Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford FC Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭blacksuir

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    sounds like Rennie... but I wouldn't have thought that Rennie would work under power again

Might be an Ipswich town legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Oh ffs, this is taking the biscuit

Club Statement

'Waterford FC wishes to advise that two of our senior players have been deemed to be close contacts of a confirmed Covid-19 case.

As a result, we have carried out a wide testing program of our first team. Thankfully, these tests have returned negative test results however, in keeping with our ethos of public safety and that of our club and visitors, we have made the decision to stand down our senior team for tomorrow night's visit of Drogheda FC.

Our talented under 19 squad will take to the field in the RSC to fulfill this fixture under the guidance of manager Mike Geoghegan.

#WaterfordFC #Blues

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Benimar

PTH2009 wrote: »

Club Statement

'Waterford FC wishes to advise that two of our senior players have been deemed to be close contacts of a confirmed Covid-19 case.

As a result, we have carried out a wide testing program of our first team. Thankfully, these tests have returned negative test results however, in keeping with our ethos of public safety and that of our club and visitors, we have made the decision to stand down our senior team for tomorrow night's visit of Drogheda FC.

Our talented under 19 squad will take to the field in the RSC to fulfill this fixture under the guidance of manager Mike Geoghegan.

#WaterfordFC #Blues

You don’t have to ‘stand down’ a close contact of a close contact. Far more to this than just 2 lads being a close contact surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Cuttlefish

PTH2009 wrote: »

Club Statement

#WaterfordFC #Blues

So even though the team tested negative Waterford FC decided not to play them and instead of forfeiting the game put out u19!

Looks like the club WANTS to be relegated

Surely after a negative test the team could have played????

0-1 down after 16 minutes

No offence to u-19 players but this club has become a total farce

We had Covid-19 issues last year and now again this year. Cant see this team turning any aspect of this season around

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

0-5 and it aint even Half time yet

Aquos76 wrote: »
    0-5 and it aint even Half time yet

Back to the first division we go and 100 in the RSC of a friday night

0-7 home defeat

Seems the COVID-19 story is more than reported last night

This club is lurching from one calamity to another

A dark day for the club, a 7-0 loss is a joke, have to feel sorry for the Under 19s for having to play tonight. Farce after Farce, were a shambles of a club atm

Jesus christ what would Shamrock Rovers had of done to us if we played them today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

The club is cursed. Was the RSC built on top of an ancient burial ground by any chance? It seems not a week can pass without a some controversy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

Deffo more to that story!

Gonna be a slaughter in Sligo if the first team members are prevented from playing again this coming weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

any word on a manager?

I thought it was bad form of the Drogs to hammer Waterford that badly in the circumstances tbh, bad times all round

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

I thought it was bad form of the Drogs to hammer Waterford that badly in the circumstances tbh, bad times all round

Don't agree with that myself. They took advantage of the situation which Waterford would have done if the shoe was on the other foot. It's the FAI protocols that are to blame

The old saying is true
    'you can only beat what's in front of you'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Perfect opportunity to get the goal difference looking healthy. I don't blame them one bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

It's looking like the u19 team will be playing against Sligo this weekend, could be a very difficult evening ahead.

What's the story if we were to not play the fixture, would we be docked points or just award the game 3-0 to Sligo? it's a bad situation and I don't like the idea of not fulfilling a fixture but expecting us to field our u19 team for premier division games is crazy.

to put it in perspective, the regular centre backs for the u19s are both 17 and are not allowed to play as they're considered too young !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

It's looking like the u19 team will be playing against Sligo this weekend, could be a very difficult evening ahead.

What's the story if we were to not play the fixture, would we be docked points or just award the game 3-0 to Sligo? it's a bad situation and I don't like the idea of not fulfilling a fixture but expecting us to field our u19 team for premier division games is crazy.

to put it in perspective, the regular centre backs for the u19s are both 17 and are not allowed to play as they're considered too young !

Have you seen something which refers?

This is an utter joke. What good does it do to anyone to send an U19 team out to fulfill a fixture that could be rescheduled?

