Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Workouts at home

• 24-02-2017 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭job seeker

Hi all,
    So I want to gain muscle and I'm basically looking for a workout plan, however I'm not going to be going to the Gym as I'm planning to be moving around the country for work. So I want to train at home.

The main areas I want to gain muscle is mainly my arms, chest and stomach/abdomen.

Any advice is great
    Thanks
    JS

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭arkrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Will you be bringing weights around with you while you travel or do you plan on just doing bodyweight exercises?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭job seeker

mickeyk wrote: »
    Will you be bringing weights around with you while you travel or do you plan on just doing bodyweight exercises?

Body weight mainly, but I was considering buying a chin up bar..

arkrow wrote: »

Do these programs work.. I was doubtful if I'm honest..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

The only site you need.

No equipment workouts.

Customizable (and printable) workouts.

http://darebee.com/

• Advertisement

job seeker wrote: »
    Body weight mainly, but I was considering buying a chin up bar..

Chin up bar is a great idea. You can build a tonne of strength with sqauats, lunges, push ups and chin ups, also add in planks, glute bridges etc.

If you really want to pack on muscle and look bigger though you'll need access to some heavy adjustable weights and an adjustable bench. You'll only get so far with bodyweight exercises. They're still absolutely worth doing though.

Do these programs work.. I was doubtful if I'm honest..
    If you eat right yea...but very few do that part of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

I like the Freeletics app. It's setup in a way that makes you push yourself, keep you accountable and consistent.

me_irl wrote: »
    The only site you need.

No equipment workouts.

Thanks for that I'll look into it.

Chin up bar is a great idea. You can build a tonne of strength with sqauats, lunges, push ups and chin ups, also add in planks, glute bridges etc.

If you really want to pack on muscle and look bigger though you'll need access to some heavy adjustable weights and an adjustable bench. You'll only get so far with bodyweight exercises. They're still absolutely worth doing though.

Could I do bodyweight exercises and then when I can see more results, maybe then join the gym for the access to weights? Because I could pay by visit with the gym..

• Advertisement

arkrow wrote: »
    If you eat right yea...but very few do that part of it.

Ah right, I seen insanity by shaun T would you consider it to be as good as the one you linked me to?

Beau wrote: »
    I like the Freeletics app. It's setup in a way that makes you push yourself, keep you accountable and consistent.

Cheers I'll have a look at it..

Ah right, I seen insanity by shaun T would you consider it to be as good as the one you linked me to?

His max30 or T25 are better. But try this, just need chin up bar and 1 dumbbell.

http://dysfunctionalparrot.com/health-and-fitness/22-minute-hard-corps/

Could I do bodyweight exercises and then when I can see more results, maybe then join the gym for the access to weights? Because I could pay by visit with the gym..

Of course. If you do bodyweight exercises 3-4 times a week with good intensity you will improve every aspect of your health, strength and fitness. Join a gym after a while or do a mix of both from the start.

You mentioned in your op you want to build your chest and arms. Don't neglect your legs and back. You need to hit the whole body every workout for the best results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭bladespin

Argos has always been great for the home gymer.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Those argos links have nothing on them but if you do look at Argos for weights, go for the ones with cast iron plates. The vinyl ones are a bit shyte and the cast iron ones will at least have a resale value

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Of course. If you do bodyweight exercises 3-4 times a week with good intensity you will improve every aspect of your health, strength and fitness. Join a gym after a while or do a mix of both from the start.

You mentioned in your op you want to build your chest and arms. Don't neglect your legs and back. You need to hit the whole body every workout for the best results.
    Was about to post that.

Front for show. Back for go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭luketitz

Thinking along the same lines myself, just have yoga mat and chinup bar to date, lookin' to get the finger out some day soon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

The only site you need.

No equipment workouts.

Thank you. Unbelievable website.
    Started it today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭freemenfitness

Bodyweight exercise is something I work extensively with if you are working strength and want to pay for a program I would highly recommend the following. All include full body workouts as well as warm ups and mobility work etc.

