Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

November 2017 Babies Club

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭littlebsci

That's such a shame Spotty! I know they've said that partners have to attend (and it definitely is beneficial for them to do so) but would you not chance going on your own? On the course I did there was one woman there without her husband as he couldn't make it!! Surely the hospital can't enforce their "rule"!!

Got my whooping cough vaccine yesterday and don't know if it's a coincidence or not but completely bunged up with a cold now today, can barely breath :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

The first thing I did was ask could I attend alone, they said no.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭blackbird86

Oh god the insomnia is killing me. Awake for 3.5 hours when my toddler woke at 12 last night & I only managed some dozing on and off after that. Gonna be a long day.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Juicyfruit

I'm with you on that blackbird. Waking up every few nights at about 3 and not being able to get back to sleep until around 6.. last night was fine thankfully but night before was 3:30 until 6 then up with toddler at 7!

Yep I was awake from 2.30-6am two nights ago, hell! Up at 7.30 then with toddler. Last night I deliberately went to bed late at 12, slept much better :)

• Advertisement

My feet are after swelling up over the last couple of days!! I was doing so well and now I've got two club feet at the end of my stumpy little legs!!! :(

littlebsci wrote: »
    My feet are after swelling up over the last couple of days!! I was doing so well and now I've got two club feet at the end of my stumpy little legs!!! :(

If it has happened suddenly get your bp and urine checked. I'm not to swollen at all, last time I had to take my rings off at 22 weeks, 30 now.

I had to lose my rings a couple of weeks ago! I've started to get swelling in my feet and legs too but it's not bad yet at all. Does it ease off when you put your feet up littlebsci? Mine used to improve when I did that.

Had my 30 week gp appointment today. All ok, I had some glucose in my urine though. He said to just wait and see if it's there again at my next hospital appointment, hopefully it won't be!

Still have my rings on which is great! They have gone down a bit alright Blackbird but not all the way! Hoping it's due to me being back to work and on my feet a lot during the day.

Gonna text my midwife in the morning Spotty to let her know! See does she want me to go and get checked out!

Hopefully it's just that alright. Mine were always pretty ok first thing in the morning after a night of rest and then they'd absolutely balloon during work and be massive by the end of the day

• Advertisement

I have relatively normal looking feet this morning! Slept with them propped up on two pillows and that and all the elevation yesterday evening seems to have worked! I don't have the best legs anyway but at least I have ankles again today!! :)

How's everyone doing?

Had doctor appointment today, all fine. I've put on exactly 2 stone, must dig out my notes from my last pregnancy to see how much I put on then and when. I feel like it's loads but google says it's the top end of average so that's not too bad!

Still wrecked with acid reflux but mostly fine other than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I am quite overweight and have lost around 6kg since my booking visit. I have gestational diabetes so lost about 3kg since going on that diet three weeks ago. Hoping to control it with diet and avoid the meds altogether. The heartburn is a nightmare but peeing is driving me mad. The baby is breech so there is always pressure on my bladder. Once I lie on my left in bed (my favourite position), I have to pee. I would say I am up at least once an hour. I am so tired. Only 9 more weeks to go!

Last time I checked my weight was about a week ago and I'd put on 31lbs. I weigh about 10lbs more than I did at 41 weeks last time!

All grand here. Baby is head down and I've had some serious pressure already which scared me as I never felt that til right at the end last time! Had a couple of days of spotting there and when I called the hospital to mention it they said I needed to come in and get checked and told me to bring an overnight bag. Anyway all was fine thankfully, was having visions of this baby arriving 9 weeks early!

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Juicyfruit

I'm up around 33lbs here which is about the same as last time so not too bothered.

All good here, baby head down the last few weeks so hopefully will stay that way. Feeling seriously uncomfortable and breathless in the evenings and finding it hard to get comfortable in bed. Other than that all grand.

Only 7 weeks to go. Can not believe how fast time is flying!

Turns out I'm 2kg lighter than I was at this stage last time, after thinking I looked bigger lol!

Absolutely exhausted now, the combo of pregnancy insomnia, acid reflux and the always waking toddler I just can't function. Only 3ish weeks of work left, thank god. But constantly entertaining the toddler isn't easy either :(

I had gained 7kg when I was weighed 3 weeks ago. I couldn't be bothered weighing myself at home at the moment but when I'm in the GPs getting bloods taken in another couple of weeks I reckon I'll be well up on that previous gain, feel like I've gotten much heavier in the last few weeks. Said to my husband earlier that I want him to drag me out for a walk every evening cos I've gotten way too fond of the couch in recent weeks. I'm wrecked in the evenings but still could make more of an effort!!

Once I'm finished work now by the start of October I'm going to enjoy having more time to walk/exercise, I work when my husband gets home at 6.30/7 so can't do it then, and can't push the buggy on the crap crooked footpaths around here without it hurting my pelvis so feel very stir crazy at the moment.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to finishing up so I can get out during the day with the dogs and then even go for a gentle stroll in the evenings. I'm definitely overdoing it in work at the moment as I'm conscious of being out of there shortly!

