Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford FC Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Noel Hunt is gone to be assistant manager for Swindon Town. Great servant for this short time over here and best of luck to him

Really need to sign a few decent players esp Defenders and forwards

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭WFC1930

Honestly very worried right now, this time last year we had Hery Izzy and Webster signed up.. all decent loi players with the exception of Bastien who is superb.. but this year we’ve had little to no action and strong rumours of discontent about having a slimmer budget.. I heard Rennie wanted one or two in cork and had it all but sewn up but Power said no.. meanwhile Holohan, Keegan and Aborah are just but a few rumored to be joning Webster out the exit door.. worryling Sligo and Pats seem to be putting together very strong sides so we will have much more competition. Again all rumours but worrying all the same..

Silly season!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

WFC1930 wrote: »
    Honestly very worried right now, this time last year we had Hery Izzy and Webster signed up.. all decent loi players with the exception of Bastien who is superb.. but this year we’ve had little to no action and strong rumours of discontent about having a slimmer budget.. I heard Rennie wanted one or two in cork and had it all but sewn up but Power said no.. meanwhile Holohan, Keegan and Aborah are just but a few rumored to be joning Webster out the exit door.. worryling Sligo and Pats seem to be putting together very strong sides so we will have much more competition. Again all rumours but worrying all the same..

Silly season!

Rennie too busy hob knobing with the FAI to sign players

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Silly season!

Not rumours from what I’ve heard from a member of the playing staff

jimbojazz wrote: »
    Not rumours from what I’ve heard from a member of the playing staff

You mean that in the sense I am correct or vice-versa?

As I said I genuinely don’t know it’s just what I hear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

i thought after the limerick game Power was sitting down with Rennie with a healthy budget for next season ???

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

You mean that in the sense I am correct or vice-versa?

As I said I genuinely don’t know it’s just what I hear

From what I heard, you're fairly spot one.

I've also heard other stuff but I'm not going to put it up on this.

Just wait and see, but the lack of signings and the outgoings says enough at this stage.

One of the reasons given was the poor attendances, and the fact we were away for nearly 8 weeks had a big knock-on effect.

Reynolds also being linked with the no 2 job for the U21's

jimbojazz wrote: »
    From what I heard, you're fairly spot one.

I've also heard other stuff but I'm not going to put it up on this.

Just wait and see, but the lack of signings and the outgoings says enough at this stage.

One of the reasons given was the poor attendances, and the fact we were away for nearly 8 weeks had a big knock-on effect.

Reynolds also being linked with the no 2 job for the U21's

You’d think that considering our league status we’d be able to muster up more than 1800 a week.. our home support is poor and would be the reason for a small budget

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

the greatest fans in the league only getting 1800 at home games tut tut. will be renewing my season myself and the young lads but a lot of rumblings coming from the camp. 1 heard one rumour of budgets not being agreed for next season and another about players wages being halved and still asking them to remain full time. i wonder will the greatest fans in the league be signing " Lee Power had a dream" next season.

Gardner wrote: »
    the greatest fans in the league only getting 1800 at home games tut tut. will renewing my season myself and the young lads but a lot of rumblings coming from the camp. 1 heard one rumour of budgets not being agreed for next season and another about players wages being halved and still asking them to remain full time. i wonder will the greatest fans in the league be signing " Lee Power had a dream" next season.
    ah you’ve always been a good lad to try twist something negative on the fans who actually attend!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I suppose Power will be looking at Swindon who have an average attendance of over 6,000 and their lowest attendance last year was about 1,200, albeit in a city about 3-4 times the size of Waterford.

It appears as though every club should be looking at Bohs, who've done really good work in their local community to make it a community club and to enhance the matchday experience as much as they can. Whenever Dalymount gets redeveloped, they'll be in good shape for the future.

I don't know what work Waterford are doing in local schools etc., or to try and get supports from county Waterford (and maybe even Kilkenny) to come down and watch games.

I also see that Cork have a link with UCC - does anyone know if Waterford have that with WIT? The volume of kids going to England without any education and coming home with nothing is a travesty.

If clubs like Waterford could keep lads, even for a year or two after school, get them some education while developing their game and helping to develop them as young adults, you'd imagine it'd be a win-win for all concerned.

hardybuck wrote: »
    I suppose Power will be looking at Swindon who have an average attendance of over 6,000 and their lowest attendance last year was about 1,200, albeit in a city about 3-4 times the size of Waterford.

It appears as though every club should be looking at Bohs, who've done really good work in their local community to make it a community club and to enhance the matchday experience as much as they can. Whenever Dalymount gets redeveloped, they'll be in good shape for the future.

