Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford FC Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

alta stare wrote: »
    Im going to play Devils Advocate here and say maybe he regrets what he did and like anyone he deserves a chance to redeem himself.

I dont condone what he done it is disgraceful and im sure the club would not of signed him if they thought he was a danger to people so surely he deserves to show that he isnt like that and again it was a stupid mistake.

To boycott the club over this imo is bit of an over reaction at this stage.

Apparently, the club signed him a few weeks before it was announced. In the meantime season tickets went on sale.
    So over-reaction? No.
    In light of this slight of hand, let me amend my earlier comment; What cynical contempt for loyal fans as well as stupidity by Fenlon & Reynolds. Get their season ticket money before they can decline to bankroll a rapist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

All the goodwill and support of the local community and business community completely wiped out with one signing. The mind boggles at the decision to sign him. Just don't know what they were thinking. Quiet a few proper fans saying they won't attend now next season and that's a real shame, all brought on by the club's stupid decision to sign him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Apparently, the club signed him a few weeks before it was announced. In the meantime season tickets went on sale.
    So over-reaction? No.
    In light of this slight of hand, let me amend my earlier comment; What cynical contempt for loyal fans as well as stupidity by Fenlon & Reynolds. Get their season ticket money before they can decline to bankroll a rapist.

I understand you may feel aggrieved but i doubt the club would sign him he they felt he would be a threat to anyone.

Gardner wrote: »
    Izzy Akinade

He should be deported for committing such a crime not playing for Waterford FC. When you move to a new country that should be under the condition that if you break that new countries laws then you are no longer welcome in that new country.

edit: I just saw he was 16 when he committed the crime so my above opinion is wrong, so he would have been here since he was a kid. Ok my above opinion was based on him moving here himself and then committing a crime.
    I still think the club shouldn't have signed him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Of course it would be in our minds but look at how many times people who were pillars of society turned out to be evil people. We know what happened with Akinade so its easier for people to jump all over him whereas someone doing evil things on the qt can get away with it for years without anyone having a clue and doing so whilst remaing as i said "a pillar of society".

He has played for Bohs and Bray without any issues with his behaviour and he should be afforded that oppurtunity at Waterford aswell. One step out of line and then he should be sacked.
    Bray turfed him out. Also accused opposition fans on two occasions of racist chants which turned out to be bogus allegations. Did WFC want to keep his signing a secret for longer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭lassykk

Can't believe people think his age is a mitigating circumstance. The guy was 16 when he did this. He knew 100% what he was doing and should have served a long custodial sentence, long enough so that he had no opportunity to have a career in football.

I don't know how anyone could be supportive of a club associated by choice with this sort of a human being.

Second chances shouldn't be given for certain types of crimes, this being one of them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭decies

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Well said 16 is not a kid and anybody supporting this player needs to examine their own morals , some off us have higher standards I guess !!

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Bray turfed him out. Also accused opposition fans on two occasions of racist chants which turned out to be bogus allegations. Did WFC want to keep his signing a secret for longer?

I doubt they did want to keep it secret. Im sure they were and stillare preparing themselves for the sh!tstorm which this will create.

Kind of pisses me off that the blues haven't been in the top tier for years and now that we are there the owners go and do this :(

Kind of pisses me off that the blues haven't been in the top tier for years and now that we are there the owners go and do this :(

It certainly casts a shadow alright. Pity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭buzzinfly83

One of the worst type of crimes. Club shouldn't have signed him under any circumstances remorseful or not. It was bound to put many fans off at a time where they need all the support they can get while competing in the Premier division. Terrible move by the club. They can have no complaints when the attendances are down next season as this is surely going to stop many fans heading down to the RSC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gardner

Reading a few comments on Facebook but it seems a group of individuals will be placing a picket at the RSC for the opening game of the season.

i'm considering myself joining the picket. doesn't sit well with me whatsoever the more it was discussed over the weekend on social media.

Local media for legal reasons won’t touch it with a barge pool . Doesn’t stop people contacting them about it !! https://web.archive.org/web/20141102173453/http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/three-kildare-men-sentenced-for-sex-abuse-of-teenage-girl-649354.html

lassykk wrote: »
    You're not serious surely?

It's the same thing except for defilement is essentially rape of a person under the age of 18 so generally a more heinous crime.

I asked this question earlier but got no reply and i guess i know why but hey some people just shy away from certain questions so this time ill ask you and if i can i will broaden the question.

If you were in the same sitution as Akinade and you knew you made a mistake as a young teenage boy and you knew and others around you knew you werent like that, who has shown remorse, would you like to be given a another chance to re build your life or would you expect to be thrown in jail for years and receive negative attention for the rest of your life?

It is a simple question.

You got no reply because it’s a stupid ignorant question . Leave the adults debate this serious issue thank you .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Don't think the media will be too quick to question his signing.

http://i.imgur.com/PRefPiq.png

Reading a few comments on Facebook but it seems a group of individuals will be placing a picket at the RSC for the opening game of the season.

i'm considering myself joining the picket. doesn't sit well with me whatsoever the more it was discussed over the weekend on social media.
    Any particular place on Facebook ? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

decies wrote: »
    Stupid comments

What, you think the club have made a sensible decision in signing this player?

Deise Vu wrote: »
    Stupid comments

What, you think the club have made a sensible decision in signing this player?

The pitch forks comment I meant .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

bullpost wrote: »
    I'm all for second chances, but the issue here is whether a job as a professional footballer, with all that entails (role model etc.) is an appropriate one.

