but as more details come out the plot thickens.

The OP said in his review that the hotel had bedbugs. That's not the same as saying the receptionist was rude or the sausages were lukewarm. TA might be rubbish but it's massively popular and a report of bedbugs could be very damaging to the hotel.

Of course TA have to investigate further because they're on the hook if the hotel threatens legal action. If the issue is in doubt they have to take it down.

Except the OP said it was all lies so who knows what happened?

OP did you mention bed bugs? Or, were the lies that TA did not contact you prior to removing your review.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Patww79 wrote: »
    The reviews are to inform other potential customers. If something isn't up to standard then it should be mentioned in a review whether they remedy it or not. If we start to accept letting hotels fix things only when asked then standards will slip dreadfully. You're paying for things to be right.

So standards of hotels will improve if we don't complain to the staff there and then? That makes no sense!
    Myself and the missus once got an absolutely dreadful breakfast in a hotel once. The coffee tasted horrible, the milk was off, the jam was out of date and the selection wasn't great.
    We spoke to the manager and pointed those things out. She took away the jam and she told us the coffee was delivered this morning and she would ring them and complain. Moreover she did not charge us for the breakfast.
    Maybe she put those things right afterwards, maybe she didn't, but at least she was told about the problem. It's no use sitting there, smiling and saying "yeah, everything's fine" and then leaving a sh*tty review on trip advisor.
    Of course a lot of people don't know how to complain properly, they think they have to make a big, angry scene, all you have to do is to point out what you don't like in a calm and polite manner.
    It's really not that hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Update :

Caroline (TripAdvisor)
    Feb 28, 09:09 EST

Hi,

I just checked our system and it appears that while the verification sent to [email][/email] shows as "sent", it may actually have not sent.

Long story short, I was able to publish your review and it now appears live on TripAdvisor: https://www.tripadvisor.com/***********

Best,
    Caroline

Boom

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bennyob

Update :

Caroline (TripAdvisor)

Hi,

I just checked our system and it appears that while the verification sent to [email][/email] shows as "sent", it may actually have not sent.

Long story short, I was able to publish your review and it now appears live on TripAdvisor: https://www.tripadvisor.com/***********

Best,
    Caroline

Boom

Page not found?

bennyob wrote: »
    Page not found?

I took out the link for privacy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Delacent wrote: »
    Would you not have written to the hotel first and see if they would remedy the issue?

Why do people rush to "punish" places without exhausting the normal decent channels of restitution.

My guess is you exaggerated something and made a defamatory statement.

Because you paid money for a level of service. You have the right to rate a place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Update :

Caroline (TripAdvisor)

Hi,

I just checked our system and it appears that while the verification sent to shows as "sent", it may actually have not sent.

Best,
    Caroline

Boom

It's kind of funny that you started the thread to accuse TA of deleting unflattering reviews, then everyone bailed in about how TA is full of fake reviews and/or lunatics having a rant, then it turns out the whole thing was down to TA having a robust system in place to check your review was genuine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

I took out the link for privacy

But you posted it on TA, then came on here giving out about it not being published, why the privacy now?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

We're did I say I wouldn't tell them there and then? Of course I'd say but I'd I were reviewing then I'd mention that the breakfast was rubbish and that the hotel said they were going to remedy the issue and didn't charge. You know, what actually happened. That way if there's later reviews saying the same then people looking up the hotel would know that the breakfast is bad and the hotel didn't remedy the issue. If there's none further then people know that they did actually remedy the issue.

There:
    If we start to accept letting hotels fix things only when asked then standards will slip dreadfully. You're paying for things to be right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Nightmare.

davo10 wrote: »
    But you posted it on TA, then came on here giving out about it not being published, why the privacy now?

Cause it has my RL details on the review.

Anyway the OP wasnt really about the post itself but about negative reviews being pulled down

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

It's kind of funny that you started the thread to accuse TA of deleting unflattering reviews, then everyone bailed in about how TA is full of fake reviews and/or lunatics having a rant, then it turns out the whole thing was down to TA having a robust system in place to check your review was genuine.

I knew this was going to happen and stated as much a few posts back. TA don't remove reviews for money or at the request of hotels/restaurants. It would be commercial suicide for them to do so.

It's kind of funny that you started the thread to accuse TA of deleting unflattering reviews, then everyone bailed in about how TA is full of fake reviews and/or lunatics having a rant, then it turns out the whole thing was down to TA having a robust system in place to check your review was genuine..

Well no that's not right

They pulled it because they said that I mentioned bed bugs in the review which I hadn't. Then when I questioned them about the verification email that they supposedly sent, they backtracked again and said that although the email on their server said sent, I may not have received.

All too coincidental for my liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭anewme

You can always identify the trip advisor idiots.

Over dramatic, self entitled, there's usually a huge story about how wounded they were and their romantic weekend ruined because the bacon at breakfast was cold or something in a similar vein.

As someone else says, disregard these as well as the saccharine sweet ones and you'll have near the truth.

I'm travelling soon and wanted to look up reviews for a couple of restaurants I'm going to go to in the area I'm going to visit. Not to read the reviews, more like to look at photos of my future dinners and make myself hungry!

my two favourite restaurants in the area were not even listed.....they are simp,e cater for "locals" food like rabbit stews, fish, goat curries. Not really touristy but really good, great value and excellent local wines suppose most of the people being local would not put up reviews, especially as the language is different.

Ironically the top restaurant listed, I found the most expensive, bland and touristy, though it really does depend on what type of experience you are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

My rule of thumb is ignore all negative reviews written by Americans on European hotels.

Their expectations are completely unrealistic, right down to expecting the fake smile and manners in hotels wherever they go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Please define "bad' though? It can very subjective surely?

And bad weather? Which does affect many attractions?

And TA do leave fair critical comments.

Advertisement