Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

November 2017 Babies Club

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭blackbird86

Yes she said it was amazing I'm still feeding but that I should really stop soon as it would get too much for me to be feeding while pregnant. I don't actually want to tandem feed so do want to stop in the next few months but my little one may have something to say about that, she's still very attached!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

I think it's a very personal decision to wean/tandem feed depending on the person and how busy their life is, the pregnancy, the toddler, and I think the midwife has no place telling women to wean. I don't plan on tandem feeding either, I said as much to her but she just kept going on. My son is naturally weaning with age and I think there's less milk now too, she just annoyed me so much presuming and giving inaccurate advice! She also presumed he eats very little because he feeds quite a bit, he eats everything around him.

There's loads of women happily breastfeeding through pregnancy (so says the fb groups :) ), weaning him now would be more hassle for me, he loves his milkies!

Oh I totally agree that they shouldn't be telling us to wean and giving inaccurate advice. Sounds like yours was a lot more negative about it than mine, the miscarriage comment especially would scare a lot of people!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 mawn_g

Hi ladies, congrats all round! I'm 13weeks since sunday. My gp hasn't seen me since 1st appt at 5 week and I had bloods done last week by nurse. He rang me today to send he was sending my referral to Sligo general but that i wouldn't get called for my first appointment until 18 to 20 weeks.....anyone know could this be right to not have any check up at all till then?! I have no worrying symptoms just feeling a bit lost as a first timer!

Welcome mawn_g. That sounds unusual alright not to get an appointment for that long. I would've thought there's usually a booking appointment around 12 weeks but I don't know anything about Sligo so maybe they don't do it? I'd probably get in touch with them and ask. it's a long time to wait to be seen. I had a booking appointment and scan at 12 weeks in Dublin.

I feel a lot less sick yesterday & so far today, hope this keeps up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

Hi All,

My wife and I are due 01st November 2017. This is our first so its all brand new to us.

We had our Booking appointment and first scan on the 25th April putting us bang on schedule with our own calculations.

We going to Mullingar Hospital

Got a letter in the post yesterday giving our follow up appointment for 14th July which we worked out as being 24 weeks.
    The wife rang this morning to change it as we were away but got some confusing information about the appointment.
    We thought the 20ish week appointment was the big scan, checking for anomalies etc but the secretary told her that this was just an appointment ?
    She said that after the first scan there isn't always another scan ?

Would this be right or is there a chance she got mixed up ?

We're going public and are really looking forward to the big scan but this now has my wife confused and not sure what to do, do we just turn up on the day of the appointment and see if we can get booked in for a scan ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 bumpityboo

Hi guys, I'm a newbie too, due first baby 9th November. I work in healthcare and I know that all the hospitals differ with the timing of first appointments and how many scans you get. In my hospital everyone gets a dating scan (11-14weeks) and an anomaly scan (20-24 weeks) but in other hospitals they do not always offer an anomaly scan unless you are high risk due to lack of staff and resources. If your hospital doesn't offer it there are private clinics where you can pay for a scan, just google type of scan and your area (i.e. Anomaly scan mullingar) and you should find the closest one to you. Terrible that care isn't standardised across the country!

As mentioned not all hospitals offer the anomaly scan, scanme.ie in Mullingar great, we went to them for 20 week scan as our hospital doesn't provide it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 ursa actos

My wife & I are expecting our first in mid-November. We're living in the US (she's American) and we had a confirmatory scan at 7 weeks, and a 12 week appointment yesterday. Won't have a second scan until the end of June at 18/19 weeks.
    She's had a rough first trimester with nausea but looks to be improving as we round the corner into the second trimester. Just over the 12 weeks now so going public with the news. Exciting times!

• Advertisement

Why am I sicker at 14 weeks than I've been in weeks?!

On a positive note I think I've been feeling little movements the last couple of days. A lot earlier than last time but I had an anterior placenta last time around and I didn't feel anything til around 19 weeks

I definitely felt sicker this last week (12-13) than I have yet, not fair!

Told main friends and family at the weekend, hate telling people but it's mostly over with now, the grapevine will take care of the rest!

Yeah I've felt much worse since around 13.5 weeks. Just waiting for this mythical second trimester energy and feeling great. Any day now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

13 weeks and 4 days here. I had a scan the other day and everything was good. Delighted as I have had such anxiety. The due date of my miscarriage was a couple of weeks ago and I had a really hard time with panic attacks. The scan the other day really eased a lot of stress. Overall i have had a great first trimester, just sore boobs. We are starting to tell people now which is nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭littlebsci

Hi everyone!! Welcome to all the newcomers!

All going well here. Feeling fine but am definitely more tired than usual...keep expecting a burst of energy but have realised my body is busy doing so much that maybe I can't expect to be bouncing around in the evenings! Sorry to hear you're not feeling great spottybananas and blackbird86!

