Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford FC Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

blue-army wrote: »
    Griffin and Sadlier too. Sadlier potentially joining Swindon, and straight to the Blues on loan.

Here's hoping. :cool:

the Sadlier thing has fizzled out. rumours coming from Cork is that either he is staying or looking to head across channel. it would be madness from him to move across channel and then to be loaned back. makes no sense whatsoever. its pipe dreams.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

We need a steady ship with us in Europe next summer and need quality in the squad. Any news about the licence from UEFA ??be a real kick in the stones if they refused us a place in Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭WFC1930

blue-army wrote: »
    Griffin and Sadlier too. Sadlier potentially joining Swindon, and straight to the Blues on loan.

Here's hoping. :cool:

Sadlier would be great but id be amazed if he was in the LOI. He doesn’t get on with Caulfield so won’t be with Cork either. Not sure on Griffin, he seems to be great going forward but suspect defensively. However Rennie might be the guy who would get the most out of a player like that.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    We need a steady ship with us in Europe next summer and need quality in the squad. Any news about the licence from UEFA ??be a real kick in the stones if they refused us a place in Europe

I agree but as I said it’s a bit of a worry with all the rumors going around. I don’t expect any news on the UEFA issue. I don’t think there’s ever been an issue with it other than maybe a few like Kenny Shiels for example trying to wind people up with his comments. I wouldn’t expect any statement from the club.

Shane Duggan has signed from Limerick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

WFC1930 wrote: »
    Shane Duggan has signed from Limerick.

Bit underwhelmed with that signing, four midfielders and a striker so far.

Surely they have a lot of the lads from last year signed up already?

Bit underwhelmed with that signing, four midfielders and a striker so far.

Surely they have a lot of the lads from last year signed up already?

I agree, slightly underwhelming but might be a good squad player, however with him being a player who plays in the pivot it seems to spell the end for Stanley Aborah.

On the guys from last year I have seen Holohan, Aborah, Keegan linked away. I reckon we have guys re-signed but not actually announced for whatever reason

WFC1930 wrote: »
    I agree, slightly underwhelming but might be a good squad player, however with him being a player who plays in the pivot it seems to spell the end for Stanley Aborah.

On the guys from last year I have seen Holohan, Aborah, Keegan linked away. I reckon we have guys re-signed but not actually announced for whatever reason

Can’t be a good thing to have massive squad turnover going into Europe. Would have been forward thinking to sign lads on one year deals last season with the option to extend if we qualified for Europe.

Comerford will be a loss, loved him as a player. Played all across the back four and in midfield for us at times last season.

Can’t be a good thing to have massive squad turnover going into Europe. Would have been forward thinking to sign lads on one year deals last season with the option to extend if we qualified for Europe.

Comerford will be a loss, loved him as a player. Played all across the back four and in midfield for us at times last season.

If you heard Rennie talk at the end of the season he said he needs to get re-signing players quick as it wouldn’t be possible to go into next season without 15/16 players from 2018 with a few new additions. Then the budgets were discussed and it seems like we will have nowhere near that 15-16 figure of players from last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Deiselurker

The club has got schoolboy clubs from some other counties as well as Waterford to come to league games as guests and in 2017 gave some season tickets to local clubs for them to use so they are trying to build support. I thought the crowds were good last year and don't think we had less than 1600 at any game and were some great crowds up to 3500 at likes of Dundalk and Cork home games in first half if season. It was our first season back in Premier for 10 years so wouldn't have expected bigger crowds than that.
    It's a pity that more players haven't been signed up yet for next year as hard to sell season tickets even at the early bird rate when you don't know what squad will be like.

• Advertisement

According to Foot.ie Matt Connor, Feely, Browne, Hutchinson, O'Halloran, Martin, Walsh should re-sign soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Keegan gone to bray

We're losing more than gaining tbh

Really need a move on of sorts. The hysteria after the limerick game has disappeared a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Budget has been cut for next season.

Aborah not being signed back. Will look to sign players from England.

Dessie (who’s rumored to already be signed up) Héry and Lunney is the makings of a good midfield in fairness. I have faith in Rennie to get in the right lads and get them playing well.

Kenny Browne and a younger centre half to go with him and a striker and I think we’re fine.

Important that Matt Connor is re-signed too but I’d expect him to.

read on another forum from a poster who does tell a few fibs to wind fellas up but reading between the lines is that Dessie Hutchinson maybe on the way to Cork. Can't agree terms due to a significant reduced offer from his terms last season. Cork love our utility players it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

You'd think if anything he'd be upping or maintaining the budget, given they've qualified for Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

MD1990 wrote: »
    Budget has been cut for next season.

Aborah not being signed back. Will look to sign players from England.

Not a bad situation if we can get good players coming over from swindon. GOOD players hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

jimbojazz wrote: »
    You'd think if anything he'd be upping or maintaining the budget, given they've qualified for Europe.

Budget is based on lots of things, including forecasted gate receipts and sponsorship, as well as European ties.
    While I'd love you see loads of big name signings, I think sensible, realistic, budgeting is more prudent in the long run.

Gardner wrote: »
    read on another forum from a poster who does tell a few fibs to wind fellas up but reading between the lines is that Dessie Hutchinson maybe on the way to Cork. Can't agree terms due to a significant reduced offer from his terms last season. Cork love our utility players it seems

He's a good successor to Keegan, so hopefully they can keep hold of him.

