Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weekend boxing February 24

• 24-02-2017 10:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭

JimGunn wrote: »
    One more play on the main event of the BoxNation card Friday afternoon. I don't know these guys from previous bouts but BoxRec capping shows Harris sure has a lot of KOs for a tiny flyweight!

Jay Harris (-147) vs Thomas Essomba ~$89.63 for ~$60.97
    Jay Harris wins inside distance (+299) $35.00 for $104.65

Really good fight this. Worth catching. Two good operators for lads with only 10 fights each.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Enjoyed that fight alright. Harris looked decent at times. Be a good fight with Paddy Barnes in the future potentially.

Sneaky decent weekend of boxing. Really looking forward to Hurd v Harrison tomorrow night.

pac_man wrote: »
    Yeah Harris did very well considering his lack of rounds. Who do you think between Bute and Alvarez?

Have money on Bute because I think he's very overpriced with the bookies. Been impressed with Bute post the Froch fight though. Very competitive against DeGale and Jack.

Think Alvarez is a bit of a lazy fighter from what I've seen and Bute loves to force the issue and set a strong pace. Interesting to see how it plays out. Not at all confident but siding slightly with Bute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭megadodge

pac_man wrote: »
    Roy Jones Jr son getting out hustled at the moment. Good scrap.

He's beginning to come back into it now. Good finish to the sixth

Great scrap.

Poxton's eye is bad though, I hope it isn't stopped for that.

Enjoyed that whole card tbf. Peaked there at the end with that fight though. Class performance from Poxton.

• Advertisement

Bute actually looked decent, had him winning till he got nailed with a big shot in the 5th. Possibly got a bit too comfortable in there. Maybe should look at retiring or at the very least dropping down a weight again if he's going to continue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Quite looking forward to Ugonoh/Breazeale tonight, mainly to see what Ugonoh actually is like. From what I have seen he looks scary as f*ck. I've backed him by KO too if he needed any further incentive to perform ;)

Ugonoh and Breazeale certainly started well. Good first round.

Ho ho ho, now that's some third round!!!

Holy sh*t, I'd say any fight this Ugonoh is inovolved in will be entertaining. He really overcommits to his attacks, which leaves him really vulnerable, but he lands some beauties as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Best round of heavyweight boxing I've ever seen. Wow.

• Advertisement

Ah this is great stuff!!

Just unreal action.

Holy **** Breazeale what a win. Terrific fight, ain't even mad I lost my bet. Insane

I regularly give out about how much undeserved publicity heavyweights get, but every now and then you get a wild heavyweight fight and to be honest there's nothing like it.

Can hand the 3rd round, round of the year already. Unbelievable stuff.

Breazeale has some heart to be fair to him.

Feel like Ugonoh probably got too trigger happy and fought the wrong fight but Breazeale showed incredible heart and bottle...something he probably lacked a little against Joshua. Obviously much bigger mountain back then. Breazeale will stay around the HW streets a little longer than I thought.

Inb4 Wilder picks Breazeale as his next opponent also :pac:

Insane fight!

Looking forward to this fight as well for the IBF title.

This is another really good fight here.

• Advertisement

This has been a brilliant card.

Bit disappointed by Hurd tbf despite the win.

Wilder looking terrible so far.

Fell asleep before the Wilder fight, just had a look at the finish on Twitter, Wilder windmilling for the clouds to finish it.

38-0 and he's fought one semi decent opponent, that's an achievement in itself. I'm not surprised he's now calling out Parker, who doesn't look great at all. I'd fancy Joshua to KO Wilder, I think he's a KO waiting to happen but you've also got to respect his power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,094 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Wilder's power has gotten him out of trouble in his last two fights, once he steps up to the next level he will likely get knocked out.
    Ugonoh would have knocked out most heavyweights with some of those shots last night. Breazeale showed against Joshua he can take massive shots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Wilder is awful most protected champion in years, I'd honestly give 5 or 6 HW's in the UK alone a great chance to beat him, Tyson Fury, AJ, Haye, Whyte, Hughie Fury even Chisora would all have a decent chance to beat him. He's very limited his punch accuracy was awful he was windmilling punches so badly i thought he might fall over. Wilder is all power which tbf is amazing but boxing ability wise he's miles off being an elite fighter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,729 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Wilder murders Whyte and Chisora...

Washington was a big tricky lad. Good use of range. Wilder still got the job done. Hard to look great against a tricky opponent.

As for Wilder being protected..could say that about other HW champions too.

Wilder just isn't very good.

I'd honestly give Breazeale a chance if they fought each other. Whyte too. Anyone who can take punishment has a proper chance against him. He's so so limited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

Is it a bit harsh on Wilder saying he is protected? Did he not try to fight highly ranked opposition and have two consecutive opponents fail drugs tests?

walshb wrote: »
    Wilder murders Whyte and Chisora...

Washington was a big tricky lad. Good use of range. Wilder still got the job done. Hard to look great against a tricky opponent.

Washington wasn't great, nor was the other lad he fought before this, yet they both gave him trouble. Wilder is a limited boxer, those wild swing and misses he had last night will be punished at the top level. Joshua, Fury, Haye, Ortiz beat him in my opinion.

• Advertisement

Washington wasn't great, nor was the other lad he fought before this, yet they both gave him trouble. Wilder is a limited boxer, those wild swing and misses he had last night will be punished at the top level. Joshua, Fury, Haye, Ortiz beat him in my opinion.

Nobody said Washington was great. Big, awkward and tricky...

