Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford FC Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I think there's a lot of players missing between injuries and COVID, so a really tough weekend for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

a goal down after 2 minutes ... another set piece that we can't defend against

• Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    a goal down after 2 minutes ... another set piece that we can't defend against

The **** was Brian Murphy doing going out that far

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭skaface

Need to start getting a result.. Starting against Harps tomorrow, if we are to try and salvage something from this season...
    However we do it.

Need to start scoring goals. Haven't scored in 8 consecutive games, and only 4 in the season so far.

Hard to see this particular group of players staying up without an injection of quality over the summer.

• Advertisement

Jesus Christ we score an early goal but give away a 76th min penalty which they score making it 1-1 and amazgixly in the same min Harps score again to go 1-2

Very frustrating again, early goal and led for most of the game but 2 goals in 2 minutes and we lose again. In reality can't have too many complaints though, we were good in first half but harps took over in second half and only for some brilliant saves from Brian Murphy we would have conceded long before the first goal. the fitness was a concern, we ran out of steam big time in second half.

doesn't get any easier, away to bohs next who beat dundalk 5-1 tonight.

Very frustrating again, early goal and led for most of the game but 2 goals in 2 minutes and we lose again. In reality can't have too many complaints though, we were good in first half but harps took over in second half and only for some brilliant saves from Brian Murphy we would have conceded long before the first goal. the fitness was a concern, we ran out of steam big time in second half.

doesn't get any easier, away to bohs next who beat dundalk 5-1 tonight.

Think our good record in Dalymount Park is about to come to an end

On a positive note, they scored!

Will be interesting to see what happens to the likes of Mascoll who is on loan until the end of June. He's out of contract with Bolton and going to be released, so I suppose there'll be an option to give him a deal until the end of the season.

3-0 down

There goes our brilliant Dalymount Park record

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

All over 3-0 defeat and a red card

All over 3-0 defeat and a red card

Gap of 10/11 points between ourselves/Longford from 8th place, looking like it will be shootout between the 2 for 9th and 10th place

mid season break now with our next 3 games been

11th June- Dundalk (A)
    18th June- Shamrock Rovers (H)
    22nd June- Longford (A)

I haven't seen enough of Waterford to give a proper assessment, but I wonder where they're most lacking in quality?

On the face of it they have a huge problem with a lack of goals, but I wonder if it's really a lack of quality in midfield. Bobs seemed to boss the game today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Damien Tiernan posted a mugshot of the Waterford FC manager. Stay classy DT

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2021/0529/1224719-bircham-waterford-situation-most-surreal-ive-seen/

Has some interesting things to say and I've no doubt he's bang on about young players heads going down quickly but why talk about it in the media? Especially when you're only in the job 5 minutes yourself. I'm sure some of those young lads are reading that going WTF. He shouldn't have anything to say to national or local media until he has stopped the ship capsizing. Walk the walk then talk the talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Jerry Atrick

hardybuck wrote: »
    I haven't seen enough of Waterford to give a proper assessment, but I wonder where they're most lacking in quality?

On the face of it they have a huge problem with a lack of goals, but I wonder if it's really a lack of quality in midfield. Bobs seemed to boss the game today.

That's a good summary of it...decent back 4 and keeper. Need someone in midfield to hold on to it/boss it and a striker or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭skaface

Nice Away Jersey

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Delighted to see the Blues NOT sponsored by another parasitic betting website. Congrats WIT Arena, must be raking in the cash from doling out vax! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

When listening to Marc on DT he was eager to stress he is happy to come on the show anytime and talk about things. Hes actually a good person to listen to hes not short of words. I think they could be onto something if they invited him onto DT once a fortnight to go through how everything is going at the club and results. I think fans like that it rings well with them.

Delighted to see the Blues NOT sponsored by another parasitic betting website. Congrats WIT Arena, must be raking in the cash from doling out vax! :pac:

I'd be interested to see if that's a private company making a commercial decision from within its own resources, or whether this is effectively public funding coming via the college.

I'm also happy that the club don't have a betting company sponsoring the team, surely it'll be banned in a few years.

Once again it's really strange to see the club release a new jersey half-way through a season.

• Advertisement

Looks like Lee Power has sold the blues... an English based company the new owners according to wlr

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Looks like Lee Power has sold the blues... an English based company the new owners according to wlr

https://waterfordfc.ie/club-statement-4/

Wow.

Had another swipe at Uefa in his parting comments.

Does anyone know anything about this guy Forrest, apart from the fact that he's a UK based 'entrepreneur'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

he look's after kids for a living :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

hardybuck wrote: »
    Wow.

Had another swipe at Uefa in his parting comments.

Does anyone know anything about this guy Forrest, apart from the fact that he's a UK based 'entrepreneur'.

Couldn't blame him for taking swipe, although, probably certain ex FAI staff would possibly more to blame. He put a fair bit of money in and probably lost a good bit so as mad/ bad as things went, he tried.
    I was listening to roddy Doyle talking about Chelsea recently, it's never dull with them, we know how he feels, I'm sure we'd all like a bit more stability there though, settled team, mgt, less BS from all involved including supporters, etc.
    The football is a great outlet for many of us to get away from usual life stuff so hopefully the club, our hometown club lets remember can strengthen, solid on pitch, plus maintain and improve youth system.

Max Powers wrote: »
    Couldn't blame him for taking swipe, although, probably certain ex FAI staff would possibly more to blame. He put a fair bit of money in and probably lost a good bit so as mad/ bad as things went, he tried.
    I was listening to roddy Doyle talking about Chelsea recently, it's never dull with them, we know how he feels, I'm sure we'd all like a bit more stability there though, settled team, mgt, less BS from all involved including supporters, etc.
    The football is a great outlet for many of us to get away from usual life stuff so hopefully the club, our hometown club lets remember can strengthen, solid on pitch, plus maintain and improve youth system.

I think the correct decision was taken - the rules were applied. It's just a shame that the club couldn't build upon the momentum that was building at the time - it was like the air got let out of the balloon, and I can understand how he'd be bitter about that.

I think the club has a chance of surviving a relegation playoff, however 1-2 seasons in the first division could offer an opportunity to bring through more youth players into the first team - and personally I'd like to see Bircham get some time to build a team here.

Let's hope this is start of a successful era for the club

Job for the rest of the season is obviously to avoid relegation. Be nice to avoid a playoff too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Motivator

The club is a joke, very few actually give a toss anymore. I remember being at games where the running track was thronged and the stand was hopping. It seems an age ago now but probably only around 15 or 16 years ago. It’s sad to see the club the way it is now with young lands being brought in for a season then they head away again. As a matter of interest, who’s the longest serving player currently at the club?

Truth be told, if the club folded overnight there wouldn’t be many that would be put out by it. Sad and all as it is to say it’s the truth. Aside from the diehards who used to flock to Kilcohan and those clowns with the flags and the Ellesse gear, I can’t see many going back when things get back to normal. The local connection with the club is gone and I can’t see it returning any time soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Deiselurker

There were crowds of over 3500 for some games only 3 years ago against the likes of Cork City and Shamrock Rovers and you had to be in the stand well before kick off to get a seat. Unfortunately the crowds dropped off a bit after that and not being allowed play in Europe was a big blow.
    I agree about the constant turnover of players. It doesn't build a connection with fans when players are coming for a season or a few months and moving on.I think longest serving player is John Martin who is there 4 or 5 years and Matt Connor also there a few years in 2 different spells.
    The fan base is there for a successful, well run club but it hasn't been well run the last couple of years. Waterford sports fans can be fickle enough too and a lot will only come to games when we are up near top of the league.

Advertisement