Integral strenght by GMB
    https://gmb.io/is/

Foundations by gymnastic bodies
    https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/training/

If you want a program for free

The bodyweight program from reddit
    https://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/wiki/kb/recommended_routine

Or you can google overcoming gravity or building the gymnastic body which you might find a pdf of online.
    Alternatively you can find a good PT do do you up a program although there are only really a handful I know of who have extensive knowledge in bodyweight programs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

shutup wrote: »
    The only site you need.

No equipment workouts.

Thank you. Unbelievable website.
    Started it today.

I've been using darebee for just over 6 months, did their HIIT and Advanced HIIT, got great results from it. Currently doing the Cardio Trim and Abs program, military fit is next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If you really want to pack on muscle and look bigger though you'll need access to some heavy adjustable weights and an adjustable bench. You'll only get so far with bodyweight exercises.

I'm not sure I agree with that.

If you keep going with BW moves you can get into all sorts of advanced stuff. Handstand press-ups, muscles ups, levers, planche, etc

I'd guess that the average gym goer can't do any of them, let alone for 12+ reps.

Have to agree with what Mellor said above the big reason why most people fail to get bigger and stronger with BW work is that they usually dont move on to move advanced movements. Its like only working out with one weight, you can do it but it becomes much harder to progress if you dont add weight. For most BW stuff this is done by increasing leverage and or load eg planches, one arm pull ups etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

I've been using darebee for just over 6 months, did their HIIT and Advanced HIIT, got great results from it. Currently doing the Cardio Trim and Abs program, military fit is next.

I'm doing military fit. It's early days so I'm not sure what to do after. I might just do it again but do it better and add in more rounds.
    The programs seem so easy to follow and seems really well balanced with strength, cardio and flexibility.
    Darebee is worth a thread of its own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

shutup wrote: »
    Darebee is worth a thread of its own.

I'm not affiliated with Neila Rey or Darebee, but just thought it's a great all-in-one and super easy for a beginner to get motivated / customise a workout.

The Darebee Twitter also tweets "Daily Dares" and "Monthly Challenges".

https://twitter.com/darebees

Mellor wrote: »
    I'm not sure I agree with that.

If you keep going with BW moves you can get into all sorts of advanced stuff. Handstand press-ups, muscles ups, levers, planche, etc

I'd guess that the average gym goer can't do any of them, let alone for 12+ reps.
    Fair enough. I would imagine that the level of effort required to get really big and strong that way vs using a barbell wouldn't really make sense for most people though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Fair enough. I would imagine that the level of effort required to get really big and strong that way vs using a barbell wouldn't really make sense for most people though.
    There might be a stage where linear nature of barbells is simpler than increasingly advanced BW moves.
    I wasn't saying it completely the same, but rather it's a moot point as most people aren't getting to that stage.

Example pull-ups vrs lat pull down.
    If you get to the point where you are banging out 10+ reps of strict chest to bar pull-ups (with 20kg weight vest added), then maybe you are running out of options. But most people are close to that. There's a big difference between the above and chin to bar from a half hang.

Hi all. I've not been active on this lately due to college work, as it's my final year.

However, I've been thinking about this alot lately.

I'm considering getting on of Shawn T's programs and the adding my own exercises around that program. I.e. Do shawns programme in the morning and evening do exercises such as sit ups, push ups, planks, using the chin up bar as well.

The reason I'm considering doing this is because Shawn T's programs appear to be cardio which I believe is more for weight loss than anything else. Would I be right in thinking this?

Any advice at all is appreciated. Thanks very much all for the advice so far. :)

• Advertisement

@Mellor barbells linear progression can be easier to a point but most people are not that aware of the options available for BW exercises. With the pull-up example, you could go to l-sit pullups, varying grips, one arm, pullovers, weighted and various other options.

@Jobseeker diet is for weight loss cardio makes your heart strong and strength makes your heart and body strong. Yes, they will of course help with weight loss but diet plays the biggest role.

@Jobseeker diet is for weight loss cardio makes your heart strong and strength makes your heart and body strong. Yes, they will of course help with weight loss but diet plays the biggest role.

