Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford FC Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Better than that, holds the ball up well, skillful, very fast. Would have liked him to stay for another while, but it looks like the club are goosed.

I think the team are better with him than without him, however he just lacked a bit of composure for me - maybe that's something a good coach would work on.

As you've said it doesn't look terribly promising at the moment with Rory Feely also rejoining St Pats. Feely is a big loss in my opinion.

You'd imagine the club will hope to start making some positive announcements before Christmas to try and get some cashflow from season tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

hardybuck wrote: »
    I think the team are better with him than without him, however he just lacked a bit of composure for me - maybe that's something a good coach would work on.

As you've said it doesn't look terribly promising at the moment with Rory Feely also rejoining St Pats. Feely is a big loss in my opinion.

You'd imagine the club will hope to start making some positive announcements before Christmas to try and get some cashflow from season tickets.
    I hope the underage teams are looked after, there are some fantastic prospects about, but the first team have lost a good few, Georgie Poynten has left as well, to Shels

I hope the underage teams are looked after, there are some fantastic prospects about, but the first team have lost a good few, Georgie Poynten has left as well, to Shels

Georgie looked to me like a grand player, definitely competent, but isn't going to be ripping up any trees anytime soon in my opinion. Again I could be wrong - perhaps someone who analyses the game better than I, and who has one of those pieces of scouting software, will have spotted some obvious potential.

The squad last year seemed to have a lot of this type of player. Is there actually much of a difference between the standard of the academy lads and what the first team squad has?

If not I'd hope to take a punt on a couple of the young lads rather than bringing lads from Dublin down, and maybe keeping funds in reserve for genuine quality signings that offer something different.

On season tickets, I note that Waterford are one of the more expensive clubs in the league.

5 clubs start their prices at the same level as Waterford (Sligo, Pat's, Bohs + Shelbourne) while only Derry have a more expensive entry point (€270).

The more expensive Waterford tickets are the second most expensive in the league (Shelbourne being higher).

There might be an element of not comparing like for like, as Waterford may be offering seats for €220 while others are offering terrace, but Waterford appear to be charging Dublin prices, and a lot more expensive than Shamrock Rovers.

Shamrock Rovers should be commended for charging €20 for children, and a child and their parent can attend games for the season for €200 which is good going.

All in all it's still quite good value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭skaface

Some good news for a change..
    Club Shop at the Rsc will be opening on December 7th selling the new Jersey, Polo shirts, Training tops etc. for the 2020 season ðŸ‘

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

why would you bother. the club is a shambles at the moment. nobody knows what the chairman is doing, rennie doesnt know whether he is manager, we have 1 player and most of the under 19 squad have already being approached by other clubs. 3 season tickets in my house. wont be renewing unless there is a plan in place and not just in the short term either.

Would Waterford be suitable for a membership model similar to what Rovers have?

Looks to be a fair deal. €50 a month, which gives you a season ticket, car parking and access to a lounge before and after games.

If people are part of something, or a member of something, they're more likely to become attached to it in the long term, maybe volunteer some time to it. Bohs seem to have a huge volunteer ethos with the club.

I'd say most of the big GAA clubs would wipe the floor with WFC in terms of organisation, member involvement etc. - all based on volunteerism.

Would Waterford be suitable for a membership model similar to what Rovers have?

Looks to be a fair deal. €50 a month, which gives you a season ticket, car parking and access to a lounge before and after games.

If people are part of something, or a member of something, they're more likely to become attached to it in the long term, maybe volunteer some time to it. Bohs seem to have a huge volunteer ethos with the club.

I'd say most of the big GAA clubs would wipe the floor with WFC in terms of organisation, member involvement etc. - all based on volunteerism.

would be a good idea but from what i hear the BSC AGM was a shambles with too many ego's left in the room. imagine if some of those gob****es were left on the committee.

i think for anything to work you need about 1k members immediately signing up with a joining fee of €500 and then €50 a month. €1100 outlay in first year. generates 1.1m in first year and then 600k per annum.But it won't work in a city like Waterford. there isn't 1000 fans with that disposable income.

Gardner wrote: »
    would be a good idea but from what i hear the BSC AGM was a shambles with too many ego's left in the room. imagine if some of those gob****es were left on the committee.

i think for anything to work you need about 1k members immediately signing up with a joining fee of €500 and then €50 a month. €1100 outlay in first year. generates 1.1m in first year and then 600k per annum.But it won't work in a city like Waterford. there isn't 1000 fans with that disposable income.

Unsure what it'd have costed Power to buy the club and settle debts, but he's probably in a position now where he'd be absolutely delighted to recoup his investment - that's probably an unrealistic prospect.

