Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford FC Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Won't be until the fixtures are out I'd imagine. There will only be ten teams in the premier next season so we will have either 13 or 14 home games. Guess they will have to wait to see before deciding on a price.

There will be 36 games, 18 home matches

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Got mixed up with the first division being 3 rounds

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Haven't seen any mention of it on here but can anyone tell us what happened down in Cobh? I heard several Blues fans were ejected from St. Colmans Park.

Just reading over the weekend it's not decided yet so we are both wrong!

Congrats to all the ground staff as well as the RSC was awarded the best pitch in the League of Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gardner

Friend of mine told me last night that several supporters were arrested at last game of the season in Cobh ( couldn’t attend due to work commitments myself). All young fans and piss@d up that resulted in the chairman of supporters club resigning (arrested). Have noticed a thuggish element to the group at the back of block e this season. Anytime it is brought up on their Facebook page they all get very protective and shout the person down.
    Will be getting my season ticket for the new stand next season instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Gardner wrote: »
    Friend of mine told me last night that several supporters were arrested at last game of the season in Cobh ( couldn’t attend due to work commitments myself). All young fans and piss@d up that resulted in the chairman of supporters club resigning (arrested). Have noticed a thuggish element to the group at the back of block e this season. Anytime it is brought up on their Facebook page they all get very protective and shout the person down.
    Will be getting my season ticket for the new stand next season instead.

Wow...that's terrible, true or not,I can't say.I will say,I have never thought of any blues fans as thuggish down in RSC,a couple unfunny/unimaginative chants maybe (FxxK insert random team, FAI, etc) that's about it, never heard any racism, one or two at most moronic comments about a female official, worst of it.
    I was at nearly every home game, no away.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,271 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Max Powers wrote: »
    Wow...that's terrible, true or not,I can't say.I will say,I have never thought of any blues fans as thuggish down in RSC,a couple unfunny/unimaginative chants maybe (FxxK insert random team, FAI, etc) that's about it, never heard any racism, one or two at most moronic comments about a female official, worst of it.
    I was at nearly every home game, no away.

Wait these tough lads go to Rovers, Bohs,Pats,Derry etc and try and act the maggot

Terrible carry on if true, no place for it in Soccer but sadly that's reality

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭dlnv27

Was down at the game with my wife. Went down to corner behind goal where Waterford supporters were. Before game started there was 2 or 3 flares let off. Security put them out and warned the supporters. There was probably about 80 people there with 5 security and 10 Garda. When game started there was 2 more flares thrown onto the pitch. This shouldn't have happened but Garda went a big over the top mainly with lads in there late teens. We asked one of the security to leave us into another part of the ground but were told we had to stay segregated from the Cobh supporters which was a bit of a joke considering there was more Waterford than Cobh supporters there.

dlnv27 wrote: »
    Was down at the game with my wife. Went down to corner behind goal where Waterford supporters were. Before game started there was 2 or 3 flares let off. Security put them out and warned the supporters. There was probably about 80 people there with 5 security and 10 Garda. When game started there was 2 more flares thrown onto the pitch. This shouldn't have happened but Garda went a big over the top mainly with lads in there late teens. We asked one of the security to leave us into another part of the ground but were told we had to stay segregated from the Cobh supporters which was a bit of a joke considering there was more Waterford than Cobh supporters there.

Really,a few flares...if that's the worst of it then no big deal.

• Advertisement

Really,a few flares...if that's the worst of it then no big deal.

illegal in all LOI grounds and club gets fined for it. unknown whether the supporters club pay this fine or not.

illegal in all LOI grounds and club gets fined for it. unknown whether the supporters club pay this fine or not.