Thanks
    I should have said though, that I'm very thin as it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

Stop considering and start doing anything advised already. It should take less than an hour from your day for the days that you do train.

Beau wrote: »
    Stop considering and start doing anything advised already. It should take less than an hour from your day for the days that you do train.

Ah ya, but I just want to make sure what I'll be doing is going to be beneficial. Anyway it'll be about May I'll be starting it as I'm busy with college until then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Hi. Sorry to hijack the thread but it saves me starting a new one.
    I've just been gifted some gym equipment from someone emigrating.
    They have given me about 100kgs of weights,a barbell,an ez curl bar, dumbbells,a bench for sit ups,bench press bench and a practically brand new stand alone preacher curl bench. I also already have a treadmill at home that I use regular enough and don't mind and actually enjoy using it.

I've no experience with weights and I'm not looking to bulk up to a massive size or anything but I would like to use them now that someone has given these to me.

I run a lot (Marathons,half's,10k etc) and don't want to give that up so basically I'm looking for some sort of program that I can incorporate the weights into my running but also gain a little strength/muscle/tone up a bit.

I'm 38 male and I'm 12stone7lbs if that helps.
    I tried it out a bit last night and did some bench presses. Without actually knowing how much I could lift I put 45kg on and found it reasonable enough and did 3 sets of 10.

Anyway sorry for the long post and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

@Op as Mellor said just start doing something even 30 minutes a day will make a big difference. If you have 30 minutes to watch a tv show in the evening you have enough time to do something. As was said do something if you're very thin then that's, even more, a reason to start eat well and exercise lots I used to be very thin the only way to fix that is with effort.

@Casey78 check out the stickies or a program like stronglifts 5x5 for something simple. If you don't want to add much size keep the intensity (weight) high and reps low. Strength work will benefit your running massively which is why many runners lift weights eg Usain Bolt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Ah ya, but I just want to make sure what I'll be doing is going to be beneficial. Anyway it'll be about May I'll be starting it as I'm busy with college until then.

You'll never have a healthy lifestyle/body if you let "I'm busy" be an excuse to do nothing. You have to create a balance in your life. I sincerely doubt anyone actually doesn't have the time to work out, it's just an excuse. The busier and more stressed you are the more important it is to fit in some exercise, it's great for stress management.

Your health isn't something you fix in a certain period, like a building a house, it's like maintaining a garden, you've got to keep at it. You don't schedule it in for later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

@Casey78 Strength work will benefit your running massively which is why many runners lift weights eg Usain Bolt.

Good for sprinters who want explosive drive power but I don't think long distance runners lift, do they?

Most don't but I have seen that there is a reduction in injuries for those who do. Due to stronger joints less laxity in them etc. Although if you are looking to improve your endurance it can help with increasing the time to exhaustion. But of course, if your main aim is running then it will only make up a small part and would be better used for injury prevention all depends on your goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭water-man

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Good for sprinters who want explosive drive power but I don't think long distance runners lift, do they?

Long time ago, but once spotted Catherine McKiernan doing some medicine ball work. To this day I've never seen anyone throw a medicine ball as hard as her. And I think shes as far away from bulky as you can get.

WM

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

water-man wrote: »
    Long time ago, but once spotted Catherine McKiernan doing some medicine ball work. To this day I've never seen anyone throw a medicine ball as hard as her. And I think shes as far away from bulky as you can get.

WM

You are talking about HIT not a weighlifting regime that incorporates barbell lifts that sprinters would do as a part of their training, as far as I know some long distance runners do body weight and a bit of HIT training.

• Advertisement

Zillah wrote: »
    You'll never have a healthy lifestyle/body if you let "I'm busy" be an excuse to do nothing. You have to create a balance in your life. I sincerely doubt anyone actually doesn't have the time to work out, it's just an excuse. The busier and more stressed you are the more important it is to fit in some exercise, it's great for stress management.

Your health isn't something you fix in a certain period, like a building a house, it's like maintaining a garden, you've got to keep at it. You don't schedule it in for later.
    Yeah i work full time, just sat some insane exams, i think i got in my 3x week regardless. Less cardio than I'd have liked but possible

Advertisement