Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford FC Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jay1988

Let's be honest here and break last season into the two parts it was and you massively undervalue what Rennie does for the club, the next Ireland manager highly recommends Rennie has one of the best coaches in the lge. He's the glue holding the club together, we are very lucky to have him. Look at the results he got after the cull last season where he lost brilliant players mid season and how quick he put together his "second different team of the season" Waterford were one of the form teams in the league in the second half of the season. This new Blues side will beat most everyone else after Rovers and Dundalk. Once they gel it'll be a side to push towards mid table and maybe beyond. Take Rennie away and watch the club fall to pieces. The grass isn't always greener. Won The First Division, got us European football ( robbed off that but still finished in that position) kept us up after a full new squad in the second half of the season. Literally kept the club from folding this preseason due to him convincing Power to stay on, at the very minimum he's earned time and alot more respect.
    If you still want a change after this information then I can't help you anymore.

You weren't "robbed" of anything, your chairman and the FAI tried to pull a fast one and circumvent existing rules and got caught so you didn't receive a licence, and rightly so, you got just what you deserved in that situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

jay1988 wrote: »
    You weren't "robbed" of anything, your chairman and the FAI tried to pull a fast one and circumvent existing rules and got caught so you didn't receive a licence, and rightly so, you got just what you deserved in that situation.

Pull a fast one, give over will ya. Uefa were in Waterford with the owner and FAI to check out the facilities so everything in regards to Waterfords stand point was legit. As a club we were doing all the right things so we weren't trying to "pull a fast one" we were given assurances by the FAI so as a club could only go on those. If we weren't credible for a licence then the FAI should of told us, the speed at which they put Pat's in was incredible. This nearly cost the club its future so the owner definitely didn't know he was being led on by the FAI. As proven the FAI were very underhanded. Nobody assures sponsorships if they aren't confident in delivering in this case European football to the tune of 250k.

Nypd wrote: »
    That was a Friday tho with European football on the horizon and the season opener.
    Monsoon weather v Bohs would have had a drastic effect on attendance.

I think 2,400 is a great return for weather that it was & 1,700 on Monday is decent too but the public are so up and down in Waterford, the slightest thing gives them any excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jay1988

Pull a fast one, give over will ya. Uefa were in Waterford with the owner and FAI to check out the facilities so everything in regards to Waterfords stand point was legit. As a club we were doing all the right things so we weren't trying to "pull a fast one" we were given assurances by the FAI so as a club could only go on those. If we weren't credible for a licence then the FAI should of told us, the speed at which they put Pat's in was incredible. This nearly cost the club its future so the owner definitely didn't know he was being led on by the FAI. As proven the FAI were very underhanded. Nobody assures sponsorships if they aren't confident in delivering in this case European football to the tune of 250k.

Exactly, "assurances" from the FAI, even though you knew the rules were in place to stop new clubs forming, walking away from debts and then competing in Europe, so you tried to circumvent the rules, also very underhanded. Pats got the place and rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I think 2,400 is a great return for weather that it was & 1,700 on Monday is decent too but the public are so up and down in Waterford, the slightest thing gives them any excuse.

How many went into Walsh Park on the Sunday?

Fact of the matter is that Waterford is a huge football town, as are the areas around it. Places like Sligo get a better average attendance, and Waterford would be in the bottom two or three in the league in terms of attendances, which indicates the challenge the club faces in generating revenue.

• Advertisement

jay1988 wrote: »
    Exactly, "assurances" from the FAI, even though you knew the rules were in place to stop new clubs forming, walking away from debts and then competing in Europe, so you tried to circumvent the rules, also very underhanded. Pats got the place and rightly so.

You aren't getting the point, obviously when the club were being bought the owner was given assurances that we can go for European football and they're wouldn't be an issue so the club relied on the governing body like any club would do. You telling me every other club in that situation wouldn't go with the advice from the governing body? Pat's took the chance given to them but they didn't earn it, Blues finished ahead of them legally on points, in the league and that can't be disputed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

hardybuck wrote: »

Fact of the matter is that Waterford is a huge football town, as are the areas around it. Places like Sligo get a better average attendance, and Waterford would be in the bottom two or three in the league in terms of attendances, which indicates the challenge the club faces in generating revenue.

Last year's average, according to extratime.ie, was 1600. Even getting that up to 2000 would be a healthy number. That would be more than Pat's and Sligo.

