Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlanta 14hr Layover: Anything of note to see

Options
  • 24-02-2017 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,249 ✭✭✭✭

I've a trip coming up during the Summer where I've a layover in Atlanta each way (8 hrs the first way, 14hrs the next)

Noticed the airport is very close to Downtown, 15 mins it tells me on Google Maps.

My question is, has anyone been to Atlanta before and is there anything of note to see in my short time frame?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

The headquarters of Coca Cola is in Atlanta and we'll worth a visit. And the Martin Luther King centre. Is supposed to be good but I didn't see that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

The MARTA train runs directly into the city centre from the airport. It will get you there in under 30 mins. Downtown Atlanta isn't majorly exciting for tourists I'm afraid. There is the world of Coca Cola, if you are into that kind off thing. The Georgia Aquarium is worth seeing. Go for a wander around the lobby of the Marriott Marquis hotel. It has a very famous (architecturally speaking) hanging atrium. Legend has it, George Lucas used it for inspiration for one of his Star Wars interiors. (Can't remember which one - the Senate meeting chamber, I think.) Go for a cocktail in the roof top bar of the 70 story Westin Hotel. It has a revolving rooftop bar, that gives you great 360 degree views over the entire city. Go for a wander around CNN Centre and do the studio tour. MLK Tomb. Don't think its really walkable from downtown though. I used to live in Atlanta, but it's been over 5 years, so am not all that up to speed on any new attractions that have opened up recently. When my brother came for a visit, his two favs were the two hotels. They don't really appear in tourist listings, other than as places to stay, but he thought they were trippy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,249 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

The headquarters of Coca Cola is in Atlanta and we'll worth a visit. And the Martin Luther King centre. Is supposed to be good but I didn't see that.
    ProudDUB wrote: »
    The MARTA train runs directly into the city centre from the airport. It will get you there in under 30 mins. Downtown Atlanta isn't majorly exciting for tourists I'm afraid. There is the world of Coca Cola, if you are into that kind off thing. The Georgia Aquarium is worth seeing. Go for a wander around the lobby of the Marriott Marquis hotel. It has a very famous (architecturally speaking) hanging atrium. Legend has it, George Lucas used it for inspiration for one of his Star Wars interiors. (Can't remember which one - the Senate meeting chamber, I think.) Go for a cocktail in the roof top bar of the 70 story Westin Hotel. It has a revolving rooftop bar, that gives you great 360 degree views over the entire city. Go for a wander around CNN Centre and do the studio tour. MLK Tomb. Don't think its really walkable from downtown though. I used to live in Atlanta, but it's been over 5 years, so am not all that up to speed on any new attractions that have opened up recently. When my brother came for a visit, his two favs were the two hotels. They don't really appear in tourist listings, other than as places to stay, but he thought they were trippy.

Thanks to you both!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I've a trip coming up during the Summer where I've a layover in Atlanta each way (8 hrs the first way, 14hrs the next)

I spent a few days in atlanta a few years ago. The impression i got was most life happens in the suburbs.

Check and see whether its possible to get a day pass to your airlines "first class lounge" or members lounge or whatever. You can usually get a quiet place to sit and maybe take a nap, clean up, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Munstermissy

You could get the train (Marta) down to 5 points station and have a wander around there. Haven't been down there in a while though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

InTheTrees wrote: »

I spent a few days in atlanta a few years ago. The impression i got was most life happens in the suburbs.

^ Not true at all.

ProudDUB had some good advice. Although in 5 years, a lot has changed.

Go see the Center for Human and Civil Rights - it's beside the Aquarium. 

Rent a bike and take the Freedom Trail to the Beltline and visit Ponce City Market. That trip alone is one of the most 'Atlanta' things you can do, and well worth it because there's a lot to see.

The don'ts: Underground, Coca Cola. Tourist traps with few (zero?) redeeming qualities. The other don't: don't mention the Superbowl.

Keep in mind, you can pick up an Uber from anywhere. Given your limited time, that may be a good option. 

Any other questions, ask away. I live in Atlanta.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,249 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

dave2pvd wrote: »
    ^ Not true at all.

ProudDUB had some good advice. Although in 5 years, a lot has changed.

Go see the Center for Human and Civil Rights - it's beside the Aquarium. 

Rent a bike and take the Freedom Trail to the Beltline and visit Ponce City Market. That trip alone is one of the most 'Atlanta' things you can do, and well worth it because there's a lot to see.

The don'ts: Underground, Coca Cola. Tourist traps with few (zero?) redeeming qualities. The other don't: don't mention the Superbowl.

Keep in mind, you can pick up an Uber from anywhere. Given your limited time, that may be a good option. 

Any other questions, ask away. I live in Atlanta.

Dave2pvd, thanks a million for the comments and to everyone, much appreciated.

Was set in stone about the Coca Cola tour, may I ask why? Just a tourist trap I imagine?

The Martin Luther King site worth visiting as well as the Center for Human and Civil Rights.

The beltline looks really cool, as does ponce city

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

The Coca Cola tour is basically an attraction. It's not their headquarters and it's not a factory in any way. So yeah, my opinion is that its a tourist trap.
    The more I think about it, the more I'd recommend Beltline/Ponce. I can help you figure that part out if you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭MackQ

I visited Stone Mountain Park, a popular attraction, during some downtime on a business trip to Atlanta a few years ago. I would recommend it but it's about 10 miles away from the airport so would cost a bit more than staying in the city.
    http://www.stonemountainpark.com/

Advertisement