Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford FC Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

Supposedly O Connor is out with sickness tonight, Rennie is known for telling a few porkies in regards to team news so hopefully he plays cause he'd give Rovers back line a tormenting. He looked good vs Bohs at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭dk1982

Nypd wrote: »
    Yep all advertising changed to 7pm
    Change came from the FAI

Ridiculous that. Just text my dad to tell him (he goes to every game) and he had no idea. Would have rocked up for a 7.45 game if i hadnt text him.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,387 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Another bad night 2-0 home loss to Rovers

Away to Sligo on Saturday which I think will be our level in this league. 5th-10th is what the battle will be for us and maybe a cup run if we get favourable draws

Not doing ourselves any favours. Early O.G. from one centre half and a sending off for the other a few mins later. Did well to keep it at 0-2 for the rest of the game. Still a very new team so hopefully will gel soon. 1702 a decent attendance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

A bad start no doubt after OG and red, after that, have to credit grit shown by players, defensively mainly for people not there. Rovers are a quality quality side, clearly, they put six past cork Friday.move on now and hopefully picking up points away at weekend and next home game, Derry I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

In the three games so far they seem to be playing very deep and don't have much possession. Last year passing was fairly awful any of the times I got to see them.

Understandable tonight playing against a team of that quality with ten men, but they need to get a bit of quality in the midfield if they're to get mid table.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Tough start to the season for the young blues.
    Thought they showed glimpses of quality Sam Bone in particular.
    Again hard to judge against Rovers they have a real quality side can see them pushing Dundalk this season.
    Very important now to take our points against the likes of Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

The club is in trouble if they dont start winning games. It seems all is not well. Something drastic needs to happen in order to kick start the season and get the feel good factor back again. Iv said it before and ill say it again...Rennie is not up to it. Time to change.

Would anyone be in a position to estimate how Waterford's budget would compare with others in the league?

1,700 odd is a grand attendance for a Monday night, but they're probably towards the bottom of the league in terms of attendances?

alta stare wrote: »
    The club is in trouble if they dont start winning games. It seems all is not well. Something drastic needs to happen in order to kick start the season and get the feel good factor back again. Iv said it before and ill say it again...Rennie is not up to it. Time to change.

You're some drama queen.

• Advertisement

dk1982 wrote: »
    You're some drama queen.

Thanks. What a well thought out reply. You will go far in life. Xx.

Thanks. What a well thought out reply. You will go far in life. Xx.

I really don't think I could have said anymore than that.

I really don't think I could have said anymore than that.

:D i know you couldn't of i can tell. Some things are beyond the mental capacity of certain people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

You're some drama queen.

3 games in, one win, two losses, one against one of the top two. Time to panic and change manager...ridiculous talk.

Okay let's take stock here, Blues won away to a new strong Pats, great 3 points. Bohs was a lottery in the weather, poor second half yes but they were shattered and the weather died down for the most part. Rovers, early OG, Red Card chasing shadows from there on in against one of the best sides in the country. Bohs and Rovers full time teams, together few months, Blues together a few weeks and lots of loan players, it's going to take time. Judging this team after 3 matches is nuts and short sighted.

Okay let's take stock here, Blues won away to a new strong Pats, great 3 points. Bohs was a lottery in the weather, poor second half yes but they were shattered and the weather died down for the most part. Rovers, early OG, Red Card chasing shadows from there on in against one of the best sides in the country. Bohs and Rovers full time teams, together few months, Blues together a few weeks and lots of loan players, it's going to take time. Judging this team after 3 matches is nuts and short sighted.

I would agree that a couple of posters have jumped the gun, but would you agree that it looks as if Waterford will be hoping to avoid relegation?

With so much chopping and changing of players from season to season it's really hard to know what realistic expectations are.

That's why I was wondering what type of budget have relative to others in the league.

hardybuck wrote: »
    I would agree that a couple of posters have jumped the gun, but would you agree that it looks as if Waterford will be hoping to avoid relegation?

With so much chopping and changing of players from season to season it's really hard to know what realistic expectations are.

That's why I was wondering what type of budget have relative to others in the league.

