Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford FC Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

alta stare wrote: »
    Max Powers wrote: »
    Way too early to be calling time on caulfield or saying they have gone stale, its two games, fully expect CC to be in top 3, not too much different to yourself in terms of predictions.

Ask any Cork fan what they think of their manager. Since they won the league they have gone backwards. The fans arent happy Max and i can see Caulfield gone. Alot of their fans have been very critical of their manager and it isnt just happening because of two games this season. Watch the heat come on Caulfield if they loose their next game.

Another problem with Caulfield is that he’s too much of a sideshow with his sideline antics, he was at it all through the game last night, why he wasn’t sent to the stands is beyond me

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Deiselurker

iseegirls wrote: »
    Will match tickets only go through the club? Would be interested in going to the away leg - dependent on where it is I guess. But was wondering the likelihood of getting a match ticket if not a season ticket holder.

I don't think there will be a problem getting ticket to away leg unless it's in very small ground. I've seen some of the highlights of Irish teams away games in Europe and seems to be plenty space in all stadiums for those games. It's mid July and early rounds of Europa League so wouldn't be huge interest from most fans except us. I have my 2 weeks booked off anyway so hope we get a nice draw in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Max Powers wrote: »
    I haven't spoken to any cork fans, just seems a bit premature, they came second against a very good dundalk, I think they could shoot themselves in the foot if like you say/hear comes true. I suppose worth reminding ourselves that a lot of football fans can be over critical, unbalanced, impatient, fantasists.

To be fair he has done a good job with them since he came in and to an extent i agree that their fans need to be careful what they wish for. Since 2013 (i think) they have been top 4 every season so he has done a great job. At the same time they arent happy with the style of play and if that continues and the results arent what they should be i bet he will be gone.

This is the season where Cork have the best opportunity to win the league again. Dundalk have Vinnie Perth settling in and Shamrock Rovers form can be inconsistent so the pressure is on Caulfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Super result Friday night, massive win. Absolutely crazy that we are away to Derry tonight, whoever makes these fixture lists needs a good talking to!

Would be great to get anything out of the game tonight in the circumstances. It's live on wlr too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    Absolutely crazy that we are away to Derry tonight, whoever makes these fixture lists needs a good talking to!

I thought that at first too when I saw the fixtures, but, to be fair there are a lot less Monday night games at the start of this season than last season.
    Ok, we have the longest trek (Cork are going to Sligo), but I don't think derbies on a Monday are the answer either, so you're going to be at least going to Dublin.
    I'm sure the squad have been focusing on tonight's match since about 10pm Friday. Hopefully they can come away with at least a draw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Bad result last night and not getting any easier with Bohs who are undefeated coming too the RSC on Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Bad result last night and not getting any easier with Bohs who are undefeated coming too the RSC on Friday

Don't expect Friday night to be pretty I expect plenty of aggression from both teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Get a result Friday and it won't be a terrible start considering the fixtures played.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I know I've asked similar questions before, but how many of the current squad are local lads? Are they making any progress in getting local lads involved?

I know other junior and senior clubs who've turned down an opportunity to go into LOI as they wanted to keep their team for local players.

debok wrote: »
    Get a result Friday and it won't be a terrible start considering the fixtures played.

id take a draw if i was offered it now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭WFC1930

id take a draw if i was offered it now

No chance in my opinion, 3 points is a must, what makes Bohs such a scary proposition? Because they have beaten the two promoted sides and a Rovers side who had to play the majority of the game with 10 men.. we should be beating Bohs Friday night and anything else would be a disappointment after Monday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

WFC1930 wrote: »
    No chance in my opinion, 3 points is a must, what makes Bohs such a scary proposition? Because they have beaten the two promoted sides and a Rovers side who had to play the majority of the game with 10 men.. we should be beating Bohs Friday night and anything else would be a disappointment after Monday night.

110% spot on!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭sonic85

How's it going lads? I'm hoping to go to a few games in the next couple of months and just wanted to ask a couple of questions. I've not been in the RSC before so apologies if these are stupid questions!

Re parking - what's the best place to park on match days? I was thinking of parking in the Supervalu - is that advisable or is it frowned upon? Does it get very busy - what time should I be looking to be down at for a 7.45 kick off? Don't want to be driving around looking for somewhere to abandon the car when I should be in my seat!

Also what's the etiquette when in the ground - are there reserved seats in the stand or can I just plonk myself anywhere?

Any other advice is welcome! Thanks

hardybuck wrote: »
    I know I've asked similar questions before, but how many of the current squad are local lads? Are they making any progress in getting local lads involved?

I know other junior and senior clubs who've turned down an opportunity to go into LOI as they wanted to keep their team for local players.

Matt Connor, Rory Feely, Kenny Browne are the locals in first team and there's a few squad members like Dean Walsh as well. The under 19s was are all from South East so should be a few more coming through soon. It's always good to have local lads playing but to be a good premier club you need some quality imports too.

sonic85 wrote: »
    How's it going lads? I'm hoping to go to a few games in the next couple of months and just wanted to ask a couple of questions. I've not been in the RSC before so apologies if these are stupid questions!

Re parking - what's the best place to park on match days? I was thinking of parking in the Supervalu - is that advisable or is it frowned upon? Does it get very busy - what time should I be looking to be down at for a 7.45 kick off? Don't want to be driving around looking for somewhere to abandon the car when I should be in my seat!

