Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford FC Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Think the two of them have been a decent partnership. Browne has been the cause of more goals lately than Webster. But overall think they've been a good pairing.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Think the two of them have been a decent partnership. Browne has been the cause of more goals lately than Webster. But overall think they've been a good pairing.

Sorry, but don’t see it that way, Webster has cost us games v Bray, Limerick twice, Pats and Rovers to name a few, don’t rate at all. Bear in mind Browne’s been injured a lot and is still turning in big performances

Browne was dreadful against pats and cork lately off the top of my head. Completely agree about his injuries but don't think he has been as good the second half of the season as he was in the first (like nearly all of them). Webster was dreadful against Limerick and bray, I agree on that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

3pts is really a must this esp with Bohemians form and us travelling up to Dalymount on the 5th Oct for the 4th last game of the season. Hopefully Dundalk have the league won by the time they play us in the RSC on the 12th Oct and bring down a second string side but it could be quite possible it could be our game that they will capture the league title if they win and will have there strongest 11 out. Also Cork city struggling atm and may lose out in the cup semi final meaning 4th may not get us into Europe

remaining fixtures

Round 32
    Fri 21st Sep
    Waterford vs Sligo Rovers
    Bray vs Limerick
    Derry City vs Shamrock Rovers
    Cork City vs Dundalk
    St Pats vs Bohs (Sat 22nd Sep)

Round 31
    25th Sep
    Dundalk vs Derry City

Cup break weekend of 28/29/30 Sep

Round 33
    Fri 06th Oct
    Bohs vs Waterford
    Limerick vs Derry City
    Dundalk vs St Pats
    Shamrock Rovers vs Cork City
    Sligo Rovers vs Bray (Sat 06 Oct)

Round 34
    Fri 12th Oct
    Waterford vs Dundalk
    Bray vs Derry City
    St Pats vs Shamrock Rovers
    Cork City vs Limerick
    Sligo vs Bohs (Sat 13 Oct)

Round 35
    Fri 19th Oct
    Shamrock Rovers vs Waterford
    Limerick vs St Pats
    Bray vs Bohs
    Dundalk vs Sligo Rovers
    Derry City vs Cork City

Round 36
    Fri 26th Oct
    Waterford vs Limerick
    Sligo vs Shamrock Rovers
    St Pats vs Derry City
    Bohs vs Dundalk
    Cork City vs Bray

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

If say dundalk win the cup but cork are beaten in the semi final, does 4th place in the league or losing cup finalist get the last European spot?

• Advertisement

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    If say dundalk win the cup but cork are beaten in the semi final, does 4th place in the league or losing cup finalist get the last European spot?

4th In the league

Cup semis are now Dundalk vs UCD and Bohs vs Cork City. As we knw a Dundalk vs Cork City final will mean 4th place will get the final Irish Europa league spot. Imo we need it to that final pairing and we finish 4th as I can't see us beating Rovers or them slipping up along the way

First things first 3pts is a must on Friday night

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

the way Bohs are playing at the moment i wouldn't be too surprised if they turn Cork over at Home....... again!

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Gardner wrote: »
    the way Bohs are playing at the moment i wouldn't be too surprised if they turn Cork over at Home....... again!

Yes I was thinking the same last night, huge win for them away to derry last night. Makes our own run in tougher too, Sligo at home tomorrow night which we have to win. Then away to bohs, home to dundalk and away to rovers. Tough games there. We will need to be playing well to get points from those games

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

People seem to have lost sight of the fact that a mid-table finish would be a good result this season. Most (at the start of the season) would have agreed I think.

Why everyone seems to expect immediate big results is quite beyond me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

People seem to have lost sight of the fact that a mid-table finish would be a good result this season. Most (at the start of the season) would have agreed I think.

True. I think if we had a shaky first half to the season, and strong finish we'd be delighted with fourth spot.
    The fact we were in a strong position up until recently probably meant we all started dreaming, and getting ahead of ourselves.

Power and co also saw our brillent start and there expectations really changed and are expecting Euro football next season or questions will be asked. They say we have one of the best squads in the league

Still a top 6 finish would of been very acceptable at the start of the season. We need a few more players next season as it will be even harder esp with Rovers, Bohs improving and the Likes of Dundalk and Cork City there too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Really???? Given the players who were signed and the investment the owner has put in finishing below 4th would not be good for the club. Alot of those players are on good money and the club needs European football to sustain those wages, there is only so much the owner can give without return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

alta stare wrote: »
    Really???? Given the players who were signed and the investment the owner has put in finishing below 4th would not be good for the club. Alot of those players are on good money and the club needs European football to sustain those wages, there is only so much the owner can give without return.

I think there doing fairly well in fairness. In two seasons gone from no hopers first division to top 4 in premier. I'd say the owners might even be year or 2 ahead of schedule. If European football is secured at end of season either from 4th or 3rd position surely that's a great achievement by everyone involved and i feel nobody should underestimate that achievement. I'm sure power signed up knowing the cost involved before seeing any return. It's all better than a few years back anyway.

debok wrote: »
    I think there doing fairly well in fairness. In two seasons gone from no hopers first division to top 4 in premier. I'd say the owners might even be year or 2 ahead of schedule. If European football is secured at end of season either from 4th or 3rd position surely that's a great achievement by everyone involved and i feel nobody should underestimate that achievement. I'm sure power signed up knowing the cost involved before seeing any return. It's all better than a few years back anyway.

