Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking a break from Teaching Council.

Options
  • 24-02-2017 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭

I've completed my first year of teaching and have finally got my full registration with the Teaching Council. Due to various reasons, not I imagine very unique to me or this thread, I decided to depart teaching when my last contract ended and have now started work in industry.

I don't know how long this break might be, or if it may even turn into a permanent move. But I wonder what are the implications of leaving and then at later time trying to rejoin the TC? Of course there ll be vetting to be done but are there any hoops to jump through to reregister with them? Or should I just keep paying my subs until I return or somehow know I won't...?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

darlett wrote: »
    I've completed my first year of teaching and have finally got my full registration with the Teaching Council. Due to various reasons, not I imagine very unique to me or this thread, I decided to depart teaching when my last contract ended and have now started work in industry.

I don't know how long this break might be, or if it may even turn into a permanent move. But I wonder what are the implications of leaving and then at later time trying to rejoin the TC? Of course there ll be vetting to be done but are there any hoops to jump through to reregister with them? Or should I just keep paying my subs until I return or somehow know I won't...?

As far as I know you will have to go through the registration process again which can be a couple of months or more depending on when you register. If you think it will be a short term break or if you're considering supervising/correcting it may be worth your while holding onto your registration.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You can be sure it won't be easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭darlett

spurious wrote: »
    You can be sure it won't be easy.

Yeah I have my concerns about that. I have found them slow and tricky enough to navigate in the past. Initially rejecting a form with classroom hours on it for the slightest error by a former headmaster of mine and posting it back to me after a month or so when surely a 2 minute phone call to the school would have sorted it out, if they were working with us.
    I'm registered til next January-doubt I can suspend it anyway?-so I don't need to be rash but just preferring to consider it when it's in no way urgent. €65 a year is a fairly harmless tax in the grand scheme of things but still if I'm going to be out its a bit of a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭ngunners

I've done exactly what you are planning to do - let my registration slip as I had no idea if my move would be a permanent thing or not.

After two years, when I moved by back to Ireland, I contacted the teaching council and received conflicting information. To cut a long story short, I had to jump through hoops to get re-registered with them (and pay the registration rather than the renewal fee). In hindsight, I should have maintained my registration. It wasn't worth the hassle.

My advice: Keep paying the expletives until you're fairly certain your move will be permanent.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I would concur with the above, easier to keep it going

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

On a related note, has anyone heard rumours that once they have vetted all the legacy people (pre TC days) that they then intend bringing in regular renewing of vetting for everyone? Lots of lovely form-filling and bureaucratic nonsense.

Child protection and vetting is all well and good, but doesn't help that family members are a far more likely danger to a child than a random teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Haven't heard that but any Govt is seriously scared about another Ian Huntley (didn't his girlfriend get out of jail?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

On a related note, has anyone heard rumours that once they have vetted all the legacy people (pre TC days) that they then intend bringing in regular renewing of vetting for everyone? Lots of lovely form-filling and bureaucratic nonsense.

Child protection and vetting is all well and good, but doesn't help that family members are a far more likely danger to a child than a random teacher.

Yes, that's coming down the tracks. I dont mind it happening every few years, but what really bugs me is doing for every club im involved in on top of it. Why can't they issue us with some kind of Garda vetting passport to use for everything.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

The vetting of people previous vettted has already started . This will mean bigger backlogs to re-register .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MrJones1973

What a fxxx useless creation the council is. They had to have their arms twisted to lower their fees. Its just another Quango for people who like sitting on quangos.

• Advertisement

What a fxxx useless creation the council is. They had to have their arms twisted to lower their fees. Its just another Quango for people who like sitting on quangos.

While I do agree with you - there is one positive - they removed the 'unqualifieds' from teaching because years ago anyone with a degree could easily walk into a school and sub - thankfully this has stopped this (I know there are exceptions).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

There's a lot subbing still by getting registered under the further education sector and also the 5 day rule. Also the DES changed the rules on the limited amount of days that teachers on career break could sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

OP, if the decision is between having to pay the registration fee again and go through a mountain of paperwork to reregister, I'd keep paying the fee.

Registration is €200. Annual fee is €65. So you can pay 3 years renewal before it would cost the same as re-registering and without any of the hassle. I'd imagine you'll have a fair idea after 3 years if you are going to consider a return to teaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Rodar08

OP, if the decision is between having to pay the registration fee again and go through a mountain of paperwork to reregister, I'd keep paying the fee.

Registration is €200. Annual fee is €65. So you can pay 3 years renewal before it would cost the same as re-registering and without any of the hassle. I'd imagine you'll have a fair idea after 3 years if you are going to consider a return to teaching.

Registration is 200 Euro?? I’m in a bit of a flap here if anyone can help me.. edit .. I’m restoring my registration so I paid €90. Ok that’s cleared up. Now the rest .. 4 months?

So I registered first in 2009 then let it lapse in 2014 when I left subbing to start my family and subbing just didn’t work alongside that. Now I’m going back and renewed my registration about 2 months ago. Received a letter to say they’d received my €90 and they they would be in touch. Haven’t heard a dickie bird since. I’m starting subbing again now as soon as I get the call anytime from next week on (after 4 and a half years away omg 🙈) and I’ve just read that on returning you must register 4 months prior to starting teaching and something like I won’t get paid until I’m registered??

Can anyone answer me about this because I’m in a bit of a spin at the moment. Spurious? You’ve been really helpful to me in the past. The childminder is all set to begin as soon as I do and will be expecting to get paid. The school is expecting me back now in January. Am I going to not even be able to teach until it comes through? If my registration is pending or something? If I can go ahead and teach will I not actually get paid until it’s through?

