Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford FC Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

The potential takeover before the start of the season was from a guy with money whose was getting involved cause he loves football more then a huge financial windfall. Perfect for LOI club, I sing think we’ll go the wall it’s foundations are good, it shows with investment Europe is definitely attainable and that would help hugely with running costs. To my knowledge the buyer hasn’t gone away at all. He was advised to sit on it, great advice in hindsight.
    hardybuck wrote: »
    The more I read about this guy the more of a chancer he appears to be. He's appearing to be an untrustworthy character which is not the kind of person you want to be doing business with.

Does anyone know the source of his apparent wealth?

Regarding the question about investors, I think an investor could get a decent return if they can get a club into Europe once or twice and keep them in the qualifying games every year.

I'd be looking at the Shamrock Rovers model where there is a significant supporter shareholding in conjunction with some business people who can put proper structures in place and maximise revenues.

Someone with enough resources to go full time is halfway towards putting a squad together pushing for European spots. If they can get talented young lads on contracts they can hope to sell them - e.g. Gavin Bazunu.

I'd love to know what these clubs can be bought for.

Who is the (potential) investor ?

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

The potential takeover before the start of the season was from a guy with money whose was getting involved cause he loves football more then a huge financial windfall.

This is scarily accurate to why Pat O'Sullivan got involved with Limerick FC, and then the ego took over and the real life game of Football Manager began when Gamble and Behan were paid a pretty penny that premier clubs wouldn't have paid.

If Waterford have a good supporters club and with the improved attendances then they should get a trust, co op, whatever you want to call it set up. Because how many times has a club been a success when a fan with money got involved? Only people imo were Brown and Connolly at Dundalk and how much of that was down to Stephen Kenny's good work.

Had Limerick hired Kenny instead of fobbing him
    off and going with Stuart Taylor, then it could have been a much different story for Brown and Connolly at Dundalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

when can i post i told ye so about Lee Power. club is ****ed and there is too many idiots/egos in the BSC and Block E Brigade for a fan run club to even exist or to be successful

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Gardner wrote: »
    when can i post i told ye so about Lee Power. club is ****ed and there is too many idiots/egos in the BSC and Block E Brigade for a fan run club to even exist or to be successful

Have you ever been a member of a club before, or are you a member of one currently?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Seems crazy that no documents were signed or given after handing over 1.1m that’s just nuts, Power was savaged in it.

This is it cut down to size a bit

Now you see why I didn't post a link. The judgements themselves run to pages but articles giving a summary seem few and far between.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭91wx763

Does anyone know the source of his apparent wealth?

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/officers/ENjJmad1thEi1Jm8L44SwTp0288/appointments

Nothing very profitable there. All very peculiar that as a 47 year old his business CV doesn't really go back at all.

91wx763 wrote: »
    https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/officers/ENjJmad1thEi1Jm8L44SwTp0288/appointments

Nothing very profitable there. All very peculiar that as a 47 year old his business CV doesn't really go back at all.

From my brief understanding he's had a fairly mediocre career as a player, did a little bit of management, did a little bit of work as an agent, sports publishing and maybe a bit of horse racing.

Seems to have ended on bad terms with the clubs he was involved with as Chairman or as a Board Member.

Resides in Switzerland for tax purposes, probably just a bit of a wheeler dealer who grafted a few bob together.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

If we get new owners and somehow qualify for Europe (very Doubtful) were back to square one with that rule that caused massive issues

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

PTH2009 wrote: »
    If we get new owners and somehow qualify for Europe (very Doubtful) were back to square one with that rule that caused massive issues

Wasn't that more to do with outstanding debts than the change of owner? I can't remember the finer details.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

Nail on the head there

• Advertisement

Incorrect, we can have 100 different owners but once we stay as Waterford FC then we are fine, sure look at every team in the Premier League when they get new owners you think they can’t play in Europe for three years? Blues are eligible now.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Incorrect, we can have 100 different owners but once we stay as Waterford FC then we are fine, sure look at every team in the Premier League when they get new owners you think they can’t play in Europe for three years? Blues are eligible now.

The new passionate owner will change the name back to 'Waterford United' 😄

Long way off qualifying for Europe and the main thing is the state of the club. Be terrible if we ended up having to go back to the first division

The new passionate owner will change the name back to 'Waterford United' 😄

Long way off qualifying for Europe and the main thing is the state of the club. Be terrible if we ended up having to go back to the first division

No the owner would only be shooting themselves in the foot. In the LOI you’re never far from anything, Europe with money injection is definitely viable. Rule nothing out in the LOI :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Is there anyone in the Waterford squad that you'd like your club to sign? They'll all be free agents in a couple of weeks.

I didn’t see that coming. Then again I didn’t see Ruaidhri going.

What happened at Waterford? 6 out of 8 leagues and not even in the top 3 for the next 47 years.

We were lucky, there's no denying that. If you had won that match..........

joeysoap wrote: »
    I didn’t see that coming. Then again I didn’t see Ruaidhri going.

You didn't see what coming?

I also see Dundalk have just announced a membership scheme. Must be reading my posts, although theirs just seems to charge a very modest fee for digital content and entrance to a few draws - clever.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭joeysoap

If it’s true about Alan Reynolds.

joeysoap wrote: »
    If it’s true about Alan Reynolds.

Sorry I didn't see that.

Yeah I'd well believe it. Absolutely messed around by Waterford - I don't think he could actually return there after what's happened. Presumably Dundalk would be able to offer him a competitive wage, a contract that they can stand over, and a better working environment.

Geography the only issue there - but he might be happy enough to move on for a bit and broaden his experience.

Sorry I didn't see that.

Yeah I'd well believe it. Absolutely messed around by Waterford - I don't think he could actually return there after what's happened. Presumably Dundalk would be able to offer him a competitive wage, a contract that they can stand over, and a better working environment.

Geography the only issue there - but he might be happy enough to move on for a bit and broaden his experience.

To add to that his personal issues in recent times might help him with the decision to move away from the city for a period of time, regarded as one of the best coaches by Stephen Kenny so no wonder Dundalk want him after losing Higgins. The least of The Blues issues of a manager when the son has absconded back to the motherland. If we get a new owner there won’t be a shortage of good managers to go in and start a new direction. Rennie has given more then asked of him to be fair under very shoddy leadership.

To add to that his personal issues in recent times might help him with the decision to move away from the city for a period of time, regarded as one of the best coaches by Stephen Kenny so no wonder Dundalk want him after losing Higgins. The least of The Blues issues of a manager when the son has absconded back to the motherland. If we get a new owner there won’t be a shortage of good managers to go in and start a new direction. Rennie has given more then asked of him to be fair under very shoddy leadership.

Has Power Jr fecked off?

Has Power Jr fecked off?

By all reports I’ve been told he abandoned ship a few weeks ago said to never return. Power is actively looking for a buyer. One very interested before the start of the season but don’t know if still interested. Speaking to a senior person I know, a new owner might be happening and he wants the fans involved in some capacity. If true it would be superb. As stated previously if it’s the last interested party he’s doing it for they love of football as a priority not financially gaining which is reassuring.

• Advertisement

By all reports I’ve been told he abandoned ship a few weeks ago said to never return. Power is actively looking for a buyer. One very interested before the start of the season but don’t know if still interested. Speaking to a senior person I know, a new owner might be happening and he wants the fans involved in some capacity. If true it would be superb. As stated previously if it’s the last interested party he’s doing it for they love of football as a priority not financially gaining which is reassuring.

Yeah I think nobody would be buying the club expecting a return on investment. While possible, I don't think it's probable.

I know I'm harking on about it, but the fan involvement is a no brainier if structured right. It's a possible revenue lifeline, people will be more committed to something they're part of, and I'm sure there's loads of skills within the fan base that can be leveraged.

I'm sure there's nightly skillcommunications expertise, logistics, marketing, corporate governance etc. among the fans and who would be interested in volunteering their time like the members of any soccer club in town.

I'm shocked at how little press coverage there is about the Power situation and his court case in the UK. Some shocking accusations from him.

Yeah I think nobody would be buying the club expecting a return on investment. While possible, I don't think it's probable.

I know I'm harking on about it, but the fan involvement is a no brainier if structured right. It's a possible revenue lifeline, people will be more committed to something they're part of, and I'm sure there's loads of skills within the fan base that can be leveraged.

I'm sure there's nightly skillcommunications expertise, logistics, marketing, corporate governance etc. among the fans and who would be interested in volunteering their time like the members of any soccer club in town.

I'm shocked at how little press coverage there is about the Power situation and his court case in the UK. Some shocking accusations from him.

Fan involvement needs to be run without bias there a few different factions amongst the fans and that needs to be worked on if fans are to band together to help the club. Yes the amount of skills would be huge.

Little coverage as it’s the time of our lives and he’s doings in the UK are the last thing the county cares about. Also anything that he’s accused of can’t be printed as they don’t want to be seen to push him out of the city/club would be my guess.

From what I’m told, there is a buyer for the Club and there won't be any fan involvement. I'm happy with that. Last thing we want is anyone from the BSC or lads from the Facebook page involved. Another thing that really bothers me is the lack of decent local sports journalists who failed to tackle Lee Power at any stage. I have various screenshots of one particular so called journalist praising Lee Power over the John Delaney letter and goes on to praise John Delaney is various other tweets. The 2 cancers of local and national football been patted on the back was and still is a joke. The incident over the John Delaney letter was the straw that broke the camel's back and should have raised a lot of eyebrows. The same so called journalist is very fond of his late night tweets and then deleting them.

Was told on the grapevine today that young Pack Jower (do a switcharoo ;)

Outstanding unpaid Drug debts from a big drug dealer and he’s got a girl pregnant , no wonder he’s left these shores. The boy is a right little piece of work. Glad that chancer has left.

In regards to new owner that would be wonderful and fan involvement would be messy as there’s a lot of crap goes on between different supporters groups in the club. It’s ridiculous at the best of times.

Was told on the grapevine today that young Pack Jower (do a switcharoo ;)

Outstanding unpaid Drug debts from a big drug dealer and he’s got a girl pregnant , no wonder he’s left these shores. The boy is a right little piece of work. Glad that chancer has left.

In regards to new owner that would be wonderful and fan involvement would be messy as there’s a lot of crap goes on between different supporters groups in the club. It’s ridiculous at the best of times.

Sad if true but some ridiculous stuff put up on that Facebook page over the weekend and some of it libel, very surprised the admin are allowing it or are the admins posting it? (don't know who the admins are) . Some of the lads on that page think there a godsend to the club and they would be the ones looking to get involved in a fan run club. Ideally I’d love to see LP go and new owner put in place and no fan involvement. Setup an independent supporters club who would question the on-goings of the club and also not financially contribute to the club in anyway unlike the BSC who are the nodding dogs of the Club and have lost all credibility for some time now.

Sad if true but some ridiculous stuff put up on that Facebook page over the weekend and some of it libel, very surprised the admin are allowing it or are the admins posting it? (don't know who the admins are) . Some of the lads on that page think there a godsend to the club and they would be the ones looking to get involved in a fan run club. Ideally I’d love to see LP go and new owner put in place and no fan involvement. Setup an independent supporters club who would question the on-goings of the club and also not financially contribute to the club in anyway unlike the BSC who are the nodding dogs of the Club and have lost all credibility for some time now.

How can you continue to ask, and expect, individuals to come forward and blow their cash on the club?

In lieu of someone with proper wealth coming along (more than a few million), who is genuinely benevolent and loves the game/club, you're relying on people who have a few bob to effectively hand over money they'll never get back and then have to move on because they can't afford it any more.

The greatest risk is that nobody comes forward and the club has to fold.

If anyone has a comprehensive list of owners and their fate in the last 20-30 years it'd make for good reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

The club was always a basket case, and I'm going back to the 70's, 80's not just recent

The guy running the fan page has been banned for a while from the RSC & has never learnt his lesson so as far as fan involvement there’s too many cowboys and not enough Indians. In regards to the BSC the chairman hates meeting with people and to boot he’s got no ppl skills whatsoever. Dunno why he’s even chairman of it. There’s been good ppl on it whose had to step down due to the BS in the BSC.

Graham Cummins, speaking with RTE, said he'd be very doubtful of Waterford agreeing to finish the season unless they were pushed back.

A decision being made by the FAI and clubs on Thursday apparently.

• Advertisement

Graham Cummins, speaking with RTE, said he'd be very doubtful of Waterford agreeing to finish the season unless they were pushed back.

A decision being made by the FAI and clubs on Thursday apparently.

Sooner we know the better and we could see action on new owners and the timeline they have to get the club back up and running.

Advertisement