Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Time Buyer - Question on negotiating Interest rates

Options
  • 24-02-2017 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

I am a first time buyer and have very recently put forward a booking deposit for a house .I do have an pre approval from 2 banks and wanted to know how whats the best way to negotiate with banks .
    • Property - 450 K
    • Loan approved 440 K
    • Mortgage amount needed-350 K

I'll be drawing much lower than the approved loan amount and hope to have a better interest rates in return for either of the banks concerned on the mortgage as I pay / can pay around 20 % of the total.
    I assume that there should be only one bank who contacts the EA office ?
    The house is quite old but dosent seem to need any repair and is newly refurbished .

Many thanks , raulG

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Some banks offer better interest rates for a lower LTV but that's about as good as you'll get. I can't see any bank negotiating a lower rate with you at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I've never heard of any negotiations regarding interest rates. Some banks give you a better rate depending on your LTV, but you'll usually find those details on their website, I don't think there's any room for negotiation there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

your LTV is now at 77%. I think the next reaccesment LTV for most banks is 50% LTV. Quite a bit to go until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭mickmac76

I agree with the other posters, the banks won't negotiate with you. Are you using a mortgage broker, they should be able to apply to several lenders and advise you on the best deal.

Advertisement