Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

November 2017 Babies Club

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Welcome MrsBB :)

Another hospital appointment done, the doctors are always so nice and level headed. Midwife apparently "prescribed" iron supplement at last appointment, prescribing means she scribbled the name of a brand inside my white booklet in a random spot, I hadn't even seen it scribbled there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭LCD

Scan yesterday in Rotunda. Baby has hair, bit crazy to think of that!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Psychologeeee

LCD wrote: »
    Scan yesterday in Rotunda. Baby has hair, bit crazy to think of that!!!

Wow, I had no idea that a scan could identify hair!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 MrsBB

That's amazing!!

• Advertisement

Up since 2am with acid indigestion :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭littlebsci

Hope it has passed Spotty!!

littlebsci wrote: »
    Hope it has passed Spotty!!

It has, I think only because I haven't eaten since dinner :( Sent husband out for gaviscon before he got called into work, things are bad if I actually end up drinking it...

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭blackbird86

Sounds awful. Mine hasn't gotten anywhere near that bad yet. And strangely nighttime is when I get the most relief, lying down on my side.

Had a scare last week with a bleed that landed me in hospital for two days. All fine in the end thankfully.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,925 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

If the heartburn is really bad your doctor can prescribe Zantac for it - I just got some the other day. You can buy Zantac over the counter but it only comes in packs of 6, the GP prescribed me a pack of 60.

• Advertisement

Blackbird that must've been scary, two days is a long time to end up in for a bleed.

Toots I had heartburn on my last pregnancy and that wasn't at all as bad as this acid reflux/indigestion. But up until last night it was manageable with Rennies which was why I hadn't mentioned it to the gp, I'm seeing her Thursday so definitely going to say it then.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,925 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Blackbird that must've been scary, two days is a long time to end up in for a bleed.

Toots I had heartburn on my last pregnancy and that wasn't at all as bad as this acid reflux/indigestion. But up until last night it was manageable with Rennies which was why I hadn't mentioned it to the gp, I'm seeing her Thursday so definitely going to say it then.

Definitely do, the Zantac is a bit more heavy duty than the rennie - it can keep reflux at bay for up to 12 hours. I'm lucky in that I've only had to take it twice so far but both times it's worked really well. I remember towards the end of my last pregnancy the reflux got so bad that I had to sleep in an almost sitting position.

Oh yeah I've been sleeping practically sitting up for ages, but usually with that and just two rennies sometime in the night I was fine. Thursday's gp appt can't come quick enough!!

Acid reflux is definitely way worse than heartburn. I had it bad yesterday evening after eating some choc chip shortbread, that's off the menu now! Hopefully the zantac will make a difference for you. It never did a thing for me, though I've heard lots of people rave about it. I've never found anything that helped me with it

Gaviscon got me 5.5 straight hours of sleep, not enough but still better than 2 hours! The dog barking at the postman woke me and our post comes really early, not cool!

The gaviscon liquid seems to be more effective than the rennies, but on the down side.... it's so gross! I got really bad reflux one time when I was on strong painkillers and the doctor prescribed me Nexium to stop it. They were brilliant - 1 tablet kept me totally acid free for 24 hours. Unfortunately they're not safe for use during pregnancy - AFAIK the Zantac is the strongest you can get.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Also be careful of Rennies....i know Gaviscon used to be the only one that was safe for pregnancy use, but that may have changed.Rennies can cause severe constipation if you take too much.

I find Gaviscon aniseed liquid the most effective, much as I dislike it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

I find the peppermint gaviscon grand and I wouldnt be good taking rotten tasting medication.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

Toots wrote: »
    The gaviscon liquid seems to be more effective than the rennies, but on the down side.... it's so gross! I got really bad reflux one time when I was on strong painkillers and the doctor prescribed me Nexium to stop it. They were brilliant - 1 tablet kept me totally acid free for 24 hours. Unfortunately they're not safe for use during pregnancy - AFAIK the Zantac is the strongest you can get.

Nope there is ranitidine, losec and ompreazole which are all safe in pregnancy. However if Gaviscon is working, they won’t prescribe these.

shesty wrote: »
    Also be careful of Rennies....i know Gaviscon used to be the only one that was safe for pregnancy use, but that may have changed.Rennies can cause severe constipation if you take too much.

I found that out the hard way on my first pregnancy :( Also, apparently drinking too much milk will also cause constipation - found that out the hard way too, when I decided to use milk in place of the rennies. :o

• Advertisement

I've been taking the Rennies for months but only came near the max recommended amount on Sunday, I don't suffer from constipation at all when pregnant (a nifty skill!) so no worries there. I would vomit if I tried to drink the aniseed one, there are few things I hate more in this world than aniseed. The peppermint one is awful too but I can tolerate it, we used to drink a peppermint shot in college which gave me some tolerance for it :D Looks like I'll be ceremoniously dumping the Gaviscon bottle again this time after birth, was hoping to get away without having to use it!

I think it's the texture of the gaviscon that gets me, as opposed to the taste. It's so gloopy!

Toots wrote: »
    I think it's the texture of the gaviscon that gets me, as opposed to the taste. It's so gloopy!

Everything about it is just WRONG! I drank it last night and basically gagged and begged my husband to distract me until it went away.

It's not easy to drink alright, no way I could drink the aniseed one, puke. I can tolerate the peppermint one. I remember assuming it'd all be gone the moment I gave birth but it took a while to go away completely. I had to ask the midwife for gaviscon in the hospital the evening after giving birth cos I was in bits with heartburn!

Mine went immediately, as soon as I got back to my room from special care the following day I fecked it in the bin!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭LCD

Wow, I had no idea that a scan could identify hair!!

I couldn't spot it but doctor commented that the wet patches were hair. To be honest the early scans were brilliant as you can see a full person, now I can't make out anything. Once I hear "strong heartbeat" and "everything looks good" I am happy

Yeah it's so tough to see anything on scans at this stage, just head, leg, that's it!

Bags packed, freezer half stocked, I am READY! I was admitted at 36 week appt last time, that's next Monday, if I get to walk out of hospital after that appointment I won't know what to do with myself :D

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Psychologeeee

LCD wrote: »
    I couldn't spot it but doctor commented that the wet patches were hair. To be honest the early scans were brilliant as you can see a full person, now I can't make out anything. Once I hear "strong heartbeat" and "everything looks good" I am happy

Do they allow you to video/record during a scan? You bring up a really good point about not hearing everything thats said once you get good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Juicyfruit

38 weeks tomorrow. Think I'm just about ready, bags packed, house relatively sorted, few bits to do today and then I'm good to go I think!

Had midwife appt yesterday and all looking good, baby still head down so that's good as thought he/she had flipped over the past week.

Feeling fine overall and can't believe there's only 2 weeks left, i have a strong feeling I might go early but went almost 2 weeks over with first so could just be wishful thinking!

Hope everyone else is doing well :)

• Advertisement

I think I'm doing the wishful thinking of going early too. My son was born just before 37 weeks by emcs but I never ever, not once, had cramps, painful Braxton hicks, increased pressure low down, etc, before that. The midwives told me I was having Braxton hicks in the days before he was born but I never felt them. This time around I've been having the "period" type cramps, aches down my legs, lots of pressure and strong but as yet not painful Braxton hicks. First week of November would suit me perfectly, I find the appts so stressful and my husband works so much in December, this November 21st due date or after would be just inconvenient :D

Realistically I don't care if I go two weeks over once I don't have to spend a prolonged time in hospital this time.

Advertisement