Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lbs vs wiggle

Options
  • 24-02-2017 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭

Buying ultegra pedals for bike,lbs have them for 180 Euro,wiggle for 100,what to do??????do I say to Lbs that they are well overpriced in comparison,or do i just buy from internet

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

If it's a store you use and would like to keep in your area at least give them the opportunity to price match.

No guarantee they will match but they might get close enough and you never know when you might be stuck for a spare part.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Ask them to price match (unlikely) but at that difference even the most loyal of LBS punters would buy online.

Like others I do my utmost to get stuff done in the LBS as they are extremely handy for non mechanical types like myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,537 ✭✭✭✭ted1

dahat wrote: »
    Ask them to price match (unlikely) but at that difference even the most loyal of LBS punters would buy online.

Like others I do my utmost to get stuff done in the LBS as they are extremely handy for non mechanical types like myself.

I use the LBS for items I need to have asap or for small bits and pieces. with three kids to it's impossible to justify paying significant price differences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

niallo76 wrote: »
    Buying ultegra pedals for bike,lbs have them for 180 Euro,wiggle for 100,what to do??????do I say to Lbs that they are well overpriced in comparison,or do i just buy from internet

Neither pay for r550 and drink the difference.

Even cheap shimano pedals work really well

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭niallo76

Thanks for replies,yep,I'd love to support the LBS,but 80 Euro is too much of a difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

I used to have this dilemma but stopped having it after the LBS failed to budge on a price a few times. Recent examples were zonda wheels , LBS wanted 580 euro for wheels i can get for 350 online.

Despite being a regular customer for services and bits and bobs they wouldn't move...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

They have to make a living.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

different area of retail, but i was once shown the wholesale price of an item, being charged to my usual camera shop, which was about 10% higher than the retail price an (irish) online seller was charging. i.e. to price match, the camera shop would have made a straight loss of €20. the difference was probably due to the bulk which the online retailer was ordering in.

would be interested to hear if a similar situation exists for bike shops; say the LBS sold one pair of those pedals a week, and the online retailer sells 20. and that's not taking into account the overheads of running a retail store vs. an online operation based out of an industrial unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

I think the inevitable long term result is that the LBS will become "service centres", will charge properly for their time and will sell only consumables. They simply can't compete with the big online stores!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

different area of retail, but i was once shown the wholesale price of an item, being charged to my usual camera shop, which was about 10% higher than the retail price an (irish) online seller was charging. i.e. to price match, the camera shop would have made a straight loss of €20. the difference was probably due to the bulk which the online retailer was ordering in.

would be interested to hear if a similar situation exists for bike shops; say the LBS sold one pair of those pedals a week, and the online retailer sells 20. and that's not taking into account the overheads of running a retail store vs. an online operation based out of an industrial unit.

There was an interesting link on yacf.co.uk about online v lbs.

Shimano price goods depending on the economic block they sell into, USA, Europe, Asia wherever.

Big online stores with a presence in different blocks can play the system along with economies of scale and playing with currency movements. The Irish lbs has to buy from Madison (I think).

I wouldn't be surprised if lbs can't buy lots of products for price online stores can sell them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

The Rapha store and to a certain extent the Cyclesuperstore are heading in that direction - experience based retail. That's a trend across retail generally, not just cycling.

My lbs is close to a major college and he cleans up on repairs & consumables. 35 euro for what he can do well in minutes and there's a constant stream of business. He says his Park Tools only last a year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

just checked the price difference between wiggle and a shop near me (not my usual one) where i asked about a 105 chainwheel recently - LBS quoted €170, wiggle are €110 or thereabouts; not quite as big a difference as the OP's example.
    i asked would the bike shop include fitting in the price, and was given an emphatic 'no'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭clog

The prices that the normal Lbs pays wholesale and what the major online stores can get them for is massive. I was looking at a pair of levers and they were €5 cheaper from Chain Reaction retail than the irish supplier wholesale.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭mh_cork

I appreciate that shops have higher overheads and have to make a profit. But the difference is almost 100% for a fairly common item.

If the problem is with the supply chain, i.e. distributors charging more for Ireland, then I feel zero guilt about buying online. If the difference to the price is mostly going to the middle-man and not the LBS, why should I be fleeced?

I do feel some sympathy for the LBS. They are kept going with the B2W scheme, and if it goes, then a lot of them might go under. But if they are being fleeced by their suppliers, then they need to take action - maybe even buy from the online retailers themselves.

i suspect they wouldn't be able to offer a warranty in those circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭mh_cork

i suspect they wouldn't be able to offer a warranty in those circumstances.

Good point about the warranty.

But I really think that the LBS should be more proactive in telling its suppliers to get stuffed if this is what is happening. I want to support the LBS, but if the middleman is making more profit on the item than the LBS, its not right. And as a consumer, why should I support that business model?

Another example is that some bike brands cannot be bought online, only through some dealers. Why? Because it keeps the prices artificially higher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Got a new crankset on CRC and my lbs for it for €25.

Both of us are happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭rodneyTrotter.

just checked the price difference between wiggle and a shop near me (not my usual one) where i asked about a 105 chainwheel recently - LBS quoted €170, wiggle are €110 or thereabouts; not quite as big a difference as the OP's example.
    i asked would the bike shop include fitting in the price, and was given an emphatic 'no'.

Whoever told you that in the shop needs training fast
    He should have said he could fit it for an extra 10/15€ therefore at least making some effort to get the sale making a customer happy and likely to come back .
    It's all about building relationships. Unfortunately some people never see the bigger picture or think you are pulling a fast one and insulting them.

as mentioned, not my usual shop, and the above explains why!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Having this dilemma myself. Have had a dodgy freehub on a wheel that came with the Giant bike. One replacement under warranty, but replacement lasted about the same time before giving trouble (and I've been ultra careful about doing anything that may cause issue second time around, although don't think I was culpable the first time, and LBS saying they're just where they save money).

LBS have been fine to deal with over it, but their initial offer for a replacement wheel was they could do a wheelset only (not just the rear that's needed), and guts of a third higher for that wheelset than online. Really not sure on the best approach to take to maintain the relationship, as basically can't justify the cost difference?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I know a mechanic/LBS who recently bought his own wheels from Wiggle I think as he couldn't get them any cheaper from the wholesaler. He doesn't do loads of stuff as he keeps having people tell him it's cheaper but he'll gladly fit any of it for a fee. That said, he does sell some fairly high end bikes too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

I remember chatting with a (now closed) bike shop owner. One of the brands he sold did a deal with CRC and started selling their bikes online. The bikes were cheaper on CRC than the wholesale price he bought them at, impossible to compete with that and not a nice thing to have to deal with mid season when he still had stock to sell.

It looks like the "buy online, fit in LBS" model will be the only way for LBS to compete.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    They have to make a living.

I think everyone undertands that, but there are some LBS who are just taking the piss.

I was quoted €37.50 recently by the Edge in Cork for an Ultegra 6800 Bottom Bracket, I got one delivered for €12 from Wiggle

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

It looks like the "buy online, fit in LBS" model will be the only way for LBS to compete.

Depends to an extent on the manufacturer as well. Some have a business model that supports their local resellers a bit better than others, e.g. bought a Frog bike for youngest recently and it was the same price locally as online. For higher end bike manufacturers there's good reason to develop a network of quality resellers rather than being beholden to the big box droppers where you can only really compete on price.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dvntie

Got a new crankset on CRC and my lbs for it for €25.

Both of us are happy.

This is the way forward

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

I actually had this discussion with one of the guys in my LBS lately about Ultegra pedals as it happens. His supplier was charging him €135 for a set but they could be bought online for around €25 less. He said he just couldn't compete with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,398 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

I think everyone undertands that, but there are some LBS who are just taking the piss.

I was quoted €37.50 recently by the Edge in Cork for an Ultegra 6800 Bottom Bracket, I got one delivered for €12 from Wiggle

But that's the problem wiggle are buying in bulk and making a euro or 2 the bike shop prob ably won't make more than a fiver. Were the products both boxed items . A lot of stuff I get on line isn't boxed whilst the lbs ends up with a bb in a box which no doubt cost loads more trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭All My Stars Aligned

I remember when the bike to work scheme was introduced a number of bike shops prices seemed to increase overnight. About 3 months prior to it being introduced I was looking for a new bike and me not being the most decisive person was still looking after it was introduced. Over that period bikes prices rose from between 100 - 200 euro. When I questioned them about it I was met with a kind of tough **** attitude. Since then I do my best not to buy anything from Dublins bike shops. What goes around comes around...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

I personally know quite a few guys in the bike shop business in Dublin .... if any of them are making a fortune they're keeping it well hidden!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭All My Stars Aligned

C3PO wrote: »
    I personally know quite a few guys in the bike shop business in Dublin .... if any of them are making a fortune they're keeping it well hidden!!

I'd imagine you right but how some of them behaved when the BTW scheme was introduced to my mind was terrible and thanks to that I now always buy online. It also gave me an incentive to learn how to properly maintain my bikes.

There are lots of other things that I buy regularly that can be found cheaper online but I will always try to buy locally even if it proves to be a bit more expensive.

Advertisement