European football was an avenue but that looks a remote prospect in the near future. The only other potential payday is getting money from a young player's transfer. Not privy to the contracts in place, but likelihood is that their assets will walk for free.

So no chance of the company being worth a million or anywhere close to it.

Many clubs have an entrance fee, and if he could sell 49% to a fan's trust of 1,000 members paying 250, suddenly he's got €250k for an asset he'd probably get feck all for currently. If those members bring in €600k in annual revenue via annual membership subs, the club suddenly has a sustainable revenue stream.

If you get members in a member's bar eating and drinking before and after games, maybe playing a weekly raffle, you've also got additional cash flow.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Heard of a big announcement for next Monday???

Anyone here anything similar

Did anything come in the end?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,387 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Did anything come in the end?

Latest on the facebook group is that the club shop is open with the new range of jerseys/polos etc and news on signings will be coming very soon

Still no word about Rennie

Latest on the facebook group is that the club shop is open with the new range of jerseys/polos etc and news on signings will be coming very soon

Still no word about Rennie

The FAI situation can't be helping planning for the year ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Muttley79

Ex-Ireland international Daryl Murphy 'not proud' after being banned for taking cocaine https://the42.ie/4924657
    On a slight different topic.but he should be ashamed of himself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Muttley79 wrote: »
    should be ashamed of himself

I think he is going by the article.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Why is John Delaney loved so much by some members?

Why is John Delaney loved so much by some members?
    Has been good to the club over the years apparently and his father was involved, so there's a family connection. Also, he's from Waterford.

New home kit being unveiled today apparently.. Just in time for Christmas loll

skaface wrote: »
    Has been good to the club over the years apparently and his father was involved, so there's a family connection. Also, he's from Waterford.

nothing from this quote is actually true

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Then I guess you had best edit this to reflect the 'truth'
    Born in Waterford, John Delaney is one of five children of Joe and Joan Delaney. His siblings are a brother, Paul, and three sisters, Joanne, Jane and Mary Pat.[3] His family were removed to County Tipperary when he was about three, and he grew up later in Tipperary Town. As a schoolboy he played Gaelic games as well as soccer, and lined out for St Michaels of Tipperary and Tralee Celtic of Kerry.[4]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Delaney_(football_administrator)

Is Delaney definitely Waterford born, and did he definitely grow up in Tipp and play for those teams?

I've heard him being described as the Scarlet Pimpernel before because there was so much uncertainty about this kind of stuff.

Previously, while a Directer of Waterford United, he criticised FAI plans to build Eircom Park, citing his opinion as a Chartered Accountant that the plans weren't a runner. He subsequently had to admit that he wasn't a Chartered Accountant, stating that he'd passed the necessary exams but didn't apply for membership of the Association - which is utterly strange.

I've then heard lads from those junior clubs that were around his age who never remember him playing football.

• Advertisement

That's in your opinion.. I've heard from plenty that he was liked by many in the club.
    Lee Power, the owner has said on numerous occasions that he was very helpful to the club over the years and especially in the last few years in particular .. Also, I meant that he had a house in Waterford AFAIK when saying that he was from Waterford..
    I have No affiliation to Delaney whatsoever, just saying what I know..
    Been following the Blues for many years myself.. Hopefully we start getting a few signings in the coming weeks for the season ahead.

New Home kit for the New Season

• Registered Users Posts: 38,387 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Zak Elbouzedi gone to the English League one to play with Lincoln City

No word on who's in our squad for 2020. Looks like we will be a mid table club at best unless a freak happens.

No word on who's in our squad for 2020. Looks like we will be a mid table club at best unless a freak happens.

mid table in the first division in 2021 more like it. club is ****ed and finger must be pointed at Lee Power.

I think that's a good move for him in fairness - they got promoted last year and they have an excellent supporter base. Average attendance in L2 last year was over 9k and they took an average of 1,400 to away games.

Waterford staying in the league in any shape or form will be seen as a success at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

mid table in the first division in 2021 more like it. club is ****ed and finger must be pointed at Lee Power.

It's frustrating but where would we be without him in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

How can you blame Power? He rescued the club a few years back. Appears to have been very badly advised by the FAI in relation to the European situation which must have been extremely frustrating for him considering the money he had pumped in. I don’t blame him for looking to offload the club. When things started going south this year, the crowds starting dwindling instead of getting behind the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Lee power has confirmed he will finance the club for 2020. also confirmed that Alan Reynolds is staying on as manager too.

really good news, hopefully some quality players are signed quickly and everyone backs the club now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Second that.....and Waterford people get behind the club, either that or we certainly will not have top division football here much longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Johnny Matthew's died aged 73. Great character and great player, sad news, RIP Johnny.

Advertisement