Thanks guys. All advice appreciated

Rodar08, if you do a search, can you find yourself on the register?

Rodar08, if you do a search, can you find yourself on the register?

Hi again Spurious :) I’ve searched but no joy, I’m not on it by name or by my old number (just in case they just reactivated my old number)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭ouxbbkqtswdfaw

What a load of, legislative bull sh.

I swear if the flippin teaching council end up being the cause of this amount of stress to me after everything I’ve been through subbing since 2006 and not being made permanent all those years over the recession etc. I may very well lose my actual mind at the man. Someone will get shouted at. Very shouted at too!

The teaching Council crushes the spirit of the best teachers.

Teaching Council, you lay up laws on teacher's backs, and do nothing to help them. Shame on you!

• Advertisement

Nurses Council you do the same. Driving nurses out of the profession.

Wouldn't it just be faster to ring the TC and ask them if your registration has been updated. Better just to play dumb and not mention re-registration until you have to.

Just say something like you have forgotten your login. On the otherhand if you still have your login presumably you can just go on and see if your registration is up to date.

Wouldn't it just be faster to ring the TC and ask them if your registration has been updated. Better just to play dumb and not mention re-registration until you have to.

Just say something like you have forgotten your login. On the otherhand if you still have your login presumably you can just go on and see if your registration is up to date.

Well yes but I’m sure if it had been updated they would have informed me by now and if it’s not updated I still want to know will I get paid while it’s pending etc. I read about this 4 month thing after business hours this evening and thought coming on here might be helpful in calming my worries tonight until I get talking to the tc in the morning. But thanks yeah, I’ll give them a buzz. I went online and searched under my name and old login details but nothing is there so I’m not registered yet.

Last year I was registering for an additional subject. Sent all the documentation in around February. Received some notification to say it would be processed in the next couple of weeks. Got busy with work and forgot about it. It was April by the time I had got around to calling them, as it still wasn't showing on my profile. So I got the sorry we forgot, I'll send X an email to get it done. Again end of school year was coming forgot to follow it up and between one thing and another it still wasn't done a few months later. Rang in August explained my story and the woman looked me up on their system. Presumably everything gets scanned when they receive it, and she apologised and updated my profile over the phone, and I had a letter out the next day.

Clearly two other people didn't do their job. Moral of the story, ring the TC. It might not have been processed yet, or it could be on file in a filing cabinet like all good Donegal Catch recipes, and nobody was arsed dealing with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Last year I was registering for an additional subject. Sent all the documentation in around February. Received some notification to say it would be processed in the next couple of weeks. Got busy with work and forgot about it. It was April by the time I had got around to calling them, as it still wasn't showing on my profile. So I got the sorry we forgot, I'll send X an email to get it done. Again end of school year was coming forgot to follow it up and between one thing and another it still wasn't done a few months later. Rang in August explained my story and the woman looked me up on their system. Presumably everything gets scanned when they receive it, and she apologised and updated my profile over the phone, and I had a letter out the next day.

Clearly two other people didn't do their job. Moral of the story, ring the TC. It might not have been processed yet, or it could be on file in a filing cabinet like all good Donegal Catch recipes, and nobody was arsed dealing with it.

I find it is best to physically go in and get it sorted. I did it with transcripts to get an added subject. I know it's not possible for all to be anywhere near Maynooth but it does save hassle because otherwise they won't give a toss.

If you are delayed getting work or being paid because of their incompetence and sloth-like approach to doing anything, I would rain holy hell on them with correspondence from as many TDs, councillors, journalists, unions and any other folk I could think of.

Lol I’m in Donegal.. we keep that Donegal Catch Recipe close to our chests .. and all good ideas are promptly put on file.. in a filing cabinet! :D:D

I’ll let you know how I get on when I call as soon as they open. Thanks for the advice. It’s beyond infuriating that this is even an issue or potential issue. Spurious I would do that in a heartbeat but unfortunately like all good subs, I must keep below the radar unnoticed and say nothing or il NEVER get hired permanently so I’ll probably have to end up saying nothing :( I’ll see though, it would be hood grounds to make that much of a noise so I possibly will if need be.

Got through to the teaching council and the lady wasn’t exactly clear on the information but from what I can gather I should be ok. She said my registration is in the final stages and she was able to give me my number which is my old number reactivated. I said will I be able to go ahead and teach on Monday and get paid and she said yeah if not you can always contact the department and work 5 days then take a break and if it’s still
    Not through then bla bla .. I don’t know what she was on about .. I tried to get her to clarify this but gave up. She didn’t seem to be able to explain it very well.

So I’m not exactly sure where I stand but apparently it’s not far away from being done. It’s in its final stages .. wow like it must be like rocket science to get teachers registered. All that complicated paper work.

Rodar08 wrote: »
    Got through to the teaching council and the lady wasn’t exactly clear on the information but from what I can gather I should be ok. She said my registration is in the final stages and she was able to give me my number which is my old number reactivated. I said will I be able to go ahead and teach on Monday and get paid and she said yeah if not you can always contact the department and work 5 days then take a break and if it’s still
    Not through then bla bla .. I don’t know what she was on about .. I tried to get her to clarify this but gave up. She didn’t seem to be able to explain it very well.

So I’m not exactly sure where I stand but apparently it’s not far away from being done. It’s in its final stages .. wow like it must be like rocket science to get teachers registered. All that complicated paper work.

Maybe give the payroll department a ring - they will be able to answer your question.

• Advertisement

Rodar08 wrote: »
    It’s in its final stages .. wow like it must be like rocket science to get teachers registered. All that complicated paper work.

Especially since you were already registered. Must be the effects of the fresh flowers and nice coffee in their offices.

Advertisement