I don't know what work Waterford are doing in local schools etc., or to try and get supports from county Waterford (and maybe even Kilkenny) to come down and watch games.

I also see that Cork have a link with UCC - does anyone know if Waterford have that with WIT? The volume of kids going to England without any education and coming home with nothing is a travesty.

If clubs like Waterford could keep lads, even for a year or two after school, get them some education while developing their game and helping to develop them as young adults, you'd imagine it'd be a win-win for all concerned.

Waterford have some links with WIT but not sure to what extent.

Also valid point about Swindons attendance but you know there paying much bigger wages. it was well documented Vigs was on 4K alone. But I think with how we done last season we should of been getting 2.5k a week for games. When you consider how we were around 3.5 for Cork and Dundalk. Obviously a bigger crowd comes for bigger games but a loss in around half that crowd should not happen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Waterford have some links with WIT but not sure to what extent.

They do, some sort of scholarship thing, think two players on it, one of the martins is on it if recall.
    WIT also have some sort of training/exercise arrangement in carriganore I think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

But I think with how we done last season we should of been getting 2.5k a week for games. When you consider how we were around 3.5 for Cork and Dundalk. Obviously a bigger crowd comes for bigger games but a loss in around half that crowd should not happen

I'm sure there are lots of factors that influence attendance, and I reckon there's always a drop off in mid summer. I wonder does the good weather work against it, so many other things on of a Friday evening for young families.

1800 might be lower than what was hoped for, but it's a solid base to build on.

ah you’ve always been a good lad to try twist something negative on the fans who actually attend!

what is negative?

Gardner wrote: »
    what is negative?

You

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Where is this 1800 figure coming from? I went to every game last season and I'm sure we only dropped below 2000 a couple of times, mostly when we played teams like Limerick and Bray who brought no away fans. I'm open to correction on this as I'm not 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

You

As was said before, he's a troll and is best left alone and ignored.

Where is this 1800 figure coming from? I went to every game last season and I'm sure we only dropped below 2000 a couple of times, mostly when we played teams like Limerick and Bray who brought no away fans. I'm open to correction on this as I'm not 100%.
    Pretty much every game during the summer and beyond was around the figure bar one or two games. There was like 1600 for Sligo. It would be actually interesting to see if its possible to see our attendances game by game somewhere, extra time might have them.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

WFC1930 wrote:
    Pretty much every game during the summer and beyond was around the figure bar one or two games. There was like 1600 for Sligo. It would be actually interesting to see if its possible to see our attendances game by game somewhere, extra time might have them.
    After 11 of the 18 home games in the league the average was 2402 . It dropped down after this to an average 1850 . Season total attendance was just under 40 thoidsnd divided by 18 matches giving average of about 2200 per match .

Can anyone involved in the Schoolboy leagues or junior leagues with their clubs advise if WFC engage with them in any meaningful way?

The way I'd look at it, WFC should be an outlet for those who want to play or watch LOI football in the area, and that's where I think the LOI is falling down generally - there doesn't appear to be any link between the local clubs and the professional teams in the league.

Local rugby clubs definitely suffered when the game went professional, but all are very proud of those who go on to play for their province, and every kid will dream at playing at the highest level. They know that if the game is strong nationally or in the province, then more kids will play the game and generally it's good for everyone.

The provinces will still bring in talent, but the teams are fundamentally built upon players from the area - which is one of the reasons why Irish rugby is so strong. You can say the same for the GAA - lads will go to any length to play for their county.

It should be an honour for a club like Tramore to have a manager and players stepping up from their club to play for WFC. Obviously lads will dream to play for Liverpool or Man City first, but that's not realistic for 99% of kids.

Would the WFC ever engage with the locals or in local schools in places like Tramore, or Dungarvan, Dunmore East etc. to whip up support?

Can anyone involved in the Schoolboy leagues or junior leagues with their clubs advise if WFC engage with them in any meaningful way?

The way I'd look at it, WFC should be an outlet for those who want to play or watch LOI football in the area, and that's where I think the LOI is falling down generally - there doesn't appear to be any link between the local clubs and the professional teams in the league.

Local rugby clubs definitely suffered when the game went professional, but all are very proud of those who go on to play for their province, and every kid will dream at playing at the highest level. They know that if the game is strong nationally or in the province, then more kids will play the game and generally it's good for everyone.

The provinces will still bring in talent, but the teams are fundamentally built upon players from the area - which is one of the reasons why Irish rugby is so strong. You can say the same for the GAA - lads will go to any length to play for their county.