I love doing a good 5k rather than gentle strolls, since I've discovered I find it much easier to power through a good few km quickly rather than what I thought I should be doing which was going for a short easy walk! That just gives me muscle pains all over, I need to keep going and go fast. Really want to do more yoga but the thoughts of it when I have constant acid reflux is just bleh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 mawn_g

I think baby has been draining all my minerals....broke my tooth on a smartie today 🙈🙈! You guys are great for exercise.....i was good in first and second trimester but now by the time I get home from work at 7.30 all I want to do is flake on the sofa!

I've been fairly lazy with walking recently. I've no pain or anything thankfully, just chronic laziness :p I did start aqua aerobics last week though so have that again tonight, enjoyed it last week.

Can't wait to finish up work, I've been working crazy hours recently and been under a huge amount of stress which can't be good for me at all. Can't see me lasting another 6.5 weeks in there if things continue the way they are. I did a 15+ hour day yesterday which is just madness!

I am really struggling today with work too. Got loads of pain in my tummy and ribs earlier on and off for over an hour, it took my breath away and brought tears to my eyes. Someone said it may be braxton hicks. I feel off since, super tired and a bit nauseous (haven't had any nausea at all til now). I could happily sit in a corner and cry. There are only three of us who work here, I mentioned it to my boss who just kinda brushed it off so no sympathy there. I was considering going home early but i doubt that will happen. I might ring in sick tomorrow but I am conscious that there is a group on that I run and they will be a bit fecked if I don't come in.

Braxton Hicks starting here, never got them last time until I was 36 weeks and already in hospital. Never even felt them then, I only know because the midwives told me when trying to feel baby!

I never had noticeable braxton hicks last time either. Had a hospital appointment on Friday, BP was high so they want me to see GP this week instead of the following week and then back to hospital the following week. Baby's head is well down which explains the on/off pressure I'm feeling!

Checking my own bp here now in preparation for tomorrow's hospital appointment. It's always perfect at home, bloody hospital drives it up and they give me such grief.

Another miserable crap hospital appointment today. Can't wait for all of this to be over

Blood pressure issues again?

Another miserable crap hospital appointment today. Can't wait for all of this to be over

I hear ya! What happened at yours?

I spent three days in at the weekend after a bleed. They gave me steroids, which upped my blood sugar and I may need to go on insulin for the duration of the pregnancy. I have a sick cert for two weeks, rang my job to tell them and they are being arseholes. And I can't even have chocolate with my tea to console myself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 mawn_g

@Loveinapril that's awful..... can't say I know how my work would react but that's totally unfair. It's not like you are just taking the hand and taking time off for the fun of it! Hope you guys have a better experience for your last few appointments luckily it's getting close to the end for us all!

Bp was up but only because I am always so anxious at the hospital appointments. Spent an hour crying with/at midwives but didn't really make any difference, I just need to suck it up is the general gist.

Loveinapril that sucks, pity your work are being annoying but just ignore them, you have your cert.

That sucks spotty. Loveinapril, I can't believe your work are being so awful. As if going through bleeding isn't stressful enough, you don't need to be getting crap from them on top of it. Hope you can relax during your sick leave

Ah ladies, it is ridiculous. I have had three phonecalls about it. Asking me if I wanted to take maternity leave early. Then asking if I wanted a week's holidays and just owe them back the second week in hours. In phone call number three, they tried to tell me that I would have to be paid for the week holidays as I couldn't carry them over til I return from maternity leave. I ended up having to ring the illness benefit place to get confirmation that I couldn't be paid while off sick so I could pass on the information. I also redirected them to citizen's info where they could read up about the fact that maternity leave is protected.

That's shocking behaviour from them. Just don't let them bully you into taking holidays or anything other than sick leave

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,929 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

My line manager in my last job tried that crap with me too. I ended up having to get HR involved because she was ringing me so much it was bordering on harassment. Luckily HR got on to her and gave her a bollocking and I dealt with them directly after that.

• Advertisement

Did you get sorted with work Loveinapril?

Girls we're having babies next month!! :-O Started on my hospital bag this weekend and got all the newborn/0-3 month clothes down from the attic and washed them.

Had a GP appointment the other day and thankfully BP was back to normal. Hoping it's OK again at hospital appt this week and I can go back to midwife led care, I've to see one of the consultants this week

Did you get sorted with work Loveinapril?

I was back in the hospital for an appointment the other day and they signed me off til two weeks before my maternity leave starts. The doctor said they would give me an additional cert if needed (I can imagine it will be at 36+ weeks). Dreading phoning this week to let them know. I just feel I need to get stronger in my response to the "do you want to take maternity leave early?" question. I don't want to be rude but just want a firm response so I don't ramble apologetically. Any ideas?

I am smothering with a cold now too. Can't believe we are gaving babies NEXT MONTH!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I was back in the hospital for an appointment the other day and they signed me off til two weeks before my maternity leave starts. The doctor said they would give me an additional cert if needed (I can imagine it will be at 36+ weeks). Dreading phoning this week to let them know. I just feel I need to get stronger in my response to the "do you want to take maternity leave early?" question. I don't want to be rude but just want a firm response so I don't ramble apologetically. Any ideas?

