Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford FC Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Home to Dundalk in the cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Home to Dundalk in the cup.

That's that I suppose .Massive massive effort needed by us

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

that's the end of the cup run

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Are the club still full time?

Would they have access to strength and conditioning and do their own gym work?

Stats analysis, video etc?

Just trying to get my head around how far these lads push themselves to get the most from their game.

hardybuck wrote: »
    Are the club still full time?

Stats analysis, video etc?

Just trying to get my head around how far these lads push themselves to get the most from their game.

Think they use Kingfishers facilitates for gym work. The RSC has a few other pitches they use for training.

Club Offices are in the RSC I think

Woodlands Hotel is used for meetings etc too

I doubt LOI clubs have there own training facilities like bigger worldwide clubs with most renting stuff. Could be wrong ??. Dublin based clubs must have some load of options

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think Brownes gym work might involve jogging to the pie shop.

NIMAN wrote: »
    I think Brownes gym work might involve jogging to the pie shop.

Well he'd have played on the same Bohs side as Kevin Moran growing up. Some difference in the level of conditioning between the amateur and the pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Need to get Derek McGrath in asap.

Too late .... he's going to Laoise I believe.

:D:D

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Think they use Kingfishers facilitates for gym work. The RSC has a few other pitches they use for training.

Club Offices are in the RSC I think

Woodlands Hotel is used for meetings etc too

I doubt LOI clubs have there own training facilities like bigger worldwide clubs with most renting stuff. Could be wrong ??. Dublin based clubs must have some load of options

It's a pity they don't have a more formal relationship with WIT.

The LOI should be making a greater effort to keep talent in Ireland for longer before exporting them to the UK - and education is the method.

It also looks increasingly likely that an All Ireland league is on the way, potentially from 2020.

Feedback from the clubs has been positive, and expect to see a lot of political goodwill behind the proposals.

I understand these proposals will involve a Premier Div of 9 teams from the LOI and 5 teams from the North.

• Advertisement

The LOI should be making a greater effort to keep talent in Ireland for longer before exporting them to the UK - and education is the method.

The WIT Arena possibly gets used too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭south

https://www.wit.ie/news/news/in-the-news-waterford-fc

south wrote: »

That's encouraging, but that two year deal will now be at an end, and Pat Fenelon is now up in Linfield - hopefully it hasn't all fallen by the wayside.

1-1 draw at home to Derry City

Finn Harps game postponed tonight meaning we now have the same amount of games played with us 5pts ahead. 7 games left to play in the league

Away to Cork monday night before we play Hearts under 21s (Fri 6th Sep) and then Dundalk in the cup (mon 9th sep)

Next weekend will prob be the only time myself and today's generation of Waterford FC supporters will get the chance to see them take on a foreign club team in competitive action. Dont think it will attract much of a crowd as it could possibly be reserves/under 19s been sent out for us. Its obv Hearts under 21s not the first team

Very Small consolation from losing our Europa League place due to politics and lies

Next weekend will prob be the only time myself and today's generation of Waterford FC supporters will get the chance to see them take on a foreign club team in competitive action. Dont think it will attract much of a crowd as it could possibly be reserves/under 19s been sent out for us. Its obv Hearts under 21s not the first team

Very Small consolation from losing our Europa League place due to politics and lies

Is competition worth much in prize money?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Nonsense!
    We tried to pull a stroke and did not get away with it!
    Possibly would have except for the ructions in the FAI.

Nonsense!
    We tried to pull a stroke and did not get away with it!
    Possibly would have except for the ructions in the FAI.

Thinking back that embarrassing statement praising JD by the club owners made sense and was quite sneaky secret handshake type stuff. It kind of ****ed us up this season with the 'Investments we made for Europe' ****ed off mid way through and we are not battling to avoid the dreaded playoff spot (could be in an even worse position but think UCD will finish 10th and are slowly realising that). Hard to knw what lies ahead for 2020 and our ambitions

In the present its decent for the club to be involved in a Championship with UK clubs. Even If it's a little farcical. Think were getting €33000 or something for our third round apperence but open to correction

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Deiselurker

It's a pity the scheduling of the Scottish Challenge Cup has clashed with FAI Cup and has led to a lot of negative comments and will probably affect the crowd on Friday night as Alan Reynolds will have to change his team as it's between 2 important games. The scheduling of fixtures is very poor this year. Waterford will be without Elbouzedi for next 3 games as he's on international duty with Ireland under 21s.

Is competition worth much in prize money?

Teams that got knocked out in the 3rd round last year earned £8,000 last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Well that was about the best excitement looking at two numbers on a phone can get:D

Very important points and table looks a lot better for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Super result for the blues this Evening, scored an injury time winner to beat cork 2-1. We are now 8 points clear of Finn harps and seem to be coming into some form

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    Super result for the blues this Evening, scored an injury time winner to beat cork 2-1. We are now 8 points clear of Finn harps and seem to be coming into some form

Amen to that

Great result and could save our season

Nice to be going into our cup games with momentuim esp for next Mondays FAI cup game which hopefully we meet a tired Dundalk side

Rennie might have saved his job

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Great result and could save our season

Nice to be going into our cup games with momentuim esp for next Mondays FAI cup game which hopefully we meet a tired Dundalk side

Rennie might have saved his job

That’s providing he wants the job, word is, his two years leave from the FAI ends this November, so he needs to decide if he wants to continue in management or go back to his secure job within the FAI.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Aquos76 wrote: »
    That’s providing he wants the job, word is, his two years leave from the FAI ends this November, so he needs to decide if he wants to continue in management or go back to his secure job within the FAI.

Will the FAI be still there in November?

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

https://www.rte.ie/news/2019/0904/1073668-match-fixing/

Any guesses as to who this is? Given that it refers to a club "in the South of the country", it clearly refers to one of a fairly small number of clubs. That number of clubs would be even smaller if "South of the country" doesn't include the South-East. I'm pretty sure that it's not us. I assume that we'd have heard about it by now if the constabulary had paid a friendly visit to the RSC last night.

edit: A quick google search reveals the answer: https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/crime-and-courts/475262/breaking-gardai-carry-out-searches-at-limerick-sports-ground-in-match-fixing-probe.html

If they're found to have been involved in match-fixing, what happens? Is it only the players who are punished or will we see a new club in the League of Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

https://www.rte.ie/news/2019/0904/1073668-match-fixing/

Any guesses as to who this is? Given that it refers to a club "in the South of the country", it clearly refers to a fairly small number of clubs. That number of clubs would be even smaller if "South of the country" doesn't include the South-East. I'm pretty sure that it's not us. I assume that we'd have heard about it by now if the constabulary had paid a friendly visit to the RSC last night.
    its limerick. the garda twitter had it up they were there. few posts on the main LOI thread in the soccer forum

Good night for the club

Beat Hearts Colts 3-1 to move into the next round of the TCW Scottish Challenge cup. Sadly didn't make the game and dont knw how many were there. The next round of this cup is scheduled for 12/13 Oct. We are down to face Sligo at home on the 11th Oct and next league game is 18th Oct away to Finn Harps. Both huge games, expect to see one of those games moved mid week now

Results in the league went our way with Cork and Finn Harps been beaten

Massive game on Monday night and hopefully a massive performance vs Dundalk in the cup. Club in a mini revival atm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Deiselurker

I was there last night and reckon around 700 there. Good win with a mainly young team with a few recognised first team players also starting. Chvedukas gave us the lead with a good header. Hearts got a deserved equaliser as they were much better in 2nd half than 1st. Lovely goal then from Alex Phelan to give us the lead with 10 minutes or so to go and then sub Madika's effort was deflected in for number 3. Next round draw on Tuesday. It's been a good week for the club after a tough few months.

Advertisement