Yeah fair enough but its not really thuggish behaviour is it?a bit of balance wouldn't go astray here before some lads are condemned as thugs over a few flares especially when sentences start with likes of 'i heard....someone told me'etc. Racism, sexism, excessive foul language/chants, threat off violence, etc is the unwelcome or thuggish stuff most people don't like to see at matches.99% of fans home& away I would guess couldn't care less about some flares.my biggest concern would be the fine, the people responsible should pay, not the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Glad to see someone has spoken out at last. I raised this a fortnight ago and the online silence has been deafening till now. As a recent returnee considering a season ticket for myself and the young-lad this kind of carry-on is a bit....I don't know...unsavory.
    I'm not that worried about violence at the RSC but I don't want to be any part of an increasingly loutish fanbase, even watching from the stand opposite.
    Block E boys sing & chant away just don't act the maggot. And I'm not tarring them all with the one brush, just weed out the gurriers.

Glad to see someone has spoken out at last. I raised this a fortnight ago and the online silence has been deafening till now. As a recent returnee considering a season ticket for myself and the young-lad this kind of carry-on is a bit....I don't know...unsavory.
    I'm not that worried about violence at the RSC but I don't want to be any part of an increasingly loutish fanbase, even watching from the stand opposite.
    Block E boys sing & chant away just don't act the maggot. And I'm not tarring them all with the one brush, just weed out the gurriers.

With respect, there was probably a deafening silence because first off nobody knew what happened, turned out to be pathetically minor from info above, some lads brought some flares to the match.hardly the behaviour of gurriers.
    I'm obviously not condoning bringing flares to match since its against rules but if lads were thrown out for that alone,I wouldn't be getting up on any high horses just yet.
    Add..I'd get a season ticket for yourself and kid, its worth it and good night, as mentioned before, the worst I hear down there are a couple of f words, maybe the odd c word too, industrial language you could say, id guess your average kid hears worse in the playground.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭bullpost

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Wait these tough lads go to Rovers, Bohs,Pats,Derry etc and try and act the maggot

Terrible carry on if true, no place for it in Soccer but sadly that's reality

You want to have seen it in the '70s.

Waterford had a reputation. Until Linfield came to town :)

With respect, there was probably a deafening silence because first off nobody knew what happened, turned out to be pathetically minor from info above, some lads brought some flares to the match.hardly the behaviour of gurriers.
    I'm obviously not condoning bringing flares to match since its against rules but if lads were thrown out for that alone,I wouldn't be getting up on any high horses just yet.

they were not arrested for use of flares. from what i gather the chairman was pissed up along with a few others (buoyed up by his actions) and started acting the mickey men with the cops and in one particular instance knocked off the cops hat for no reason whatsoever.

they were not arrested for use of flares. from what i gather the chairman was pissed up along with a few others (buoyed up by his actions) and started acting the mickey men with the cops and in one particular instance knocked off the cops hat for no reason whatsoever.

Well, that's the first we heard of that, did you see this? Nobody condones that crap and frankly if true, they should be suspended or barred from the all grounds.
    I say, if true, because I have never once seen that from any fans, home/away , in RSC. I also say if true because to be frank, there is a lot of completely unreliable hearsay on here,.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

I was there, so I can give a couple of observations from my point of view.

Firstly, I think 'pissed up' is a bit strong. Yes, we had been in the pub for a couple of hours before the game. People were in high spirits, plenty of singing and chat. Yes, drink was taken, but what I saw was a bunch of lads up for a celebration.

When we got to the ground there seemed to be a big garda presence. I got the feeling they were waiting for something to happen. Stupidly, the guys setting off flares gave them a reason. The guards went in and pulled out the guys who set them off. That's literally all I saw happen. But it was enough to change the whole atmosphere. People got on with watching the match, I know some people left, some went round to the clubhouse end of the field. Fair play to some of the younger guys who got on with singing etc. to get the celebratory mood going again.

noby wrote: »
    I was there, so I can give a couple of observations from my point of view.

Firstly, I think 'pissed up' is a bit strong. Yes, we had been in the pub for a couple of hours before the game. People were in high spirits, plenty of singing and chat. Yes, drink was taken, but what I saw was a bunch of lads up for a celebration.

