Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford FC Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

greenspurs wrote: »
    John Delaney taking over Waterford ?

Nah, the students, the travellers and the foreigners are :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Just to put some context on how miserable the LOI prize money is, the bottom side in the Scottish League 2 gets £45,000 - more than double what Waterford will earn.

The FAI need to get serious about this thing before it dies on the vine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

hardybuck wrote: »
    Just to put some context on how miserable the LOI prize money is, the bottom side in the Scottish League 2 gets £45,000 - more than double what Waterford will earn.

The FAI need to get serious about this thing before it dies on the vine.

Agree, average attendance in Scotland is probably 10,000 though, at a guess. Dundalk get 110,000 Euro for winning the thing. Unless people start supporting the league, it has no hope of advancing so its not all on the FAI.if there was 4000, 5000 people down the RSC every night, the club would have plenty of money for top Irish league players, youth set up, challenging for titles, etc.

Max Powers wrote: »
    Agree, average attendance in Scotland is probably 10,000 though, at a guess. Dundalk get 110,000 Euro for winning the thing. Unless people start supporting the league, it has no hope of advancing so its not all on the FAI.if there was 4000, 5000 people down the RSC every night, the club would have plenty of money for top Irish league players, youth set up, challenging for titles, etc.

10,000!? The highest average attendance in that league was 668 last season! 7 or the 12 clubs in their Premier League get average crowds of way less than 10k (between 2-6) and they get prize money of £1.1m to £1.5m.

It's a chicken and egg situation. Clubs need to be able to invest on and off the field - and additional prize money and commercial revenue would be a catalyst for a better product.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,387 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Not eligible for Europa League entry and therefore couldn't participate.

A good finish to the season, but that would appear to be Waterford's level at the moment. All 5 teams who finished ahead are bigger clubs right now with bigger fanbases.

Tonight's placing of 6th gets them an extra €1k of prize money - €19,500 in total which is fairly pathetic.

Dundalk are a great success story, and they struggled past Waterford in a relegation playoff a few years ago thanks to an eligible striker.

However Dundalk got backed by a fund. Waterford don't have that level of backing, and 642 people turning up won't generate the funds required to get top 4.

Jesus theres players all the world getting double that amount in there weekly wages

• Advertisement

Congrats to the under 19s who won the league final 3-1 against Galway Utd

Joe Gamble has left for an Assistant Manager role at Cork.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Congrats to the under 19s who won the league final 3-1 against Galway Utd

Thats great, the talent is there in the south east, just needs coaching, facilities, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭DLS_75

The under-13s won their one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭wagtail99

DLS_75 wrote: »

I thought I read that the U13s won the 'shield'.
    Is that the main competion or a competition for teams that got knocked out in thd 1st round?

• Advertisement

DLS_75 wrote: »

Will those U13s then go back to Junior League clubs next year for U14, or how does that work?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

wagtail99 wrote: »
    I thought I read that the U13s won the 'shield'.
    Is that the main competion or a competition for teams that got knocked out in thd 1st round?

Pat's won the U-13 league proper. Not sure exactly how participation in the Shield was decided - I think Waterford were 4th in their league section.

Winning the U-19 title was an excellent achievement. 20 league games followed by the knockout phase against clubs who've invested heavily at underage level. A lot of players make the step up from U-19 to senior level in the league so the future should be bright unless the club manages to f*** things up.

Early bird on season tickets out now, good value if you are interested in going to Blues matches and supporting not only first team but the likes of this year's winning u19 and u13 teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Early bird on season tickets out now, good value if you are interested in going to Blues matches and supporting not only first team but the likes of this year's winning u19 and u13 teams.

Unless there's a move on signings etc, I think they're going to struggle to shift many.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Jerry Atrick

Shane Duggan gone to Galway...one of the few decent operators across the whole season. Interesting few months ahead...

Pat's won the U-13 league proper. Not sure exactly how participation in the Shield was decided - I think Waterford were 4th in their league section.

Winning the U-19 title was an excellent achievement. 20 league games followed by the knockout phase against clubs who've invested heavily at underage level. A lot of players make the step up from U-19 to senior level in the league so the future should be bright unless the club manages to f*** things up.

Any standout players in the U19s who might step up next season?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Any standout players in the U19s who might step up next season?

Hard to know. First step is to keep the best of them. Some already moving on. Whelan scored a lot of goals but I heard he was leaving.

