Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford FC Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Won 1 nil, massive 3 points. Pressure now onto shams. Fantastic goal from Puri with Hunt doing exceptionally well with the assist. Ref was garbage absolute garbage, glad it didn't matter in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

alta stare wrote: »
    I do my friend i surely do. Advantage is with Rovers my friend so it is in their hands, for the moment.

If we win our last 4 games we finish 3rd as we play Rovers in those games meaning we would finish a point above them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Good to get the points, poor enough football, pity no away fans really.Hopefully locals will be out in force for dundalk game, they pretty much are the champions so it's a big test, we need the points, they probably don't at this stage. Agree with comments about ref, not surprised the stretcher was out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

WFC1930 wrote: »
    How did he? The target was European football at the end of the season. We have had a great season and a very bad run of form doesn’t spoil that, we are probably where we should be, we probably have the 4th best side in the league when you compare to other LOI teams. But there’s no way we went into this season with the intention of avoiding relegation/finishing mid table. Anyone who’s followed LOI football for the last number of years know we signed some very good LOI established players. Not to mention the likes of Aborah, Duffus, Vigouroux coming in. I’ve supported the club the last couple of years and this is like dreamland, but I worry for the future of the club if we can’t ger Europe this season. Power wants to see immediate results as that’s the only way you can make any money, and failure to get Europe could potentially lead to budget cuts or even worse next season. Might sound dramatic now but it’s the reality of LOI football for a owner like him. Let’s hope we get there!!
    jimbojazz wrote: »
    Spot on.

Is it also true the Power is only committed to 3 years at the club financially and then wants it to be self sufficient?

If true, getting to Europe is essential every season. The club would find it very difficult to survive with domestic football alone. Just look at the last few weeks with no home game in nearly 5 weeks. That must have put some strain on the finances

Getting knocked out of the cup didn’t help either

The guy is a fantasist if this is how he sees club ownership and dangerous as well if this is why he is in it. A fly by night is always going to damage a club even if Europa League qualification stages are reached and navigated for a round or two - they sure won't get any further.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Nice to get the 3pts and some interesting ties tomorrow Derry vs Rovers and St Pats vs Bohs. A Rovers loss and a draw would be perfect but would also welcome 2 draws but all these teams bar Derry are in great form atm

We have next weekend off as it's the cup semi finals which sadly we were so close too. We really want a Dundalk vs Cork City final as that means 4th place will get a European spot. If UCD or Bohs win the cup than even in 4th place we won't get the European spot

Main thing for us is too keep winning and feck everyone elses results. Only 4 games left with us travelling to Bohs in 2 weeks than home too Dundalk (who might send down a 2nd team if they have the league won by then) on the 12th Oct, Rovers away on the 19th and home too Limerick on the 26th Oct to end the season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

The guy is a fantasist if this is how he sees club ownership and dangerous as well if this is why he is in it. A fly by night is always going to damage a club even if Europa League qualification stages are reached and navigated for a round or two - they sure won't get any further.

The money for qualifying alone is fairly substantial, and I’d be fairly sure a nice chunk of that would go directly to him.

I heard last night that the Cork City players received zero bonus from the money the club received for Europe and things are not good there between club and players at the moment, clearly reflected in the current loss of form.

Let’s hope the same doesn’t happen if we qualify

jimbojazz wrote: »
    The money for qualifying alone is fairly substantial, and I’d be fairly sure a nice chunk of that would go directly to him.

I heard last night that the Cork City players received zero bonus from the money the club received for Europe and things are not good there between club and players at the moment, clearly reflected in the current loss of form.

Let’s hope the same doesn’t happen if we qualify

If the cork players received no bonus and if the Waterford players receive no bonus it's because that's what's in the contract they've signed. They can have zero complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

If the cork players received no bonus and if the Waterford players receive no bonus it's because that's what's in the contract they've signed. They can have zero complaints.