Mid summer, when we've had relatively little to play for, and lost a lot of key players probably hadn't helped the last couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

There were 3662 in Walsh Park on Sunday apparently.

Sports attendances in Waterford are poor generally. Walsh Park wasn't full for championship games last summer despite not having had a home championship game for years.

I can understand Power's frustration - he's put significant money in and it looks like people couldn't be arsed.

noby wrote: »
    Last year's average, according to extratime.ie, was 1600. Even getting that up to 2000 would be a healthy number. That would be more than Pat's and Sligo.

Mid summer, when we've had relatively little to play for, and lost a lot of key players probably hadn't helped the last couple of years.

You would think it's easier to get ppl down in the summer then the winter. The fact is the support is too fickle, they blow hot and cold, I was like that myself a few years back. Same with Monday night's, should get alot more down, there's funk all on on a Monday night so not many excuses really.

There were 3662 in Walsh Park on Sunday apparently.

Sports attendances in Waterford are poor generally. Walsh Park wasn't full for championship games last summer despite not having had a home championship game for years.

I can understand Power's frustration - he's put significant money in and it looks like people couldn't be arsed.

I would agree with you that people in Waterford aren't great for turning up for things. Same could be said for music or other shows. I think there Walsh Park wasn't full because of Health and Safety restrictions, but I wouldn't split hairs over that.

Power has been clear - people need to start supporting the thing because he can't keep underwriting it - which is completely fair and understandable.

I was however very surprised by his attitude to encouraging support - he doesn't seem to think the club should be doing much in that regard, which is pretty troubling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I was however very surprised by his attitude to encouraging support - he doesn't seem to think the club should be doing much in that regard, which is pretty troubling.

True. Rovers, Pat's and Bohs have very extensive 'community outreach' programmes involving links with schools and clubs in their catchment areas. (These are just the ones I'm most aware of).

It seems logical to get supporters involved as young as possible. Is there anything similar in Waterford?

True. Rovers, Pat's and Bohs have very extensive 'community outreach' programmes involving links with schools and clubs in their catchment areas. (These are just the ones I'm most aware of).

It seems logical to get supporters involved as young as possible. Is there anything similar in Waterford?

Bohs Foundation is a charitable foundation that aims to improve the health and wellbeing of the community. They have outreach programmes with migrants, pensioners, people in prisons, intellectual disabilities - a huge amount going on. Apparently they've sold so many season tickets there will only be around 200 tickets on general sale for all their games this year.

Rovers have indeed done huge work to encourage kids and families to attend - reflected in their ticket prices also, and they've also got a supporters clubhouse and bar on site etc.

Waterford seemed to do a scholarship programme with WIT a few years back, but it doesn't seem to have taken off in any big way - could be wrong though.

If Waterford were cute they'd be in the schools handing out plenty of free tickets - as the RSC has loads of spare capacity. They should also be working with clubs in Dungarvan, Kilmac, Kilkenny etc. to get young lads down - maybe they are but I'm not aware of it.

Bohs Foundation is a charitable foundation that aims to improve the health and wellbeing of the community. They have outreach programmes with migrants, pensioners, people in prisons, intellectual disabilities - a huge amount going on. Apparently they've sold so many season tickets there will only be around 200 tickets on general sale for all their games this year.

Rovers have indeed done huge work to encourage kids and families to attend - reflected in their ticket prices also, and they've also got a supporters clubhouse and bar on site etc.

Waterford seemed to do a scholarship programme with WIT a few years back, but it doesn't seem to have taken off in any big way - could be wrong though.

If Waterford were cute they'd be in the schools handing out plenty of free tickets - as the RSC has loads of spare capacity. They should also be working with clubs in Dungarvan, Kilmac, Kilkenny etc. to get young lads down - maybe they are but I'm not aware of it.

Totally agree the club doesn't do enough community wise, the aforementioned places, especially Kilkenny with no local LOI team, I know few lads come from Kilkenny you watch Blues matches. Last season at one the games Spanish students came in with discounted tickets and they brought a huge amount with them, it was great to see and more needs to be done. Even Pats last yeast had kids 5 a side matches at HT stuff like brings on kids and their families. No entertainment at HT really, speaking to Swindon fans (Power's other cub) they are very poor at that also. Like said previously the ppl running it wouldn't be friendly faces or have that personal touch. When Heery and Co played they done alot with the community. Even the likes of visiting schools is such an easy thing to kick start the community interest. Pre-season there was lowering of ticket prices which was a good incentive but in the actual season there seems little drive to be innovative to get bums on seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

You would think it's easier to get ppl down in the summer then the winter. The fact is the support is too fickle, they blow hot and cold, I was like that myself a few years back. Same with Monday night's, should get alot more down, there's funk all on on a Monday night so not many excuses really.

