Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford FC Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Great to see the Blues pulling away at top, lovely day out in the sun Friday night too.
    Re new shirt sponsor, maybe from where they were last year, beggars can't be choosers...but Jesus wept; not another online bookies sponsoring a football team. I know I'm going to sound po-faced but can't they get sponsors that don't encourage vice? If it's not ciggies(banned), it's alcohol brands or fast(fat) food outlets, now online gambling - the silent unseen scourge. Loads of youngsters going to the matches, which is great, and the youngfella wants to get a Blues jersey but do I really want to see him walking around advertising frigging 21bet??

Agree with sentiment but what you gonna do, stop kids watching football on sky as well because all the ads are for gambling.big addiction problem coming down the tracks probably.clearly targeting young lads, all the ads have marketed gambling as great fun way for young men to spend their time/money, its all a big laugh, down the pub, few pints, etc. targeting women too as they're expanding their customer base.
    I'm glad they have a sponsor at the end of day, people and parents need to realise the dangers, just like booze ads.

1:1 away to shels at weekend, leading for nearly all the game so slightly gutting for players, its a decent result all the same.
    Anyway, home this Friday against wexford, hopefully we can get numbers up again, football is good, atmosphere is good, the burgers are awful ;-)
    You may have seen headlines about another club in trouble,bray wanderers..not getting the people thru turnstiles, we here can have premier football next season and go beyond that even..support needed though.

ADD...
    U17s beat shamrock rovers today five one, top of league, club is more than the team we go and see, I'd say, availability of Waterford FC is even more important in context that it is the structure for kids in the region,u17,u19 and u15 soon i think...vital for the next John osheas,daryl Murphy's, hunts, etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Great win coming from behind the other night against Wexford. Blues now opened up a six point lead at the top over UCD and Cobh. Away to Longford on Saturday which could be a tricky game. Both Cobh and UCD play each other this weekend so hopefully the blues can make the gap even greater.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

What's the story with Kenny McEvoy leaving?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

What's the story with Kenny McEvoy leaving?

He's taking up full time employment back in the UK, that was always his intention to come home for 6 months and see what would happen but things didn't turn out as planned. His wife is from the UK and with a new born baby when them moved back, it was always only going to be temporary

• Advertisement

First v second again tomorrow night, blues v cobh, hopefully big crowd, potential to go 9 points clear tomorrow night or cut to 3 points, massive.not long left in league now,I think only 4 more home games and not as many away left after Friday.

What a result,cobh must have been sickened and to be honest, its probably not a true reflection of the match, Derek Daly showed a couple of flashes of absolute genius.they were all very good though.
    Biggest shout out has to go to one step beyond fan in main stand, had to be there.

Athlone Friday, at home again.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Bluezar

Max Powers wrote: »
    What a result,cobh must have been sickened and to be honest, its probably not a true reflection of the match, Derek Daly showed a couple of flashes of absolute genius.they were all very good though.
    Biggest shout out has to go to one step beyond fan in main stand, had to be there.

Athlone Friday, at home again.

That was me :) Glad you enjoyed it!

Blues have just announced Paddy Barrett ( a local lad) has signed on loan from Dundalk until the end of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,590 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I guess the Fai Cup is not a priority this season, beaten 3-0 at home by a 10 man Shelbourne

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

PTH2009 wrote: »
    I guess the Fai Cup is not a priority this season, beaten 3-0 at home by a 10 man Shelbourne

And it shouldn't have been a priority!

Promotion was and should have been the only target this year and we're almost there.

Promotion was and should have been the only target this year and we're almost there.[/QUOTE]

yeah thats good too see but we cant get complacent and miss out on Automatic promotion and the title but we have a very very good chance. Hopefully Cobh and UCD will drop a few points in the last few games. Would not be an attender of games but good too hear the crowds are rising and will rise again when the bigger teams play here in 2018 hopefully

remaining games
    Fri 18th Aug- UCD (H)
    Fri 01 Sep- Shelbourne (H)
    Fri 15 Sep- Wexford (A)
    Fri 22 Sep- Longford Town (H)
    Sat 07 Sep- Cobh (A)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Promotion was and should have been the only target this year and we're almost there.[/QUOTE]

yeah thats good too see but we cant get complacent and miss out on Automatic promotion and the title but we have a very very good chance. Hopefully Cobh and UCD will drop a few points in the last few games. Would not be an attender of games but good too hear the crowds are rising and will rise again when the bigger teams play here in 2018 hopefully

remaining games
    Fri 18th Aug- UCD (H)
    Fri 01 Sep- Shelbourne (H)
    Fri 15 Sep- Wexford (A)
    Fri 22 Sep- Longford Town (H)
    Sat 07 Sep- Cobh (A)

I'll try to get down for the UCD game but it will be a tough run in but hopefully
    it will be in the bag before we travel to Cobh!

How many teams are being relegated from the premier??

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭MentalMario

How many teams are being relegated from the premier??

3 down, 1 up this year so it's vital The Blues get up.

Surprised we didn't get a few more from Swindon this window.

Tom Smith was a mile ahead of everybody else when he was here. Super talent.

v UCD tonight, plus it's a family fun event so ideal to bring kids too, seems like they will have good bit of kid friendly stuff on.

very good win last night

someone was saying to me today that Waterford FC will be in Fifa 19 if (when) we get promoted to the PD ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

very good win last night

someone was saying to me today that Waterford FC will be in Fifa 19 if (when) we get promoted to the PD ?