I personally think outside of Dundalk, Rovers and Bohs there's very little between the rest (other than Cork who i think are certs for automatic relegation). A good run and we could push for 4th or 5th.

Bit dramatic after 3 games
    Rovers are a cut above the rest.
    Bohs played in a monsoon.
    Keep the faith

Bit dramatic after 3 games
    Rovers are a cut above the rest.
    Bohs played in a monsoon.
    Keep the faith

Not just the 3 games this season. Last season wasnt much good either. Im not trying to be negative it is purely realism. Id love to see us challenge for Europe and im sorry but it is clear it wont happen with Rennie there and id be very wary of Lee Power hanging around much longer if we dont get European football.

Max Powers wrote: »
    3 games in, one win, two losses, one against one of the top two. Time to panic and change manager...ridiculous talk.

This just isnt about 3 games though and you are blissfully ignoring last season. Iv nothing at all against Rennie i just think he has taken us as far as he can.

• Advertisement

Pats are hit and miss. I agree they have a good squad though. Good win of course.

Bohs and Rovers are well ahead of us and i accept that. As i have already said in my posts above i am not basing my opinion on 3 games.

I also accept this is a new squad which are not familar with each other so they will take time to bed in. My fear is that we will struggle again under Rennie and end up the same as last season. Another fresh approach might just gel things quicker for us and that can then be built on.

Pats are hit and miss. I agree they have a good squad though. Good win of course.

Bohs and Rovers are well ahead of us and i accept that. As i have already said in my posts above i am not basing my opinion on 3 games.

I also accept this is a new squad which are not familar with each other so they will take time to bed in. My fear is that we will struggle again under Rennie and end up the same as last season. Another fresh approach might just gel things quicker for us and that can then be built on.

Problem with the blues is we seem to start from scratch every year

And no young players from the area seem to be coming through.

I personally think outside of Dundalk, Rovers and Bohs there's very little between the rest (other than Cork who i think are certs for automatic relegation). A good run and we could push for 4th or 5th.

I think Cork and Finn Harps will be in the relegation places, and Waterford will hope to get somewhere above that and maybe as far as mid table.

It appears that Waterford are one of the worst supported teams in the league. I'd be surprised if commercial revenue was much better. Unless Power is pumping money in, the club is bound to struggle to get quality players in without a seriously creative or efficient recruitment strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Twice a year, even.

Let's be honest here and break last season into the two parts it was and you massively undervalue what Rennie does for the club, the next Ireland manager highly recommends Rennie has one of the best coaches in the lge. He's the glue holding the club together, we are very lucky to have him. Look at the results he got after the cull last season where he lost brilliant players mid season and how quick he put together his "second different team of the season" Waterford were one of the form teams in the league in the second half of the season. This new Blues side will beat most everyone else after Rovers and Dundalk. Once they gel it'll be a side to push towards mid table and maybe beyond. Take Rennie away and watch the club fall to pieces. The grass isn't always greener. Won The First Division, got us European football ( robbed off that but still finished in that position) kept us up after a full new squad in the second half of the season. Literally kept the club from folding this preseason due to him convincing Power to stay on, at the very minimum he's earned time and alot more respect.
    If you still want a change after this information then I can't help you anymore.

I think Cork and Finn Harps will be in the relegation places, and Waterford will hope to get somewhere above that and maybe as far as mid table.

It appears that Waterford are one of the worst supported teams in the league. I'd be surprised if commercial revenue was much better. Unless Power is pumping money in, the club is bound to struggle to get quality players in without a seriously creative or efficient recruitment strategy.
    Agreed in the attendance, Waterford has to be the most fickle football county in the land, for the amount of people that play football the support is terrible. Rovers home last season was 4.5k, like where da funk have most of them gone? It's crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

And no young players from the area seem to be coming through.

Jack Larkin

gscully wrote: »
    Jack Larkin

Shane Griffin too

• Advertisement

Agreed in the attendance, Waterford has to be the most fickle football county in the land, for the amount of people that play football the support is terrible. Rovers home last season was 4.5k, like where da funk have most of them gone? It's crazy.

That was a Friday tho with European football on the horizon and the season opener.
    Monsoon weather v Bohs would have had a drastic effect on attendance.

Advertisement