Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lowest Calorie Beer?

• 24-02-2017 4:18pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 19

I'm switching my drink of choice (Coors Light) to either Whiskey straight or with a sugar/calorie free mixer like Coke Zero

Just wondering what the lower calorie beers are and if there's a massive difference between the lowest calorie beer (pint not bottle) and a shot of whiskey?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

There is quite a bit less in a pub measure of whiskey than a pint of coors light, but that is mainly because there is less alcohol in the whiskey.

I think coors is 4.3%, a lot of whiskeys would be 40%, lets say its 43% then its 10 times as strong, but a shot is 35.5ml while a pint is 568ml. So a shot of whiskey is more like drinking a 330ml longneck of coors.

When comparing drinks like this it can be better to compare them per unit alcohol.

Since alcohol drinks are bizarrely exluded from food labelling rules it is notoriously difficult to find accurate figures online. Recipes vary around the world.

UK coors light is different than hours, but might turn up on the Irish market.

Coors light's Irish site actually does have info, so I would trust that. I guess they have it since many drinkers of it primarily go for it as a low cal option.

https://coorslight.ie/#/nutritional-information
    COORS LIGHT 100ML ALC 4.3% VOL

Per 100ml serving
    KCAL36.1
    KJ150.5
    CARBOHYDRATES2.6
    OF WHICH ARE SUGARS< 0.4
    FATS< 0.1
    OF WHICH ARE SATURATES< 0.1
    PROTEIN 0.3
    SALT< 0.1

so a pint is 205kcal

jameson also have info up
    https://www.jamesonwhiskey.com/ie/nutritional-information
    standard 40% jameson is 79kcal per 35.5ml, which is

35.5ml x 40% = 1420 "units"
    so a longneck is 330ml x 4.3% =1419 "units"

So if comparing per unit alcohol the shot and longneck are the same, and the longneck has 119kcal vs 79kcal for whiskey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

If you drink to get drunk or just for the mild altering quality of alcohol then ignore rest of post.

If you want to enjoy the taste of decent drink, then just drink less but drink something decent.

Coors is muck; drink it at room temperature and tell me what you think; it's served ice cold to hide that like most other mainstream beers.
    There are lot of lovely beers, Irish, European, USA etc, that while more expensive actually taste of something; of the top of my head Mescan triple, White Gypsy (any of them), Dungarvan stout or ales. Drink less of them but actually taste and enjoy something decent.

Ditto for whiskey, except you can get nice whisky for same price of your Jack Daniels; Powers, Jameson, Bushmills, Tullamore Dew; if you want to spend more there is an amazing array of them; Green Spot is current favourite.

If you need to add Coke zero, you actually don't like that whiskey.

I don't drink much, once a week maybe two beers and a tiny glass of whiskey, but I love to drink. No problem adding it into a healthy diet; just forget about calories for the two beers a week and just switch off..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

The hops in beer have prenylnaringenin and friends - turn into estrogen like stuff

Takes a fair bit though :

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/16772450/

Advertisement