Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford FC Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,276 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

3-2 win Great 3 points

Waterford FC are delighted to announce the signing of Portuguese-born midfielder Carlos Wilson.

The midfielder joins the clubs after a recent spell with Portuguese side União da Madeira. He’s also had spells in Spain, Belgium and Greece. The club can also confirm that John Kavanagh has returned to Cork City after the completion of his loan deal.

Wilson becomes the club’s latest signing and will go straight into the squad pending international clearance. Speaking after signing today, the 29-year-old former Deportivo de La Coruña player, known as “Rudy” was delighted to join the club.

“I am very pleased to be joining Waterford FC. I had a great welcome from the staff and the boys since I’ve come in. My first impression was positive and I was blown away by the depth the coaches go into in training.

“The football club has a very positive atmosphere and the boys get along very well with brilliant team spirit on and off the field. Waterford is a great club to be at and I think I will learn a lot here.”

Speaking after the signing, Waterford FC manager Alan Reynolds said: “He’s come in and he’s done well with the lads so we delighted to get him sorted. He’s a big, strong lad and we think he’s suit what we’re trying to do.

“We’ve brought in Noel, Dessie, Noe, kept Courtney and now we’ve added Rudy, so we’re adding the depth that we’ll need for the rest of the season.”

The club would also like to thank John Kavanagh who has returned to Cork City after the completion of his loan deal. Injury put a stop to Kavanagh’s run of games at the Blues but the club wish John all the best.

“John has gone back to Cork,” Reynolds said. “He was a great lad to have around, was unlucky with the injury but we thank him for all his work during the first half of the season and wish him well.”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Gardner

hopefully this guy is another Stanley and will slot in there when Stanley tires in the second half and the same can be said about Dessie, he will slot into the Paul Keegan role. Noe will either play left or right full where we have been crippled with injures all season. Hunty is a great option to have with 20/25 min to go. the 2 lads up front work their socks off and unfortunately Deano isn't there quiet yet to make that impact off the bench that we need.
    Still surprised we haven't signed a centre half but they seem to be very rare. squad is shaping up well. we have come a long way since the start of the season in terms of the squad depth and our expectations of the team and club. long may it last

Will make the game Friday night

Hopefully the great weather continues and a big crowd attend

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭junkster12345

Yeah really looking forward to fridays game.......hopefully with the good weather and a few new signings, including hunty who i cant wait to see play , we will have a big attendance ..... bring everyone along and lets get the place hopping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭WFC1930

Gardner wrote: »
    hopefully this guy is another Stanley and will slot in there when Stanley tires in the second half and the same can be said about Dessie, he will slot into the Paul Keegan role. Noe will either play left or right full where we have been crippled with injures all season. Hunty is a great option to have with 20/25 min to go. the 2 lads up front work their socks off and unfortunately Deano isn't there quiet yet to make that impact off the bench that we need.
    Still surprised we haven't signed a centre half but they seem to be very rare. squad is shaping up well. we have come a long way since the start of the season in terms of the squad depth and our expectations of the team and club. long may it last

Baba played defensive mid for macclesfiled last year also so a good option to have. Gutted John Kav is gone.

Drawn away too Skerries Town for the 1st Round of the FAI cup

Not at the races so far tonight but Bohs keeper Shane Supple playing very well and you can see why he was in the Irish squad recently

Finished 1-1 tonight

Good 2nd half with Hery scoring a good goal and playing very well. Sadly Noel Hunt went off injured, hopefully it's not too serious

A small break and then it's Shamrock Rovers at home on Sunday 22nd July at 3pm. Was originally Fri 20th don't knw why it got moved ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Noel Hunt? THE Noel Hunt?

• Advertisement

Noel Hunt? THE Noel Hunt?

Yeah signed as a player/assistant manager a few weeks ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It's a short leap to Daryl Murphy's return.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Bad first, good second half.one all probably fair result. Could have extended lead over rovers. we need to get attendance figures regularly over 2000, 1800+ there tonight, good atmosphere none the less, not too bad attendance suppose considering football back on tv..on that note, great to see Neymar going home. Really like that adidas blues flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

A small break and then it's Shamrock Rovers at home on Sunday 22nd July at 3pm. Was originally Fri 20th don't knw why it got moved ???

Rovers have a European tie.

Out of interest how many of the first team panel are pros ???

Would some work/study and play ??

I imagine we don't have a training camp to use for day to day stuff ??

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Out of interest how many of the first team panel are pros ???

Would some work/study and play ??

I imagine we don't have a training camp to use for day to day stuff ??

All players signed on professional contracts but I'm sure some of them do study aswell. The club also have full use of the rsc facilities, woodlands hotel facilities and I think the WIT campus aswell.

cococoady wrote: »
    All players signed on professional contracts but I'm sure some of them do study aswell. The club also have full use of the rsc facilities, woodlands hotel facilities and I think the WIT campus aswell.

I'm always under the assumption pro footballers just train for a few hours a day and then can do what they want. Prob a lot of work goes in we don't see

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Any reason why Duffus didn't start or even come on during the Friday match? Also was Aborah injured or suspended?