Close contacts have to restrict movements for at least ten days (i.e. if they've tested negative after ten days). However people who live with close contacts don't have to restrict movements if they don't have any symptoms, so I'm wondering what the hell Waterford FC are at here.

Also, what's the craic with the center backs not being allowed play at 17? Harvey Elliott made his debut for Fulham at 15...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

They declared at half time, could have been 12 or 13 nil

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

hardybuck wrote: »

Close contacts have to restrict movements for at least ten days (i.e. if they've tested negative after ten days). However people who live with close contacts don't have to restrict movements if they don't have any symptoms, so I'm wondering what the hell Waterford FC are at here.

There was a positive cases in the squad, so they're all deemed close contact. I guess what the hell the club are at is following HSE and FAI guidelines.

I think, giving the circumstances, the club should forfeit the sligo match, and accept the 3-0 result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭south

noby wrote: »
    There was a positive cases in the squad, so they're all deemed close contact. I guess what the hell the club are at is following HSE and FAI guidelines.

I think, giving the circumstances, the club should forfeit the sligo match, and accept the 3-0 result.

It's the HSE guidelines that have stopped the squad playing, the under 19 team were kept away from the the first team should cases like this arise. They'll play the next game also.

Have you seen something which refers?

This is an utter joke. What good does it do to anyone to send an U19 team out to fulfill a fixture that could be rescheduled?

Also, what's the craic with the center backs not being allowed play at 17? Harvey Elliott made his debut for Fulham at 15...

Nigel Kelly said in wlr yesterday that the u19 team will play as the 10 day quarantine period wont have elapsed by Saturday.

as regards the 17 year olds not being allowed to play, it's a new one on me, I thought players that age and younger could play, but Mike geoghegan said in his post match comments that they were missing the 2 centre backs as both were under 18 and not eligible to play, so we had an u19 player who had never played centre back before.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

noby wrote: »

Thank you - I hadn't seen that they'd had a positive case. The most recent article on the news section of the club website was the match preview for the Dundalk game on April 30th.

Would agree with the forfeit in the circumstances.

Thank you - I hadn't seen that they'd had a positive case. The most recent article on the news section of the club website was the match preview for the Dundalk game on April 30th.

I would agree about the forfeit, provided we wouldn't be deducted points as well as the game being awarded 3-0 to Sligo. I haven't seen confirmation either way on this yet.

the game should be rescheduled to another date but I don't think that is allowed after last season.

as regards the 17 year olds not being allowed to play, it's a new one on me, I thought players that age and younger could play, but Mike geoghegan said in his post match comments that they were missing the 2 centre backs as both were under 18 and not eligible to play, so we had an u19 player who had never played centre back before.

AFAIK, it has to do with the level 5 restrictions where no sport was allowed for Under 18's and FAI never considered that Under 18's might be part of a premier division squad. LOI Premier & FD football was considered elite whereas the under age leagues were not, hence no under 18's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭south

If you forfeit a game you get a 3 nil result against you and your also fined

Club aren't very forthcoming with info, but Brian Murphy confirmed it on Twitter

south wrote: »
    If you forfeit a game you get a 3 nil result against you and your also fined

If the fine is less than the cost of travelling to Sligo with two 52 seater coaches (covid regs), overnight accommodation and food, it would be worth it!

However, the integrity of the league is already compromised as Drogheda have accumulated a +7 goal difference after playing them while Sligo only get a +3!

Such a stupid rule that was only brought in because of the issues in the latter stages of the league last year. There was plenty of time to reschedule the game.

I also think that the intention was probably never to have the entire u19 team play in the event of Covid issues but rather the squad could be supplemented by U19's in such a case in order to have 14 players available to fulfil a fixture.

Overall it's a real sh*^tshow now for the FAI whatever about Waterford.

There is also no mention anywhere of sanctions against the players for this breach of protocol.

What breach of protocol? Genuine question, as I don't know the circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

scout353 wrote: »
    AFAIK, it has to do with the level 5 restrictions where no sport was allowed for Under 18's and FAI never considered that Under 18's might be part of a premier division squad. LOI Premier & FD football was considered elite whereas the under age leagues were not, hence no under 18's.
    its not seeing as we(rovers) have played a 17 year old johnny kenny.

Advertisement