Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too heavy for horse riding??

Options
  • 25-02-2017 1:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine has asked to go horse riding with us.The biggest horse we have is 16.2 but my friend is big guy, I would guess 6'2 tall and pushing 300 pounds .Would he be too heavy to ride ?Its awkward cause I don't want to tell him he's too big to come with us but don't want out horse to be in discomfort either.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

For someone at 300 lbs, the horse would want to be at least 700kg. Unless it's a draft type, it's unlikely to reach this at 16.2hh. 300 lbs is around 21stone, or 136kg and is obese in someone that height, verging on morbidly obese unless it's muscle. The rider should be around 20% of the horse's weight, including tack. It kinda varies a bit on the skill of the rider. An experienced rider at any weight would be a lot less sore of a horse's back than an inexperience one, who would be like a wobbly dead weight. Being entirely honest, if someone of that weight asked me to get on a horse, I'd refuse them. What if the horse spooks and they end up slamming onto their back?

I know it sounds mean, and I hate weight shaming but I think the fact you're even having to ask here means that you don't think your horse will be up for it, and that's what is important here. I don't think refusing on the ground of weight is akin to bullying, but rather a reality of being too heavy. You know your horse best though, and what it's capable of. I really don't know what to suggest in terms of not hurting your friend's feelings. Just don't do what the owner of one of the local equestrian centre did and, upon seeing a tourist who was looking for book a lesson, exclaim "where on this earth am I going to find a horse able to lift you?!".

Advertisement