Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DIY help; Is this a stain or a varnish?

• 25-02-2017 1:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, Need a bit of guidance on how to do a restoration on the top part of a chest of drawers. There are some stains, scuffs, and scratches so I want to sand back and re-finish the top surface only. I don't know what kind of wood this is, or what product to use to colour match the rest of the chest. Pictures attached.
    • What grit sandpaper should I use as a final step before refinishing?
    • What do I use to re-finish, (a stain, a varnish, something else?)
    • Will the colour match be spot on if done correctly?
    pics attached.

20170225_083741_zps2f6bv3kx.jpg

20170225_083802_zpsiqtm5fal.jpg

20170225_083805_zpsqrlqzwu6.jpg

20170225_083812_zpsywglt5lc.jpg

20170225_083818_zpsi0i3irwc.jpg

20170225_083822_zpsg7zyvx80.jpg

20170225_083848_zpsvajcam0b.jpg

20170225_083918_zpsagonzrum.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

My advice is ..........don't.! You will destroy the patina of the top and it would take an expert to re-create an exact match.( no offence ) I see you are in Australia where I'm sure the Rustins range of products are available. I would use their 'Furniture Restorer' or 'Ring Remover ' to restore the top and leave it at that. Furniture should be left to mature like a good wine.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

Wish I could leave it, but it simply isnt an option. There is a nail varnish spill on the top that has eaten through and is not pollishing out at all. It has also been touched up with a stain which has discolored it even more.

I'm going to HAVE to sand it down and refinish and id rather do it with some guidance.

Will a simple varnish get me 90% of a match? if so - Gloss, Satin, or Matt varnish?

If just clear varnish is not going to do it, then what do I need to do? find a matching stained varnish? or stain AND varnish?

any help is appreciated guys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

I suspect that is a 1930s piece of furniture. ? It has a solid top with a mitered surround and inevitably it has shrunk leaving 3- 4 mm gaps. A little acetone will remove the nail varnish and the Rustins products will remove the stains and ring marks,refreshing the wood as well.
    If you take it back to bare wood you are into spraying on a spirit dye to an exact match and a few coats of lacquer after that.At least that is how a professional would do it.Just trying to find a matching DIY product and applying it with a brush will end in disaster. !

Advertisement