Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford FC Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Cuttlefish wrote: »

Talks on the Facebook page of fans/ supporters stumping up money monthly/ yearly - would never been enough and there wouldn't be enough fans to sign up

The discussion on FB quickly turned to how much of a budget would be needed to challenge for titles. To me, if you want a supporters-run club, with, as you mentioned, players in on scholarships from WIT etc., then you have to be prepared for stints in the first division too. If you want instant success, then a wealthy owner is your answer, but they call the shots.

The answer, I would imagine is somewhere in the middle. It wouldn't be too much of a stretch to get, say 100 people to sign up for membership at €10 per week. €50k p/a for a place on the board, so the supporters trust have a voice at the table. Work slowly towards a 50+1 target? (I'm pulling figures out of the air here)

As for local managers, I don't think that's a necessity (but it would be nice to have the best local coaches involved), but I think it's obvious that the ex-pro who spent their whole career in the UK and don't know the league might not be the best fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

hardybuck wrote: »
    I would be very reluctant to have my business associated with such a toxic brand.

Yea that aswell like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Junior

noby wrote: »
    The discussion on FB quickly turned to how much of a budget would be needed to challenge for titles. To me, if you want a supporters-run club, with, as you mentioned, players in on scholarships from WIT etc., then you have to be prepared for stints in the first division too. If you want instant success, then a wealthy owner is your answer, but they call the shots.

The answer, I would imagine is somewhere in the middle. It wouldn't be too much of a stretch to get, say 100 people to sign up for membership at €10 per week. €50k p/a for a place on the board, so the supporters trust have a voice at the table. Work slowly towards a 50+1 target? (I'm pulling figures out of the air here)

As for local managers, I don't think that's a necessity (but it would be nice to have the best local coaches involved), but I think it's obvious that the ex-pro who spent their whole career in the UK and don't know the league might not be the best fit.

Didn't they do that before with a shares offer, and that ended up dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Motivator

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Does Henry De Bromhead like soccer ?

There’s a pile of multi-millionaires in Waterford city and county. I’m not talking about lads with a couple of million in the bank, I’m talking about a net worth of €10m+. I have 9 names in my head at the moment and that’s only the people that I know of around the City.

I know three of them personally who have an interest in soccer and in Waterford soccer but no way are they going to throw good money after bad and get nothing back for it. The likes of JP McManus are very very rare in this country and there has to be a real love behind it. I don’t blame people for not having the appetite for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Motivator wrote: »
    There’s a pile of multi-millionaires in Waterford city and county. I’m not talking about lads with a couple of million in the bank, I’m talking about a net worth of €10m+. I have 9 names in my head at the moment and that’s only the people that I know of around the City.

I know three of them personally who have an interest in soccer and in Waterford soccer but no way are they going to throw good money after bad and get nothing back for it. The likes of JP McManus are very very rare in this country and there has to be a real love behind it. I don’t blame people for not having the appetite for it.

And even JP McManus won't throw his money away. Things like the LOI would infuriate him - he'd have very vigorous controls in place to ensure money wasn't wasted. He put his money into underage development in Limerick GAA while his brother in law put €7m into Limerick FC and lost it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

noby wrote: »

At the moment I suspect the club is saddled with serious debt. If that's the case they'd be lucky to get someone to come in and clear that for them, so either way I think the people of Waterford will need to get their hands in their pockets if this show is going to stay on the road.

I'd be aiming for much more income arising from membership. Lads are spending €250 a year as it is for the season ticket, they should be willing to spend €500 if a few extras were thrown in like a jersey, club lotto and a few bits and pieces thrown to make it worthwhile. Lads are happy enough to lash out that to get in the door of a golf club, before they've spent a penny on equipment.

Waterford have an average attendance in recent years in the Premier of around 1,500-1,600 (which is much lower than their rivals). Therefore I'd be aiming to get a minimum of 500 members signed up at €500 = €250k a year before a ball is kicked. If you can get more members signed up and higher attendances going you get a snowball effect and more commercial revenue. At the moment I don't think the club is in any way inclusive, they haven't got the community behind them, and that's something which needs to change pretty quickly.

I think it'd cost around €200k a year before you've kicked a ball and at least €500k to get a decent team together. That doesn't include the costs of underage development.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

The BSC have still remained silent today after the shambles over the weekend. Is there anyone contributing to this thread still a member?
    Anyone see late last night the official WFC twitter and Facebook page put up a picture of Brian Murphy. The guy who is running the website and social media side of things needs to be ****ed out on his ear along with Lee Power, Sheedy and Newell.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Gardner wrote: »
    The BSC have still remained silent today after the shambles over the weekend. Is there anyone contributing to this thread still a member?
    Anyone see late last night the official WFC twitter and Facebook page put up a picture of Brian Murphy. The guy who is running the website and social media side of things needs to be ****ed out on his ear along with Lee Power, Sheedy and Newell.

Got a text from the BSC a few mins ago for the March/April player of the month award

Thankfully id needed a laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

deisedude wrote: »
    Genuine question. Do you think Power will still own the club in 3-5 years and where do you think the club will be?

Those hammerings aren't too far away the way the club is being run

Hard to see Power owning the club in 3-5 months not to mind years!

blacksuir wrote: »
    How many can be named and used.

Apparently 9 can be named and up to five can be used but only in three gos. And I think there is also a separate concussion sub allowed to.

Where are players like Eric Molloy or Isaac TShipamba?? Is Matt Connor gone or injured, D Murphy??

Why can't some players gain sports scholarships with WIT/ Carlow IT etc etc and line out for The Blues as part of the scholarship program ??

All the players mentioned above are currently injured.

