Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford FC Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

alta stare wrote: »
    Yes us Waterford folk are fickle for sure. The surge of support after so many years in the mire was great and to loose some of it this season was always going to happen after the whole Europe thing. We can progress on and off the field but i just don't think we have the set up to do so and this in turn will see some fans stay away.

Doesn't take much in fairness, like the weather. I think they need to bed in the schools like Hery, Akinade and then were. That's the one thing I'd criticize the current set up with not setting in the community but yet they want local business to back them. These things go hand in hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Doesn't take much in fairness, like the weather. I think they need to bed in the schools like Hery, Akinade and then were. That's the one thing I'd criticize the current set up with not setting in the community but yet they want local business to back them. These things go hand in hand.

Agree 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

Fan owned club hahaha. Imagine putting some of the gob****es from block e or the supporters club in charge 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭skaface

Gardner wrote: »
    Fan owned club hahaha. Imagine putting some of the gob****es from block e or the supporters club in charge 😂

You're consistent anyway..
    Glass half full with you the whole time.

Who would you put in charge? There's gob****es in every group I'll give you that but there is great people in those groups too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Who would you put in charge? There's gob****es in every group I'll give you that but there is great people in those groups too.

You'd have to have a board made up of fan reps and an executive made up of professionals.

The executive would run the club but answerable to the board.

hardybuck wrote: »
    You'd have to have a board made up of fan reps and an executive made up of professionals.

The executive would run the club but answerable to the board.

At present with The Blues it isn't feasible, I've never seen so much animosity and hatred all together in one club. It's mental, Block E don't wanna talk to the club, the club banned one of the best fundraisers in the whole club, the head of the supporters club doesn't interact with anyone at all only on a "must" basis. The personality of a closed road. In fighting within the club. One upmanship everywhere. If ppl would take their egos out for long enough the club could work together. Grown men who "love" the club can't do what the fans vote for them to do. It's a sham. Apart from that it's a lovely club :D

At present with The Blues it isn't feasible, I've never seen so much animosity and hatred all together in one club. It's mental, Block E don't wanna talk to the club, the club banned one of the best fundraisers in the whole club, the head of the supporters club doesn't interact with anyone at all only on a "must" basis. The personality of a closed road. In fighting within the club. One upmanship everywhere. If ppl would take their egos out for long enough the club could work together. Grown men who "love" the club can't do what the fans vote for them to do. It's a sham. Apart from that it's a lovely club :D

How many people are in this 'Block E' group? There was 1,500 at the game the other week.

Every club has dopes and every club has infighting. By turning the club into a proper club, i.e. one with members, you hopefully get more sensible people involved who dilute the influence of some you've just mentioned.

hardybuck wrote: »
    How many people are in this 'Block E' group? There was 1,500 at the game the other week.

Every club has dopes and every club has infighting. By turning the club into a proper club, i.e. one with members, you hopefully get more sensible people involved who dilute the influence of some you've just mentioned.

There’s very few around who would be willing to get stuck in between these ppl. Unsure how many are in Block E as signed up members but they do raise good money for the club and are vital for the club if they could cut out the Green Street BS and actually have dialogue with the club in a grown up manner. I myself would get on with 99% of the ppl involved in all sides but wouldn’t be worth trying to mediate anything. Common sense isn’t seen enough.

There’s very few around who would be willing to get stuck in between these ppl. Unsure how many are in Block E as signed up members but they do raise good money for the club and are vital for the club if they could cut out the Green Street BS and actually have dialogue with the club in a grown up manner. I myself would get on with 99% of the ppl involved in all sides but wouldn’t be worth trying to mediate anything. Common sense isn’t seen enough.

There are dozens of people in the city who get involved with their local clubs, the schoolboy league and the junior league administration.

There is more moving of players between Waterford FC and the schoolboy clubs now due to the LOI underage leagues.

Would the same, or similar people, get involved in a LOI club that better represented the local area rather than a team that is predominantly contracted in from around Ireland and the UK every year?

Some blue sky thinking could help to position Waterford as a Bilbao type setup with players from the region making up the bulk of players, sprinkled with quality signings from outside.

With Brexit rules stopping boys under 18 going to England we might have a golden opportunity to offer talented young lads from the area with another option to forced emigration.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

All the infighting posters are talking about here is crazy. If everyone is fighting how come Lee power is taking a lot of flak. Surely it's impossible to be successful if there is that much animosity between staff.is his son nit upto the job? . It's seems to be a theme in Waterford that if your a manager or official in any sport in this county you suddenly become a cant.