• Advertisement

I'd like to see Sander Puri stay but i imagine he would be sought after

I'd like to see Sander Puri stay but i imagine he would be sought after

Seen on Facebook he wants to move closer to home. A huge huge loss.

Wouldn’t give up all hope of Aborah being back by the way after listening to Rennie interview with WLR. Sure it might be unlikely but stranger things have happened. Let’s be honest I see people saying we’re losing too many. Who have we lost that have been good enough to stay.

Keegan is past it, legs are gone, cost us points, he was immense until his injury vs Dundalk but the fact he’s signed for Bray tells it’s own tale, bare in mind he probably commands a big wage. A good servant but letting him go is the correct call.

Daly is gone. Injuries also hurt him but I’m not sure if he is Premier standard, lightweight. Maybe in the future he will be Prem standard but right now he didn’t warrant a new contract.

Webster left, too headless to be a defender who could be consistent enough, a good player and servant but has many imperfections, we can improve upon him. He also cost us many points.

Corbet is gone, Good keeper not a huge loss though and we need a first choice and Matt probably has much more potential to improve. And he’s local which makes it easier to agree terms with him.

Comerford I would’ve kept but again he’s hardly irreplaceable. People forget he wasn’t even our first choice left-back, the posistion he was meant to play last season. He obviously filled a gap at centre back last season at times but he wasn’t great there and if we signed properly in the winter and summer without spending stupid wages on fellas who weren’t worth it (Rode, Baba etc) he would’ve never played there.

Okay Hunt is a loss but he was always most likely going to go.

We will miss Sander hugely if he does leave also.

We might have some stuff to worry about as fans right now but the players who have left (as of now) isn’t one of them!

Hard to disagree with any of that.
    Of them, Webster had a few high profile lapses, but I think when he's focused and on form he had a great partnership with Fletch.

I always assumed Aborah would be gone, but maybe he'll surprise me and stay.

going through the limerick programme from last Oct the following are now gone from the squad

Garry Comerford- Cork City
    Paul Keegan- Bray
    Courtney Duffus- Oldhem (was only on loan)
    Noel Hunt- Swindon (Assistant Manager role)
    Dylan Barnett- Bray

prob others too

we have signed a few players but really need more esp being in Europe next season

2019 could end up a disaster if things start bad

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

going through the limerick programme from last Oct the following are now gone from the squad

Garry Comerford- Cork City
    Paul Keegan- Bray
    Courtney Duffus- Oldhem (was only on loan)
    Noel Hunt- Swindon (Assistant Manager role)
    Dylan Barnett- Bray

prob others too

we have signed a few players but really need more esp being in Europe next season

2019 could end up a disaster if things start bad

I wouldn't get too concerned. The European qualification might only be two games, max four maybe, but the money will be welcome.

I don't think anyone will be too worried about the departures to date, but you would hope a number of quality signings will follow. A striker would seem to be a key priority.

Mikey Drennan would have been an ideal signing considering he's from Kilkenny - he got a two year contract apparently. If Cork are hard up financially, maybe Karl Sheppard might be an option. Other than that you're hoping for someone from the UK to come over.

hardybuck wrote: »
    I wouldn't get too concerned. The European qualification might only be two games, max four maybe, but the money will be welcome.

I don't think anyone will be too worried about the departures to date, but you would hope a number of quality signings will follow. A striker would seem to be a key priority.

Mikey Drennan would have been an ideal signing considering he's from Kilkenny - he got a two year contract apparently. If Cork are hard up financially, maybe Karl Sheppard might be an option. Other than that you're hoping for someone from the UK to come over.

Would of loved if we got Kieran Sadlier from Cork but he's gone too Doncaster

The belief after the last game of this season we were getting a healthy budget for transfers but something has seemed to gone wrong

hardybuck wrote: »

people have this myth that European Football brings in the big bucks. it actually doesn't bring that much in at all if you don't get past the first round.
    say for example we get a team in Kazakhstan, we would have to charter a plane and you won't get much change out of 120-150k cost. Lee Power is no fool and he has looked at all this.

also seems fletch is out the gap also. well known that himself and Rennie don't see eye to eye and is heading Lee side. Players who were on 500-700 last season have been offered 200-300 this season to remain full time. r:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

people have this myth that European Football brings in the big bucks. it actually doesn't bring that much in at all if you don't get past the first round.
    say for example we get a team in Kazakhstan, we would have to charter a plane and you won't get much change out of 120-150k cost. Lee Power is no fool and he has looked at all this.

also seems fletch is out the gap also. well known that himself and Rennie don't see eye to eye and is heading Lee side. Players who were on 500-700 last season have been offered 200-300 this season to remain full time. r:eek:

Fair point, but in 2018 the team who earned the lowest amount of prize money got €240,000. That's about four times what you'd get for finishing 3rd or 4th in the league, and that's before matchday revenue and you might get lucky and get a game on tv somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Also having to re-arrange games to unsuitable nights and the associated loss of revenue. Don't be surprised if the club have to spend a few grand bringing the RSC up to the UEFA delegates liking or reducing capacity. Europe is not a blank cheque the associated costs eat a lot into the prize money.

Advertisement