Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

November 2017 Babies Club

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭ruahead

Yeah I got a standard nursing pillow too. Good for putting them in to keep upright after feeding and prop for breastfeeding. Sit back into chair when feeding, I've just started this last few days .. also wear a bra. I didn't at first as maternity ones were too tight and the weight of new boobs didn't help. Trying upper arm yoga too. Defo will get massage soon...

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭blackbird86

My little guy is piling on the weight, breastfeeding is going great. He was 10oz over his birth weight at the two week check! He doesn't like to sleep at night at all though, last night he didn't go asleep til 1am and was then awake from 2:45 - 7am :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 29 mawn_g

Hi guys!! Glad to hear people doing well despite some night and day confusion. Same happening in this house. Just wondering has anyone any experience of haaka pump? How soon after starting breastfeeding is it likely to work....i almost never intact only happened once have any milk leaking. I'm only coming up two weeks though but just wondering when might be a good time to start as I want to build up a bit of milk in freezer for just in cases.

Not sure of haaka or is that a typo. If you mean pumping I've been pumping since day 4. No issues so far, used the expressed milk a lot at night but don't anymore as have to use within 5 hours and once or twice had to wake her up to use it. Now just pump if going out for the day as less hassle feeding when out in public. I will build in confidence I'm sure. May get 1 or 2 breast feeding tops too. Pulling up jumper etc annoying in public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

I got a Haakaa, used it last week when baby was about a week old as one side started leaking when he was on the other side so I took my chance and got a good bit! It's not strictly pumping/expressing it's more like just collecting the milk that was going to leak. I found it collected a lot considering I used to get very little even with electric pump last time. It's usually not recommended to start pumping until around six weeks when supply is well established, I might start saving what the Haakaa gets soon but for now I've only used it to slightly relieve engorgement and then my toddler stole the contents!

Baby is two weeks old today and is 300g past his birth weight, delighted with that :) Have found my new ring sling great for feeding in when out and about.

• Advertisement

Ruahead why do you have to use it within 5 hours, is it kept refrigerated? Could you not freeze it?

I' d taken out of fridge and it was at room temp 5 hours. The midwives said to me that once out of fridge it just lasts 5 hours. I think if I was freezing it i'd do it straight from pump or straight from fridge. That was a rare night when she slept over 5 hours, hated to wake her but didn't want to waste 100 ml.

I' d taken out of fridge and it was at room temp 5 hours. The midwives said to me that once out of fridge it just lasts 5 hours. I think if I was freezing it i'd do it straight from pump or straight from fridge. That was a rare night when she slept over 5 hours, hated to wake her but didn't want to waste 100 ml.

Ah ok, I thought you meant five hours in total rather than five hours out of fridge. You can freeze it a few hours after pumping, doesn't have to be straight away after pumping. Might even be up to 24 hours after once refrigerated but don't quote me on that as I'm sick and my head's fuzzy!

Yeah thanks, I must start getting those freezer bags on the go. Good to build up a store. Just googled haaka pump, it s not electric or manual , does it just work ?I've an electric tomee tipee, does the job.

• Advertisement

Yeah it just uses suction to stay on and get going.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭quinevere

I’m going to start to express tomorrow and to allow for some daddy bonding time we’re only 3 weeks today but I feel like daddy not getting much time At the moment and want to allow for bonding ... baby 1 lb 2 oz over birth weight so hoping this doesn’t impact supply but as using the milk that night it should balance out.. only have a manual pump at mpmemt as I want to see how expressing goes and going to try express in the morning...

Cool good luck. Incase you don't know it's best to express straight after a feed, that way you won't be taking from baby's supply and won't be empty for her next feed.

There's lots of things that dad can do to bond too other than feeding, winding, baths, cuddles while you shower/chill/eat/sleep :)

Thanks we got 80 ml this morning Sitting in the fridge ... has anyone registered the birth yet I’m guessing there is no way to book an appointment you just go in and wait.. how Longs the wait?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭me and the biz

We went in there Thursday to the office in Naas and we were waiting five minutes and had the cert a few minutes later. Quick and painless

Went to Dublin on Friday morning we’re their about 35 mins not as bad as I thought.. it was harder getting into Dublin city centre ...

How is everyone getting on? Good here, 6 weeks old and he's piling on the weight, can't believe how quickly it's going!

Glad to hear he doing well for you @blackbird86. My wee man is 5 weeks today and also gaining weight really well, he suffers quite badly with wind....a wee bit of boiled cooled water eases it a little bit. Tried infacol and colief(found colief tricky as never had enough milk expressed to mix rhe colief with) to no avail gripe water next on list but interested in any other suggestions.....
    Hope everyone is all set for their firsr christmas with their new arrivals!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

How is everyone getting on? Good here, 6 weeks old and he's piling on the weight, can't believe how quickly it's going!