When we got to the ground there seemed to be a big garda presence. I got the feeling they were waiting for something to happen. Stupidly, the guys setting off flares gave them a reason. The guards went in and pulled out the guys who set them off. That's literally all I saw happen. But it was enough to change the whole atmosphere. People got on with watching the match, I know some people left, some went round to the clubhouse end of the field. Fair play to some of the younger guys who got on with singing etc. to get the celebratory mood going again.

Good to hear from somebody actually there, sounds like a couple of lads making bad/silly decisions with flares, probably got bit to wrapped up in the celebrations.sounds like that soured the atmosphere a bit but hardly the mindless thuggery speculation that went before.
    I realise somebody else present at match may have different outlook , hopefully we'll here more from people actually there.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

First of all i wasnt at the game so I cant comment on what exactly went on. But there is little doubt that the Blues supporters have gained a bit of a reputation this season. Whether its deserved is a matter of opinion but there appears to have been issues at more than one away game this season, Cabinteely and Cobh being the main ones from what I understand.

I believe trouble was expected by both Cobh Ramblers and the Guards, the kick off time was moved from evening to mid afternoon, and its said the Cork guards were in contact with Waterford guards about travelling supporters. Whether this was an over-reaction by the authorities is debatable but certainly some supporters were ejected from the ground for whatever reason. I believe the chairman of the Blues Supporters Club had to resign after the incidents, and some of those ejected from the ground travelled to the game on Blues Supporters Club buses, thereby directly linking the club to the issues.

I had a season ticket this year and I intend to get one for next season too, the Block E boys add hugely to the atmosphere at games, but I suppose they possibly need to be aware they are gaining a reputation and maybe take avoiding action at times and dont attract trouble on themselves.

• Advertisement

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    First of all i wasnt at the game so I cant comment on what exactly went on. But there is little doubt that the Blues supporters have gained a bit of a reputation this season. Whether its deserved is a matter of opinion but there appears to have been issues at more than one away game this season, Cabinteely and Cobh being the main ones from what I understand.

I believe trouble was expected by both Cobh Ramblers and the Guards, the kick off time was moved from evening to mid afternoon, and its said the Cork guards were in contact with Waterford guards about travelling supporters. Whether this was an over-reaction by the authorities is debatable but certainly some supporters were ejected from the ground for whatever reason. I believe the chairman of the Blues Supporters Club had to resign after the incidents, and some of those ejected from the ground travelled to the game on Blues Supporters Club buses, thereby directly linking the club to the issues.

I had a season ticket this year and I intend to get one for next season too, the Block E boys add hugely to the atmosphere at games, but I suppose they possibly need to be aware they are gaining a reputation and maybe take avoiding action at times and dont attract trouble on themselves.

Reasonable points if a tad speculatory.I would doubt they have any rep so I doubt that 'little doubt' line and from what person posted who was at the game some here are getting slightly hysterical with their announcements. . worst I hear/see is 'fxxk insert team name' chant.since this SPECULATION is being discussed,I just hope all fans act properly/respectfully as they have done so last season.any nonsense will only end badly for club , teams and fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

The Block E boys are cringe.......cannot understand why they cant just go to the games and watch the match without having to chants stupid childish things and the some supporters acting like they are part of a hard man firm.......idiots.

Btw i like the drums, singing etc but not when it becomes insulting to others when it gets nasty it lets the club down.

alta stare wrote: »
    The Block E boys are cringe.......cannot understand why they cant just go to the games and watch the match without having to chants stupid childish things and the some supporters acting like they are part of a hard man firm.......idiots.

Btw i like the drums, singing etc but not when it becomes insulting to others when it gets nasty it lets the club down.

Agree most of that...I have not once seen a single person there who thinks, acts or looks remotely like a hard man.so bit much to tar them with names like cringe, the place would have zero atmosphere without them.

Agree most of that...I have not once seen a single person there who thinks, acts or looks remotely like a hard man.so bit much to tar them with names like cringe, the place would have zero atmosphere without them.

So chanting abuse at a game where there are loads of kids (including my 4yr old daughter) is not cringe or hard man behaviour to you???