Ah yeah i agree they have done well but given the money spent and the first half of the season being as good as it was i reckon anything below 4th is not good.

He had a 3 yr plan for Europe. We are ahead of schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭WFC1930

How did he? The target was European football at the end of the season. We have had a great season and a very bad run of form doesn’t spoil that, we are probably where we should be, we probably have the 4th best side in the league when you compare to other LOI teams. But there’s no way we went into this season with the intention of avoiding relegation/finishing mid table. Anyone who’s followed LOI football for the last number of years know we signed some very good LOI established players. Not to mention the likes of Aborah, Duffus, Vigouroux coming in. I’ve supported the club the last couple of years and this is like dreamland, but I worry for the future of the club if we can’t ger Europe this season. Power wants to see immediate results as that’s the only way you can make any money, and failure to get Europe could potentially lead to budget cuts or even worse next season. Might sound dramatic now but it’s the reality of LOI football for a owner like him. Let’s hope we get there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

WFC1930 wrote: »
    How did he? The target was European football at the end of the season. We have had a great season and a very bad run of form doesn’t spoil that, we are probably where we should be, we probably have the 4th best side in the league when you compare to other LOI teams. But there’s no way we went into this season with the intention of avoiding relegation/finishing mid table. Anyone who’s followed LOI football for the last number of years know we signed some very good LOI established players. Not to mention the likes of Aborah, Duffus, Vigouroux coming in. I’ve supported the club the last couple of years and this is like dreamland, but I worry for the future of the club if we can’t ger Europe this season. Power wants to see immediate results as that’s the only way you can make any money, and failure to get Europe could potentially lead to budget cuts or even worse next season. Might sound dramatic now but it’s the reality of LOI football for a owner like him. Let’s hope we get there!!

Spot on.

Is it also true the Power is only committed to 3 years at the club financially and then wants it to be self sufficient?

If true, getting to Europe is essential every season. The club would find it very difficult to survive with domestic football alone. Just look at the last few weeks with no home game in nearly 5 weeks. That must have put some strain on the finances

Getting knocked out of the cup didn’t help either

A 3 year plan doesnt mean he will spend the money next season like he done this season and for us to kick the club needs a new manager and some fresh players. He is a succesful business man so he will of course have a plan and i agree with the idea of being ahead of schedule but my point is this, after such an investment and a great first half of the season, the club should in no way be in the position it is in now. 3rd place and European football was ours but it was thrown away due to (imo) poor managment. I know we could still get European football but it is out of our hands now when in reality it shouldn't be.

How did he? The target was European football at the end of the season.

Genuine question: is there a source (article or anything) for this, or is it speculation from fan sites?

• Advertisement

I know we could still get European football but it is out of our hands now when in reality it shouldn't be.

It's absolutely still in our hands; win every game and we come third.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I think the likes of Power could see that a club like Waterford could be got for pretty small money - basically pay off the debts the club have and its yours.

If he can get the club into European qualifiers the prize money pays for wages of better players and supporting the club staying full time.

If the club does that, he's more likely to be in a position to have players in Waterford who can make the step up to go to an English club, potentially Swindon or maybe the Championship.

He also has a place that Swindon players can be sent on loan to get competitive football.

They may also be hoping that the LOI can eventually strike up a bigger international TV rights deal.

I'd say he'd give it 3-5 years to see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

noby wrote: »
    Genuine question: is there a source (article or anything) for this, or is it speculation from fan sites?

He did say in his speech at the trophy presentation last season that the aim for the coming season was European qualification. Not sure how much of that was fuelled by emotion though...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

gscully wrote: »
    He did say in his speech at the trophy presentation last season that the aim for the coming season was European qualification. Not sure how much of that was fuelled by emotion though...

I was emotional g-man.

Lee Power told me himself.

noby wrote: »
    It's absolutely still in our hands; win every game and we come third.

No its not. Rovers are two points ahead of us, both played 31 games which makes it in Rovers hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

No its not. Rovers are two points ahead of us, both played 31 games which makes it in Rovers hands.

Either team can win all their games and finish third, it’s in both teams hands.

Either team can win all their games and finish third, it’s in both teams hands.

We both have fairly similiar run ins, our tough games are going to be against, Bohs, Dundalk, Rovers. The Rovers game is up in Tallaght and that is why i say it is in their hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

We both have fairly similiar run ins, our tough games are going to be against, Bohs, Dundalk, Rovers. The Rovers game is up in Tallaght and that is why i say it is in their hands.

I don’t think you know what in their own hands means. If it is possible for you to achieve something without needing other teams to drop points, it’s in your own hands.

Are Rovers favourites to come third? Absolutely.
    Is it in Waterford’s hands also? 100%

• Advertisement

I don’t think you know what in their own hands means. If it is possible for you to achieve something without needing other teams to drop points, it’s in your own hands.

Are Rovers favourites to come third? Absolutely.
    Is it in Waterford’s hands also? 100%

I do my friend i surely do. Advantage is with Rovers my friend so it is in their hands, for the moment.

Advertisement