They have been in FIFA before.

Yes, Waterford have been in it before and will be in it if they are promoted. Battling one nil victory last night, three points in the bag is all that matters at this stage. Pity Cobh beat shels with a goal totally against the run of play last night but so be it. Massive game now against shels in two weeks. Hopefully Waterford people will get off their arses and get down and make it a fantastic atmosphere for our local club.

Yes, Waterford have been in it before and will be in it if they are promoted. Battling one nil victory last night, three points in the bag is all that matters at this stage. Pity Cobh beat shels with a goal totally against the run of play last night but so be it. Massive game now against shels in two weeks. Hopefully Waterford people will get off their arses and get down and make it a fantastic atmosphere for our local club.

Sep 1st Shelbourne at home the start of a massive weekend for sport in Waterford with the Hurling final been on the sunday 3rd and then Ireland playing Georgia the 2nd in the Qualifers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Not only that, on Sat 2nd and Mon 4th, Ireland u19s will play two friendlies against the Czech Republic. Local lad and Man Utd u18 player Lee O'Connor should feature.

Best of luck to the team tonight vs Shelbourne. A win for us and Athlone beat or draw with Cobh will wrap up the title for us with only 3 games remaining after tonight

Down 1-0 at HT and missed a penalty in the opening few mins

Hopefully they get a good talking too and come out flying for the 2nd Half

Finished 1-1 but Cobh got a late winner in Athlone

We're top with 53pts and a sizable goal difference and Cobh are 2nd with 48pts. 3 games remaining with Cobh vs Waterford on the last day

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

I went to the game on Friday night. First time I've been to a game in twenty years or so! I enjoyed it and it won't be twenty years before I go back!

Without wanting to be critical, having a running track around the pitch does take away from it all. It means that spectators are a long way away from the pitch even if they're in the front row of the stand. Is there any prospect of a move to a pitch without a running track around it?

I know that's probably unlikely and I know that it's a really decent pitch surface and with good capacity in the stands. But still, it would be great to be sitting a little closer to the action.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

I went to the game on Friday night. First time I've been to a game in twenty years or so! I enjoyed it and it won't be twenty years before I go back!

Without wanting to be critical, having a running track around the pitch does take away from it all. It means that spectators are a long way away from the pitch even if they're in the front row of the stand. Is there any prospect of a move to a pitch without a running track around it?

I know that's probably unlikely and I know that it's a really decent pitch surface and with good capacity in the stands. But still, it would be great to be sitting a little closer to the action.

Welcome back, I was the same at the start of the season, but haven't missed a home game and have got to most of the aways. It definitely is getting nervy now, Friday was 2 points dropped, and we can't afford any more slip-ups, but 4 points should do it given our better goal difference.

Now that the all Ireland is out of the way I'd love to see the city and county get behind the team and fill the RSC for the Longford game and put the disappointment of yesterday to the side. We are after all one city, one county and The Blues need the support of everyone for this vital game

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

jimbojazz wrote: »
    Welcome back, I was the same at the start of the season, but haven't missed a home game and have got to most of the aways. It definitely is getting nervy now, Friday was 2 points dropped, and we can't afford any more slip-ups, but 4 points should do it given our better goal difference.

Now that the all Ireland is out of the way I'd love to see the city and county get behind the team and fill the RSC for the Longford game and put the disappointment of yesterday to the side. We are after all one city, one county and The Blues need the support of everyone for this vital game

To be honest, in GAA terms, I'm black and amber, but I'm quite happy to follow the Blues - my view is that soccer isn't quite as tied to county and those of us from outside Waterford can follow the Blues too(I hope;)).

They came very close to getting a winner, though they were a tiny bit lucky with the goal they got - some refs would have given a free out for it - any touch on a 'keeper is enough for some refs. As for promotion, I'd still back them for it, though you'd hope that they won't be going to Cobh looking for a result on the last day. Until then, it's squeaky bum time for the Blues:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

To be honest, in GAA terms, I'm black and amber, but I'm quite happy to follow the Blues - my view is that soccer isn't quite as tied to county and those of us from outside Waterford can follow the Blues too(I hope;)).

They came very close to getting a winner, though they were a tiny bit lucky with the goal they got - some refs would have given a free out for it - any touch on a 'keeper is enough for some refs. As for promotion, I'd still back them for it, though you'd hope that they won't be going to Cobh looking for a result on the last day. Until then, it's squeaky bum time for the Blues:D.

You're dead right, forgot we had traditionally a fair bit of support in Kilkenny, Wexford and Dublin. Yeah squeaky bum time is right, definitely don't want to leave it until the Cobh game - they have a tough enough run in though - Cabinteely at home and UCD away and us, so not a given they'll get all 9 points either.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

Any truth to the rumour that Waterford FC have bought the Yellow House pub and will turn it into a clubhouse/pub type premises?

• Advertisement

Heard a few things......he has bought it and will open it as a members bar.
    He has bought it and will open it for next season if they get promoted.
    He has applied for planning permission to build a clubhouse bar in the RSC and this will be used until it's built.
    Heard there is no truth to any of these also so take your pick and believe what you want!

Advertisement