Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford FC Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,171 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I'm someone who used to play a lot of underage football in Waterford and togged out with the Schoolboy league outfits over the years, but am totally disconnected with things now. I remember going down to the RSC as a boy when things were good in the 2000s and it's great to see things going well again now.

How many of the current Waterford FC team would be local (and I'd include places in the general area around Waterford as local), and how are the underage sides doing?

I see that there is a new LOI type setup for underage sides now? A lot of the Dublin nurseries seemed to be worried about the LOI clubs poaching their teenagers, but I can see the sense behind it.

I played in an era where a lot of Waterford lads ended up going to England very young, most of them making a quick return with no education and never playing football again as an adult. It would be brilliant if talented kids could stay at home, play some LOI, maybe while getting a scholarship to attend WIT, before making the move a little bit older and more prepared if they were still seen as good enough.

Good to see Shamrock Rovers getting a few bob for the young goalkeeper going to Man City, as opposed to English clubs hoovering up young Irish lads for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

hardybuck wrote: »
    I'm someone who used to play a lot of underage football in Waterford and togged out with the Schoolboy league outfits over the years, but am totally disconnected with things now. I remember going down to the RSC as a boy when things were good in the 2000s and it's great to see things going well again now.

How many of the current Waterford FC team would be local (and I'd include places in the general area around Waterford as local), and how are the underage sides doing?

I see that there is a new LOI type setup for underage sides now? A lot of the Dublin nurseries seemed to be worried about the LOI clubs poaching their teenagers, but I can see the sense behind it.

I played in an era where a lot of Waterford lads ended up going to England very young, most of them making a quick return with no education and never playing football again as an adult. It would be brilliant if talented kids could stay at home, play some LOI, maybe while getting a scholarship to attend WIT, before making the move a little bit older and more prepared if they were still seen as good enough.

Good to see Shamrock Rovers getting a few bob for the young goalkeeper going to Man City, as opposed to English clubs hoovering up young Irish lads for nothing.

Agree with all that, good set ups in place, rovers have a great set up...good luck to them. Blues have good arrangements in place too, pitch, training pitch, RSC is reasonably well set up for numbers/LOI standards, link ups with WIT and like you said underage system there to take best of region, give them good coaching, play against best country has to offer. Ruud Doktor from Holland designed system and it's a good one, all depends on support, money, locals getting behind team and supporting it. It seems like staying in LOI is often the preferred route to take now for young talented footballers, do their leaving, then go over if good enough in early twenties, bit more mature. Good few of the team local Waterford lads, couple kk lads too.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Deiselurker

Matt Connor, Kenny Browne, Des Hutchinson and Noel Hunt all local lads and Gavin Holohan from Kilkenny so good mix of players there at moment with a few from other parts of Ireland and foreign imports as well. We have Bastian Hery for some French flair and in almost 30 years supporting the Blues is the most skilful player I've seen play for us. He got the goal up in Drogheda last night. After 2 away ties we deserve a home draw in quarter finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,278 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Delighted to be in the QFs and hopefully get a nice home draw but we have fairly bad luck and prob end up getting Derry city away

We can get the following in the cup QFs

Bohemians
    Cork City
    Dundalk
    Derry City
    Limerick
    Longford Town
    UCD

All tough opponents, would love to avoid the first 4 teams in that list. Longford or UCD at home would be nice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Away to ucd next round

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Pity we didn't get the home game but ucd away is a very winnable game. Not a bad draw

Yeah nice draw but need to keep concentration, cup football can be very funny . Think it will be played Friday 7th Sep or sometime that weekend

A semi final will be massive for the club and the supporters and a final would be insane not just for the club but for the whole Waterford soccer community but dont be jumping ahead of ourselfs just yet

Rovers away to Dundalk tomorrow with them away to Bray on Friday, we travel to St Pats the same night

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Gardner

you have to fancy us getting to semi final. Home draw vs Cork, Derry/Bohs would be unreal. need to avoid Dundalk.

be great to get to a cup final. Hery would only love it! He has to be the best footballer I've seen play for the blues since i started supporting them in 1990.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

Matt Connor, Kenny Browne, Des Hutchinson and Noel Hunt all local lads and Gavin Holohan from Kilkenny so good mix of players there at moment with a few from other parts of Ireland and foreign imports as well. We have Bastian Hery for some French flair and in almost 30 years supporting the Blues is the most skilful player I've seen play for us. He got the goal up in Drogheda last night. After 2 away ties we deserve a home draw in quarter finals.

This might sound a bit obscure, but does anyone remember Jose Quitongo https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jos%C3%A9_Quitongo who played for the Blues in the mid 90's? Unfortunately, he didn't have the sort of all-round ability and willingness to work that a good footballer needs and he never really settled anywhere. However, in terms of raw skill, I think that he must be one of the best that we've ever had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

This might sound a bit obscure, but does anyone remember Jose Quitongo https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jos%C3%A9_Quitongo who played for the Blues in the mid 90's? Unfortunately, he didn't have the sort of all-round ability and willingness to work that a good footballer needs and he never really settled anywhere. However, in terms of raw skill, I think that he must be one of the best that we've ever had.

Yes remember him. Played in Scotland after that TnaG at the time used to have a Scotish & Spanish league highlights show on a Mondya night. Produced by Nemeton .. The commentator used to always give him special mention.