It would be better than the club folding...surely you accept that fact?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Have they announced redundancies or non payment of wages like Sligo or cork yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

supposedly an announcement today from several clubs

debok wrote: »
    Have they announced redundancies or non payment of wages like Sligo or cork yet?

Bohs have committed to honouring player contracts, but you'd wonder how many clubs could.

Sligo Rovers Chairman was on Off the Ball recently talking about 3-4 clubs in the LOI who are in a different position to the others. I wonder are Waterford maybe the fourth club he's referring to.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Will the under 19s go into the youth champions league for next season after winning the league ?

Was there any confirmation as to whether the club were honouring contracts or not?

2009 League Cup final is on Eir Sports now.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Your best and worst Waterford united/FC moments ???

Best
    Seeing the club return to top flight football and getting the crowds back in 2017/2018. 2018 was a fantastic year
    Seeing Waterford FC on BBC playing in the Scottish Challenge Cup last October. It was a nice moment after what occurred earlier that season

Worst
    Losing the FAI Cup in 2004 conceding 2 howlers near the end of the game (the 2 balls on the pitch for Longfords first goal)
    The whole 2019 Europe farce and been 'thrown out of Europe'

PTH2009 wrote: »

Best
    Seeing the club return to top flight football and getting the crowds back in 2017/2018. 2018 was a fantastic year
    Seeing Waterford FC on BBC playing in the Scottish Challenge Cup last October. It was a nice moment after what occurred earlier that season

Worst
    Losing the FAI Cup in 2004 conceding 2 howlers near the end of the game (the 2 balls on the pitch for Longfords first goal)

I concur with the first one, that was surreal.

The worst had to be the play off defeat to Dundalk, look at the difference in both clubs now, still think to this day the all weather pitch was a very unfair advantage and to this day I still think it shouldn’t be allowed, not like they are up near Alaska or anything, never been to Oriel Park but the lads always saying it’s absolutely shocking up there. That sticks in my craw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭joeysoap

It’s good enough for UEFA. From 2rd onwards it the ground that’s the problem, not the pitch.

joeysoap wrote: »
    It’s good enough for UEFA. From 2rd onwards it the ground that’s the problem, not the pitch.

That was my issue at the time, I still think it’s ridiculous to play on Astro Turf in a country where pitches are genuinely fine, I’m just old school and with my sliding tackle I’d be in pieces :D

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Deiselurker

I concur with the first one, that was surreal.

The worst had to be the play off defeat to Dundalk, look at the difference in both clubs now, still think to this day the all weather pitch was a very unfair advantage and to this day I still think it shouldn’t be allowed, not like they are up near Alaska or anything, never been to Oriel Park but the lads always saying it’s absolutely shocking up there. That sticks in my craw.

We got a 2 2 up there on the astro pitch in the first leg. It was the home leg that let us down with a 2 0 loss when we were in a good position after the first game. Michael Rafter came back to haunt us with both goals.

We got a 2 2 up there on the astro pitch in the first leg. It was the home leg that let us down with a 2 0 loss when we were in a good position after the first game. Michael Rafter came back to haunt us with both goals.

That name gives me shudders

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭joeysoap

That pitch was replaced in 2017 ( totally worn out). It’s much the same as Derrys.
    ( and Larne, crusaders and cliftonville have them, coleraine might have one by now) Dalymount when it’s redeveloped will have one. Dundalk , Derry. and Coleraine are in Europe , and Uefa have no problem with them.

joeysoap wrote: »
    That pitch was replaced in 2017 ( totally worn out). It’s much the same as Derrys.
    ( and Larne, crusaders and cliftonville have them, coleraine might have one by now) Dalymount when it’s redeveloped will have one. Dundalk , Derry. and Coleraine are in Europe , and Uefa have no problem with them.

I get how a club in the backarse of Scotland might need to resort to that, or somewhere in Scandinavia, but not in a country like Ireland where our environment is perfect for growing grass.

PTH2009 wrote: »

Best

Worst

Kevin O'Brien leaving the club was a high point.

Low point most certainly languishing in the first division and other clubs having collections to help keep Waterford going after Henderson was sacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

High point is around now, solid and competitive side, a bit short on quality, but can't have everything, low point was Roddy Collins the conman in charge, and an 8-1 home defeat to UCD. even at the lowest, I can never remember an 8-1 home defeat, which was basically give up after 20 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Noel Griffin died over the weekend. A great player and a gentleman, quiet and unassuming, never talked himself up, like a lot of his generation. RIP Noel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Noel Griffin died over the weekend. A great player and a gentleman, quiet and unassuming, never talked himself up, like a lot of his generation. RIP Noel

A real gent as you said. RIP.

Advertisement