Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford FC Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

first game of 2019 takes place tonight

facing Waterford Hibs in Ozier park at 7pm

8-0 win for Waterford tonight, shows the step up between LOI and local league football

2 different teams for each half, lots of trailists for Waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭sitkaspruce

any idea of who the trialists were? anyone worthy of improving the squad?

any idea of who the trialists were? anyone worthy of improving the squad?

from the reports on the Blues Supporters facebook group some of the trial players were

Scott Allardice
    Jack Doherty
    Apperntly a belgien player too but he wasant named along with other players

goals from Elbouzedi (2), Duggan (2), JJ Lunney, Izzy Akinade, Galvin and an unamed trailist

Still reports saying we still dont have a quality striker signed :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭WFC1930

PTH2009 wrote: »
    from the reports on the Blues Supporters facebook group some of the trial players were

Scott Allardice
    Jack Doherty

goals from Elbouzedi (2), Duggan (2), JJ Lunney, Izzy Akinade, Galvin and an unamed trailist

Relax, we didn’t sign Duffus till after we beat derry 2-1. Still plenty of time left to to recruit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Good interview on OTB with Damien delaney, talks about last season, signing for blues, etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Scott Allardice
    Jack Doherty

I see Giuseppi Rossi is looking for a club? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Friendly against Wexford today @2 down the RSC.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Friendly against Wexford today @2 down the RSC.

Unfortunate that it clashes with the 24/7 cardiac care March in the city today. The club probably should have rearrangened the kick off time

The Blues supporters Facebook page has shut down

Full story is explained in a post there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

It's a closed group. Any reason why the shut down?

iseegirls wrote: »
    It's a closed group. Any reason why the shut down?

Apparently the guy who ran it was personally threatened by someone who was supposedly banned from the club but in fact wasant and that person was spotted. It's an odd storie.

Shame as I really enjoyed that page and it was pretty useful for info on games/club events etc

Anyway defeat in our first competitive game of the season. 3-2 loss away too Cobh in the Munster Club cup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

A lot of sleep will be lost over that result!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

where is the post that explains it?

Gardner wrote: »
    where is the post that explains it?

It's on the blues supporters club page on Facebook. Long and detailed explanation given and then the group was shut down.

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    It's on the blues supporters club page on Facebook. Long and detailed explanation given and then the group was shut down.

sound. not on Faceache so will get the kids to have a look later for me

We missed out on signing Scott Allerdice. Hes gone too bohs instead

Blues beat Limerick 4-0 at the RSC today in friendly, think they play Bray next weekend in another friendly with the big game at home against Rovers to start the season only a couple of weeks away, Friday 15th February. Still a few triallists lining out with them so hopefully some news in the coming week or so about more new players. Without reading too much into these friendlies its good to see the team winning with lots of goals being scored too.

was at the limerick game. average enough. we were the same in our pre season last year also.
    very hard to judge to know how strong we are. hand on heart i don't think we are as strong this year as last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Gardner wrote: »
    was at the limerick game. average enough. we were the same in our pre season last year also.
    very hard to judge to know how strong we are. hand on heart i don't think we are as strong this year as last year.

I'd agree, I think we're going to struggle this season.

When you look at the quality of players Dundalk, Rovers, Pats and Bohs are bringing in, as well as some decent signings by Derry and Sligo, I'd be seriously concerned.

It's well documented on here that budgets have been slashed meaning bringing in players with the wages on offer is going to be limited.

You'd have thought the opposite would be the case given European qualification and the need to build on the momentum of the last two seasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

jimbojazz wrote: »

When you look at the quality of players Dundalk, Rovers, Pats and Bohs are bringing in, as well as some decent signings by Derry and Sligo, I'd be seriously concerned.

It's well documented on here that budgets have been slashed meaning bringing in players with the wages on offer is going to be limited.

You'd have thought the opposite would be the case given European qualification and the need to build on the momentum of the last two seasons.

Has this talk of slashed budgets been verified by the media/supporters groups/the club themselves or is it purely speculation?

What is the medium-long term objective of the club, or is there one? Is the objective to still be in the league in five years, and if they can finish in the top half a bonus? Do they aim for European football every year? Are they just operating from year to year?

hardybuck wrote: »
    Has this talk of slashed budgets been verified by the media/supporters groups/the club themselves or is it purely speculation?

What is the medium-long term objective of the club, or is there one? Is the objective to still be in the league in five years, and if they can finish in the top half a bonus? Do they aim for European football every year? Are they just operating from year to year?

