Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

ricero wrote: »
    I just hope the players pull it together for the last few games and yesterdays defeat didnt damage them. Watford away monday with the pressure on us will be difficult assuming city and utd are ahead of us by then.

Still think a city win would be the best result thursday rather than a draw as city have a easy enough run in with most games at home while utd have tough away games along with the europa league in between

Yesterday was one of the last few games. That's what's maddening about this team - 5 games, no distractions whatsoever, a pretty gentle run-in and we manage to mess that up. We're spineless especially against teams who have something to play for. The Everton match apart, pretty much every match we played in April was against teams with their feet up safe in mid-table. By that measure you'd imagine that we should be ok in the last few matches but I don't fancy us at West Ham and Southampton regularly manage to shut us out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

We have also scored 12 from set pieces, which is the same number as Everton and is a total bettered only by Chelsea, WBA, Hull, West Ham and Swansea.

In contrast, Man United and Man City have just 7 set piece goals scored, Spurs 9 and Arsenal 10. Sunderland have just 2...

Again - no breakdown of corner/free kick, just the overall figures.

The other thing to look at there is how many set pieces we've been awarded.
    I would imagine we're fairly average at converting set pieces but get more than anyone else, or nearly anyone else.

Lovren is the worst type of defender - one that thinks he can play football.

Lovren's last sentient thought was 'I think I'll move to Liverpool'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,674 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I'm of the opinion that some people on this forum can find any statistic to make our defense look like it's actually adequate for a premier league challenge...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

I'm of the opinion that some people on this forum can find any statistic to make our defense look like it's actually adequate for a premier league challenge...

Only skimmed through today's posts but I'd be staggered if anyone suggested anything of the sort.

Yesterday's result wasn't some kind of revelation.

It wasn't qualitatively different to the last 3 games we played.

Sometimes we get the result and sometimes we don't, because against poor teams we're often (always, if you're looking at the games since Christmas) dragged down to their level and the game turns into a crapshoot.

It's probably about 50/50 whether we'll get the results we need.

If Utd win even 2 of the big games they've got we're probably ****ed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Gbear wrote: »

Sometimes we get the result and sometimes we don't, because against poor teams we're often (always, if you're looking at the games since Christmas) dragged down to their level and the game turns into a crapshoot.

I reckon you'll win 3 of your remaining games and lose or draw one of them. That means we can afford to lose one game and draw one and we'll end up on the same points. There's only 2 goals in the GD now but with your goal scored that's essentially an extra +1 GD for you. If we can manage to not lose against City then we have a chance but if we lose that then I think we'll have too much to do with the fixtures we have and the fact we have only really got 15 fit Sr outfield players left.

That doesn't have to be shown because it's already been proven in 13/14.

We play and will likely always play very attacking football, so we're never going to be world beaters in defence, but we're a long way off 13/14 vintage in terms of quality up front.

The other side of that, is that even if we wanted to play more conservatively, we don't have the quality up front to get a more controlling system to work to the standard we need.

We could set up with an equivalently talented side with both full backs barely venturing over the halfway line, bringing more height into the side at the expense of the likes of Lallana, play with a dedicated DM all the time, go 4-5-1 or whatever and we could probably be one of the top 4/5 defences in the league, but we don't have the quality up front to make it pay off the way Chelsea do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

On the idea of Klopp not addressing the defence, hopefully the rumoured move for Keita is just that... would provide much more of a screen for the defence than what's there.

• Advertisement

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    On the idea of Klopp not addressing the defence, hopefully the rumoured move for Keita is just that... would provide much more of a screen for the defence than what's there.

:confused: You want him, right? Maybe it's your wording. I haven't seen much of him but he's highly rated.

mosstin wrote: »
    :confused: You want him, right? Maybe it's your wording. I haven't seen much of him but he's highly rated.

Yeah, what I mean is hopefully moving for Keita is a sign that he IS addressing the defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Yesterday's result I was expecting really, it's top four form we have, but United winning the last 3 playing well has put the pressure on, if they lost to Chelsea we'd be nearly home and dry now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Mig
    Clyne--Matip-NEW--Milner
    Can
    NEW (Keita?)
    Coutinho
    Mane--Firmino--NEW (Costa?)

Karius, Lovren, NEW (Robertson/Sessegnon), Hendo, Wiji, Lallana, NEW (Julian Brandt?)

Dunno who the centre-back would be oh yeah - van Dijk!

