Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford FC Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Seems to be a bit of a general dislike for cork manager, what is history/reason there? Anytime of seen him on telly he seems fairly inoffensive and doing a good job with cork clearly. obviously he was wrong to go into pitch and try get ball of hery few weeks ago but there seems to be more there.I have no special hatred or contempt for any teams we're playing,I take more pleasure in beating a Dublin team than cork, granted I'd rather get one over on our neighboring teams (cork/wexford last year) than say limerick, dundalk, wherever.must be some history there I'm not aware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Max Powers wrote: »
    Seems to be a bit of a general dislike for cork manager, what is history/reason there? Anytime of seen him on telly he seems fairly inoffensive and doing a good job with cork clearly. obviously he was wrong to go into pitch and try get ball of hery few weeks ago but there seems to be more there.I have no special hatred or contempt for any teams we're playing,I take more pleasure in beating a Dublin team than cork, granted I'd rather get one over on our neighboring teams (cork/wexford last year) than say limerick, dundalk, wherever.must be some history there I'm not aware of.

Most of it coming from the recent league match. I'm all for a healthy rivalry in a local derby, but time to move on from the Caulfield hatred, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

He is hated within the league because of his touch line antics and generally being a c***

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Doogs27

Poor fare tonight down the RSC, Waterford had an off night, never really threatened at all. Sligo probably had a point in mind but their defending and time wasting was done to perfection fair play to them. Its a sign of how far the team has come in three or four years, that bar two or three teams, the rest are happy to go ten men behind the ball and hang on.

Dissapointing result, but the Rovers Derry draw was good news. So you've got to be happy that even when not near our best, the league table keeps ticking along with another point.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

Doogs27 wrote: »
    Poor fare tonight down the RSC, Waterford had an off night, never really threatened at all. Sligo probably had a point in mind but their defending and time wasting was done to perfection fair play to them. Its a sign of how far the team has come in three or four years, that bar two or three teams, the rest are happy to go ten men behind the ball and hang on.

Dissapointing result, but the Rovers Derry draw was good news. So you've got to be happy that even when not near our best, the league table keeps ticking along with another point.

Yeah probably their worst performance this season considering they were back at full strength. Hery & Aborah couldn’t impose themselves on the game and Duffus and Akinade looked lethargic up front. Off nights like that happen though. Another red card tonight which is disappointing.

3 big games coming up in next 2 weeks with Bohs away, Dundalk at home and Rovers away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Akinade needs to get the lead out on a consistent basis.
    This is not the first time he looked disinterested/lethargic.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Akinade needs to get the lead out on a consistent basis.
    This is not the first time he looked disinterested/lethargic.

Don't agree. He made a few great tackles in defense having tracked back in the 2nd half Vs Sligo. They didn't seem to play to his strengths; lightning fast and very good in the air. They were hitting long balls or diagonal balls onto his head, which he invariably won but neither Duffus nor Kasmi were looking to run onto the knockdowns.
    Balls into the corners or behind the centrebacks he usually wins the sprints to also but again if nobody supporting he doesn't have the close control of Duffus to go it himself.
    Would be better up in the box getting fed crosses from wingers but that seems to be anathema to Rennie.
    So lack of close control and passing; yes, lack of interest or effort; most definitely no. Play to his strengths or don't play him IMHO!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,272 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Tough match away to bohs tonight

Id Take a draw

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭iseegirls

1nil up so far thanks to another Duffus goal

Great result tonight

Dundalk home on Friday night, expecting a huge crowd to go now.

• Advertisement

Let's get more in the RSC than the near 4,000 that showed up for the cork game. Big result tonight, sets it up nicely with cork being beaten by rovers too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

What's the capacity? Can more stands be added without getting the way of it's "multi-purpose" status?

They were laying concrete today for more standing room, to the right of the old stand.

The seating capacity is 3100 but they can put in safe standing pens if needed.

could they put tempory seating in behind the goals ???

If (big if) we get to the Europa League in the future what will they do ?? Could we have to play our games in Dublin or Cork ??

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gobo99

PTH2009 wrote: »
    could they put tempory seating in behind the goals ???

If (big if) we get to the Europa League in the future what will they do ?? Could we have to play our games in Dublin or Cork ??
    Th Gaelic grounds in limerick I'd say...

The RSC is fully qualified to hold Europa League games as far as I know.

The RSC is fully qualified to hold Europa League games as far as I know.

I remember researching this before. It is suitable for the first two qualifying rounds but not for the last qualifying round and main competition as a minimum of 4500 fixed seating is required. I don’t think UEFA allow temporary seating to be used unless that’s changed.

Long way to go before we can start worrying about that though lads :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭lassykk

Nice goal by Duffus and some hilarious dive by the Bohs lad!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Was that the bleached-haired Bohs lad that was being interviewed by Tony O'Donohue on Soccer Republic Monday night who took the dive? Tool; should have been booked. Great 3 points, roll on Friday night Vs Dundalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Gardner

very little promo coming out from the Club in regards to Friday night.

its as if there happy with whatever turns up once the turnover figure of about 2k is reached. (quote from Lee Power on figure with WLR earlier in season)

whoever is in charge of PR at WFC needs a kick up the hole!

Gardner wrote: »
    very little promo coming out from the Club in regards to Friday night.

its as if there happy with whatever turns up once the turnover figure of about 2k is reached. (quote from Lee Power on figure with WLR earlier in season)

whoever is in charge of PR at WFC needs a kick up the hole!

There is no advertising fund for Waterford FC. Social media is all they have. We got nearly 4000 at the cork game, 3000 odd for rovers and derry, 2 and a half thousand for bray and we got 2000 or so for the Monday night games. we are doing exceptional.

3500 there to witness an unbelievable match. Blues won 2-1, great to see Izzy get off the mark. Who,e team was unreal.

Amazing result and crowd from what I've heard

Who would of thought 15 games in we would be in the top 3 and 5 points clear of 4th place (although Derry have a game in hand)

Keep this up and were in with a great shout of Europe for 2019/2020 (this season won't make the 2018/19 Euro season)

I wonder will we give the FAI cup a serious rattle ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Amazing result and crowd from what I've heard

Who would of thought 15 games in we would be in the top 3 and 5 points clear of 4th place (although Derry have a game in hand)

Keep this up and were in with a great shout of Europe for 2019/2020 (this season won't make the 2018/19 Euro season)

I wonder will we give the FAI cup a serious rattle ??

That's always a weird one for the summer leagues such a long wait - still I suppose it means small clubs can prepare for a euro campaign, even if it's only a few qualifiers long.

That's always a weird one for the summer leagues such a long wait - still I suppose it means small clubs can prepare for a euro campaign, even if it's only a few qualifiers long.

It worked for Dundalk and Rovers recently

Sadly we prob will never see an Irish club going far in Europe but small steps. My Christ the euro tournaments have some amount of teams in them when u like through the qualifers

Blues bow out of the league cup going down 1-0 in Sligo. 8 changes to the starting 11 with an eye on Fridays big game up in Tallaght against shamrock rovers.

Blues bow out of the league cup going down 1-0 in Sligo. 8 changes to the starting 11 with an eye on Fridays big game up in Tallaght against shamrock rovers.

Kenny Browne started and went off injured after a few minutes. Strange to start him in a match like this considering his recent injuries. He can’t catch a break this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Kenny Browne started and went off injured after a few minutes. Strange to start him in a match like this considering his recent injuries. He can’t catch a break this season.

He probably needed to gain some match fitness especially after being out of the first team for a while.

Advertisement