Re read my post i did say i like the singing the drums etc as it creates a good atmosphere i just dont see the need for the abuse toward the opposition and when it happens yes it is cringe and it sheds a bad light on the club.

I bet these idiots will be silent when up at the likes of Rovers, Bohs, Dundalk.

So chanting abuse at a game where there are loads of kids (including my 4yr old daughter) is not cringe or hard man behaviour to you???

Re read my post i did say i like the singing the drums etc as it creates a good atmosphere i just dont see the need for the abuse toward the opposition and when it happens yes it is cringe and it sheds a bad light on the club.

I bet these idiots will be silent when up at the likes of Rovers, Bohs, Dundalk.

I have always said I dislike the chants you mention.not ideal for small kids certainly, no argument there.I just don't see it as hard man behaviour. I read the cork city players were signing it at their celebrations about dundalk, the manager even said he disapproves.it's silly, unimaginative and unsavoury, branding them cringe or hard men or likes is I feel an exaggeration, those chants are a bit cringe granted.'I think we'd both like to see the bad language chants gone, does it happen at nearly every ground, I'd guess yes, we're not in the territory of nastiness you'd hear at chelsea v spurs or United v pool, Celtic v rangers.I think its unfair to brand these lads like some are on here.

I have always said I dislike the chants you mention.not ideal for small kids certainly, no argument there.I just don't see it as hard man behaviour. I read the cork city players were signing it at their celebrations about dundalk, the manager even said he disapproves.it's silly, unimaginative and unsavoury, branding them cringe or hard men or likes is I feel an exaggeration, those chants are a bit cringe granted.'I think we'd both like to see the bad language chants gone, does it happen at nearly every ground, I'd guess yes, we're not in the territory of nastiness you'd hear at chelsea v spurs or United v pool, Celtic v rangers.I think its unfair to brand these lads like some are on here.

These idiots like to think they are like the firms across the irish sea and beyond. Waterford FC is a small local team where parents should be able to take their kids to watch live football without having to listen to that ****e the Block E boys spout out sometimes.

I accept it is going to happen where people are shouting at the ref or a player and as with many people we can get frustrated, annoyed etc but the abusive chanting these lads partake in is just stupid. Some of these are grown men who should know better.

These idiots like to think they are like the firms across the irish sea and beyond. Waterford FC is a small local team where parents should be able to take their kids to watch live football without having to listen to that ****e the Block E boys spout out sometimes.

I accept it is going to happen where people are shouting at the ref or a player and as with many people we can get frustrated, annoyed etc but the abusive chanting these lads partake in is just stupid. Some of these are grown men who should know better.

I don't equate/come-near some silly 'F YOUR TEAM' chanting to English hooligans et al.I just can't tar them all Witt that brush and I doubt any of them have that in mind.it's easy to avoid it too if you sit away from them or in opposite stand.

I don't equate/come-near some silly 'F YOUR TEAM' chanting to English hooligans et al.I just can't tar them all Witt that brush and I doubt any of them have that in mind.it's easy to avoid it too if you sit away from them or in opposite stand.

Why should i have to sit in the opposite stand? Iv been going down to the RSC for years and i prefer the old stand i enjoy the atmosphere there i dont particularly want to listen to the cringey chants tho.

Why should i have to sit in the opposite stand? Iv been going down to the RSC for years and i prefer the old stand i enjoy the atmosphere there i dont particularly want to listen to the cringey chants tho.

Neither do I, but you have a choice and calling these lads wannabe hooligans is way off the mark IMO.

• Advertisement

Neither do I, but you have a choice and calling these lads wannabe hooligans is way off the mark IMO.

Jayus Max you would argue with your own shadow. I said there chants were cringe, can you point out where i said they were hooligans? Is it because i likened them to having their own wannabe firm????? Well you need to educate yourself to what a football firm is as not all of them cause trouble nor did i imply them down at the Wateford games do.

I disagree with their childish chants altho some of them have got into trouble as was already pointed out so maybe they are looking to take it to the next level for their "firm".

Advertisement