Remaining fixtures

Fri 31st Aug- St Pats (A)
    Weekend of 7/8/9 Sep- UCD (A) cup
    Fri 14th Sep- Bray (H)
    Fri 21st Sep- Sligo (H)
    Weekend of 28/29/30 Sep- cup semi final pleae god
    Fri 5th Oct- Bohs (A)
    Fri 12th Oct- Dundalk (H)
    Fri 19th Oct- Shamrock Rovers (A)
    Fri 26th Oct- Limerick (H)

Some tough tough games to end our season. Octs run of games is the really dog eat dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Any kind of a result this Friday would be good.
    Home to Bray and Sligo really are must win games. The away game at Rovers could almost be like a cup final for third place.

Edit: Rovers playing their game in hand tonight against Dundalk.

Rovers 1-0 at HT

Come on Dundalk

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

injury time penalty wins it for Rovers, 2-1 away to Dundalk. Unexpected result and fair to say could be a crucial one for Rovers and for the Blues. We are 1 point ahead now with same games played. Need a result away to Pats Friday night

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    injury time penalty wins it for Rovers, 2-1 away to Dundalk. Unexpected result and fair to say could be a crucial one for Rovers and for the Blues. We are 1 point ahead now with same games played. Need a result away to Pats Friday night

Yeah disaster of a result, turned off my notifications for it as I thought they be little injury time played and then looked at it 1-2

We're in the deep end now and this will show what were made off now. Rovers play bray Friday so are more or less guaranteed 3pts, we have a very tough game away to St Pats. Very possible we will be back in 4th come Friday night and pray for a Rovers slip up and don't lose the rest of our games. Very possible a winners takes all game on the second last day in Tallaght.

Rovers games left
    Bray (A)
    Limerick (H)
    Derry (A)
    Cork (A)
    St Pats (A)
    Waterford (H)
    Sligo (A)

Apart from our game on the second last day vs Rovers we still have to travel twice to Dublin (Pats and Bohs) but have Bray, Sligo and on the last day Limeick at home. Of course we have a very tough game at home against Dundalk too

We can still make Europe in 4th though. A cup win or A Dundalk/Cork cup win.

tomorrows nights game away to St Pats will be live on WLR from 7.30

Very good coverage of highlights on Waterford FCs youtube page

****ing disaster of a night

beaten 3-0 away to St Pats, Rovers win 3-0 away to Bray and move up to third place

Derry city beaten by Bohs 2-0

So we are now in 4th place on 47 points with Rovers in 3rd on 49pts and St Pats in 5th on 40pts

UCD in the cup next Friday with our next league game at home to Bray on the 14th Sep. Rovers play Limerick at home the same night with St Pats travelling too Sligo the day after (both St Pats and Rovers will have a break next weekend as there out of the cup)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Pats wont be an issue. Rovers like us can be inconsistent, it will all boil down to who keeps their nerve. I fancy us for 3rd, im guessing there will be about two points in it.

Altho i have to admit even getting fourth and winning the cup would do.

Thinking of heading up on Friday next for the cup QF

Have no idea about the UCD bowl and what kind of stadium it is. I doubt there be many pubs around it as UCD do have quite a small fan base

We will be driving from Naas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Deiselurker

I've been to the UCD bowl a few times. Nice, compact, new stadium with one stand that both sets of fans will be in. Waterford fans could be in the majority. I'm not sure about pubs. It's on UCD campus so probably is a pub there. Waterford need to be on their guard as UCD are in great form and just need a point from last 2 games to clinch the 1st division.

I've been to the UCD bowl a few times. Nice, compact, new stadium with one stand that both sets of fans will be in. Waterford fans could be in the majority. I'm not sure about pubs. It's on UCD campus so probably is a pub there. Waterford need to be on their guard as UCD are in great form and just need a point from last 2 games to clinch the 1st division.

Yeah really need too keep our heads and get the win. Ucd will be up for this and are an eager young team and are on home turf.

When the draw was made a lot of Waterford fans were secrerley making plans for the semi finals after we saw UCD struggle against a non league side but a guaranteed win for us is not promised esp with our struggling form atm

Looking forward to the game

cant wait for Friday night and hopefully a good crowd will travel up for the game

Its not going to be easy UCD are in great form and were at a small slump atm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

PTH2009 wrote: »
    cant wait for Friday night and hopefully a good crowd will travel up for the game

Its not going to be easy UCD are in great form and were at a small slump atm

Two buses booked up already and countless others will drive.

Two buses booked up already and countless others will drive.

great to see

Courtney Duffus (illness) out tomorrow and Sander Puri is on international duty with Estonia

All going very bad up here in UCD 2-0 down at HT

Playing terrible

2-1 loss Aborah with the penalty

Very bad performance and a golden chance of a cup semi final gone

Back to league action next Friday at home to Bray. Need a big performance but can't see where it will come from

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

This dip will ensure Reynolds is not there next season. He seems to have let it slip too much. Even a 3rd place finish wont save him now id reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

alta stare wrote:
    This dip will ensure Reynolds is not there next season. He seems to have let it slip too much. Even a 3rd place finish wont save him now id reckon.

He won't be there either way . He has to go back working for the FAI as far as I know, he was only released to end of season . Noel hunt will be managing next season

Advertisement