Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford FC Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

Gardner wrote: »
    id be very careful quoting or linking a right wing fascist website.

i want the sources that i have asked for above. simple as that! it cant be that hard?!

Apologies, I wasn't actually responding to your request for sources as we are both actually looking for the same thing.

I was merely showing a transcript from the media report which I did mention was not from an unbiased source

This is a link to the Irish Examiner article on the same matter back in 2014 which has been removed from their website due to the injunction proceedings I would imagine.

https://web.archive.org/web/20141102173453/http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/three-kildare-men-sentenced-for-sex-abuse-of-teenage-girl-649354.html

There has been literally zero proof put forward to refute his guilt and the only thing we have to go on is his confession to the charges

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

lassykk wrote: »
    https://theukdatabase.com/2014/11/01/3-kildare-residents-each-receive-suspended-sentences-for-sexual-abuse-of-schoolgirl/

I'm not saying this is unbiased but it appears to be a transcript of the court report in the media at the time.

Given that he pleaded guilty there is surely nothing to debate here?

If there is something official out there that proves different then I would imagine it would be front and centre in all discussions around this topic

Cmon now, reliable, official ,unbiased reports is what i/we wanted....I saw that already and immediately discounted that. If people are basing their position/opinion/whatever on this type of stuff or stuff heard randomly down the pub, I'd suggest have a look again or be a little more reticent.

Max Powers wrote: »
    Cmon now, reliable, official ,unbiased reports is what i/we wanted....I saw that already and immediately discounted that. If people are basing their position/opinion/whatever on this type of stuff or stuff heard randomly down the pub, I'd suggest have a look again or be a little more reticent.

See link above from Irish Examiner saved by web archiving site. No reason to doubt the validity of this.

Link removed from earlier post due to biased nature of it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

And what if someone whose word you value and trust said to you: trust me, I cannot show you documented evidence, yet, but there is no story here?

What if you looked at the fact that the club, under the guidance of Rennie (who I reckon is a man of principle) signed this player, perhaps knowing more than we do?
    This player who, while is good, and has potential to improve, isn't such a world beater that a club might ignore such awful past crimes that have been rumored for the sake of a few goals?

What if then you look at the online campaign by the aforementioned UK website, amongst others, who, to me, come across as a thinly veiled right wing, racist group?

What if, after all that, with still no concrete documented evidence in your hand that people are pleading for, you trusted your gut, and came to the conclusion that there is no story here?

That's the process I went through, and I am 100% behind the player, and the club.

noby wrote: »
    And what if someone whose word you value and trust said to you: trust me, I cannot show you documented evidence, yet, but there is no story here?

What if you looked at the fact that the club, under the guidance of Rennie (who I reckon is a man of principle) signed this player, perhaps knowing more than we do?
    This player who, while is good, and has potential to improve, isn't such a world beater that a club might ignore such awful past crimes that have been rumored for the sake of a few goals?

What if then you look at the online campaign by the aforementioned UK website, amongst others, who, to me, come across as a thinly veiled right wing, racist group?

What if, after all that, with still no concrete documented evidence in your hand that people are pleading for, you trusted your gut, and came to the conclusion that there is no story here?

That's the process I went through, and I am 100% behind the player, and the club.

I truthfully hope he's innocent and I have no vendetta against him or the club but there are articles from at least one unbiased source (I apologised for including the UK source already) stating he confessed to these crimes along with 2 other young men.

• Advertisement

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

And my understanding is these are literally the articles that were the cause of court proceedings against the papers.
    That's why they have been taken down.

Anyway, I think there's enough out there for people to make up their own minds, so I'm done talking about it.

I see that the lad on loan at Bohs from Leicester has been released. Rumour is we could be interested in him.
    A win Friday night will set us up nicely for the summer break - a chance to get a couple more players in, hopefully tie down Duffus for the rest of the season, and possibly as good time for Rennie to get back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

With accusations like this I would need the concrete documented evidence more than trusting my gut.

Anyway, I think there's enough out there for people to make up their own minds, so I'm done talking about it.

Thats the thing theres not enough out there,if there is more could you point us in the right direction?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

Noby thats why i stated previously at the end of the legal process a statement from both parties needs to be released. its as simple as that. clear the air and quit all the bull**** within all circles of communication.

Thats the thing theres not enough out there,if there is more could you point us in the right direction?

Maybe I worded that badly; I don't know of any thing else out there.

I can pm you what I've been told, but if you're looking for more than that, until the cases go through the courts I'm not sure if there will be any more on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Maybe I worded that badly; I don't know of any thing else out there.

I can pm you what I've been told, but if you're looking for more than that, until the cases go through the courts I'm not sure if there will be any more on it.

Its ok i work with a couple of diehard supporters and what they told me is probably the same as you heard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

And my understanding is these are literally the articles that were the cause of court proceedings against the papers.
    That's why they have been taken down.

It was my understanding that articles that connected him with a conviction of rape were the erroneous ones and had to be removed.

From the above I understand that you mean those that referred to him entering a guilty plea for sexual abuse and being convicted were also erroneous?

Is that what you mean?

It was my understanding that articles that connected him with a conviction of rape were the erroneous ones and had to be removed.

From the above I understand that you mean those that referred to him entering a guilty plea for sexual abuse and being convicted were also erroneous?

