Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

November 2017 Babies Club

1192021222325»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭blackbird86

26 weeks here too and definitely nothing like baby rice.

We're in a fairly similar evening routine Will. I settle on the couch around 8 with the baby and he breastfeeds/sleeps on me. I've tried a couple of times in the last week putting him to bed at 8 but he woke upset quickly so I'm leaving him down with me for the moment. I quite enjoy the evening cuddles so don't mind. I've started bringing him up around 9:30 now, change his nappy and put him in the co-sleeper and he goes straight asleep again. My first never did that so it's a dream! He goes anywhere between 5 & 8 hours then before waking. Last night was 8.5 hours. Amazing but I'm just waiting for it all to end with a poxy sleep regression :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

The PHN nurse said to make up some baby rice with the formula and try giving it to her at one meal each day.

She said that because she's been on formula the whole time she won't have the iron stores at this stage that a breastfed baby would?

We weren't going to replace a bottle, just try her and see if she showed an interest and still give the bottle as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

will56 wrote: »

We weren't going to replace a bottle, just try her and see if she showed an interest and still give the bottle as well

That's how a baby should be weaned anyway but I would wait til your child hits 26 weeks as their gut will have matured enough to handle food. Your child will naturally start showing an interest in food at that point too; looking at your food and trying to grab it. I would advise giving real food though, veg ad fruit to start. look up baby led weaning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

The PHN nurse said to make up some baby rice with the formula and try giving it to her at one meal each day.

She said that because she's been on formula the whole time she won't have the iron stores at this stage that a breastfed baby would?

Doesn’t baby rice actually have iron though? I googled a few and the only nutritional value shown is vitamin B1.

That's how a baby should be weaned anyway but I would wait til your child hits 26 weeks as their gut will have matured enough to handle food. Your child will naturally start showing an interest in food at that point too; looking at your food and trying to grab it. I would advise giving real food though, veg ad fruit to start. look up baby led weaning.

Is there an issue thought with Baby's iron stores if we wait till 26 weeks ?
    I've done some googling but most of the information online relates to breastfed babies and not formula

• Advertisement

I've done some googling but most of the information online relates to breastfed babies and not formula

Page 8 of this UNICEF guide says 0 to 6 months breast milk or formula only.

https://www.unicef.org.uk/babyfriendly/baby-friendly-resources/leaflets-and-posters/weaning-starting-solid-food/amp/

It appears that healthy full term babies have enough iron to last at least the first six months of life. https://kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/iron/

It is mad the different bits of info we can get from medical professionals!

It’s scary! I’ve heard of a few people told by GP’s or PHNs that there is no point in breastfeeding after 6 months as there is no nutritional value! As if breast milk changes to water at the 6 month mark.

Its crazy that there is so much contradictory information.
    I have a tendency to overthink things and things like this don't help at all :(

Its crazy that there is so much contradictory information.
    I have a tendency to overthink things and things like this don't help at all :(

I am the same, so I hear the recommendations/ advice then do my own research. My own PHN is on the ball with things but mentioned baby rice too. Some just go off what they used to be told. It just makes sense to me to wait til the baby's digestive system has matured and to start with real fresh food. I just think you are setting them up for life so why start with processed stuff?!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

26 weeks seems late....is it not 24 weeks for BF babies?I don't think I could have held my pair off that long!!As to baby rice, yeah sure use it, there's nothing wrong with it, but I would do pureed carrot, pear, etc mainly.It's not that big deal a year down the road, but I know it seems a big deal at the time with your first.I can't say I have ever heard anything about baby rice amd iron-makes no sense if you think about it because you are meant to mix it with the baby's milk to start with, ie formula or breastmilk.....so I doubt it would make any difference to a baby's iron stores.The only point I've heard re:iron is to make sure they keep getting a recommended amount of milk (formula or breastmilk) up to age 1, as cow's milk doesm't contain the iron they need up to that age.

Advertisement