Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do Electricians charge per day in 2017

Options
  • 24-02-2017 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I am wondering what, on average do Electricians charge per day in 2017 ?
    I have an electrician coming to my house to do 2 days work. He is charging me €600 plus VAT. I was a bit taken aback by this. Was I right or wrong ?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

dnme wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I have an electrician coming to my house to do 2 days work. He is charging me €600 plus VAT. I was a bit taken aback by this. Was I right or wrong ?

Depends on what they are doing.
    Did you get 3 quotes from registered, reputitable people?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭barrier86

wow. that is more than in thought it would have been. 156K per annum. I didn't think they were making that kind of money.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

barrier86 wrote: »
    wow. that is more than in thought it would have been. 156K per annum. I didn't think they were making that kind of money.

What are they doing for this fee though?
    Are they supplying all materials etc?

Also, it's only 78k per year, 300x5x52, allowing for no holidays etc

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭BsBox

kceire wrote: »
    What are they doing for this fee though?
    Are they supplying all materials etc?

Also, it's only 78k per year, 300x5x52, allowing for no holidays etc

And that's assuming they have work lined up for every single day of the year.
    Still, if that's the cost of labour alone, 300/day sounds pretty high.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

It's more likely an effective total package of about 60 grand using PAYE as a comparable, and reflecting foregone pension and other benefits. That's before considering the cost of doing business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

Work involved is as follows

Requires new earth to be run from CU to hot press
    New circuit and breaker run
    Terminate 2 new pumps in hot press
    Re-run emersion cable in hot press
    Relocate emersion switch to hall, counter sink into wall
    Locate and terminate new heating controls in utility, counter sink into wall
    Locate and terminate new thermostat in hall
    Terminate new cable at boiler
    Install new light switch in hot press to replace existing lethal one
    Test (He reckons testing can take up to 2 hours)
    Certify and sign off

• Registered Users Posts: 6,347 ✭✭✭secman

€37.50 an hour to cover his
    1.wages,
    2. PL /EL insurance
    3. Cost of running van
    4. Materials.
    5. RECI annual subscription
    6. RECI certs
    7. Any other overheads... accountant... printing, postage, stationery....etc etc

Did well to get it for €37.50 an hour to be honest as rates would vary from €40 to €46 an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

secman wrote: »
    €37.50 an hour to cover his
    1.wages,
    2. PL /EL insurance
    3. Cost of running van
    4. Materials.
    5. RECI annual subscription
    6. RECI certs
    7. Any other overheads... accountant... printing, postage, stationery....etc etc

Did well to get it for €37.50 an hour to be honest as rates would vary from €40 to €46 an hour.

For any self employed trades person
    To cover all expences eg responsibility
    Insurance ,tools ,pro tools don't come cheap ,keeping revenue from the door, courses and certs if they're reci and rgi and that dirty little word called profit
    35-40 €/hr just abouts covers it
    Expensive yes but thats the cost if doing things by the book

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Yet a GP could charge € 50 for a 10 minute visit to him.

Snobbery is alive and well

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭PANDDDKP

This is what annoys me.. I'm a tradesman. I price by the job, not by the day.. But sometimes people will insist on day rate and then you might say 150 euro per day, they have a heart attack! They say they aren't even getting paid that.. Yes they are, and more..

I don't get holiday pay, sick pay, I pay for my accountant, van, diesel, tools, insurance, advertising, materials, pension etc

So my 150 is gross, and that's assuming I have work every single day. These people that ask me my day rate are on more than that when they take into account holiday pay, sick pay, the accountants are paid for, no materials to pay for etc..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,090 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

dnme wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Assuming he's registered then he has to be insured. These are two musts when looking for an electrician
    Seems like a good price to me. I'd be paying more than half of it in tax so it's not as high as you think
    Remember this isn't all wages. He runs a business & has business expenses. I'm a plumber & I spend €100/€150 per month on tolls. I drive 500/600miles per week. this was costing me over €100 per week Diesel in a jeep but have a small van now so it's less. Last year my jeep insurance went from €500 to €1800 for no reason & I couldn't get it cheaper anywhere. It's down to €600 this year. I spend over €1000 on public Liability insurance. Accountant another €1000.€500 updating tools each year. We don't get paid holidays so some of what you are paying goes toward that. The list is really endless