I heard it from 2 sources, one was direct form someone with close connection(not involvement) with the club and the other was from a conversation between a current player and former player that I happened to overhear, but they weren't exactly trying not to be heard either .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I heard it from 2 sources, one was direct form someone with close connection(not involvement) with the club and the other was from a conversation between a current player and former player that I happened to overhear, but they weren't exactly trying not to be heard either .

That's fair enough, and I'm not having a jab at you because it is something that many seem to be repeating, but was just wondering how concrete it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

hardybuck wrote: »
    That's fair enough, and I'm not having a jab at you because it is something that many seem to be repearing, but was just wondering how concrete it is.

Rennie himself said it in an interview on WLR

Bohs??? They’ve lost they’re whole squad to us, Cork Dundalk and English clubs... they’ve brought in barely any well known players.. Bohs might struggle this season or at the very highest will over achieve and come 6th or 7th.

Derry and Sligo aren’t great I’d have us in much higher regard than them.

Fair point on Pats Rovers Dundalk etc. but when Pats go out and sign Chris Forrester I mean you can’t compete with that. Or else you’ll go bust. I reckon it will be us and Cork looking for fourth and hoping for someone to win the cup. Cork have been weakend up top and even all around the pitch. They can still put a good 11 on the field but will be nowhere near where they have been. I really don’t think there’s much in it between us. They have also have a weirdly balanced squad. Tons of full backs and not a lot up top and are relying on unproven players to do well for them, example being James Tilley. There probably better than us at this moment in time but hopefully we can add a few in the next few weeks and push above them. We always seem to have a busy transfer window as it draws to a close and we always seem to sign very well at the end of the window too! Duffus, Fletch, Vigouroux. Let’s not go worrying and saying we will struggle just yet. The 11 that lines up to face Rovers will tell a lot of what our aspirations are for the season!

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭molby

Think we will be ok this year. Need about 6 more before season starts.

Connor - Need a stronger keeper. Good back up though
    Feely - Versatile
    Browne - if fit one of the best in the league.
    Delaney - upgrade on Webster
    Lynch - upgrade on Barnett.
    Hery -say no more.
    Duggan - upgrade on Keggan.
    Lunney - upgrade on Hoolahan ?
    Elbouzedi - ?
    Galvin - great little player.
    Akinade - wont score enough.
    Halloran - wont score enough
    Walsh - squad player
    Martin - could have a great season if he stays fit.
    Kouogun -?

molby wrote: »
    Think we will be ok this year. Need about 6 more before season starts.

Connor - Need a stronger keeper. Good back up though
    Feely - Versatile
    Browne - if fit one of the best in the league.
    Delaney - upgrade on Webster
    Lynch - upgrade on Barnett.
    Hery -say no more.
    Duggan - upgrade on Keggan.
    Lunney - upgrade on Hoolahan ?
    Elbouzedi - ?
    Galvin - great little player.
    Akinade - wont score enough.
    Halloran - wont score enough
    Walsh - squad player
    Martin - could have a great season if he stays fit.
    Kouogun -?

Actually think you’ve hit the nail on the head with most of these assessments. Few things. I wouldn’t compare Lunney with Holohan cause Lunney seems to be play mostly as a box to box midfielder but might also play in a defence midfield role where as Holohan was an out and out 10. But by looking at the formation from pre season We aren’t playing a 10 so Holohans position no longer exists. Wouldn’t say they are far apart in squad stature anyway. And then you have question marks over Elbouzedi and Maxim. Fair enough I guess, Elbouzedi is looking sharp in pre season, I think he could be in for an excellent season. According to a few of the players he is one the best players we have in training aswell. He was rated very highly when with West Brom and when playing with Irelands under age sides but injuries hampered his career badly and is here looking for a fresh start, he’s been named in Stephen Kenny’s u21 side for the next fixtures as has JJ Lunney. Maxim will probably rotate in and out for Delaney when the schedule is tight, he had offers from the UK including Northampton but has opted to sign for us which is great, still very young he could also have an excellent season. Very impressive when with UCD.

Press conference scheduled for tomorrow cancelled, cue the conspiracy theories

• Advertisement

Press conference scheduled for tomorrow cancelled, queue the conspiracy theories

there selling the club

We got/didnt get our UEFA licene for take part in the Europa League 19/20 qulafiers

new signings /new sponsors

could be anything

Advertisement