Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any runflat users? Goodyear or Hankook?

• 24-02-2017 6:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

Anyone using and have experience with runflats?

Am kinda tied to a particular dealer so the option is between Goodyear and Hankook with the Goodyear being about €32 more expensive. (I dont have the exact types other than brands so I know it may be hard to compare)

Hankook seem to becoming almost a premium brand and are now OE on certain Audi and BMW models.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Best to find out the exact models of tyres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭freddieot

Had Hancook on a Santa Fe that I previously had. Very good tyres. A PREMIUM brand, don't know...,more middle of the pack, I'd say..

However, never seen them on BMW. My current BMW had Michelin fitted as standard from the factory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

I would be ditching the runflats myself, nothing ruins a car faster than runflat tyres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

rex-x wrote: »
    I would be ditching the runflats myself, nothing ruins a car faster than runflat tyres

Current generation of run flat tyres are very good and way superior to previous versions. Yes they are firmer than standard radial tyres but still very comfortable in my experience.

OP, I've recently fitted Goodyear Eagle F1 AS3 run flats to the rear of my F10 and they are superb, grip is excellent and way better than the Dunlop SportMaxx they replaced. Have no experience of the Hankooks in run flats as they were not available in my car's size but generally the Hankook brand is a decent mid range tyre. Personally if you can afford to stretch to the Eagle F1s then I'd certainly recommend them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭macjohn

bazz26 wrote: »
    Current generation of run flat tyres are very good and way superior to previous versions. Yes they are firmer than standard radial tyres but still very comfortable in my experience.

OP, I've recently fitted Goodyear Eagle F1 AS3 run flats to the rear of my F10 and they are superb, grip is excellent and way better than the Dunlop SportMaxx they replaced. Have no experience of the Hankooks in run flats as they were not available in my car's size but generally the Hankook brand is a decent mid range tyre. Personally if you can afford to stretch to the Eagle F1s then I'd certainly recommend them.

Thanks Bazz.
    I think you have the msport with the 19's - my second se on 18s with the run flats have never found them uncomfortable.
    They goodyears he has in stock probably a lesser level than the eagle f1. :)

Freddie seems BMW using them for number of models
    https://www.google.ie/?gws_rd=ssl#q=hankook+oe+bmw&*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Cerco

rex-x wrote: »

Are you referring to tyre noise, comfort or something else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

Cerco wrote: »
    Are you referring to tyre noise, comfort or something else?

Everything, they are harder on the wheels and suspension and they haven't the sidewall flex to provide the same grip level as their non runflat equivalent, road noise and comfort are also effected but less so now than older models as mentioned... still wouldn't touch them with a bargepole

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

The worst thing about them is a puncture costs €250.

Ic your car is set up with run flats from the factory well regular tyres mess up the handling of the car?

Do you carry a can of foam?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

On second set of Pirelli on a F10 530. No complaints and I haven't the lightest foot in the world. No punctures and only time the went sideways was when time to change. Get very good milage out of them, I do close to 50k a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    The worst thing about them is a puncture costs €250.

I've had 3 punctures repaired in run flats for under €15 each time. Unless the sidewall is damaged there is no problem repairing a run flat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Pedro32561

On second set of Pirelli on a F10 530. No complaints and I haven't the lightest foot in the world. No punctures and only time the went sideways was when time to change. Get very good milage out of them, I do close to 50k a year.

What kind of mileage did you get out of the Pirellis? I just had a set on my F10 and I was disappointed with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Senecio wrote: »
    I've had 3 punctures repaired in run flats for under €15 each time. Unless the sidewall is damaged there is no problem repairing a run flat.

They wouldn't repair mine and ir was right in the middle of the thread.
    I was even topping up the tyre with air as I didn't like driving on it flat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

Pedro32561 wrote: »
    What kind of mileage did you get out of the Pirellis? I just had a set on my F10 and I was disappointed with them.

What type of Pirelli, centuro p7 ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

Have run flats on my e60 and thinking of ditching these. I find them loud and need 2 tyres so thinking of buying 4 normal tyres and fitting them.is there anything I should watch for? Price of run flats compared to normal tyres are huge. P. S I have bridgestone run flats already on

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Pedro32561

pa990 wrote: »
    What type of Pirelli, centuro p7 ?

Yes P7 Cinturato.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

Why are you tied to a particular dealer for supplying the tyres?

If it's a main dealer then prepare to pay way over what you need to pay. I priced two 19" Bridgestone RFTs from my local main dealer just out of curiosity ~ @ €749. The cheapest I could buy the tyres locally from a tyre centre was around €600 for Falken RFTs. In the end I bought two Goodyear Eagle F1 RFTs online for €450 delivered and paid €30 locally to have them fitted and balanced.

Why are you tied to a particular dealer for supplying the tyres?

Just owe him a turn (for something else) so want and have to give him the business on this occasion.

If it's a main dealer then prepare to pay way over what you need to pay. I priced two 19" Bridgestone RFTs from my local main dealer just out of curiosity ~ @ €749. The cheapest I could buy the tyres locally from a tyre centre was around €600 for Falken RFTs. In the end I bought two Goodyear Eagle F1 RFTs online for €450 delivered and paid €30 locally to have them fitted and balanced.

Bazz if the fitting was around limerick would you mind pm ing the name for future reference.
    Did that include disposal?

PM sent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

So is it better to fit normal tyres instead of these run flats

That's up to you but the price example from a main dealer I gave were extremely ott and can be bought cheaper elsewhere and smaller sized tyres tend to cost less. On smaller size tyres the price difference between non RFTs and RFTs is smaller maybe a difference of €100 for 4. Plus I'd still have to buy a space saver wheel in my case which would wipe out any savings I'd make by going with non RFTs. I also don't have a tyre well for a spare wheel either so I'd lose some of my boot space having a spare wheel sitting in it. I wouldn't be interested in relying on that tyre gunk either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

Pedro32561 wrote: »
    Yes P7 Cinturato.

What issues did you have with the P7's.?

I currently have Bridgestone Potenza, and was going to replace with P7's

PM sent.

Thanks dude. Will try them next time.

In general - On last car (on se suspension) I got way better mileage from bridgestone potenza than continental conti sports -

In terms of the original question - Will check what types the dealer has in goodyear and hankook and decide then. He put the hankook on his wife's f10.

Advertisement