Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford FC Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Waterford sport fans are fickle. Even the prescious hurlers support dropped of a few years ago when they had one of their rubbish years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

The fan base is there for a successful, well run club but it hasn't been well run the last couple of years. Waterford sports fans can be fickle enough too and a lot will only come to games when we are up near top of the league.

There's a contradiction there. The fanbase is the number of fans who'll support the club through thick and thin. In Waterford it's practically non existent.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Waterford sport fans are fickle. Even the prescious hurlers support dropped of a few years ago when they had one of their rubbish years.

That's not unique to Waterford.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Cuttlefish

[HTML][/HTML]

You have to ask the very hard questions here!!

New owner has to be asked WHY did you get involved with WFC?? Surely there are clubs closer to home in the UK that would benefit from his support and he could enjoy supporting/ owning.

WFC has no tangible assets so what is in it for him??

Forgive me if I sound negative but these are questions that should be posed directly to the new owners

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Cuttlefish wrote: »
    [HTML][/HTML]

New owner has to be asked WHY did you get involved with WFC?? Surely there are clubs closer to home in the UK that would benefit from his support and he could enjoy supporting/ owning.

Forgive me if I sound negative but these are questions that should be posed directly to the new owners

Can he get a return on his investment? He obviously feels like he can.

I believe there's money to be made in developing academy players for onward sale to the UK. Young players can't go over at 16/17 anymore so someone has to capitalise on that situation. Shamrock Rovers got very good money from Bazunu, I think there's more of that to come if the right structures are put in place.

The second opportunity to get a return is via European qualification. That's still possible with a modest enough investment.

• Advertisement

Cuttlefish wrote: »
    [HTML][/HTML]

A very basic knowledge of football and of the cost of ownership of a club in the UK with the potential to play in Europe would answer that question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Motivator

hardybuck wrote: »
    Can he get a return on his investment? He obviously feels like he can.

I believe there's money to be made in developing academy players for onward sale to the UK. Young players can't go over at 16/17 anymore so someone has to capitalise on that situation. Shamrock Rovers got very good money from Bazunu, I think there's more of that to come if the right structures are put in place.

The second opportunity to get a return is via European qualification. That's still possible with a modest enough investment.

Bazunu is a one off in today’s game. The last player to leave league of Ireland and have a successful career in the premier league was Seamus Coleman and that’s back in 2008 or 2009. The chances of Waterford FC, with all the rubbish going on there, unearthing a player that can be sold on for “big money” are non existent. If Waterford have a player that is potentially talented, he will he off to Shamrock Rovers or one of the other clubs that have any bit of profile. Its never going to happen that the next John O Shea or Seamus Coleman are plying their trade at Waterford FC.

Motivator wrote: »
    Bazunu is a one off in today’s game. The last player to leave league of Ireland and have a successful career in the premier league was Seamus Coleman and that’s back in 2008 or 2009. The chances of Waterford FC, with all the rubbish going on there, unearthing a player that can be sold on for “big money” are non existent. If Waterford have a player that is potentially talented, he will he off to Shamrock Rovers or one of the other clubs that have any bit of profile. Its never going to happen that the next John O Shea or Seamus Coleman are plying their trade at Waterford FC.

You're talking about one of the biggest bargain signings in Everton's history, and possibly Premier League history. Clearly he's a rarity.

However Bohs just got €1.5m from Matt Doherty's transfer to Spurs last year - they only had him for a couple of pre-season games and they sold him for €80k.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Jesus what a result 3-1 win away from home

• Registered Users Posts: 33,616 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Jesus what a result 3-1 win away from home

It was only against Dundalk though.;)

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    It was only against Dundalk though.;)

We're up to 9th though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭skaface

First win up in that kip Orial in 18 years..
    Hopefully a turning point in our season
    #BLUES

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

https://www.buzz.ie/sport/soccer/new-waterford-owner-richard-forrest-24314873
    I love the enthusiasm coming off this guy and Bircham too.
    Happy days are here again! :)

https://www.buzz.ie/sport/soccer/new-waterford-owner-richard-forrest-24314873
    I love the enthusiasm coming off this guy and Bircham too.
    Happy days are here again! :)

An enthusiastic football fan with time on his hands and prepared to spend a few quid. Ticks all the boxes!

An enthusiastic football fan with time on his hands and prepared to spend a few quid. Ticks all the boxes!

As a guy who owns a handful of creches, I hope he's wealthy enough to afford losing a few bob over the next couple of years and not get too bitter and frustrated about it.

Nice to see Eddie Nolan come home after many years grinding out a living up and down the UK.

As a guy who owns a handful of creches, I hope he's wealthy enough to afford losing a few bob over the next couple of years and not get too bitter and frustrated about it.

Nice to see Eddie Nolan come home after many years grinding out a living up and down the UK.

In fairness, nearly everyone who's ever been involved in owning a football club lost money and got frustrated. He should be aware of that having dealt with Power.

In fairness, nearly everyone who's ever been involved in owning a football club lost money and got frustrated. He should be aware of that having dealt with Power.

I wouldn't see it as inevitable that it'll lose money. I think Bohs have returned a profit for the last 8-9 years in a row, and it's not that long ago when they had to trim their wage bill from around €1m to about €150k a year.

However the main thrust of my message was to wish the guy well I suppose and I hope he can afford his hobby. However, he's after putting his friend's son in as Chairman, which is an ominous start.

I wouldn't see it as inevitable that it'll lose money. I think Bohs have returned a profit for the last 8-9 years in a row, and it's not that long ago when they had to trim their wage bill from around €1m to about €150k a year.

However the main thrust of my message was to wish the guy well I suppose and I hope he can afford his hobby. However, he's after putting his friend's son in as Chairman, which is an ominous start.

We'll settle for wishing him well for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

While I completely echo the sentiments of wishing him well, those were my thoughts exactly. Then again, he may have other financial interests beyond the creches. All we know is that he had enough money to buy the club and seems to be prepared to put his hand in his pocket to strengthen the line up mid season. That will do for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Season ticket holders allowed attend Friday's game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

noby wrote: »

I heard that on the radio. are there current season ticket holders?

noby wrote: »

Indicates how few they sold. Nice to see some crowds returning though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Indicates how few they sold. Nice to see some crowds returning though.

Fair play to anyone who did, considering.

A draw tomorrow night would be a fantastic result. Let's hope the return of supporters helps the cause

PTH2009 wrote: »
    A draw tomorrow night would be a fantastic result. Let's hope the return of supporters helps the cause

BLUES are 10/1 tomorrow night

Not our night

We took an early lead but Rovers to strong and win 4-1

Can't fault the players for their efforts tonight
    We just need more quality added to the squad
    Longford on Monday night is tnow a massive game for us

Valuable 2-1 win for us tonight up in Longford

• Advertisement

Massive win.. Only 7 points off Finn Harps..
    Keep it going lads

Advertisement