Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford FC Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

The amusing thing for me is when certain people attending LOI games try to emulate fan culture from England and other countries.

It isn't limited to Ireland either, interesting read about fans in America trying to copy English football culture: https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/kwz9wm/aaaa-flag

I know the Ireland fans put a lot of effort into creating a singing section for games, and it definitely helped improve the atmosphere at games. But whoever is involved in those sections need to self police and ensure that their behaviour reflects well on the team/club. Any fellas seen behaving badly at Ireland games abroad will be put into line fairly quickly, and hopefully the same attitude is taken by the 'Blues Ultras'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Two great goals in fairness. Early doors but imo the late one is definitely GOM material ( and the 1st one not far behind it.) both crackers.

As for cringe worthy chants- I love the boys in the shed in Oriel 99% of the time, and they are great getting behind the team. But when they start that chant ‘ your sh**e and you know you are’, I and a lot of others around me cringe. When I challenged one of them a few years ago about it he replied,’ I didn’t write it - I only sing it’. Go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

joeysoap wrote: »
    confused:Two great goals in fairness. Early doors but imo the late one is definitely GOM material ( and the 1st one not far behind it.) both crackers.

As for cringe worthy chants- I love the boys in the shed in Oriel 99% of the time, and they are great getting behind the team. But when they start that chant ‘ your sh**e and you know you are’, I and a lot of others around me cringe. When I challenged one of them a few years ago about it he replied,’ I didn’t write it - I only sing it’. Go figure.

I think this applies to practically every football ground in the world, some chants or silly but we'd be worse of for not having most of it add to the atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

In regards to the Block E and broken seats issues is the club have been paying for these broken seats for years but now we've owners who are questioning the breaking of seats and they area entitled to, 12k is the figure is being stated about the cost of repairing broken seats. If I was an owner I wouldn't just be replacing seats on a whim without finding out why, any sound business would question it, especially when the money isn't flowing into the club. If a section is used by a certain group of affiliated supporters then they need to take responsibility. There's not enough mature conversations on this, the only way forward is to have these meetings with the club in a mature adult manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭skaface

In regards to the Block E and broken seats issues is the club have been paying for these broken seats for years but now we've owners who are questioning the breaking of seats and they area entitled to, 12k is the figure is being stated about the cost of repairing broken seats. If I was an owner I wouldn't just be replacing seats on a whim without finding out why, any sound business would question it, especially when the money isn't flowing into the club. If a section is used by a certain group of affiliated supporters then they need to take responsibility. There's not enough mature conversations on this, the only way forward is to have these meetings with the club in a mature adult manner.

Exactly.. But isn't it the Council who own the Rsc.. As I said before, it's up to the stewards to enforce on match night.. Anyone caught standing on a seat be given one verbal warning, and if caught again face a ban for a few games.. That would put a stop to it fast.. Security on match nights is a joke, just look at what Away fans get away with on match nights at the Rsc, Blues fans don't get away with anything like that anywhere else in the country.

• Advertisement

skaface wrote: »
    Exactly.. But isn't it the Council who own the Rsc.. As I said before, it's up to the stewards to enforce on match night.. Anyone caught standing on a seat be given one verbal warning, and if caught again face a ban for a few games.. That would put a stop to it fast.. Security on match nights is a joke, just look at what Away fans get away with on match nights at the Rsc, Blues fans don't get away with anything like that anywhere else in the country.

Fully agree, anytime Blues whip out a flare it's all guns blazing on the Facebook page to ban fellas and fines the club has to pay, say every club brings flares to RSC. The Stewards need to be tougher for sure. Hard to police a verbal warning system though. The security are too friendly to police it like that. Council owns it but the club area responsible for it for MatchDay and every time they use it as far as I'm aware. Talks of CCTV being put in would not be a bad thing. LOI revenue is right enough without spending it on seats that aren't being respected no matter how old the seats are.

All LOI games off for the next two weeks at least due to the Corona virus

This is a disaster generally, but particularly for the FAI and LOI.

Clubs rely heavily on gate receipts, I wouldn't be surprised if a couple of teams run out of money over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Block E boys set up a GoFundMe page for the squad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

What a ridiculous idea!
    Football should be the last thing on people's minds at the moment. I'd rather people spent their money on family, friends etc. while **** gets real with Corona virus. Lee Power is a wealthy man, WFC is his business and his club. Simples! Cop on lads

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Gardner wrote: »
    What a ridiculous idea!
    Football should be the last thing on people's minds at the moment. I'd rather people spent their money on family, friends etc. while **** gets real with Corona virus. Lee Power is a wealthy man, WFC is his business and his club. Simples! Cop on lads

Maybe they consider the players friends, and their doing what you say you want people to do , spending on friends etc

debok wrote: »
    Maybe they consider the players friends, and their doing what you say you want people to do , spending on friends etc

They are employed by Lee Power a millionaire who owns the business that is WFC. Maybe then they should setup GoFundMe pages for their friends outside of football.

They are employed by Lee Power a millionaire who owns the business that is WFC. Maybe then they should setup GoFundMe pages for their friends outside of football.

No one is forcing you to make a donation.. It's an idea in the best interests of the club, by supporters. Their heart is in the right place.. Stop being so negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

What a ridiculous idea!

To be fair i don't think it is a ridiculous idea although i do get where you are coming from. I like many are facing the threat of being off work and unpaid for a period of time and there wont be a go fund me page for us.