I am smothering with a cold now too. Can't believe we are gaving babies NEXT MONTH!

Just be firm but polite and say you have been signed off as sick and will be taking sick leave accordingly. Remember when they are trying to talk you around that by taking maternity leave early you will be shortening the time you have with your baby after.

bee06 wrote: »
    Remember when they are trying to talk you around that by taking maternity leave early you will be shortening the time you have with your baby after.

That's what has me so annoyed. It is a family organisation so the more I think about the lack of sick pay, no maternity pay and this lack of empathy for the health of me and my baby, the angrier I get at them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

That's what has me so annoyed. It is a family organisation so the more I think about the lack of sick pay, no maternity pay and this lack of empathy for the health of me and my baby, the angrier I get at them.

It's totally shortsighted on their part as well. Why would you ever put in any extra effort if you are getting nothing back from them. It doesn't cost anything to show a bit of understanding. Stand your ground anyway ... not long to go and you can forget all about them!

• Advertisement

I think I'd be looking for a new job afterwards too if that's how they treat you!

The fact that it's next month now is freaking me out!

Choked with a cold too, that's all that's wrong with me at the mo other than bad indigestion. Starting hypnobirthing class tomorrow night, bit pessimistic about it but that's just how I feel about the hospital/maternity in general now so we'll see.

Did you manage to get into the hospital hypnobirthing class in the end? It can only help with the pessimism!

I'm scared that it's next month too but also can't wait to not have to live with bloody reflux anymore

Yeah got into it, with there being 5 weekends in October my husband will only miss one class rather than two so they made a special exception, the only decent bit of practical help the midwives have provided so far.

Totally agree on the indigestion/reflux, not having to decide what to eat based on the discomfort afterwards will be amazing!

Hi everyone! Can't believe we're next month!!

Loveinapril, your employers sound awful. So unfair to put undue stress on you like that! To hell with them though, look after yourself!

Spotty, delighted to hear you managed to get sorted with the hypnobirthing classes. Hope the first one went well and you find them useful overall.

Blackbird, did you get your bag done? I haven't done mine yet even though I've been threatening to do so for weeks now!!

Finishing up this week, a couple of weeks early, and even though I freaked out at the thought originally I'm now looking forward to it. I'm waking a good bit during the night as my left hip gets sore from sleeping on it constantly and I'm just finding the bump heavy and awkward for moving around work all day! So to hell with it, I have plenty to do at home so will happily potter about for a few weeks!

littlebsci wrote: »
    Finishing up this week, a couple of weeks early, and even though I freaked out at the thought originally I'm now looking forward to it. I'm waking a good bit during the night as my left hip gets sore from sleeping on it constantly and I'm just finding the bump heavy and awkward for moving around work all day! So to hell with it, I have plenty to do at home so will happily potter about for a few weeks!

I am exactly the same- feeling lots of aches in my hips after sleeping. I can definitely notice the heaviness in my bump. I am quite overweight and carry my weight in my belly but this is on another level. I have lost over a stone with the gestational diabetes diet so feel like the belly I have now is mostly baby!

When I asked for a cert from the hospital, the doctor gave me one til about two weeks before I am due to finish up. She said "you never know, you may be bored at home". The chance would be a fine thing! Between the diabetes clinic, GP visits, maternal medicine, support midwife appointments and antenatal appointments, I have 2-3 pregnancy appointments a week. I have a cold at the minute so there has been no nesting done in the past week but I have a list as long as my arm to get done! I don't know how people do this with kids.

I did most of my bag littlebsci, just have to throw in the last minute stuff like toiletries and clothes for going home in. Have all the baby clothes from last time washed and ready to go. Dreamt last night I had a boy! Great that you're finishing up work this week, will be nice to get some rest before baby arrives. I've another few weeks left but I'd say I'll finish a week or two early.

Have any of ye settled on names? We've discussed it very little and have nothing we both love for either gender!

Janey, Loveinapril you really wouldn't be getting much time to get comfortable at home! I carry my extra weight on my hips/thighs so I've been wondering if that's it or if I've got a somewhat trapped nerve or something. At least it's ok during the day though!

I seem to have a whopper mental block about doing the bag Blackbird, just need to bloody get on with it now!!

Just had an appointment with the midwife. Head engaged which is great cos I was convinced the hardness I was feeling at the top of my bump was the baby's back and he/she had turned again, turns out I've been feeling Braxton Hicks and not realising it... Ha!!

We have one boy's name picked but we're struggling to pick a girl's name, the list still has 5 or so on it! I always thought it'd be the other way around as I teach boys so this has thrown me for a loop!

We have two names for each gender, but prefer one of each, but still open to others! Our surname is awkward so it limits us a bit.

We found a girls name easy last time. The problem this time is that the other girls names I love are quite similar to our daughter's name! I find boys names a serious struggle, there's one that I like but none that I love

• Advertisement
Advertisement