It should be an honour for a club like Tramore to have a manager and players stepping up from their club to play for WFC. Obviously lads will dream to play for Liverpool or Man City first, but that's not realistic for 99% of kids.

Would the WFC ever engage with the locals or in local schools in places like Tramore, or Dungarvan, Dunmore East etc. to whip up support?

great post but if i responded i'd be called negative....

I was under the impression they do, best players go to blues for under, 15, 17, 19...an obvious issue there with what happens at 14, 16, 18, level, if I was a talented player playing with my mates, would I want to go to blues under 17 for one season, leave my club pals, then come back because probably not good enough to skip straight from u17 to 19...it's not ideal, money not there for clubs to put in those missing under age divisions, any club I'd guess doesn't have the money, as it is blues supporters paying for underage transport. Not ideal in all is it.
    Totally agree with you hardy buck, should be case that honor to step up to blues, I think historically there was some mis trust there between both, you just hope that has changed/changing.

Max Powers wrote: »
    I was under the impression they do, best players go to blues for under, 15, 17, 19...an obvious issue there with what happens at 14, 16, 18, level, if I was a talented player playing with my mates, would I want to go to blues under 17 for one season, leave my club pals, then come back because probably not good enough to skip straight from u17 to 19...it's not ideal, money not there for clubs to put in those missing under age divisions, any club I'd guess doesn't have the money, as it is blues supporters paying for underage transport. Not ideal in all is it.
    Totally agree with you hardy buck, should be case that honor to step up to blues

So the Schoolboy League squads, which I played for myself during the day, have they been absorbed by WFC or is there now two squads in operation?

The every second year thing is a joke and has been called out in the media.

In other news we are being linked to Jimmy Keohane from Cork. According to an interview with caulfield he might be one of the players leaving Cork after his contract expires this week.

So the Schoolboy League squads, which I played for myself during the day, have they been absorbed by WFC or is there now two squads in operation?

The every second year thing is a joke and has been called out in the media.

Don't know what you mean by absorbed or two squads...yeah, its well known at this stage, its not great agree, I think, can't confirm, the blues might take 2 underage players from whatever clubs to form their squad which plays cork, limerick, wexford, etc. At least the 2 lads will be leaving their club for year together and coming back together if it doesnt work out for them or they are not quite there to jump a age division. I think the idea is alright but it's not implemented as well as it could be, like we said because of missing ages, lack of money, etc.
    Could the FAI be in a position to fund underage more when stadium debt paid off...heard that being mentioned, its a possible, and exactly what the FAI should be doing (coordinating youth football to ensure best players, best trainers, best facilities, consistency, etc)

Max Powers wrote: »
    Don't know what you mean by absorbed or two squads...yeah, its well known at this stage, its not great agree, I think, can't confirm, the blues might take 2 underage players from whatever clubs to form their squad which plays cork, limerick, wexford, etc. At least the 2 lads will be leaving their club for year together and coming back together if it doesnt work out for them or they are not quite there to jump a age division. I think the idea is alright but it's not implemented as well as it could be, like we said because of missing ages, lack of money, etc.
    Could the FAI be in a position to fund underage more when stadium debt paid off...heard that being mentioned, its a possible, and exactly what the FAI should be doing (coordinating youth football to ensure best players, best trainers, best facilities, consistency, etc)

I think the national leagues make a lot of sense, and eventually will pay off. I was wondering if the Waterford Schoolboy League and their peers still had their own teams for lads who don't play in the National League.

Going back to the original thrust of my previous message, are WFC integrated with the clubs and engaged with the community as well as they could or is there room for improvement? Do they have scope to adjust ticket prices so kids under 12 can attend for free etc.?

I think the national leagues make a lot of sense, and eventually will pay off. I was wondering if the Waterford Schoolboy League and their peers still had their own teams for lads who don't play in the National League.

Going back to the original thrust of my previous message, are WFC integrated with the clubs and engaged with the community as well as they could or is there room for improvement? Do they have scope to adjust ticket prices so kids under 12 can attend for free etc.?

Get you now. The school boy leagues have all the divisions while the national clubs have better facilities and coaching probably, probably a need to get rid of one (school boy leagues IMO) and just concentrate on best of SE playing for blues or wexford in all ages from say under 16s up.
    Makes sense to get kids attending matches alright because their parent has to pay, getting kids into supporting local team, etc. I think they have done things like that.if not, they should be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

In other news we are being linked to Jimmy Keohane from Cork. According to an interview with caulfield he might be one of the players leaving Cork after his contract expires this week.

Griffin and Sadlier too. Sadlier potentially joining Swindon, and straight to the Blues on loan.

Here's hoping. :cool:

Advertisement