The evidence doesn't back up your theory that there should be a lot more down on a Monday night - every club suffers.
    I reckon people / families are into their midweek mindset - home from work, dinner on, homework etc. etc.

The league seems to have two tactics to counteract this - have a big gate puller on the Monday, or have a long distance match that probably wouldn't draw much away support anyway. We have both these this year with Rovers and Derry.

Summer also, has so many other distractions vying for our attention.
    Rather than calling people fickle (and I'm not having a pop at you) the club should be looking at ways to encourage people to come anyway, even if the sun is shining, the bbq is calling, and there's a less-than-thrilling mid-table clash on.

noby wrote: »
    The evidence doesn't back up your theory that there should be a lot more down on a Monday night - every club suffers.
    I reckon people / families are into their midweek mindset - home from work, dinner on, homework etc. etc.

The league seems to have two tactics to counteract this - have a big gate puller on the Monday, or have a long distance match that probably wouldn't draw much away support anyway. We have both these this year with Rovers and Derry.

Summer also, has so many other distractions vying for our attention.
    Rather than calling people fickle (and I'm not having a pop at you) the club should be looking at ways to encourage people to come anyway, even if the sun is shining, the bbq is calling, and there's a less-than-thrilling mid-table clash on.

I just feels it's an easy out whereas if ppl area invested in the club especially sitting in the RSC in good weather is a beautiful thing lol compared to those freezing cold nights in spring+ autumn. The BBQ is a good idea actually, summer BBQ inside the ground so people to have their food and to adapt to the different seasons and have more fun element. The issue is the club don't seem to do anything extra to attract the ppl in the gate in terms of incentives. Pre match to even have a place kids can fire away a few shots and have interactive ways to entertain fans. The Supporters club are great but I'm sure they can only give the ideas and it's up to the club to make them happen. There's huge scope to do better with the MatchDay experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

I just feels it's an easy out whereas if ppl area invested in the club especially sitting in the RSC in good weather is a beautiful thing lol compared to those freezing cold nights in spring+ autumn. The BBQ is a good idea actually, summer BBQ inside the ground so people to have their food and to adapt to the different seasons and have more fun element. The issue is the club don't seem to do anything extra to attract the ppl in the gate in terms of incentives. Pre match to even have a place kids can fire away a few shots and have interactive ways to entertain fans. The Supporters club are great but I'm sure they can only give the ideas and it's up to the club to make them happen. There's huge scope to do better with the MatchDay experience.

Im sure they would love to have you help out on promotions like that if you let them know.

Max Powers wrote: »
    Im sure they would love to have you help out on promotions like that if you let them know.

Brilliant, have you any email I can send them on my ideas?

Brilliant, have you any email I can send them on my ideas?

Look it up yourself or next time you are down there speak to someone involved.

Max Powers wrote: »
    Look it up yourself or next time you are down there speak to someone involved.

Why have you got so thick about it? Just throwing around ideas cause I actually care about the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Why have you got so thick about it? Just throwing around ideas cause I actually care about the club.

I think your reading into his replies a bit much. He just suggesting that you volunteer , I'm sure they would be delighted to have you involved.

• Advertisement

debok wrote: »
    I think your reading into his replies a bit much. He just suggesting that you volunteer , I'm sure they would be delighted to have you involved.

Possibly after reading it again, if so my bad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Match v Sligo has been postponed due to weather.
    Good common sense decision

Helps with recovery after a tough opening especially the soaking v Bohs and the chasing shadows v Rovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Helps with recovery after a tough opening especially the soaking v Bohs and the chasing shadows v Rovers.

Bohs match should have been off too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Red/Orange warning up that way so yeah it is a good sensible decision.

No weather warning in place for that game tho

Yeah, agree, no weather for football.

Good idea from the club with the #LightUpTheRSC campaign

• Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Late win tonight at home to Derry City, wonderful goal by Shane Griffin to win it . Next up is a trip to Shelbourne which is a winnable game

• Advertisement

Two goals tonight were stunning,
    3 points against Shels and then mug Cork at home

Advertisement