Is that what you mean?

PM'd

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Is that what you mean?

It seems those reports were correct.

It was (and remains?) a crime to have (consensual) sex with an underage person .... there was some change discussed a while ago for situations such as this where both parties were close in age. I have no idea what the outcome of that was.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭WFC1930

Yeah lads I’ll pull out my screen shots of official court documents there nice one! You can go request to see them I’m pretty sure. They state Akinade was not present the night his two friends of the time raped the girl. He did plead guilty to attempted defilement however, all be it with the girls consent despite not legally being able to give it. The reason the papers are sued is because they reported he was present at the time of the rape which is incorrect. I’m not sure if there is still ongoing cases against people who reported the wrong information. His cases against the newspapers were so strong that it defeated the lawyer Denis O’Brien I think is his name who is meant to be a big name lawyer

Oh and it really makes me cringe when people post the old newspaper article where it says he raped the girl... it’s from a database site for Christ sake. It would still be up on the Irish times and whatever else if it were true. The papers made a huge blunder causing Izzy’s life to nearly be ruined!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

WFC1930 wrote: »
    Yeah lads I’ll pull out my screen shots of official court documents there nice one! You can go request to see them I’m pretty sure. They state Akinade was not present the night his two friends of the time raped the girl. He did plead guilty to attempted defilement however, all be it with the girls consent despite not legally being able to give it. The reason the papers are sued is because they reported he was present at the time of the rape which is incorrect. I’m not sure if there is still ongoing cases against people who reported the wrong information. His cases against the newspapers were so strong that it defeated the lawyer Denis O’Brien I think is his name who is meant to be a big name lawyer

Without these court papers your claims have no weight. Not unlike others who have made similar claims in the last six months you have nothing to back them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Can we get back to more important issues.... and change the title of this thread to Waterford FC 2018 Thread?

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Without these court papers your claims have no weight. Not unlike others who have made similar claims in the last six months you have nothing to back them up.
    Okay I guess.. This is part of the original newspaper report that was meant to be sent

iseegirls wrote: »
    Can we get back to more important issues.... and change the title of this thread to Waterford FC 2018 Thread?

And now I agree.. any more talk on signings?

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Logic

Thread has turned into some load of sh1te lately

• Advertisement

And now I agree.. any more talk on signings?

We seem to be linked to everyone according to the papers. No idea of there's any substance behind any of them.

We seem to be linked to everyone according to the papers. No idea of there's any substance behind any of them.

Brian Murphy linked, don’t know if the interest is mutual.. you’d be happy enough with Matt for the foreseeable future tho imo should it not come off.. Dylan Watts would be a great signing, probably be the favorites to sign him id imangine.. released by Leicester now.. I’m aware of a few guys from different countries training with us

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭dk1982

Brian Murphy linked, don’t know if the interest is mutual.. you’d be happy enough with Matt for the foreseeable future tho imo should it not come off.. Dylan Watts would be a great signing, probably be the favorites to sign him id imangine.. released by Leicester now.. I’m aware of a few guys from different countries training with us

Why would Brian Murphy sign after just getting promoted to the premier League where he'll be on top dollar?!!

dk1982 wrote: »
    Why would Brian Murphy sign after just getting promoted to the premier League where he'll be on top dollar?!!

He’s being released I think. Not to mention he wasn’t getting his game

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Pretty sure Noe Baba is signing. Mickey Drennan was also mentioned. Don’t think Hutchinson will be. Duffus also likely to stay. Centre half also rumoured, and Hunt already on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

jimbojazz wrote: »
    Pretty sure Noe Baba is signing. Mickey Drennan was also mentioned. Don’t think Hutchinson will be. Duffus also likely to stay. Centre half also rumoured, and Hunt already on board.

What Hutchinson are blues linked to? Not dessie at Brighton is it? Hoping he makes an impression in England still but would be some signing. Would be huge if they managed to get duffus on a permanent contract, apparently he wants to stay

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    What Hutchinson are blues linked to? Not dessie at Brighton is it? Hoping he makes an impression in England still but would be some signing. Would be huge if they managed to get duffus on a permanent contract, apparently he wants to stay

Yes, it was Dessie, he was training with them, but from what I hear, he’s supposedly going to Luton - again not confirmed.

Duffus should be here till the end of the season but is attracting interest elsewhere, Cork City rumoured to be one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Okay I guess.. This is part of the original newspaper report that was meant to be sent

No author or name of newspaper it may as well be an extract from a John Grisham book.

jimbojazz wrote: »

Duffus should be here till the end of the season but is attracting interest elsewhere, Cork City rumoured to be one.

Cork have that European money burning a hole in their pocket. I hoped they blew it all on Delaney.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Cape Clear wrote: »
    No author or name of newspaper it may as well be an extract from a John Grisham book.

Tbh I think it is fairly clear at this stage.

The reporting that Akinade pleaded guilty to sexual assault and attempted defilement of the 14-year old girl on March 15th 2010 is correct. As is the reporting that Akinade pleaded guilty to attempted defilement on March 25th.

However, Akinade is taking legal action against various media for reporting that he was present (and participating) when the girl was taken to a forest clearing and the other two defendants pinned her to the ground and forced themselves on her.

Advertisement