Also what's the etiquette when in the ground - are there reserved seats in the stand or can I just plonk myself anywhere?

Yes I think you are allowed park in Supervalu. PC world is another option. You'd want to be there around 7.15 I'd say.
    Seats are unreserved in stands apart from a very small number of reserved seats which will be marked so you can sit anywhere apart from with the away fans who have their own entrance on the ring road near Supervalu. Waterford fans all go in main entrance on Cork Road. Welcome to the RSC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

sonic85 wrote: »

You will have to come in the opposite entrance to Supervalu.
    If you want to hear the home fan chants go to the stand closest to the entrance you come in, if you want to be close to the away fans it's the opposite stand, they are seated on the far left.
    Sign up to the blues supporters club online if you are thinking of travelling to away games as it will give you cheap access to the buses and also entry into a monthly draw for a beer hamper. It's just €10 for the season.
    Lastly enjoy the match!

4-0 loss away too Dundalk

Overall a bad start too the season with 1 win, 1 draw and 3 defeats. Rennys job could be on the line if this form keeps up

Cherish this European Journey in the summer as we may not have another one for some time

Reynolds gave an interview during the week where he stated that he has a squad of 18 and that power had pretty much pulled the plug on buying players

He also stated how they were outbid by Cork for four players that he wanted to sign

He also went on about how Power feels there is no money to be made in the LOI and that his primary aim was to develop Swindon

https://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/i-had-to-listen-to-corks-manager-saying-weve-invested-heavily-thats-the-cork-manager-with-27-players-in-his-squad-37888502.html

Sounds like he is looking to be sacked or is totally fed up there with his last comments in that article

I also heard elsewhere that the club is running at a big loss , that Power feels the local businesses have failed to got behind the club and that the gates are too small

Given recent results, and if things do notimprove , gates will fall even further, there was 1800 less at the Bohs game. Hopefully the numbers will pick up, but supporters are very fickle

jimbojazz wrote: »
    Reynolds gave an interview during the week where he stated that he has a squad of 18 and that power had pretty much pulled the plug on buying players

He also stated how they were outbid by Cork for four players that he wanted to sign

He also went on about how Power feels there is no money to be made in the LOI and that his primary aim was to develop Swindon

https://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/i-had-to-listen-to-corks-manager-saying-weve-invested-heavily-thats-the-cork-manager-with-27-players-in-his-squad-37888502.html

Sounds like he is looking to be sacked or is totally fed up there with his last comments in that article

I also heard elsewhere that the club is running at a big loss , that Power feels the local businesses have failed to got behind the club and that the gates are too small

Given recent results, and if things do notimprove , gates will fall even further, there was 1800 less at the Bohs game. Hopefully the numbers will pick up, but supporters are very fickle

Id say funding was always going to be an issue this season. An initial outlay by the owner to create a buzz and save the club was the intention and it worked. He was never going to keep throwing money at it.

Waterford could have won that league only for their slump after the break. To be fair Waterford were lucky to get Europe. I was surprised Reynolds was the manager this season. I do think he is walking a tightrope now and his comments are not helpful. Either he wants the sack or JC got under his skin with those comments. Which ever one it is he is now a man under pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭sitkaspruce

Overall a bad start too the season with 1 win, 1 draw and 3 defeats. Rennys job could be on the line if this form keeps up

Cherish this European Journey in the summer as we may not have another one for some time

I think it's a matter of when Rennie goes, not if....

• Advertisement

I think it's a matter of when Rennie goes, not if....

Problem is who else is out there on the budget they’d be offering

Collie O Neill would be a good shout. Cant see him coming down here though. He has UCD playing good football on very limited resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Collie O Neill would be a good shout. Cant see him coming down here though. He has UCD playing good football on very limited resources.

He works for Microsoft in Dublin, no chance he moves down here

He works for Microsoft in Dublin, no chance he moves down here

Ah i know he would never move down. Good manager though.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭sitkaspruce

Breener?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Find it hard to believe that Power would pump all that money in and then realise that league of Ireland attendances are not huge.

Surely you'd do your homework first.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

The only way for Waterford to be sustainable is to rely on young players from the area, maybe peppered with 2-3 signings of genuine quality.

If a club like Bilbao can have a squad in La Liga these days almost entirely made up of academy graduates from the local province, a club like Waterford can definitely do it.

A great article about Ajax during the week in the times made reference to the fact that they needed lads coming through at 18-19 because 21-22 was too old as they needed to be sold by then. Jordi Klassen was pretty much told it was his time to leave when he was sold to Everton as a young lad needed his chance to get in.

A guy like Power is only there to maximise his return.

Deiseen wrote: »
    Find it hard to believe that Power would pump all that money in and then realise that league of Ireland attendances are not huge.

Im sure he did. The first financial outlay was always going to be big and then they would reign it in. If he kept spending money in the LOI he would be broke. I dont believe tho that after just one or two seasons he would pull out.

Deiseen wrote: »

Im sure he did. The first financial outlay was always going to be big and then they would reign it in. If he kept spending money in the LOI he would be broke. I dont believe tho that after just one or two seasons he would pull out.

Don’t think he’ll pull out but the plan was always that he’d finance it for 3 seasons and that the club would then be self sufficient after that

• Advertisement

Don’t think he’ll pull out but the plan was always that he’d finance it for 3 seasons and that the club would then be self sufficient after that

Unfortunately LOI and being self sufficient dont usually go together. :D

Advertisement