I'm probably oddball but I miss the weeks we had where it was our little secret. I'm fed up of people telling me it's really exciting and having to to basically lie and say "yeah I'm really excited". Don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to meeting this little one but I'm also pragmatic about the whole thing and know it's not all going to be sweetness and light. Ugh, moan!!

Oh littlebsci we're the same, I hate telling people, hate the fuss, the attention, the questions which are just pointless because they're the same since the dawn of time. Hate the "advice", I can't have a normal conversation with my inlaws now without it just being about how I'm feeling, how I'm looking, etc etc. We only tell people we feel we have to and when we have to, I would happily tell nobody until the child was 2 weeks old!

And the "excited" stuff, I've already had a friend telling me when I'll be excited, I didn't do excitement first time around and definitely not now after the experience I had last time. People think they know everything and need to tell you so!

• Advertisement

Oh thanks be to God I'm not the only one spottybananas!! I'm actually relieved cos I was beginning to feel like I'm abnormal to feel like this!!

I had a work colleague of my husband's tell him I wasn't ready for a child last time based on a two minute conversation with me in a queue because I wasn't gushing with excitement. People are weird, not us!!

Oh the rage!!!!!

This thread has gotten very quiet! How is everyone? Can't believe I'll be 16 weeks this week!

It's very quiet isn't it! I'm 15 weeks now, feeling more tired and more heartburny/stomach not right but never actually sick, thought it would ease a bit by now!

• Advertisement

I am 15 weeks today. Have actually been doing really well. The tiredness between weeks 9 and 13 almost killed me but I feel normal enough now. Other than sensitive boobs, the whole pregnancy has been grand this far. I know I am very fortunate in that I don't have kids to run after but I do have two jobs. Other than that, I can nap when I need to.

Two jobs must be tough going Loveinapril. I reduced my meds last week and ended up not able to keep a thing down for 24 hours, I thought at 15 weeks it'd be a little better. I'm back on them again and just nauseous now, I'm not optimistic for it lifting anytime soon! Apart from that I'm ok, tiredness has definitely eased off a good bit

I had such a busy week of work last week and the same this week, between that and whingy toddler it's tough going!

I was supposed to have a gp appt this week but forgot to book it, will have to remember to call today and book for next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 mawn_g

Lord loveinapril one job is proving more than enough for me go you. Have my first scan on Wednesday morning so excited hoping it makes it all feel a bit more real. I'm beginning to see a bit of a bump I think....like tiny....but I may be me going to town on not being on a diet anymore!😂

Hi everyone! I've stayed out of the thread for the last week cos I was such a moan bag the last day I was on I didn't want to bring the whole thing down :-)

17 weeks now and feeling pretty decent. Finished work for the summer this Friday and really looking forward to being off so I can get all the jobs done in the house before I go back. Another midwife appointment this week, looking forward to that!

I'm glad the tiredness is easing off blackbird86, fingers crossed for a miraculous disappearance of the nausea soon though! Spottybananas, you​ too...the dicky tummy feeling just isn't fun. Working two jobs must be tough going Loveinapril.

If you can't have a moan when you're pregnant when can you littlebsci ;-) I'm a total whinge when I'm pregnant lol.

I was about to ask if you're going midwife led too but it's yourself who's hoping for a homebirth isn't it? I have my first appointment with the midwives in the Coombe in 2 weeks, they were so lovely last time!

My husband is in full time college so I am the sole breadwinner. He will be working a bit over the summer though. I work a day job then do a few shifts a month overnight in a residential. It is tough going but we need money so it has to be done! My job doesn't pay maternity benefit so I am trying to save so that some of our bigger bills can be covered for the 6 months I am off. Working hard now will ease some of the stress when I am learning how to mammy!

Yep Blackbird86, that's me! I'm registered with the Coombe too though and have been very impressed with it so far. All the midwives have been lovely so I'll definitely have no qualms if I have to transfer to the hospital system.

Fair play Loveinapril, whatever gives you the precious time with your baby when they come along!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20 gillymayb

Hi everyone. Total newbie here. Can't believe I didn't see this thread till now. Due 1st baby on November 16th. 17 weeks tomorrow and it's just beginning to feel real. Don't think I'll completely believe it until I'm holding a baby!
    I've had one appointment with midwife and have 1st hospital scan in 4 weeks. Feels like ages away. Had private one at 9 weeks because I couldn't wait.
    Feeling fairly normal except for wanting to eat everything around me.

Welcome and congratulations Gillymayb! I don't blame you for having the private scan at 9 weeks, there's no way I could have lasted as long as you would have had the til your hospital one!!

• Advertisement

Had 16 week gp appt (additional check up due to pre eclampsia last time). Blood pressure fine, signs of possible uti in my sample but no symptoms so she said it's probably nothing. She didn't try doppler which was a bit disappointing, this stage last time around I had started feeling some sporadic movement but none so far this time, I was hoping I'd feel it earlier on second pregnancy like some do!

I've felt movement much earlier this time but it's still very sporadic and quite subtle at the moment. Looking forward to the proper kicks! I find with having a toddler that I 'forget' I'm pregnant a lot this time around. You'd think the constant nausea would be a good reminder!

I'm not looking forward to the movement from 30 weeks onwards as it was brutally uncomfortable and painful last time, so I want to enjoy the nice small ones when they happen!

Oh really, I never found it uncomfortable or sore last time. But I had an anterior placenta which would've cushioned the movement. I wonder will I notice a big difference in the strength of them later on this time around! I always enjoyed the movement last time, one of the nicer sides of pregnancy for me

I had a very small/flat bump, my organs had no extra space so it was incredibly uncomfortable when he was big, I was nearly in tears with it many times from 33-36 weeks and couldn't take deep breaths at all for the last while. He was born at 37 weeks "luckily", can't imagine if he'd gone until 40-42.

I went to 41 weeks last time. My bump never got big really and I was never uncomfortable that I remember but my god, I had the worst heartburn and acid reflux in the last couple of months. It was seriously unpleasant

Yeah I had that too! Have heartburn early this time, not a good omen. I had very severe "heartburn" the day or two before he was born but turns out that's a symptom of pre eclampsia, gastric pain :/

• Registered Users Posts: 4 bumpityboo

How is everybody? Well at 18 weeks I'm finally feeling a bit more energy after four months of broken sleep, thank god! I'm a first timer and wondering when is the right time to get the nursery ready and start thinking about buggies etc?

bumpityboo wrote: »
    How is everybody? Well at 18 weeks I'm finally feeling a bit more energy after four months of broken sleep, thank god! I'm a first timer and wondering when is the right time to get the nursery ready and start thinking about buggies etc?

My son is over 2 and we still haven't done a nursery :D Most people I know wait until after 20 week scan but it's up to you really when you start shopping/decorating, I know others who have bought a buggy at 10 weeks it was a bargain. The only thing we need is a car seat and I think I'll buy that after 20 week scan, as at 17 weeks I currently don't feel pregnant or believe it's real. You'd think I'd be a bit more logical second time round!

• Advertisement

bumpityboo wrote: »
    I'm a first timer and wondering when is the right time to get the nursery ready and start thinking about buggies etc?

First timer here too, 17 weeks gone. I bought a few bits- cloth nappies, a pack of vests, hats and scratch mitts. I am trying to hold off until after the 21 week scan. We will test drive a pram then, and probably get that, the cot and car seat around the 6 month mark. We are currently in a one bed, so a move is on the cards before we even think of a 'nursery'. I will get/ have gotten a lot of stuff from a friend (changing table, monitors, playmat, jumperoo, steriliser) so we do have a fair few things, we just haven't bought much.

The main things I need to get are a double buggy and I'd like a co-sleeper rather than cot this time so will pick one of those up at some stage. I'm hoping to wait for some sales!

Blackbird you've reminded me I might get a cosleeper too. Still debating as I prefer baby in a separate bed early on (due to my all too real nightmares that my son was somewhere under the duvet :( ), but we're getting a superking soon rather than our current small double, so a cosleeper might do, if it even fits in beside the giant new bed!

I plan on getting a Snuzpod. I had my eye on the Chicco Next2me but apparently you can't put the side up on it without detaching it from the bed. They are around the same price anyway.

I'd love a superking! We have a king size but our toddler ends up in the bed every night (she's a terrible sleeper and it's the only way we get any sleep) and she likes to sleep sideways taking up as much room as possible!

Loveinapril I think I'm gonna get the snuzpod too. Another thing I like about it is that you can detach it and use it like a moses basket during the day

We currently have our toddler in our standard double with us with his toddler bed pushed up against it but he never sleeps on it. After 2 years of awful sleep with this set up we've decided to just squeeze the super king into our room because no doubt all of us will be in this bed for a loooong time. We'll fit nothing else in the space but it'll be worth it!!

• Advertisement

Oh god so worth it. You can't be living long term in a standard double with a toddler there too!

On another note, I haven't gotten that combined care booklet that you keep all your appointments in yet. I can't remember if I got it in the post last time or what. Have other people gotten them?

Away on holidays at the moment and I have to say the bump is quite liberating... No matter how good a shape I'm (for me) in I'm usually self conscious in a bikini, this year not a care in the world. Bump is out and proud!!

19 weeks now and although we bought our buggy ages ago cos I found it on sale we haven't bought much else, one little outfit and a couple of packs of muslins. Cannot wait to start buying stuff properly after the scan at the end of the month! Funny that I had no problem buying the buggy but am holding off buying other bits, daft really!

I love the idea of the co-sleeper but think we're going to use the crib my parents had for us as babies as our mattress is too high for them.

Blackbird I got that card at my first gp appt, same as last time round.

I'm the opposite re liberating bump, going to a spa tomorrow and don't want any grief or treatment changes so will be sucking in my gut ha!

Haha spottybananas! I get you! There's no sucking this bad boy in in my case though! :-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement