Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford FC Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

... and the text between says ......

"Maybe the passing was bad, that needs to improve if so"

Did you not see the game? That quote would certainly seem to imply you did not, or else could not tell the difference between good and bad passing.

In which case you are attacking a legitimate comment on a performance while in ignorance of it.

You might well hold a different opinion to other posters, but the way to properly express that is not to throw such derogotary terms at someone you disagree with.
    That is just childish.

I will leave you to your childishness.

No problem with the passing comment, youre probably right to be fair but irrelevance about age profile of opposition just doesnt matter with the need for points for us, it cheapens the effort of the team and the 3 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Max Powers wrote: »
    No problem with the passing comment, youre probably right to be fair but irrelevance about age profile of opposition just doesnt matter with the need for points for us, it cheapens the effort of the team and the 3 points.

I do not at all disagree with the very obvious need for points.
    It is presently the most important part of the result.

The difficulty is that points are very very hard to get if we regularly send passes astray and allow the opposition to overturn possession.
    It is a huge uphill battle when that happens.

Yes the age/experience profile of the opposition is very relevant when considering the performance. I expect more from seasoned players than I do from inexperienced players ... don't you?

The only thing that cheapened this result for me was the performance.
    They were rather lucky to get a win.
    Several more goals could (should?) have been conceded and probably would have been if the opposition played a little bit better (they have their own reasons/excuses for that).

As I posted before ..... a great 3 points.
    But my opinion is that we won't get away with many of those wins if our perfomance does not improve ..... and I am speaking about basics, not fancy stuff.

It seems we are safe for this season and I hope that for next season we have the players and manager/coach that will bring us up in standard.

I do not at all disagree with the very obvious need for points.
    It is presently the most important part of the result.

The difficulty is that points are very very hard to get if we regularly send passes astray and allow the opposition to overturn possession.
    It is a huge uphill battle when that happens.

Yes the age/experience profile of the opposition is very relevant when considering the performance. I expect more from seasoned players than I do from inexperienced players ... don't you?

The only thing that cheapened this result for me was the performance.
    They were rather lucky to get a win.
    Several more goals could (should?) have been conceded and probably would have been if the opposition played a little bit better (they have their own reasons/excuses for that).

As I posted before ..... a great 3 points.
    But my opinion is that we won't get away with many of those wins if our perfomance does not improve ..... and I am speaking about basics, not fancy stuff.

It seems we are safe for this season and I hope that for next season we have the players and manager/coach that will bring us up in standard.

Agree with most of that, need to improve for next season especially, no doubt, hope you right about safe now, I suppose we would hope we can pick up more points in last few games alright. Tell you one thing, its been great to get a few results, personally felt a bit disheartened when the Europa fell through, then big break, then results went south, hammered by rovers etc so its been great to have something to cheer again.

Agree with most of that, need to improve for next season especially, no doubt, hope you right about safe now, I suppose we would hope we can pick up more points in last few games alright. Tell you one thing, its been great to get a few results, personally felt a bit disheartened when the Europa fell through, then big break, then results went south, hammered by rovers etc so its been great to have something to cheer again.

Yes it has been great to have some results to lift the mood.
    I am hopeful that with some recent results the player effort can be maintained and some basics improved ..... some confidence can help those basics.
    On the Europe thing .... it was well flagged and I did not expect it to happen except by some 'stroke' which did not occur (due to FAI circumstances?).

While the situation is by no means rosy the outlook at present is not at all bad .... but if the basics do not improve somewhat then we could be fighting for survival.
    I fully expect the performance failures to be worked on and hope that produces improvements where required. I believe the players are capable of that improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

I'd still call your post a whinge, because, the state the club has been in, bad results/relegation area, europa thing, consequently the number one priority is results/points/survival. Maybe the passing was bad, that needs to improve if so but to try and cheapen the result by saying, they were playing an under strength team is so small in relevance to what the club needs at the moment is silly talk. A great 3 points but not a great performance sounds about right, we will take a few more of them to stay well away from danger zone thanks very much.

all fingers can be pointed towards Lee Power and the rest of the board for this fiasco.. while i wouldn't hold rennie in the greatest of esteem all the blame cant be pointed at him for the failings of the board of the past 12 months.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Surely the club bad in all as this season has been, is in a better state now than before Lee power took over. Mid table first division with 300 at games and owing half the town money when they took over. Short memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Deiselurker

We finished 2nd bottom 2 years in a row in the first division. I remember being at the last game of the season v Cobh in the pouring rain with around 300 there where we won to climb off the bottom after going months without winning a game up to then. So I'll take being 7th in the Premier at the moment above that. Lee Power's investment brought us out of the doldrums so we should be grateful for that. It's up to him how much he wants to spend on the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

We finished 2nd bottom 2 years in a row in the first division. I remember being at the last game of the season v Cobh in the pouring rain with around 300 there where we won to climb off the bottom after going months without winning a game up to then. So I'll take being 7th in the Premier at the moment above that. Lee Power's investment brought us out of the doldrums so we should be grateful for that. It's up to him how much he wants to spend on the club.

Thinking back to last season we deff overahcived in terms of our final position but we done it on the pitch with a lot of players who sadly moved on this season and the 2019 squad we were unable to regain that level esp when Europe went **** ways cause of bad management who were agreeing to things in a handshake agreement and its turned on them in the end. Obv we still have sum great players in the squad who could have good futures in football.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Thinking back to last season we deff overahcived in terms of our final position but we done it on the pitch with a lot of players who sadly moved on this season and the 2019 squad we were unable to regain that level esp when Europe went **** ways cause of bad management who were agreeing to things in a handshake agreement and its turned on them in the end. Obv we still have sum great players in the squad who could have good futures in football.
    there is only one and that is Zack and he won't be there next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

To follow on from a point made earlier, the passing is indeed awful. Dundalk on a completely other level in terms of passing.

Giving the ball away so regularly means they're running around needlessly and running out of steam. No excuse either as the pitch is in great condition.

You can see in the LOI that pace is a very rare commodity. While that Figeroa has bags of it he's like a blue arse fly running around there!

Impressed with Kevin Lynch. Tidy.

• Advertisement

Good performance I thought, especially in first, had a feeling we would give them a scare, pity nothing to show for it, they are a tidy team, champions. Bit disappointed with attendance, the champions were in town, would have thought public would get behind team, team gave it one hundred percent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Did OK tonight, were a bit unlucky, caught out a bit by the goal, but it wasn't a foul although some of the crowd thought so.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Deiselurker

Good performance last night. We deserved a draw at least but a piece of stupid play cost us. You couldn't fault the effort and if we had played consistently like that over past few months we'd have been safe long before now. Only 4 league games left now and at least 1 in Scottish challenge cup.

Not good news in the daily mirror

I would be surprised if Reynolds stayed in any event.

He's had a difficult year, and if he's putting it up to the owner like that he's really planning to walk away but he's attempting to make out that he's being forced to by lack of support.

Lee Power will probably hold onto the club but you couldn't expect him to continually pay for it if it's losing money.

He probably realised now that the club are a decent bit away from qualifying for a European slot - and on the face of it that's probably the most realistic prospect of the club covering its costs, unless they happen to recoup a transfer fee for a talented young player.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,424 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Isn't Reynolds leave of absence from the FAI up soon?

He wont stay …

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

And now the end is near......

Great result again in Dublin, you have to say, fair play to team and management, it was looking not great there for a while mid season when we had that break, the Europa disaster, wrong side of table and a string of poor results, they pulled it back in fairness. Great to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Excellent performance tonight and an entertaining game. Good vocal Blues support too. In contrast to the lack of atmosphere at the RSC the last time I got down to a game.

While the improving results late in the season are welcome it all feels pretty pointless as very few of the squad will probably be there next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Excellent performance tonight and an entertaining game. Good vocal Blues support too. In contrast to the lack of atmosphere at the RSC the last time I got down to a game.

While the improving results late in the season are welcome it all feels pretty pointless as very few of the squad will probably be there next season.
    But the club will be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Do blues support j Delaney?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

debok wrote: »
    But the club will be

I'm not doubting that. My point could be applied to all the mid/lower table clubs in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,175 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Do blues support j Delaney?

Not any that I know.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Safe going into our last 3 games but we should aim for 3 wins to maybe improve our finishing position and finish in 6th. Sligo at home tomorrow night. Was pretty satisfactory win against St Pat's hoping that it cost them a place in Europe

Steinhousemuir game on Friday night coming which is a odd one as if we win the next round will be played in November. Is it worth paying the squad extra wages and training for 1 game in Nov ??. Good few heading over for it sadly wont make it over myself but its live on BBC Alba

Hard to knw about next season and what the best plan of action would be. Thank Rennie for his services and move forward with a new manager and try and rebuild the squad ??

Safe going into our last 3 games but we should aim for 3 wins to maybe improve our finishing position and finish in 6th. Sligo at home tomorrow night. Was pretty satisfactory win against St Pat's hoping that it cost them a place in Europe

Steinhousemuir game on Friday night coming which is a odd one as if we win the next round will be played in November. Is it worth paying the squad extra wages and training for 1 game in Nov ??. Good few heading over for it sadly wont make it over myself but its live on BBC Alba

Hard to knw about next season and what the best plan of action would be. Thank Rennie for his services and move forward with a new manager and try and rebuild the squad ??

It clashes with the England Vs Czech game?

Should they win on Friday night, they would only have a three week gap between fixtures. Aside from the prize money, a game at home against a high profile side, or the share of the away gate against one of the better supported sides, would probably make it worthwhile. TV money also a bonus, as is the generous travelling allowance.

Looking at the upcoming round, I note that the English side are playing Rangers U21s three weeks after everyone else, who perhaps there is someone sensible there to try and help clubs to come to an arrangement.

Rennie will most likely thank the club for the opportunity and seek something elsewhere. I personally think a different approach should be taken to player recruitment but I don't think many others here share that view.

I understand the LOI clubs are meeting tonight to discuss the proposals to move to an All Ireland League.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Flow Motion

Bring back Tommy Lynch :rolleyes:

2-0 win tonight which puts us only 2 pts behind tonight's opponents Sligo in 6th place

Last 2 games for us are very winnable Finn Harps (A) and UCD (H) for a chance to finish in 6th with Sligo facing 2 hard games against Derry and Bohs

• Advertisement

2-0 win tonight which puts us only 2 pts behind tonight's opponents Sligo in 6th place

Last 2 games for us are very winnable Finn Harps (A) and UCD (H) for a chance to finish in 6th with Sligo facing 2 hard games against Derry and Bohs

That would be a fair turnaround from where we were couple months ago.good performance last night, Sligo keeper was looking like man of the match in first half but I would give it to Walter-ford Figueora.

Advertisement