Lee Power im sure could if he wanted to pay his staff during this time of crisis. Perhaps when he sees the fans/community get behind the club in the manner above he will be more inclined to keep moving the club forward. Perhaps he sees people care for the club and fans want to be part of anything which helps the club and that is enough to see him commit to keeping the club alive. So yeah in the grand scheme of things it isnt a ridiculous idea.

alta stare wrote: »
    To be fair i don't think it is a ridiculous idea although i do get where you are coming from. I like many are facing the threat of being off work and unpaid for a period of time and there wont be a go fund me page for us.

Lee Power im sure could if he wanted to pay his staff during this time of crisis. Perhaps when he sees the fans/community get behind the club in the manner above he will be more inclined to keep moving the club forward. Perhaps he sees people care for the club and fans want to be part of anything which helps the club and that is enough to see him commit to keeping the club alive. So yeah in the grand scheme of things it isnt a ridiculous idea.

Agreed and its this simple don't donate if people don't want to but it's a great idea and why not but the owner should be looking after his staff in someway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Has it been reported the club are not paying the player's or is it just people jumping to conclusions?

debok wrote: »
    Has it been reported the club are not paying the player's or is it just people jumping to conclusions?

I'm sure Lee Power is paying the staff wages..
    The go fund page is for the lost revenue on match day.. Ie : money from the gate, programmes, merchandise etc.. Which all has a knock on effect on the club.

skaface wrote: »
    I'm sure Lee Power is paying the staff wages..
    The go fund page is for the lost revenue on match day.. Ie : money from the gate, programmes, merchandise etc.. Which all has a knock on effect on the club.

That's a good explanation, cheers. Wonder will they deliver, I might order some stuff or have shop open. Nice to support in any way possible.

Agreed and its this simple don't donate if people don't want to but it's a great idea and why not but the owner should be looking after his staff in someway.

Im sure he is.

Lee Power thinks about himself and nobody else. People have short memories when it comes to fans handing over money to the club that didn't end up going into the club. 2 very public instances last season. A lot of gullible people out there it seems.

• Advertisement

Lee Power thinks about himself and nobody else. People have short memories when it comes to fans handing over money to the club that didn't end up going into the club. 2 very public instances last season. A lot of gullible people out there it seems.

To be fair he has done his bit for the club. Im not suggesting he is a knight in shining armour either but we must at least give him and the fans some credit in keeping the club afloat.

Personally i think he wont hang around but at least for now the club is stable. I do think we as supporters should think of the future and perhaps follow the Bohs/Sligo Rovers model and go supporter owned. When LP arrived i would of argued that we would never need to do such a thing but now i think maybe it is something we need to look at. He wont stay much longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Lee Power thinks about himself and nobody else.

Very similar to John halligan then.

To be fair he has done his bit for the club. Im not suggesting he is a knight in shining armour either but we must at least give him and the fans some credit in keeping the club afloat.

Personally i think he wont hang around but at least for now the club is stable. I do think we as supporters should think of the future and perhaps follow the Bohs/Sligo Rovers model and go supporter owned. When LP arrived i would of argued that we would never need to do such a thing but now i think maybe it is something we need to look at. He wont stay much longer.

Any idea how much it would take to run a club by just supporters? It's a good idea in theory but in practice it would take buying the owner out then the money to run it each year, astronomical.

Any idea how much it would take to run a club by just supporters? It's a good idea in theory but in practice it would take buying the owner out then the money to run it each year, astronomical.

Cork City barely paid their tax bill a few weeks ago. Had to trade in their sell on clauses for Seanie Maguire and Alan Browne to scrape up the pennies to do so, and their attendances are several thousand larger than Waterford.

Don't know to be honest. Maybe the support just isnt there in Waterford for it to be a success. It is an option though.

hardybuck wrote: »
    Cork City barely paid their tax bill a few weeks ago. Had to trade in their sell on clauses for Seanie Maguire and Alan Browne to scrape up the pennies to do so, and their attendances are several thousand larger than Waterford.

Cork has always been a funny place regarding football. A huge population yet the club always seems like it can never sustain itself to the level you would think it could.

A proper LOI run by a competent organisation would surely see clubs tick away nicely minus the struggles that they all seem to face.

Cork has always been a funny place regarding football. A huge population yet the club always seems like it can never sustain itself to the level you would think it could.

A proper LOI run by a competent organisation would surely see clubs tick away nicely minus the struggles that they all seem to face.

Absolutely, and little or no competition outside of Cobh.

But goes to show that even clubs with big support still struggle.

hardybuck wrote: »
    Absolutely, and little or no competition outside of Cobh.

But goes to show that even clubs with big support still struggle.

Unfortunately professional football was always going to struggle in this country given how poorly it was run. Waterford has such potential yet it never seems to go anywhere.

Unfortunately professional football was always going to struggle in this country given how poorly it was run. Waterford has such potential yet it never seems to go anywhere.

Hard to judge as we languished in the First Division for a decade, our first year back showed the strength of the support in the county but they seem to be so fickle that a huge amount just get put off so easily too soon.

• Advertisement

Hard to judge as we languished in the First Division for a decade, our first year back showed the strength of the support in the county but they seem to be so fickle that a huge amount just get put off so easily too soon.

Yes us Waterford folk are fickle for sure. The surge of support after so many years in the mire was great and to loose some of it this season was always going to happen after the whole Europe thing. We can progress on and off the field but i just don't think we have the set up to do so and this in turn will see some fans stay away.

Advertisement