It would seem logical, given the reduction in finances, to promote some of the 19s but there's no evidence of logic in the running of the club. Qualify for Europe and cut the budget for example.

Hard to know. First step is to keep the best of them. Some already moving on. Whelan scored a lot of goals but I heard he was leaving.

It would seem logical, given the reduction in finances, to promote some of the 19s but there's no evidence of logic in the running of the club. Qualify for Europe and cut the budget for example.

One would have thought that a steady stream of youth players coming through is essential for the club to be viable.

If you can't keep a lad like that for at least a couple of years you've got to be wondering what's going on down there.

Dont the under 19s go into the qualifiers for the youth champions league

One would have thought that a steady stream of youth players coming through is essential for the club to be viable.

If you can't keep a lad like that for at least a couple of years you've got to be wondering what's going on down there.

To be fair, the national structure we are in leaves a lot to be desired...13, 15, 17, 19.same all clubs.

• Advertisement

To be fair, the national structure we are in leaves a lot to be desired...13, 15, 17, 19.same all clubs.

How is that impeding Waterford in this case?

How is that impeding Waterford in this case?

It hinders every club because no consistency, why play for blues, rovers, etc at under 15 level when there is no under 16.if not good enough to make jump to u17, they are sent back to their normal junior league club. The motivation to not leave your mates in your junior club in the first place would be strong enough. If great at under 19 level, next logical step is u20/21 level but that doesnt exist so there is a chance those not good enough to go straight to first team will be lost temporarily or permanently. How many of that obviously talented u19 team would make it into last seasons first team.

It hinders every club because no consistency, why play for blues, rovers, etc at under 15 level when there is no under 16.if not good enough to make jump to u17, they are sent back to their normal junior league club. The motivation to not leave your mates in your junior club in the first place would be strong enough. If great at under 19 level, next logical step is u20/21 level but that doesnt exist so there is a chance those not good enough to go straight to first team will be lost temporarily or permanently. How many of that obviously talented u19 team would make it into last seasons first team.

Generally yes I agree with you.

However the lad Whelan is 19, and if he's scoring regular goals at that level I would expect him to be able to join the first team squad at 20.

In England they have an U23 league, but I understand it's supposed to be fairly harmless, which is why top clubs are sending guys out on loan to lower divisions to try and get them some competitive games.

Heard of a big announcement for next Monday???

Anyone here anything similar

• Registered Users Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Can I ask any Waterford fans what their thoughts are on Walter Figueira who we just signed?

I only saw him a couple of times and he looks good.

Is he a good signing for us? Do you consider him a big loss?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭south

NIMAN wrote: »
    Can I ask any Waterford fans what their thoughts are on Walter Figueira who we just signed?

I only saw him a couple of times and he looks good.

Is he a good signing for us? Do you consider him a big loss?

Yep, sorry to see him go to be honest
    Very hard worker and has the potential to score alot of goals if provided with decent service.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Deiselurker

All I saw was a post from Matt Keane on Facebook saying there would be news early next week on Waterford Fc and plans for the coming season. No idea what it is. We have been in limbo since end of season and have lost a lot of players so we need some certainty on Lee Power's plans and if Alan Reynolds is staying on to get ready for next season.
    Walter Figuiera is a good player who works hard and covers a lot of ground from midfield, wing and upfront. I didn't expect him to stay with us but it's disappointing to lose him to another club in the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Well we have most likely lost both our forwards from last season, Junior and Parkhouse, so trying to replace them is a big task.

Walter is a good start I'm guessing, especially if he has a high work rate, Devine likes that in a player!

NIMAN wrote: »
    Well we have most likely lost both our forwards from last season, Junior and Parkhouse, so trying to replace them is a big task.

Walter is a good start I'm guessing, especially if he has a high work rate, Devine likes that in a player!

I could be proved wrong but I don't think he's anywhere the near the level of either of those two lads.

Looked to me like an honest hard worker but a bit of a headless chicken. What he does have is a lot of pace, which is a rare commodity in the league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

I could be proved wrong but I don't think he's anywhere the near the level of either of those two lads.

Looked to me like an honest hard worker but a bit of a headless chicken. What he does have is a lot of pace, which is a rare commodity in the league.

Better than that, holds the ball up well, skillful, very fast. Would have liked him to stay for another while, but it looks like the club are goosed.

Advertisement