True, but it’s upset the apple cart for the Cork players

Let’s hope they get back on track before they play Rovers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

cococoady wrote: »
    If we win our last 4 games we finish 3rd as we play Rovers in those games meaning we would finish a point above them.

Yes i know that but given we have Rovers in Tallaght and they are playing well it is advantage Rovers so therefore imo it is in their hands.

Waterfords run in

Bohs A
    Dundalk H
    Rovers A
    Limerick H

Rovers run in

Cork H
    Pats A
    Waterford H
    Sligo A

In their last 10 league games Waterford have won 4 lost 4 drawn 2.

In their last 10 league game Rovers have won 8 lost 1 drawn 1.

Rovers are a team in form. Waterford unfortunately lost their way. Irrespective of that can we get 3rd of course we can, is it advantage Rovers of course it is. This is due to the many factors including form, confidence, fixtures, not all of it boils down to the simple mathmatics some of ye are looking at.

Rovers play Derry this evening, a team who have not got the better of them this season so lets hope they do today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Look, I don't want to dwell on it, but the phrase 'it's in our own hands' always refers to pure maths.
    Now you are right, Rovers are in better form, and possibly still fav for third.

Us winning last night might put a little more pressure on tonight's match for them.

We just have to keep going. Rovers still have one implosion in them, I hope.
    Bohs are flying, which isn't good for us.
    When we play Dundalk will we be playing the Champions who have spent a week celebrating, or champions who will play with no fear?

Ultimately it might come down to the game in Tallaght being like a cup final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

Max Powers wrote: »
    Good to get the points, poor enough football, pity no away fans really.Hopefully locals will be out in force for dundalk game, they pretty much are the champions so it's a big test, we need the points, they probably don't at this stage. Agree with comments about ref, not surprised the stretcher was out.
    As bad a display of refereeing as you're likely to see. Sligo were a dirty team - I'd love to see the foul count in the game. Most of their first half fouls weren't too serious but they were constant and he needed to dish out a card or two early on to send a message or at least tell the Sligo captain to tell his players to tone it down a bit.

The lad who got stretchered off, obviously I hope it's nothing too serious, I wouldn't wish an injury on any player. But he was a mouthy trouble maker all evening.

noby wrote: »
    Look, I don't want to dwell on it, but the phrase 'it's in our own hands' always refers to pure maths.
    Now you are right, Rovers are in better form, and possibly still fav for third.

Us winning last night might put a little more pressure on tonight's match for them.

We just have to keep going. Rovers still have one implosion in them, I hope.
    Bohs are flying, which isn't good for us.
    When we play Dundalk will we be playing the Champions who have spent a week celebrating, or champions who will play with no fear?

Ultimately it might come down to the game in Tallaght being like a cup final.

I agree yes it is usually just about the maths but it is inaccurate. Its like the league title. Mathematically Cork could still win it but realistically they wont... Too many factors at play.

A defeat for Rovers tonight puts them under pressure...mentally, which is huge for us.

You are spot on about Bohs, they are on a high which i reckon makes them a banana skin in our run in.

I hope the managment have the players fired up for this and that they arent just waging their bets on a Cork Dundalk cup final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

I agree yes it is usually just about the maths but it is inaccurate. Its like the league title. Mathematically Cork could still win it but realistically they wont... Too many factors at play.

A defeat for Rovers tonight puts them under pressure...mentally, which is huge for us.

You are spot on about Bohs, they are on a high which i reckon makes them a banana skin in our run in.

I hope the managment have the players fired up for this and that they arent just waging their bets on a Cork Dundalk cup final.

You really don’t get it do you. It’s nothing like Cork winning the league. Cork could win all their games and be nowhere near Dundalk. If Waterford win all their games, they’re guaranteed to finish third, that is a fact.

It is in their own hands, fact.

You really don’t get it do you. It’s nothing like Cork winning the league. Cork could win all their games and be nowhere near Dundalk. If Waterford win all their games, they’re guaranteed to finish third, that is a fact.