Would that be remotely achievable even if it's affordable affordable

Values in euros by transfermarket.com plus my own guess

van Dijk - 22m (likely e40m)
    Keita - 22m (likely e40m)
    Costa - 30m
    Robertson 10m/Sessegnon 20m
    Brandt - 20m (likely e30m)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    A few things I yammer on about here alot.

Lovren - stop trying to be fancy, keep it simple. He tried to be fancy yesterday and it allowed Palace to get on the front foot for their attack....why are you trying a f*cking diving header to clear a ball near the sideline???
    And when you are defending a corner and a big fella starts to cut in front of you, get in his f*cking way and abandon the zone. Doesn't help that Can stood still either.

Lovren just isnt very good. He has good heart (almost too good - 'I want to be captain', lol) but just doesnt have enough ability. He would be a champ at Celtic or somewhere else.
    We should also re-instate Moreno at left back. The pattented Milner hoof up the line is getting us nowhere. Alberto will try to get up the wing interchanging passes faster than Milner.

There is something to that argument alright. Milner has been something of a 'hoof merchant' recently. Moreno does have a bit of zip about him and we need more pace and enthusiasm in the team
    Get Milner in the middle to try get us moving the ball quicker throught he middle of the park. Can can't do this, neither can Lucas.

Lucas actually does look to get the ball forward quickly. Can is a bit more plodding alright.

Milner is not effective in CM though. If he was out in LWF however, he might be able to provide cover to Moreno where he at LB, and they could interchange where neccesary.

Ultimately though, I feel Klopp probably has a LWB in mind and sees Milner there as a temporary measure untill the end of the season and Moreno as someone to sell.

Lovren is the worst type of defender - one that thinks he can play football.

I like these players when they actually can play - David Luiz for example - but Lovren just can't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Having thought about yesterday, what I don't get is how Klopp had us playing.

Teams like Palace know how to play against us and Klopp still hasn't found away to play against these teams.

Passing was too slow, just going from side to side, no progress and easy to defend against.

Lack of spark up except from Coutinho meant we created nothing.

Warning signs were there in previous two games as we would not have gotten 6 points if Mignolet had not made fantastic saves and it's not fair to expect him to rescue a very poor defence all the time.

Klopp needs to come up with something new for the last 4 games who will all play the same way. Just doing the same thing all the time is not enough.

Mig
    Clyne--Matip-NEW--Milner
    Can
    NEW (Keita?)
    Coutinho

Karius, Lovren, NEW (Robertson/Sessegnon), Hendo, Wiji, Lallana, NEW (Julian Brandt?)

Costa? No thanks!

____________Mignolet (Karius)_________

_Clyne (New)__Matip__Sakho___New (Milner)

____ New (Wijnaldum)___Hendo (Can)___

__________Coutinho (Lallana)_________

_Mane (Markovic) _______Firmino (New)__

______________New (Origi)______________

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,674 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

That doesn't have to be shown because it's already been proven in 13/14.

We play and will likely always play very attacking football, so we're never going to be world beaters in defence, but we're a long way off 13/14 vintage in terms of quality up front.

The other side of that, is that even if we wanted to play more conservatively, we don't have the quality up front to get a more controlling system to work to the standard we need.

We could set up with an equivalently talented side with both full backs barely venturing over the halfway line, bringing more height into the side at the expense of the likes of Lallana, play with a dedicated DM all the time, go 4-5-1 or whatever and we could probably be one of the top 4/5 defences in the league, but we don't have the quality up front to make it pay off the way Chelsea do.

That season was, unfortunately an anomaly. In any case, we're not even lose to that kind of scoring to pull it off - and unless Luis comes back, I don;t see it every happening again.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Jayop wrote: »
    .......... fact we have only really got 15 fit Sr outfield players left.

wow, things that bad for ye?
    Judging by our bench yesterday we are as bad but Lallana is back shortly I think.
    murpho999 wrote: »

Teams like Palace now how to play against us and Klopp still hasn't found away to play against these teams.

Passing was too slow, just going from side to side, no progress and easy to defend against.

Lack of spark up front from Coutinho meant we created nothing.

Warning signs were there in previous two games as we would not have gotten 6 points if Mignolet had not made fantastic saves and it's not fair to expect him to rescue a very poor defence all the time.

Klopp needs to come up with something new for the last 4 games who will all play the same way. Just doing the same thing all the time is not enough.

the solution is Mane, but we don't have a spare one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,202 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

J Mysterio wrote: »

Mig
    Clyne--Matip-NEW--Milner
    Can
    NEW (Keita?)
    Coutinho

Costa? No thanks!

