Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

November 2017 Babies Club

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Meathcat7

I had my private scan on Saturday so now we have an estimated due date of 11th November which makes me just over 6 weeks which is exactly what I thought I would be. It was exciting, emotional and very scary to see that tiny little blob on the screen. Baby was measuring 3.3mm on Sat and heart beating at 103bpm. We both cried a bit when we saw it. She couldn't get an image just by going pelvic so had to go in but you could see it quite clearly then.

Sh*t just got real!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

5 weeks today! I keep thinking I'm 6 weeks and then being disappointed :) It's going to be a loooong wait until a private scan.

5 weeks today! I keep thinking I'm 6 weeks and then being disappointed :) It's going to be a loooong wait until a private scan.

I booked mine the week before last and had it on 18th March so I was only waiting just over a week. Mine was in Blackrock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Meathcat7 wrote: »
    I booked mine the week before last and had it on 18th March so I was only waiting just over a week. Mine was in Blackrock.

Were they happy enough with you going at just 6 weeks? I am REALLY trying to hold on til my 10 week public scan but if I can't, I was going to go for a private one at 7/ 8 weeks. I thought they might be able to see more at that stage.

Were they happy enough with you going at just 6 weeks? I am REALLY trying to hold on til my 10 week public scan but if I can't, I was going to go for a private one at 7/ 8 weeks. I thought they might be able to see more at that stage.

Oh yeah of course they didn't mind - it's payment up front, they get paid either way!! They say that the earliest they can scan is 6 weeks and I said when I was booking that I thought I was around 6 weeks so it was ok.

I was just really anxious about it because of my previous miscarriage plus I genuinely wasn't sure how far along I was - last period was Christmas but I knew I wasn't pregnant in January or early Feb but couldn't be 100% sure. I'm glad I did it anyway, it was €105 well spent, if only to put our minds at ease. I will take any scan I can get, I am worried about how the first trimester will pan out so I'm going to take any scan I can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

Meathcat7 wrote: »
    Oh yeah of course they didn't mind - it's payment up front, they get paid either way!! They say that the earliest they can scan is 6 weeks and I said when I was booking that I thought I was around 6 weeks so it was ok.

I was just really anxious about it because of my previous miscarriage plus I genuinely wasn't sure how far along I was - last period was Christmas but I knew I wasn't pregnant in January or early Feb but couldn't be 100% sure. I'm glad I did it anyway, it was €105 well spent, if only to put our minds at ease. I will take any scan I can get, I am worried about how the first trimester will pan out so I'm going to take any scan I can.

So glad you're scan went well x

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Juicyfruit

Great to hear your scan went well Meathcat7!

Booked in for private scan next Monday, I'll be 8 weeks so looking forward to that. Still haven't told anyone which is weird as last time we told close family straight away.
    Will tell them after the scan provided everything is ok of course!

Sickness kicked in here last week but seems to have eased off today, very tired in the evenings but other than that feeling fine.

I booked a private scan for 12+2, hopefully can wait that long. Haven't told anyone close to us though was out for the match Saturday so pretty sure all my husbands friends know and his family cos hubby told them I wasn't drinking, despite the toddler staying the night at his grannies!! SIL face just lit up when he told her I wasn't drinking, here I was drinking cidona to look like bulmers, idiot!!

I am going to have to remind my dad and husband not to offer me wine at our Mother's Day lunch with my siblings. There's enough of us that it won't be noticed if I don't drink but if I am heard refusing I wonder will there be questions. We had to tell my folks as I was recently away with my mam and am usually knee deep in cocktails on holidays! Other than that, noone knows.

The wait is long because I want to wait until 8 weeks. 7 weeks is the earliest the place nearest (an hour away) will do them, went at what I was certain was 8 weeks last time and she said it was just about 7+2, so I'd prefer to wait as the chemical pregnancy may have changed my cycle slightly as it was just last month, and we can either go at bang on 7 weeks or bang on 8, husband can't make it to appt any other day during their opening hours. My work is flexible, his not at all!

I'm not a big drinker so can easily hide it in that respect, just take my one glass of wine and sip verrrry slowly. Luckily I've been overdoing the eating and drinking in recent weeks (which for me is having like, two drinks!) so people will easily believe I'm cutting back on my gluttonous ways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭littlebsci

Delighted your scan went well Meathcat. I'm booked to go for one on Wednesday cos I should be 7+4 at that stage. Looking forward to it and slightly anxious as well.

Had delightful all day nausea most of last week, St Patrick's Day was the worst of it though... Such a waste of a day off, felt like the worst hangover ever without any fun beforehand!! Even though I was cursing the nausea, now that it has eased off for a couple of days I'm swinging the opposite way and hoping that its absence isn't a bad sign... Never happy.

If all goes well with the scan this week we'll be telling my parents at the weekend, my Mam and I are heading away for a little break in a few weeks so I wouldn't like to tell her while we're away and not have my Dad knowing at the same time :-) We won't be telling anyone else until I'm post 12 weeks though and even at that, I'd like to hang on a little longer but I don't think my poor husband will last!

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭blackbird86

So glad the scan went well Meathcat. I hope everyone else's scans come around quickly! Last time I went for one around 8 weeks but I'll wait for my hospital one at 12 weeks this time.

Im extremely nauseous today, no vomiting yet. If it stays like this it'll be very manageable, fingers crossed!

We haven't told any family yet, hoping to hold off another few weeks. I've told a couple of close friends though & the girls from my boards group from my last pregnancy as we still chat all the time!

Littlebsci, I definitely had a couple of days where the sickness eased off in the first trimester last time. It did come back again soon enough. These things can really chop & change and for some people it can ease fairly early so try not to worry. At least it's only a couple of days wait til your scan :)

Did any of you have to pay to see your doctor for your initial appointment to get put on the maternity scheme thing? Last time I did but a friend of mine said that I shouldn't have paid.

Did any of you have to pay to see your doctor for your initial appointment to get put on the maternity scheme thing? Last time I did but a friend of mine said that I shouldn't have paid.

I didn't pay last time, but apparently it depends on the doctor.

I had to pay my GP Loveinapril and then she turned around a week later and said she wouldn't continue to be my GP because I want to have a home birth so now trying to find a new one. Will probably have to pay the new one too knowing my luck...HA!!

Blackbird86, I've decided to enjoy the few days without it. I might as well because all going well I could be longing for these days in a few weeks ☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Juicyfruit

Wasn't charged by GP for initial appointment either time.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭blackbird86

I can't believe your gp told you to find a new one cos you want a home birth littlebsci! Is she just against them or why was it?

I wasn't charged for my initial appointment either.

Wasn't charged here, you def shouldn't be charged, like it's a quick chat & a blood pressure test! On last pregnancy, my 1st appointment with gp was to say I thought I was miscarrying. Wanted bloods done for another issue so was charged for that. He rang to see how I got on in epu so knew I Mc'd but I still got the letter saying combined care was approved (not a nice letter to get after mc) so he was paid twice I reckon! When I went to gp this time she said the last pregnancy wasn't "completed" in their system...

Wasn't charged here, you def shouldn't be charged, like it's a quick chat & a blood pressure test! On last pregnancy, my 1st appointment with gp was to say I thought I was miscarrying. Wanted bloods done for another issue so was charged for that. He rang to see how I got on in epu so knew I Mc'd but I still got the letter saying combined care was approved (not a nice letter to get after mc) so he was paid twice I reckon! When I went to gp this time she said the last pregnancy wasn't "completed" in their system...

I went to the doctor to inform her I was pregnant and bled while giving my urine sample. It was the beginning of my miscarriage and I was charged! I have held off going to the GP this time as I engaged with the hospital myself. I will phone tomorrrow to ask about payment but I am thinking that the €60 would probably be best going towards an early scan if I choose one!

I can't believe your gp told you to find a new one cos you want a home birth littlebsci! Is she just against them or why was it?

It's a contract/insurance thing. I may not get the details fully correct but the gist of it is that the GP has a contract with the HSE to provide the mother & infant scheme and as part of that she can be called to the home birth in the case of an emergency. Now, in reality that's not going to happen (I'll transfer to hospital & the GP is probably the last person the midwife would call) but she's not prepared to take the chance. It's quite frustrating but my midwife isn't concerned at all, reckons I'll get sorted soon enough!

• Advertisement

I'd love a homebirth but it's not possible, very jealous!

I'm just hoping it'll be able to happen when push comes to shove spottybananas. Have to be prepared for it not to work out but so glad that it's a possibility from the outset.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

Just on doctor visits - it depends on the doctor whether they charge for the first one. Basically combined care which is obviously free on the public system allows for 6 visits which does not include the confirmation visit. My GP charged for first visit but I saw her 14-16 times throughout my pregnancy and was never charged. However I believe some GP's do charge over and above the 6 visits.

I'd love a homebirth but it's not possible, very jealous!

Me too!

My son's birth couldn't have ended up any further from a homebirth, I don't recommend any first time mums read those old posts :D

My son's birth couldn't have ended up any further from a homebirth, I don't recommend any first time mums read those old posts :D

Same here :(

Same here :(

I flip between blind optimism that it'll be totally different and terrified that it'll be the same or worse.

I shan't go looking!!! ☺️

Emergency section here too! At the moment I'm thinking if I go myself I'll try natural but I'll be refusing any type of induction (don't think they can induce anyway due to scar rupture risk) so if I go over it'll be a section which is highly likely, was T+11 when son was born. I've heard there's a huge difference between an emergency c & a scheduled one in terms of recovery.

• Advertisement

Well mine was an emergency section but not a crash section, so I got about 8 hours notice. It was all fine and calm, the operation itself and the recovery were all fine, I'd almost say easy, I just had a prolonged hospital stay (2 weeks, one either side of his birth), staff not knowing their arse from their elbow & other stuff that made it hell.

There's a small chance I won't get the same thing this time, in which case same as you shortstuff it'd be natural or c section, no induction due to scar. But I feel it will be a scheduled c section.

Advertisement