Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford FC Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

PTH2009 wrote: »
    What a **** up of a night, all in the space of a few mins we got a ball cleared off the line for the draw and then Sligo beat Dundalk 2-0. A little relieved we didn't score near the end and us all celebrating only to find out Sligo scored again. Hats off too Harps and Sligo though

TBH 5th is a bit of a false position but a little impressive given the ****e that went on within the club with the politics and the managerial changes. We had some good days/nights esp beating Dundalk at home and Bohs away but we had some howlers that cost us. Losing at home too Harps and Shelbourne, only drawing with Cork both times we met and then losing the lead away too Dundalk.

So many Ifs and buts. Lets hope Power commits or we get a new owner willing to heavily invest and give it a massive go for 2021. Fran Rockett not strong enough to lead us but still a good enough number 2 and i think going to back too Rennie would be another mistake. Next few weeks/months will be interesting and hopefully whatever needs to be done is sorted quickly

Say it will go the opposite way to be honest, the club is a complete mess, and I feel sorry for the underage teams, when the money goes, they could go too.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

What a balls up, could have gone 3rd, ended up 5th. Where are they going to get goals next season?

Goals? Never mind about them. I'd be more concerned about getting players to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Goals? Never mind about them. I'd be more concerned about getting players to be honest.

Well yes of course. It's bitter that despite the club being a basket case this season, they almost(should have) got into Europe. Sligo run on Tuppence ha'penny may go instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭deisedude

Well yes of course. It's bitter that despite the club being a basket case this season, they almost(should have) got into Europe. Sligo run on Tuppence ha'penny may go instead.

As another poster said its Karma. Reynolds and players very shoddily treated at first lockdown, team doctor thrown under a bus, Sheridan made a mockery of the league and letting your striker go with a few games left.

Sligo by comparison are a well run club and even if they weren't great its hard to begrudge them for winning the slow bicycle race for Europe over the Waterford sh1tshow

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

deisedude wrote: »
    As another poster said its Karma. Reynolds and players very shoddily treated at first lockdown, team doctor thrown under a bus, Sheridan made a mockery of the league and letting your striker go with a few games left.

Sligo by comparison are a well run club and even if they weren't great its hard to begrudge them for winning the slow bicycle race for Europe over the Waterford sh1tshow

Sligo are a well run club who are a part of their community. They are well supported and do a lot of fundraisers which keeps the show on the road.

Waterford people haven't supported this team very well, and before COVID they had some of the lowest average attendances in the league in recent seasons.

I suspect part of that is due to the lack of local players, and lack of engagement with the community generally. Before the two Murphy's came home we often sent out an XI without a Waterford lad on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Jesus how did Dundalk not get a goal against Sligo last night

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭deisedude

Jesus how did Dundalk not get a goal against Sligo last night

Dundalk have been desperate since the return of the league. No surprise really.

There was a league table of teams since the league returned. Dundalk were 8th and Sligo were 3rd

deisedude wrote: »
    Dundalk have been desperate since the return of the league. No surprise really.

There was a league table of teams since the league returned. Dundalk were 8th and Sligo were 3rd

But they have there €€€ through Europe

Tbh they were on the right side of the draw and got a bit of luck in a penalty shootout

Looking very like a Rovers vs Dundalk cup final

Bloody Waterford fecking up a good chance at Europe

• Advertisement

not sounding good going by this :(:(

not sounding good going by this :(:(

None of this comes as any surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

As expected, the blues appeal against the Finn harps game where it was claimed they played a player who should have been suspended, has been dismissed so that's the end of the matter now. we could do with hearing from the powers and their plans for the club.

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    As expected, the blues appeal against the Finn harps game where it was claimed they played a player who should have been suspended, has been dismissed so that's the end of the matter now. we could do with hearing from the powers and their plans for the club.

They should have let that go IMO.

Who is running the club these days? Do they have a defined management structure?

Finn Harps wouldn't of been that stupid. We should of guaranteed 4th place on the pitch but we didn't and fair play to Sligo for doing it

The club seems all over the place with the players leaving who are allegedly owed wages and then Power has his own troubles

Finn Harps wouldn't of been that stupid. We should of guaranteed 4th place on the pitch but we didn't and fair play to Sligo for doing it

The club seems all over the place with the players leaving who owed money and then Power has his own troubles

I think you should be referring to allegations of outstanding wages.

https://www.waterfordfc.ie/new-manager-kevin-sheedy/

Sheedy sheedy (reference from the van)

Best of luck to him and hopefully a positive rebuild for 2021

And Mike Newell - Premier League Winner?

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Muttley79

Former Ireland international Kevin Sheedy appointed manager of Waterford https://the42.ie/5304199
    Yes boy what a coup for the blues

Well that was unexpected but very exciting news in fairness. Two big names in the management who will have serious connections as regards signing players. Exciting to see how it goes now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭skaface

Power is a funny cookie.. He let practically a full squad go again at the end of the season and wouldn't keep some very good players.. Now he gets another ex Ireland player with no experience at management to take charge.. We need stability at the club.. Yet again for the bones of a third season in a row, we're starting from scratch with another new set of players and management.. Big gamble, hope it pays off

skaface wrote: »
    Power is a funny cookie.. He let practically a full squad go again at the end of the season and wouldn't keep some very good players.. Now he gets another ex Ireland player with no experience at management to take charge.. We need stability at the club.. Yet again for the bones of a third season in a row, we're starting from scratch with another new set of players and management.. Big gamble, hope it pays off

I think he's taken the view that there's no shortage of players at LOI standard knocking around the UK looking for work.

The only thing that's Waterford about the club is the venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    Well that was unexpected but very exciting news in fairness. Two big names in the management who will have serious connections as regards signing players. Exciting to see how it goes now.

It is exciting yeah. Looking forward to football when back, a lot of naysayers in here and fair enough there's been a lot of change but from my point of view, I'm glad we're still kicking and kicking in the top league, we've languished in second tier for so long, I'm enjoying the ride as they say. Wouldn't it be great to win something though, fingers crossed.

I think Power has to be commended for investing in the club, regardless of his motives. They were effectively bust when he arrived, and Waterford could easily have gone the way of Limerick.

I hope for the following next year:

- They did quite well with recruitment in 2020. I suspect Stephen Hunt had his hand in a few signings, and lads like Tyreke Wilson are obviously available for clubs like Waterford if they knock on the right doors, and hopefully they can recruit to the same standard again.

- I'd like to see a few local lads progressing from the academy into the first team. Colm Whelan was the top scorer in the U19 league last year, and was second top scorer in the first division with UCD this year. No point having an academy if those kind of players are leaving.

- Sheedy and Newell get a bit of a buzz going around town and crowds can get back into games.

- They can at least maintain the 2020 performance, and hopefully go that step further and qualify for Europe.

- A cup run would be fantastic.

- Power/coaching staff/club admin don't p*** people off next year. The club's reputation will need a bit of rebuilding following the antics over the last couple of years.

Max Powers wrote: »
    It is exciting yeah. Looking forward to football when back, a lot of naysayers in here and fair enough there's been a lot of change but from my point of view, I'm glad we're still kicking and kicking in the top league, we've languished in second tier for so long, I'm enjoying the ride as they say. Wouldn't it be great to win something though, fingers crossed.

Yes we languished so long in the first division it was depressing, so good being established back in the premier division now, and only Munster club in premier division too which is unexpected. I think this announcement could be really significant, I don't think those 2 lads would commit without assurances over ability to bring in players.

be great to be back out at the rsc watching a good team ... when all is safe again of course

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

skaface wrote: »

I think the management team has a good depth of experience , the assistant has been coaching/managing for 20 years.

If Sheridan hadn't of feckrd off we'd be in Europe next season

Let's hope we challenge for Europe

Brian Murphy has signed on for next season, massive to have our player of the year and a local lad there next season. also best keeper in the league in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Daryl Murphy signed up now also.
    Will be an interesting few weeks

• Advertisement

Predictably were looking too sign some ex Cork City players

Advertisement