____________Mignolet (Karius)_________

_Clyne (New)__Matip__Sakho___New (Milner)

____ New (Wijnaldum)___Hendo (Can)___

__________Coutinho (Lallana)_________

_Mane (Markovic) _______Firmino (New)__

______________New (Origi)______________

Think he means Douglas not Diego

• Advertisement

paulie21 wrote: »
    Think he means Douglas not Diego

Ah yeah, fair enough so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Teams like Palace now how to play against us and Klopp still hasn't found away to play against these teams.

Lack of spark up front from Coutinho meant we created nothing.

We play like we are on a tactical crusade, just, without any meaningful tactics at all in regards to the opposition. We dont defend well as a team and we have done nothing to rectify it at all. Not in game, not in tactics, not in transfers, nothing. We play like we are heavyweights but we have a huge soft underbelly to aim at. Just a group of lads out for a jolly, win lose or draw we are no less likely to see Firmino lick the face of his bird on social media. Fairly disillusioned with it all. One more sh1te transfer window filled with 'talk' and no actions and im done with the 'regime'. Root and branch changes would be required. It will never be acceptable to have our record against the bottom half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

daithijjj wrote: »
    We play like we are on a tactical crusade, just, without any meaningful tactics at all in regards to the opposition. We dont defend well as a team and we have done nothing to rectify it at all. Not in game, not in tactics, not in transfers, nothing. We play like we are heavyweights but we have a huge soft underbelly to aim at. Just a group of lads out for a jolly, win lose or draw we are no less likely to see Firmino lick the face of his bird on social media. Fairly disillusioned with it all. One more sh1te transfer window filled with 'talk' and no actions and im done with the 'regime'. Root and branch changes would be required. It will never be acceptable to have our record against the bottom half.

I don't think Klopp's transfer windows have been bad. He's had two January windows when it's hard to get quality and one summer window when I think he did quite well.

I do wonder what more could have been done though if FSG had not had profits in the last three windows. I'm sceptical of them too and don't believe as much money will be available in the summer as rumoured.

Apart from that though it just seems that Klopp only has the team playing one way and doesn't change it for different games of sections of games.

I would have thought he'd be more adaptable.

Either way, I think we'll scramble over the line for top 4 but also realise we h have improved since last year and Rome wasn't built in a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,490 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Man U and Man City play twice before we play next Monday, we most likely will go into that game in 5th spot against a team that has won more home games than Man U.
    The pressure to win will be so much more because of the circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

van Dijk - 22m (likely e40m)€50m
    Keita - 22m (likely e40m)€40m
    Costa - 30m €40m
    Sessegnon 20m €20
    Brandt - 20m (likely e30m)€40m

€190m of the supposed €200m budget.

Honestly if we signed all those player in the summer I'd consider that a good transfer window.

To be honest I'd the only player I'd let go from the main squad is Mr Sturridge, Stewart will also leave but he hasn't been part of the main squad for a while now.

Sakho & Lucas will also leave but I'd keep love to see both kept.

With the first head transplant planned for this year would a guy like Sturridge consider one.
    Could it be the future of football, older players heads transplanted onto young fit bodies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

With the first head transplant planned for this year would a guy like Sturridge consider one.
    Could it be the future of football, older players heads transplanted onto young fit bodies.

He probably go blind or something due to over exposure of lights on operating table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

Rafa back into the PL.

Newcastle winning 4-1 against 10 men with 25 mins to go.

Umaro wrote: »
    Rafa back into the PL.

Newcastle winning 4-1 against 10 men with 25 mins to go.

Wouldn't be a man or a club I like but you have to give him respect for taking on and staying with that team would any of the so called best managers in the world do that? Doubt it.

It's ok to say he had plenty of money but a lot if teams tried to buy their way out of the championship he just about rebuilt his starting 11 in a league that most premieleague managers wouldn't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Karius /mig

Clyne(taa). matip. Tah. Sessegnon

Keita

Lallana. Coutinho

Mane Costa
    Lacazette

This for against bottom ten
    I will be raging if firmino is our striker next year.original has more assist/ goal contributions . one every 134mins compared to firminos 165..
    I'm not impressed with Brandt, I don't think he is going to break down stoke/ westbrom/crystal palace/Southampton.

• Advertisement

Great to see Rafa off the sidelines and making a difference. He needed this to stay sharp.
    It's only a matter of time before he is at a top 5 club in Premier league.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

Not many managers would have had the balls to so what Rafa did with Newcastle. That's a real affirmation of the man's character and management skills.

