Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford FC Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Johnny Matthew's died aged 73. Great character and great player, sad news, RIP Johnny.

A gent and you could have bit of craic when he was reffing. Rip

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Johnny Matthew's died aged 73. Great character and great player, sad news, RIP Johnny.

RIP one of the sweetest players I watched play for Waterford.

Sure brings back memories .....

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭skaface

RIP one of the sweetest players I watched play for Waterford.

Sure brings back memories .....

A Legend for the Blues and a gentleman. Rip Johnny, you will be sadly missed by the people of Waterford and beyond.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,424 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

A great man...
    Had great craic with him in the reffing days …. rip.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭sitkaspruce

I'm sure we can all tell stories about our encounters with Johnny as a ref, he was a rogue!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,424 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

I'm sure we can all tell stories about our encounters with Johnny as a ref, he was a rogue!

I was a ref with him !! So I know !! :D:D:D:D:D

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 38,387 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Few new signings with some even ex Cork city players

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Few new signings with some even ex Cork city players

I saw Graham Cummins had signed - has there been more?

Mikey Drennan from Kilkenny has left Sligo also. Could be a potential signing - but I gather that he won't be missed too much up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

hardybuck wrote: »

Mikey Drennan from Kilkenny has left Sligo also. Could be a potential signing - but I gather that he won't be missed too much up there.[/QUOTE]

Hardly missed given he left Sligo for Pat's a year ago.

Cape Clear wrote: »

Mikey Drennan from Kilkenny has left Sligo also. Could be a potential signing - but I gather that he won't be missed too much up there.[/QUOTE]

Hardly missed given he left Sligo for Pat's a year ago.

You're right, left Sligo for Pat's - but I understand not missed in either.

• Advertisement

Squad ATM

Goalkeepers: Tadhg Ryan

Defenders: Darragh Power, Kevin O’Connor

Midfielders: Will Fitzgerald, Shane Griffin, John Martin, Sam Bone, Scott Allardice

Forwards: Dean Walsh, Graham Cummins

First pre season friendly is Vs Wexford FC on the 18th Jan at IT Carlow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

i can see the front page of the news and Star next week with today's signing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Muttley79

heres hoping Waterford fc get off to a good start and hang on in there

Gardner wrote: »
    i can see the front page of the news and Star next week with today's signing :D

Michael O'Connor?

Suppose to be signing ex man city player tyreke wilson

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Michael O'Connor?

Just the ticket

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

We've signed Robbie McCourt today

https://www.waterfordfc.ie/robbie-mccourt-signs/

0-0 today against Shamrock Rovers in a friendly for the late Sheamy Coad

Played well apparently esp new signing Ali Coote who is a former Brentford B team player

Bray Wanderers at 2pm today in the Rsc.. Another preseason game in preparation for the new season, only two weeks away.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Cuttlefish

skaface wrote: »
    Bray Wanderers at 2pm today in the Rsc.. Another preseason game in preparation for the new season, only two weeks away.

Did you go to the game?

If so how did the Blues look?

• Advertisement

Cuttlefish wrote: »
    Did you go to the game?

If so how did the Blues look?
    Didn't make it to the game today, so cant comment myself, but from what I heard it was a good workout for the Blues
    They won 1-0 , O'Conner the scorer with a free kick

skaface wrote: »
    Didn't make it to the game today, so cant comment myself, but from what I heard it was a good workout for the Blues
    They won 1-0 , O'Conner the scorer with a free kick

there having a supporters down in the mansion tonight all the players look so young. Not a bad crowd

the aim for this season is to stay up and finish mid table but have heard from a few lads in the know that we could do a lot better than everyone thinks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

PTH2009 wrote: »
    there having a supporters down in the mansion tonight all the players look so young. Not a bad crowd

the aim for this season is to stay up and finish mid table but have heard from a few lads in the know that we could do a lot better than everyone thinks

They’ve put together a very good squad so far considering the budget constraints I presume they’re under. Fair play to Rennie, but the proof will be in the pudding once the league starts back.

Can see us doing similar to last year, maybe a tiny bit more of a challenge for Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

They’ve put together a very good squad so far considering the budget constraints I presume they’re under. Fair play to Rennie, but the proof will be in the pudding once the league starts back.

Can see us doing similar to last year, maybe a tiny bit more of a challenge for Europe.

The squad is too thin to sustain any kind of challenge for Europe. The other teams with European ambitions have recruited well (on paper). But we shouldn't be in relegation trouble either.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Blues looked decent enough down in the RSC early days yet and the squad still has to gel but some very good moves pieced together

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Nypd wrote: »
    Blues looked decent enough down in the RSC early days yet and the squad still has to gel but some very good moves pieced together

Good to hear.Not long till start too, be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Article published today makes for an interesting read.
    Lee Power critical of the FAI’s handling of the European fiasco.
    https://www.the42.ie/lee-power-interview-2-4991238-Feb2020/

Interesting in a number of ways.

I was struck by his disappointment in attendances. I can see where he's coming from, the city needs to support the club if it is to prosper, and Swindon's lowest attendance this season in League 2 was about 7k.

However I was really surprised that he didn't feel that he should do anything to help encourage people to attend. I think his analogy with Millwall isn't relevant to Ireland as most people here will support multiple sports, particularly when things are going well, and maybe he doesn't fully understand that.

There is absolutely loads the club could, and should, be doing to up numbers. Shamrock Rovers have done an amazing job in terms of engaging children and young people, offering parents very affordable family tickets etc. This is something Waterford could very easily replicate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

Interesting in a number of ways.

I was struck by his disappointment in attendances. I can see where he's coming from, the city needs to support the club if it is to prosper, and Swindon's lowest attendance this season in League 2 was about 7k.

However I was really surprised that he didn't feel that he should do anything to help encourage people to attend. I think his analogy with Millwall isn't relevant to Ireland as most people here will support multiple sports, particularly when things are going well, and maybe he doesn't fully understand that.

There is absolutely loads the club could, and should, be doing to up numbers. Shamrock Rovers have done an amazing job in terms of engaging children and young people, offering parents very affordable family tickets etc. This is something Waterford could very easily replicate.

the commercial manager is (rub)bing up fans the wrong way it seems. A lot of infighting going on between fans and the Supporters Club over the past few months didn't help things either. i didn't renew my season ticket along with the young lads. will be going to away games only for the moment.

• Advertisement

From Facebook

'🎟️ | Some good news for a Wednesday afternoon.

Ahead of our two opening games against Bohemians and Shamrock Rovers, we've removed the handling fee on tickets purchased for these two games.

Head to WaterfordFC.ie/tickets now or follow the link in our bio.

#WeAreWaterfordFC #WeAreBlues #WFCvBFC #WFCvSRFC '

Advertisement