It is in their own hands, fact.

Why isnt it??? Mathematically Cork can still win the league but they wont due to other factors.

Waterford can of course secure 3rd by winning all their games but given the other factors i mentioned they could also loose out. Given the facts i also mentioned it would favour Rovers at this point in time so therefore it is in their hands. You really dont get it do you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Why isnt it??? Mathematically Cork can still win the league but they wont due to other factors.

Waterford can of course secure 3rd by winning all their games but given the other factors i mentioned they could also loose out. Given the facts i also mentioned it would favour Rovers at this point in time so therefore it is in their hands. You really dont get it do you.

I give up pal, you’re a lost cause.

Good luck.

We do need new blood for 2019

Duffus is only on loan and is not sticking around
    Heard Noel Hunt is going too
    Izzy and Hery only here for next season

Lads give it a rest ffs. Nobody cares at this stage.

Good luck.

Thanks friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Good luck.

You gave it a good go. I found myself getting frustrated reading his/her posts. Maybe you’re being trolled or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Good result last night and great that 3 rd spot is still in there own hands.

• Advertisement

debok wrote: »
    Good result last night and great that 3 rd spot is still in there own hands.

Christ here we go again

PTH2009 wrote: »
    We do need new blood for 2019

Yes, I'm sure, but let's get through this season first.

Rovers win 1-0 away to Derry to move back into 3rd place

Atm Bohs 2-1 against St Pats. If it stays like this both Bohs and Pats are 9 points behind us

Finished 3-1 to Bohs

3rd- Rovers (55pts)
    4th- us (53pts)
    5th- Bohs (43pts)
    6th- St Pats (43pts)

Next day out a win for us over Bohs and St Pats loses than we have 4th and possibly Euroope confirmed ??

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Deiselurker

Fai Cup semi-finals next weekend so if Dundalk and Cork City win 4th place will get Europe. Bohs could beat Cork City on current form though. Can't see us finishing lower than 4th at this stage with a 10 point lead over Bohs and Pats with 4 games to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Fai Cup semi-finals next weekend so if Dundalk and Cork City win 4th place will get Europe. Bohs could beat Cork City on current form though. Can't see us finishing lower than 4th at this stage with a 10 point lead over Bohs and Pats with 4 games to play.

It does seem unlikely ...... barring a complete collapse and great results from those behind.
    Whether fourth or 3rd would be an excellent season's result.
    Much better than I, and most others expected, I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭liogairmhordain

If Dundalk beat Bohs in the cup final and we finish 4th in the league, who gets the European place?
    Is there anywhere official where it is confirmed one way or the other?

If Dundalk beat Bohs in the cup final and we finish 4th in the league, who gets the European place?
    Is there anywhere official where it is confirmed one way or the other?

4th place. If the cup winners are already in Europe the European spot goes to the league, not the cup runners-up.

going to be fairly nerve wrecking watching the cup semi finals, even though were not in them (we easily could of been but played **** in the qf) it could define our Euro hopes. Dundalk should beat UCD but we siad the same thing and we knw how that ended. ATM Cork are in horrible form and Bohs are in outstanding form and play at home

Have a feeling the nerves will go til cup final day for us Dundalk vs Bohs cup final with all of Waterford shouting on Dundalk

What would be a ****ing disaster is a UCD vs Bohs cup final or more importanly we finish 5th and the cup final/winners mean nothing for us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭WFC1930

If Dundalk and Cork reach the final our game against Bohs could be the game we secure European football. A win would ensure fourth spot which in the event of a fourth successive Cork/Dundalk final obviously secures Europe. And a draw and a Pats loss (who go to Dundalk who’ll probably be looking to wrap up the league) would also get it.

If I’m honest though I think Bohs will get to the final unless Cork do something big which on current form looks unlikely. 9 in a row in all comps for Bohs.

Advertisement