Also, Was quite a rare outing where I could go to a match and not wear a jumper or coat. This is what summer football was meant to be about. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

iseegirls wrote: »
    Any reason why Duffus didn't start or even come on during the Friday match? Also was Aborah injured or suspended?

Also, Was quite a rare outing where I could go to a match and not wear a jumper or coat. This is what summer football was meant to be about. :)

Both were injured. Duffus not so bad but they didn't want to risk him on the rock hard pitch as he suffers with a knee which rules him out of games on astro

anyone else pretty excited for the rovers game this weekend......its a real 6 pointer of a game if we can get the win.....i expect the ground to be close to sold out too so hopefully the place will be rocking.

• Advertisement

anyone else pretty excited for the rovers game this weekend......its a real 6 pointer of a game if we can get the win.....i expect the ground to be close to sold out too so hopefully the place will be rocking.

Hope so, need to get numbers up beyond 2000 I'd say for sustainability, could even be beyond that as previous cork and rovers matches brought in over 3000 if I recall accurately. I'm a little worried about out form, last match against bohs was not impressive, felt like couldn't get going, did for second half maybe but need to be in top form going into this.totally agree..a massive game

Hoping to go Sunday. Be a huge win but don't underestimate Rovers. Hopefully no crowd trouble

Touch wood were almost guaranteed 9 points between the games home and away vs Bray and home vs Limerick. If they stay in the state there in atm

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Hoping to go Sunday. Be a huge win but don't underestimate Rovers. Hopefully no crowd trouble

Touch wood were almost guaranteed 9 points between the games home and away vs Bray and home vs Limerick. If they stay in the state there in atm

Christ...don't say guaranteed points....It's terrible to see state of bray and limerick, let's not forget, we there recently ourselves, fair to say every club in league has or could be in similar if things happen. Sorry state for Irish football to be so precarious. Positive Structures I feel in place with underage system for first time ever, can only be good for Irish players/football if it gets the support it needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Gardner

said it before and i will say it again! the club aren't doing enough to get bums on seats! at present its either a plug from Tony Burke for 2 min on the Eamonn Keane show on a Thursday or Friday before the game, Matt Keane on news day of game, an email from the club 24 hours beforehand and a sign outside of the RSC.

with the boghockey over the year the club should be taking full advantage of this! be lucky if we break the 2k mark on Sunday

said it before and i will say it again! the club aren't doing enough to get bums on seats! at present its either a plug from Tony Burke for 2 min on the Eamonn Keane show on a Thursday or Friday before the game, Matt Keane on news day of game, an email from the club 24 hours beforehand and a sign outside of the RSC.

with the boghockey over the year the club should be taking full advantage of this! be lucky if we break the 2k mark on Sunday

Bit harsh...attendance is still good for LOI, could be better of course...what would you do to increase numbers considering they probably have zero budget for promotion, ads, etc. They are probably doing best they can in my limited knowledge of what managing a LOI club is. Plus, if you think can do better, they would probably be happy to have you put some of your plans in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Max Powers wrote: »
    Bit harsh...attendance is still good for LOI, could be better of course...what would you do to increase numbers considering they probably have zero budget for promotion, ads, etc. They are probably doing best they can in my limited knowledge of what managing a LOI club is. Plus, if you think can do better, they would probably be happy to have you put some of your plans in place.

Hard to increase the attendance give the side is third in the league and the title is out of sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Hard to increase the attendance give the side is third in the league and the title is out of sight.

In fairness, we may be out of contention for the title, but we are in pole position for third place and European games next year. That is absolutely huge for the club. This is an incredible season Really, I'd have been happy with consolidating our place in premier division at the beginning.

It's a huge game on Sunday, win it and we push our lead over rovers to 10 points, lose and it's tight again. Plus Derry are away to cork on Monday night. Hopefully this is the weekend when we kick on and cament our place in Europe.

It's a massive game for the club. Hopefully a big local crowd turns up to support the team, rovers will certainly bring a big crowd too. I can't wait for the game.

Max Powers wrote: »

One idea i have for the club which ive seen done with rugby league while i was living in australia , is to get the players to visit a school and give the kids some free tickets to games that are not going to be sold out.

This gets kids interested and asking the following week to go again..... empty seats make no money.....at least there is a backside on the seat who potentially could become a supporter on an ongoing basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Eamonn Keane is to caught up talking endlessly about the GAA anyway.

He takes up a portion almost everyday on some GAA related topic.

I was listening the day of the first Cork home game and he gave all of 2 minutes, talked for about 15 about some county GAA match of no importance.

He comes up with the excuse of not being able to contact anyone at the club even though Matt Keane works for WLR

When McGrath retired he gave a whole show and nearly the whole week discussing it.

• Advertisement

Match will be rescheduled again if Rovers win there Europa League match with AIK and get through to the next round but they have a 1-0 deficit going into tomorrows away leg.

I can make the game and praying they don't win

Advertisement