The club does/did have a scholarship scheme with WIT. Not sure where it is at now, but there is a link with them - jersey sponsor too?
    I know my remarks can be bit flippant as it ain’t that straight forward to establish and maintain a scholarship program and yes present owners might not even be there in three months let alone three years but it is something that could have been established and the program could encompass a number of teams say Waterford and Wexford

The ownership should be of people or businesses with Waterford / South east - great Lee Power can to Waterford but we now realise he doesn’t have Waterford Fc at his heart for him it is merely a business plan that hasn’t worked out

Need local managers too - someone who cares bout Waterford FC - Sheridan didn’t

Unless someone is wealthy enough to fund the club without worrying about losing the money, we are at nothing.

As someone once said - the only way to make a small fortune in football is to start with a large one!

• Advertisement

One of the big issues for the club in hiring a manager is that they must hold the UEFA Pro licence - this costs a fortune (around €10k I think)

We are always hearing of names being thrown around as perfect for the role but they can't be hired because of this rule - I think the FAI accepted the UEFA ruling that the top tier league in a country can only have a Pro Licence holder as manager. You saw what happened at Dundalk with the "ghost managing". For a country our size, that Pro Licence requirement makes the pool of candidates extremely small.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

scout353 wrote: »
    One of the big issues for the club in hiring a manager is that they must hold the UEFA Pro licence - this costs a fortune (around €10k I think)

We are always hearing of names being thrown around as perfect for the role but they can't be hired because of this rule - I think the FAI accepted the UEFA ruling that the top tier league in a country can only have a Pro Licence holder as manager. You saw what happened at Dundalk with the "ghost managing". For a country our size, that Pro Licence requirement makes the pool of candidates extremely small.

There are over 80 coaches who completed the Pro Licence through the FAI and another ~20 currently on the course. Hardly a shortage.

There are over 80 coaches who completed the Pro Licence through the FAI and another ~20 currently on the course. Hardly a shortage.

Wow, I didn't realise it was that many!

Of course, the other relevant point is that a piece of paper doesn't necessarily mean that the person is a good coach!

And we're back to the current management team!!!!:D

Rennie could make a return but tbh both sides need to move on

Atm he would bring nothing new

Club Statement
    'Waterford FC, Kevin Sheedy & Mike Newell have parted company by mutual consent.
    We wish to thank both Kevin and Mike for their service to the Club during these difficult times and wish them both the very best for the future.
    Taking charge of Saturday's game against Drogheda United will be Mike Geoghegan, head of academy'.

Where do we from here, will Rennie come back to save the club ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Club Statement
    'Waterford FC, Kevin Sheedy & Mike Newell have parted company by mutual consent.
    We wish to thank both Kevin and Mike for their service to the Club during these difficult times and wish them both the very best for the future.
    Taking charge of Saturday's game against Drogheda United will be Mike Geoghegan, head of academy'.

It's a soap opera, we might as well appoint Roy of the rovers, most of the clowns running it are already in fantasy land

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

is it for real this time ?

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Cuttlefish

Writing on the proverbial wall

Get our keeper back and bring confidence to the squad

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

Fran Rockett needs to be brought back into the fold in some capacity. Too good a guy and coach to be left free.

Taken from Matt Keanes facebook

'All going well and negotiations go according to plan Blues fans will love our new manager'

• Advertisement

'All going well and negotiations go according to plan Blues fans will love our new manager'

sounds like Rennie... but I wouldn't have thought that Rennie would work under power again

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Cuttlefish

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    sounds like Rennie... but I wouldn't have thought that Rennie would work under power again

Doubt it Rennie

Maybe Sir Alex

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

I'd agree I couldn't see Rennie going back as much as I would love it.

Club Statement

Well now!

So we are back to the question now of who takes over?

Which leaves a few big questions....

Does a change of management help the team?

Does a change of management solve the other woes in the club?

Is the current squad good enough to get us off the bottom? - I'd take 8th at the end of the season!

Does Paul Martin deserve to be dropped after his performances recently?

Is there a manager out there (apart from Rennie) who has the stature and experience to be a positive influence on the current squad?

A new guy coming in without much experience of LOI and of dealing with this situation - particularly coming from UK - would be a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Does a change of management help the team?

Can only help, I reckon.
    Does a change of management solve the other woes in the club?
    No

Does Paul Martin deserve to be dropped after his performances recently?

No, but could see a new manager bring Murphy straight back in, as a statement of intent.

A new guy coming in without much experience of LOI and of dealing with this situation - particularly coming from UK - would be a disaster.

Agreed. It needs to be someone with LoI pedigree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

que Matts next post. "X is the greatest ever manager to come to the blues and is a personal friend of mine and all is good at WFC... you cannot beat livvvvvvvvvvveeee football"

a puppet for the club.

Great interview here from Mike Geoghegan who takes charge of the team for Saturday's game.

Also mentioned cost of underage teams is €100k per year so I wasn't far off with my thoughts on over €700k to run the club.

Also Brian Murphy back in goal on Saturday evening!

https://t.co/l5m5N7O2Ju?amp=1

I heard a rumour Brian Murphy is being lined up to be player manager. No basis or source, just a rumour I heard locally, and one thing we do well is rumours !!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I heard a rumour Brian Murphy is being lined up to be player manager. No basis or source, just a rumour I heard locally, and one thing we do well is rumours !!

He doesn't have a Pro Licence so that's probably BS.

I say probably because there's no guarantee that anyone at the club knows the rules.

• Advertisement

He doesn't have a Pro Licence so that's probably BS.

I say probably because there's no guarantee that anyone at the club knows the rules.

yeah you're right, I didn't think of that. then again, as you say, maybe people at the club might not thunk of it either !!

Advertisement