Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford FC Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭skaface

UCD Away it is .. Same as 3 years ago when we went down 2-1.. Hopefully we'll have a better result this time

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

Anyone know what's the story with tickets for Friday night? I assume that it will be like it was for the Longford match - call out to the RSC on Friday morning? Is the capacity still 700?

Think capacity is gone up, so should be able to get tickets at the gate.. Also heard you'll be abke to buy the tickets online from later today or tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

Thanks. I brought my eight year old to the Longford game(his first time) so I might bring him along again on Friday. Would be handy to get tickets on line as I mightn't be able to get out to the ground on Friday morning if they're only on sale at the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

They will be on sale at the ground Friday night regardless. Not a hope it will sell out..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

I think the capacity for Friday night is about 2;500 so shouldn't be any issue getting tickets. massive game again, a result would be huge for us

• Registered Users Posts: 38,385 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

A bit indifferent about the whole 'call to arms' by the club owner this week ahead of tonights game. Matt Keane lapping it all up and by god he can be annoying sometimes on social media

Anyway big game tonight and a win would be brilliant esp with Dundalk having 2 games in hand

Nice option for people outside of the city and county to have regardless of it selling out or not.. You shouldn't have to worry about travelling for a game in the hope you might or might not get tickets on the day/night of a game.. Good business from the new owner again.. He's listening to what the fans want.. Up to everyone now to start supporting the team where it counts.. At the games #sleeping giants ⚽💙

1-1

Suppose getting something from the game is a positive.

Ollie Horgan working his magic again with Finn Harps beating Rovers 2-1 .

We need to regain focus but what a tough task awaits with us travelling to Tallaght stadium next weekend. Rovers will be hurting

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭SeanieW1977

What was attendance tonight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Motivator

I don’t know what planet you’re on but a full scholarship to UCD at the “elite” level would be worth €20,000 minimum per year. He’ll have access to the best of everything football wise and all on the colleges dime and he gets a university degree thrown in. An absolute no brainer for him or the college.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

What planet am I on? Minimum €20k a year!?

I understand that 5 members of the UCD squad qualified for the elite level scholarship last year worth €3k which can be used to offset the cost of fees and accommodation. Unless there's something else available to them. No argument regarding the University experience though.

The depressing thing is that the club would be delighted to give that and more to a Daryl Murphy or Damian Delaney type signing. Hopefully we can keep more talented guys from leaving the region in the future though.

Good point tonight and it keeps the momentum going.

Sometimes you cant blame lads wanting to go to the England or Scotland but i can imagine competition within squads even for National League teams would be through the roof

Ireland has been the biggest exporter of boys under U18 in the world over the last ten years.

That's all pretty much off the table now as a result of Brexit. Will be interesting to see how LOI clubs respond to the opportunity that's been presented to them.

Shamrock Rovers will do very well out of the Scales transfer (they took him from UCD) and money is still coming in from Bazunu for every Ireland cap he gets.

Post edited by hardybuck on

Two points dropped. Can't fault the players or fans. Place was rocking and players gave it 100%. Dundalk stunk the place out with eleven behind the ball they were happy with the point.

I thought a draw was a fair outcome as Dundalk were the better side for the first half and Murphy made a number of excellent saves at the start of the second half.

Finn Harps beating Shamrock Rovers is reflective of how good their form has been in recent weeks too. I think about 3-4 teams will be slogging it out to avoid that playoff spot.

The first division is some clusterfuck, teams beating each other and players getting sent off left right and centre

Let's hope we can avoid the playoffs as they will be tricky

You'd have to think if we do suffer relagation the club could go on a downward spiral

Whoever is in the play off position from the premier division will stay up. None of them good enough to beat a prem team over two legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭JourneyMan8

you'd like to think that, but football doesn't work like that. Waterford would have massive pressure on them in a playoff cause they know what a loss would mean for the club.

We would have settled for the draw at half time but could have snatched it in the last 10 minutes.. Draw was a gair result, but unfortunately we needed the 3 points more than Dundalk.. Harps hsve hit a real winning streak at the right time.. All cup finals from here on in.. All we can do is take care of our own business on the field.. Tough assignment away to Rovers next week.. I see they're not allowing any away fans.. The same should be done to them the next time they come to play in the RSC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Motivator

My brother was on an elite scholarship in DCU for four years and the value was €19,000 per year. Travel, gear, physios, books, accommodation, fees it all added up.

Fair play to him, made much more sense to go to DCU than UCD on that basis.

Average spend on LOI salaries is about €700-800k per year, so it'd be a sound model (both in financial and sporting terms) for a club like Waterford to have a few young players of that calibre in the squad on that sort of money.

Big challenge for us tonight travelling to Tallaght Stadium to face a wounded Shamrock Rovers

I'd take a draw

2-0 down now with 10 mins left.. Not looking good for us tonight.. Other results not going our way by the looks of it also

Not our night 2-0 loss away to rovers and then Finn Harps once again not giving up drawing with Derry City moving them 4pts ahead from us with 2 games in hand. Dundalk play Longford tomorrow and then have 3 games in hand. 9 league games left for us to go but we need to start collecting 3pts to stand a chance of avoiding those playoffs

Cup action next weekend away to UCD and hopefully we get over them this time round and get to a cup semi final which would be great for the club

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Nice (and surprising) result from Longford tonight to beat Dundalk. Dundalk remain a point behind us with their 2 games in-hand.

Let's hope Longford don't end up going on a winning run. 14pts between them in 10th place and 9th place with 9 games left

Drogheda at home our next league game on the 24th Sep. Massive games ahead for us

All cup finals from here on in..

Starting with the Cup Q Final this weekend 😂🏆⚽

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Massive game tonight, harps play their game in hand on us at home to bohs. we could really do with bohs getting the win as a win for harps would move them 7 points ahead of us.

• Advertisement

Bohs win 2-1

Thank god for that

Advertisement