OP when getting different prices (I always recommend this) make sure you are comparing like with like
    This the most important to look for imo: registered & insured

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

PANDDDKP wrote: »
    This is what annoys me.. I'm a tradesman. I price by the job, not by the day.. But sometimes people will insist on day rate and then you might say 150 euro per day, they have a heart attack! They say they aren't even getting paid that.. Yes they are, and more..

I don't get holiday pay, sick pay, I pay for my accountant, van, diesel, tools, insurance, advertising, materials, pension etc

So my 150 is gross, and that's assuming I have work every single day. These people that ask me my day rate are on more than that when they take into account holiday pay, sick pay, the accountants are paid for, no materials to pay for etc..

My painter buddy says to people "would you work for a day for the rate you think I should work for" which gets people thinking

He said he constantly gets people trying to hire him for 80-100 Euro a day which when you think of it, is absolute madness.

I'm assuming the rate you said there, 150 a day, isn't what you charge? Must be higher than that?
    Should be double at least

I'm not a tradesman by the way but I do not begrudge someone 300 for an honest full days work

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Hogan24

bmwguy wrote: »
    My painter buddy says to people "would you work for a day for the rate you think I should work for" which gets people thinking

He said he constantly gets people trying to hire him for 80-100 Euro a day which when you think of it, is absolute madness.

I'm assuming the rate you said there, 150 a day, isn't what you charge? Must be higher than that?
    Should be double at least

I'm not a tradesman by the way but I do not begrudge someone 300 for an honest full days work
    People won't pay any more than that. They'll get Jonny down the road to paint instead.. they don't know the difference between a good job and a bad job. I priced a job recently, I stupidly gave them a good discount because I knew them indirectly, they accepted, then came back a week later saying they got a better price and could I match it... They themselves are working in public jobs.

People want everything for nothing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

That price is very reasonable.
    I think this is a case of someone wanting a professional to do work for them but not wanting to pay for it.
    Amazes me how people expect you to work for nothing. I'm an electrician myself but don't do domestic work anymore for this very reason.
    If you want cheap labour then get someone who isn't registered or qualified to do the work. If you want a professional then pay them proper rates.
    Simples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Casey78 wrote: »
    That price is very reasonable.
    I think this is a case of someone wanting a professional to do work for them but not wanting to pay for it.
    Amazes me how people expect you to work for nothing. I'm an electrician myself but don't do domestic work anymore for this very reason.
    If you want cheap labour then get someone who isn't registered or qualified to do the work. If you want a professional then pay them proper rates.
    Simples.

i'd add that this works better with painters than plumbers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

Hogan24 wrote: »
    People won't pay any more than that. They'll get Jonny down the road to paint instead.. they don't know the difference between a good job and a bad job. I priced a job recently, I stupidly gave them a good discount because I knew them indirectly, they accepted, then came back a week later saying they got a better price and could I match it... They themselves are working in public jobs.

People want everything for nothing.

Yeah luckily he has a great rep and some commercial contracts so he is not crying out for work. He walks away from as many potential customers as he decides to work for.

But I understand the undercutting nature out there, only the other day I got a flyer in the door from a "painter" with cheap rates but I know the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

I guess the reason I started this thread, was to get a feel for what is reasonable. I don't employ tradesmen very often, infact this is the first time. So I just asked the question to get some guidance. The electrician himself is a good guy. He is registered, does good work and has a good reputation. He was here working all day today in fact.

So based on my new experience, and this thread, I now realise that his fee is reasonable and am happy to pay it. In fact I've now asked him to price up rewiring the entire house.

Advertisement