Tis a pr disaster for the club whether the player deserves second chance or not. Surely there is other players about who are just as good as this player but without the baggage he brings. Surprised at Reynolds and fenlon they surely knew it would bring bad publicity to the club in year in which they helped put the club back in the spotlight. By the way i never understand why footballers are seen as role models?

You got no reply because it’s a stupid ignorant question . Leave the adults debate this serious issue thank you .

If you think the adults should debate it then why are you involved? At least lassykk responded to the question unlike people like you who are obviously only interested in making silly statements about someone they dont even know. One word springs to mind...... Idiot.

• Advertisement

We'll agree to differ but this is not going away(the player and club will be reminded of this by opposition fans at every opportunity,children will be present when they voice their chants).The club in my opinion have made an error.

Those same kids you speak of would of heard worse than what you say will be chanted. There are alot of grown men who go to football games and abuse players referrees staff opposing fans etc etc and the kids listen to that sh!t without most people batting an eyelid. Double standards imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭shamrockvilla

Those same kids you speak of would of heard worse than what you say will be chanted. There are alot of grown men who go to football games and abuse players referrees staff opposing fans etc etc and the kids listen to that sh!t without most people batting an eyelid. Double standards imo.

Do you recognise the post below?you should do as you yourself posted it a couple of weeks ago.Make up your mind!

So chanting abuse at a game where there are loads of kids (including my 4yr old daughter) is not cringe or hard man behaviour to you???

Re read my post i did say i like the singing the drums etc as it creates a good atmosphere i just dont see the need for the abuse toward the opposition and when it happens yes it is cringe and it sheds a bad light on the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gardner

Rumours coming out of the Blues camp is that Fenlon signed him and Rennie isn't happy about it. We all know the Director of Football calls the shots but in this instance he should have gone to Rennie and asked him his opinion. Read also on Blues Supporters Facebook Page that all emails that the club receive go to Fenlon directly for his review and if that is the case then why is he ignoring the huge amount of fans who have emailed the club to express their disgust with the signing and the clubs failure to issue a public statement?

One thing that this does highlight also is that with the Blues Supporters Club been an official supporters club (they will tell you there not) that having a united voice against the signing isn't going to happen.

Do you recognise the post below?you should do as you yourself posted it a couple of weeks ago.Make up your mind!

So chanting abuse at a game where there are loads of kids (including my 4yr old daughter) is not cringe or hard man behaviour to you???

Re read my post i did say i like the singing the drums etc as it creates a good atmosphere i just dont see the need for the abuse toward the opposition and when it happens yes it is cringe and it sheds a bad light on the club.

:D you are quoting something and letting your poor reading comprehension get in the way of what i actually meant with the post.

The older post as you can see is in reference to the cringe chanting and yes its sad to see grown men behave in that way.

The most recent post is in reference to kids being at games and listening to abuse anyway so whats new. I dont agree with it some of it is cringe.

So with that pointed out to you i fail to see what you are trying to get at. I think to need to repeat what you have done and re read the posts....slowly.....and maybe you will understand what i wrote.

Looks like the mainstream media is ignoring this don’t be distracted by the attention seeker on here we have bigger fish to fry . Please spread the word . Thank You . I’d like to think most us rational people have morals and will do the right thing on this occasion .

Rumours coming out of the Blues camp is that Fenlon signed him and Rennie isn't happy about it. We all know the Director of Football calls the shots but in this instance he should have gone to Rennie and asked him his opinion. Read also on Blues Supporters Facebook Page that all emails that the club receive go to Fenlon directly for his review and if that is the case then why is he ignoring the huge amount of fans who have emailed the club to express their disgust with the signing and the clubs failure to issue a public statement?

One thing that this does highlight also is that with the Blues Supporters Club been an official supporters club (they will tell you there not) that having a united voice against the signing isn't going to happen.

The club need to act quick on this as this dragging on is only going to create resentment and anger, the latter simmering as we speak. I reckon they will speak out soon it will be interesting to hear what they say.

If Alan supposedly isnt happy (understandable) then i hope he has voiced his opinion. Alan is in a tough position as if he wasnt involved in this then speaking out publicly could cost him his job. Fenlon clearly thinks Akinade is not a danger to anyone but i think he has misjudged the backlash this has created.

I wonder from a legal stand point can they cancel Akinades contract?? I doubt it so they could be in a sticky situation.

Looks like the mainstream media is ignoring this don’t be distracted by the attention seeker on here we have bigger fish to fry . Please spread the word . Thank You . I’d like to think most us rational people have morals and will do the right thing on this occasion .

Should you not be in school?

Maybe the media arent covering it because they no longer see it as an issue.

Thanks for keeping the posts going 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭shamrockvilla

:D you are quoting something and letting your poor reading comprehension get in the way of what i actually meant with the post.

The older post as you can see is in reference to the cringe chanting and yes its sad to see grown men behave in that way.

The most recent post is in reference to kids being at games and listening to abuse anyway so whats new. I dont agree with it some of it is cringe.

So with that pointed out to you i fail to see what you are trying to get at. I think to need to repeat what you have done and re read the posts....slowly.....and maybe you will understand what i wrote.

yet another personal attack,it seems that anyone that this poster does not agree with is an idiot,brain dead,,childish,makes ridiculous comments and is too stupid to understand what he is saying.
    This is not an argument this is just my opinion that this is a signing that will have a negative impact on some people's perception of the club whether it be from a financial perspective (sponsorship etc.) or perhaps people just bad-mouthing the club,time will tell.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I'm putting a stop on the talk about non-footballing matters in relation to a recent signing while I seek advice.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Advertisement