Settling into our new life and new routine.
    7 weeks old and sleeping 6+ hours now.
    Still won't nap for long during the day though and has started crying/screaming for an hour or so in the evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

My little fella has lots of wind too, Mawn. He is 5 weeks. We used Infacol for a couple of weeks but that seemed to make him really pukey. We have used gripe water a few times but I don't know if that made any difference. We are combination feeding. He gets formula at about 11pm and 3am or whatever feeds occur during those times. He has been cluster feeding during the days which is exhausting. He could feed every 2 hours for 20 minutes. 20 minutes to get wind up, another 20 to settle him on my chest. By the time I change him and boil the kettle it is time to feed again.
    I had intended on loads of winter walks but I am just about getting showered each day so have not been getting out much at all. It is way harder than I thought! My husband is taking to it like a duck to water though.

Doing good here, except that at the moment I'm gone home for Christmas, husband isn't here yet so I'm dealing with a windy 5 week old and a restless clingy 2.5 year old all night every night on my own! At home my husband sleeps with the toddler so I'm exhausted now sleeping (or more not sleeping) every night.

He's a puker but is gaining weight so well, I actually didn't know breastfed babies could gain a whole pound a week until now. Everything I own has been puked on though, many many times!

I've been back driving since last week, it's amazing :D Finally got out to see friends and go back to groups, as well as not driving I was really isolated because I had a respiratory infection and my toddler and I both then had some sort of bug, so it really curtailed our activities. Survived the 3 hour drive home to my mums with both of them which was great, been getting to lots of groups, visiting friends and meeting them for lunch as my mum is being good enough to take my older son for a while, babies are so much easier and more portable in a sling than a crazy toddler!

Re driving for anyone post section did you just drive again a 6 week so long as you felt fit to do emergency stop or did you wait till you seen your gp?

mawn_g wrote: »
    Re driving for anyone post section did you just drive again a 6 week so long as you felt fit to do emergency stop or did you wait till you seen your gp?

It depends on your insurance company and their own policy on it. Mine is that you can drive whenever you feel you can you just need a letter from gp, but you don't have to even send them the letter. My gp said earliest of 4 weeks, I drove just before that out of necessity. Felt fine to drive from about 2 weeks.

It's very quiet in here! How are all the mammies and babies doing?

All good here, how are you getting on? He's not the best of sleepers so it's tiring with a toddler (oh to be able to nap when he naps like I did last time!) He's adorable though, growing like a weed, he's a little bruiser. I can't get over how quickly it's all going, I miss my little newborn!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

All good here too. Mammy and DD doing very well. Hard to credit how much she's grown, plus the last 11ish weeks have just flown by.

Had a little outing at the weekend to Avoca where DD got ratty, wouldn't settle until she was up on a shoulder and able to see what was going on around in the restaurant :):)

Is anyone using baby carriers ? I picked up the one from Aldi at the weekend but baby screams blue murder when she's put in it

Blackbird, I am not going to lie, I cannot wait for this newborn bit to be over. My son (first baby) is 9 weeks and I am delighted he is getting sturdier and is smiling back etc. I found the tiny baby stage so difficult. The sleep deprivation is something else! We combination feed, he gets breastmilk from 5am- 10pm then gets two formula bottles in the middle of the night so i can sleep. I am so excited for him getting a little older.

Will, the carriers are so subjective. We got a Baba sling when the baby was about two weeks old and he hated it, despite wanting to be up all the time. We got a Close baby carrier then about two weeks ago and I could literally knock down walls wearing him and he would sleep through it. It is great. I have cleaned the house, cooked, done the washing, ironing etc. while he snoozes in it. It is fantastic. Check out your local sling meetup to try some out. You can rent slings for about a tenner a month too. That was our plan until we found this one.

All good here, baby is 9ish weeks now and double his birth weight, I'm so shocked! My first son was a bit slower to put on weight early on after being in scbu, I don't think my supply was as good with him until later. He has lip tie and is a massive puker but luckily the lip tie isn't affecting him so far.

We have a ring sling and a Moby Aria for later, baby loves the sling, it was great after vaccinations. I'd second a sling library, Aldi one might not be ergonomic or comfortable for either/both of you?

Sleep is great thankfully, my toddler still sleeps terribly so I was owed this! We've all been sick on and off since baby was born, between respiratory infections, bugs, colds, etc, but he's always been fine and the good sleep has saved me, my poor husband has to deal with the toddler all night! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

will56 wrote: »
    Is anyone using baby carriers ? I picked up the one from Aldi at the weekend but baby screams blue murder when she's put in it

This review came up on my Facebook a couple of days ago by a sling consultant. They don’t sound great.
    http://blog.carrymekate.co.uk/post/143167136213/review-on-the-aldi-sling/amp

Advertisement