AJ I would favour... Haye? He's been out of the ring far too long for me to make an educated assessment. I think his lack of height and reach would cost him. Wilder knocks Haye out would likely be the result. Fury loses. Badly.

Fury would win every minute against Wilder. 120-108 job.

If you think Washington was big, awkward and tricky...

Yeh. Until Wilder lands one single clean shot. Anyone thinking Wilder goes 36 mins without connecting clean on Fury?

Yeh. Until Wilder lands one single clean shot. Anyone thinking Wilder goes 36 mins without connecting clean on Fury?

Heavyweight boxing so there's always a chance but I'd say the chances of Wilder getting KO'ed by a counter are much stronger. He's reckless, Fury is too slick.

I'd have Fury as a massive favourite in that fight.

Morrison J wrote: »
    Heavyweight boxing so there's always a chance but I'd say the chances of Wilder getting KO'ed by a counter are much stronger. He's reckless, Fury is too slick.

I'd have Fury as a massive favourite in that fight.

Fury punches like a flyweight! Slappy and weak. Ok, maybe I'm over exaggerating, but you get my point.Anyway, Fury far too busy doing fook all to even consider a meeting.

Fury punches like a flyweight! Slappy and weak. Ok, maybe I'm over exaggerating, but you get my point.Anyway, Fury far too busy doing fook all to even consider a meeting.

Still haven't learned that power isn't everything!

This obsession with power is almost as bad as your obsession with James Toney!

• Advertisement

Power alone won't decide Fury/Wilder. Chin and power. Wilder's power will be too much for Fury's chin.

My reference to Fury's power was in response to the poster saying that Wilder likely gets knocked out by a Fury counter. My response was that Fury doesn't have the power to do that. I never mentioned Fury's power to begin with. I simply disagreed that he knocks Wilder out.

Btw, power aside, Wilder is more than capable of holding his own and boxing with Fury. Fury I reckon is the one getting a bit overrated here.

Btw, power aside, Wilder is more than capable of holding his own and boxing with Fury. Fury I reckon is the one getting a bit overrated here.

Fury is far more skillful fighter than Wilder. Wilder has a puncher's chance against him. If Fury had decent power he would stop Wilder. If fringe world level fighters can cause cause Wilder problems, whereby the fight is close going into the 5th or 6th round, i would fancy Fury to take him 12 rounds and win well on points. It would be similar to the second Chisora fight.

Fury is far more skillful fighter than Wilder. Wilder has a puncher's chance against him. If Fury had decent power he would stop Wilder. If fringe world level fighters can cause cause Wilder problems, whereby the fight is close going into the 5th or 6th round, i would fancy Fury to take him 12 rounds and win well on points. It would be similar to the second Chisora fight.

How can it be similar to the second Chisora fight? Wilder is nothing like the clearly shorter Chisora. No issue with Fury getting a points win IF he avoids getting knocked out, but this making him such a clear points favourite is odd.

Fury has actually beaten nobody apart from Wlad, which was a fight where no punches of any significance landed. Wlad brought eff all pressure. Wilder would bring a heap of offensive pressure.

Fury getting far too much credit here and Wilder far too little.

How can it be similar to the second Chisora fight? Wilder is nothing like the clearly shorter Chisora. No issue with Fury getting a points win IF he avoids getting knocked out, but this making him such a clear points favourite is odd.

Fury has actually beaten nobody apart from Wlad, which was a fight where no punches of any significance landed. Wlad brought eff all pressure. Wilder would bring a heap of offensive pressure.

Fury getting far too much credit here and Wilder far too little.

I mean in the way the fight would ultimately pan out, Wilder would be flummoxed by Fury's skill, strength and effective use of his reach, just as Chisora and Wlad were. I think you should watch again Wilder's last two fights, if you do you will see what i mean. He struggles to deal with his opponents who are clearly of inferior skill to Fury. Wilder swings and misses a lot, in short he is a limited boxer, albeit one with a big punch.
    It's his power that sees him through against lesser opponents. It wont be against elite fighters.
    If anything, it is you who are overrating Wilder, and are giving Fury little credit for beating a fighter that was undefeated for 10 years.
    Perhaps if Wlad beats Joshua, you might alter your view, or more likely it will be that Joshua was overrated all along.

Wlad is getting knocked out against AJ. Wlad against Fury was abysmal. End of. Fury was not much better. Wilder for me is being more underrated vs. Fury being more overrated. I am not overrating Wilder, I'm just arguing that having Fury so far ahead of him as regards boxing is off the mark.

• Advertisement

Wlad is getting knocked out against AJ. Wlad against Fury was abysmal. End of. Fury was not much better. Wilder for me is being more underrated vs. Fury being overrated. I am not overrating Wilder, I'm just arguing that having Fury so far ahead of him as regards boxing is off the mark.

It's not walshb. If they ever meet you will find that out:p Fury is the far better boxer. The fight against Wlad was not a spectacle, i will agree with you there, but Fury used his skill and reach to frustrate Wlad. Wlad was afraid to throw because, he was afraid of being countered. If Wlad was on top he would not have had that fear.
    Are you sure about Wlad getting knocked out? I know we should not read too much into sparring stories, but i note AJ didn't deny being sparked and rocked by two of his sparring partners, but his excuse for it happening was poor.

Can't be certain but my money is on a clear KO for AJ. Young, aggressive, big, heavy handed and I have a feeling his chin will be much better than Wlad's. Wlad won't get away with pawing and holding his way to victory. AJ will find his chin and knock him out.

Advertisement