Great to see Rafa off the sidelines and making a difference. He needed this to stay sharp.
    It's only a matter of time before he is at a top 5 club in Premier league.

You reckon?

Chelsea - not a prayer
    Arsenal - nope
    United - nope
    City - nope
    Us - nope
    Spurs - nope

Don't see him breaking through with another club either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

I don't think Klopp's transfer windows have been bad. He's had two January windows when it's hard to get quality and one summer window when I think he did quite well.

I do wonder what more could have been done though if FSG had not had profits in the last three windows. I'm sceptical of them too and don't believe as much money will be available in the summer as rumoured.

Apart from that though it just seems that Klopp only has the team playing one way and doesn't change it for different games of sections of games.

I would have thought he'd be more adaptable.

Either way, I think we'll scramble over the line for top 4 but also realise we h have improved since last year and Rome wasn't built in a day.

I wouldnt call it 'bad' as such. What i would push on though is that given what we have all seen in the last 2 years we have spent with neglect on defence.

If Klavan and Karius is the best these people can do over a whole summer, and its more of the same this coming summer, they might as well resign before they are pushed. That level of acquiring players is not a standard befitting the stature of the club. If we cant even prise a Leicester reserve away then these people are out of their depth.

You reckon?

Chelsea - not a prayer
    Arsenal - nope
    United - nope
    City - nope
    Us - nope
    Spurs - nope

If Wenger went would you not think he would be a decent replacement? They could do an awful lot worse imagine arsenal fanny tv then ha fact blud.

You reckon?

Chelsea - not a prayer
    Arsenal - nope
    United - nope
    City - nope
    Us - nope
    Spurs - nope

If Pocahontas got the call from Barcelona and left Spurs then they could not find a better man to take over

He's should be still at Liverpool, and we would have won league by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Big summer for the club and fsg. Time to put up the cash or sell up to an arab or china man. No more mediocre signings. Top wages will get top players regardless of champions league football or not. Plenty of cash should be made avalible to klopp

jayo26 wrote: »
    If Wenger went would you not think he would be a decent replacement? They could do an awful lot worse imagine arsenal fanny tv then ha fact blud.

Did you have a stroke there?

• Advertisement

Did you have a stroke there?

Parody account taking the piss out if them.

Take a look at Arsenal Fanny TV (@ArsenalFannyTV): https://twitter.com/ArsenalFannyTV?s=09

Arsenal TV is funnier than any parody

Remarkable how Can and Origi simply let their man run past them for the goal here. We are soft as ****e.
    https://twitter.com/Watch_LFC/status/856612376677896193

Remarkable how Can and Origi simply let their man run past them for the goal here. We are soft as ****e.
    https://twitter.com/Watch_LFC/status/856612376677896193

Can and Gini are the 2 statues there. Really poor stuff.

Alonso77 wrote: »

I HATE PLAYERS who ignore the ball and try to stop a player.
    I'd get the ball full stop. I could not careless about the player.
    Ball is mine !

Can and Origi are 'marking' their men. Gini is standing not marking anyone though he's close to Benteke. Regardless, the lack of a role - or aggression - for players from set pieces is incredible.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,275 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Can is fúkin clueless in the clip. Sees the run .....goes about a foot and simply stops......useless play from him. All he had to do was continue his run and the ball would have come straight to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

10 years a Red.

Boss.

We are Liverpool 👊 #myfamily #myfriends #wearereds

18096277_417533451958977_6439045541740412928_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=MTUwMDAzNDQ4MzU4NjU3MjA2MQ%3D%3D.2

I HATE PLAYERS who ignore the ball and try to stop a player.
    I'd get the ball full stop. I could not careless about the player.
    Ball is mine !

The problem is they did neither!!,

So, for backup for our front 3, what would folks reckon of Bojan? Looked unreal at times for Stoke. but didn't really suit how they play. Might actually suit us pretty well. Decent option on the cheap. In hindsight, would have been a great loan move in January when he went to Mainz.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

ShamoBuc wrote:
    Can is fúkin clueless in the clip. Sees the run .....goes about a foot and simply stops......useless play from him. All he had to do was continue his run and the ball would have come straight to him.

Like a lot of our players he ups his game some weeks but ain't consistent enough for us to rely on every week. Same goes with the likes of Lucas, Clyne, Origi & Lovren. Never know what you get when they play. Our bench with a few injuries to starters is disgraceful too.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement