Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IPHONE 5S- refusing to repair

Options
  • 24-02-2017 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm hoping to get some advice on here and see if others ever found themselves in a similar position. I bought my IPhone 5s with 3 originally last May.
    I had a problem with my screen and basically it wouldn't function and I was getting messages but couldn't unlock the home screen etc. I brought it to CompuB as they were closer and they said it was out of warranty so I would have to pay for the repair. It had a minor scratch on the bottom and one on the top, however, this had nothing to do with the fault. CompuB repaired it in December.
    I was using it last week and put it away in the desk drawer last Thursday and went to take it out and nothing happened. I just got an apple symbol on the phone and charging it did nothing either. I brought it to 3 as it was on my way home and they said they would send it away for me. I got it back on Thursday and the repair company refused to repair it due to it being out of warranty because it was interred with by an outside party (think they were trying to suggest I sent it to a company not affilliated with Apple). I have spent all day trying to prove my case and point and was informed by 3 (over the phone) that iseeing as I got my phone repaired by CompuB but bought it with 3 my warranty is automatically void. I didn't know this was a genuine thing? And if so, I was never made aware of this?
    Has anyone got any insights on this? The terms and conditions only outline 'we recommend that you bring it to a 3 store' but it doesn't explicitly state it has to be 3 or else my warranty is void. Very confused and annoyed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

You still have consumer law rights if the phone is OOW

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

You still have consumer law rights if the phone is OOW

And what would that give me rights for? out of interest?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

CompuB is an authorised Apple service provider. If only they and Three have repaired the phone, then it’s still within warranty.

Forget Three. Bring it to CompuB and explain what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭sheepy01

Just flash it in DFU mode in itunes and give it a shot if you dont want to wait, you have lost your data anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

CompuB is an authorised Apple service provider. If only they and Three have repaired the phone, then it’s still within warranty.

Forget Three. Bring it to CompuB and explain what happened.

Three are not authorized repair centre actually. Many issues I haves seen with this, three will send phones to unauthorized repair centre. Had a personal experience with this when dealing with Apple.

My advice is to Phone Apple also and get advice from AppleCare and the consumer law dept. If anything they are great at advising and giving direction, even if they cannot directly help.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

flexcon wrote: »
    Three are not authorized repair centre actually. Many issues I haves seen with this, three will send phones to unauthorized repair centre. Had a personal experience with this when dealing with Apple.

My advice is to Phone Apple also and get advice from AppleCare and the consumer law dept. If anything they are great at advising and giving direction, even if they cannot directly help.

I assume they only do this when the phone is out of warranty?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

I assume they only do this when the phone is out of warranty?

Yes exactly, the issue though, is that if Apple have any issues like say " iPhone 6s battery replacement program" and you brought back your iPhone in the mean time to get it repaired, or, even a glass replaced form unauthorized centre through three, then you cannot get a refund, and they will also not replace the battery as it has already been opened up with

Now word of caution on this point, it looks that recently Apple may have changed their opinion on this and any repairs carried out, as long as it hasn't effected other components of the device, they will still repair and fix. So my info may be out of date.

Advertisement